Forums/Armchair-GM

Monster Deadline Trade

Team: 2023-24 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 11, 2023
Published: Dec. 11, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Player Analysis:

Jack Campbell: An AHL/Backup goaltender. Unfortunately, I don't think he's gonna find his game, but the Hawks might as well toss him in a game and see what happens. EDM must dump this contract if they plan on getting McDavid and Draisaitl's help.

Raphael Lavoie: Former 2nd round pick is now 23 years old and needs to break into the NHL. He won't if he stays in EDM. He's a big forward that could be big on the 3rd line. Imagine him and Colton Dach on a line in the future.

Mcleod: Big speedy forward that could use more minutes on the PP and top 6 minutes. Could break out in Chicago, but I don't think he is going to in EDM. Just needs a change of scenery.

4th rounder: tossed in

2024 1st round pick (top 10 protected): Part of the Campbell dump is going to go in this trade whether they like it or not. I still think EDM will make the playoffs so it will be a later pick.

2026 1st Round Pick (Top 10 Protected, Transfers to 2027 if Top 10): This pick is also part of Campbell but the Hawks are betting on EDM not making the playoffs and not being able to keep their depth. Aging Nuge, Evander Kane, etc. Plus Drai extension.
Jason Dickinson: Dickinson is having a career year and would be a great addition to the Oiler's middle 6. At half-retained, they're also getting a penalty killer and veteran leader. Great leader and I like him.

Petr Mrazek: Mrazek has been inconsistent, but he is finally fully healthy for the first time in years. I do believe he is better than Campbell 100% and could play better than Skinner. For sure a goalie that would be worth the acquisition at the deadline.

Boris Katchouk: Depth player and could play 4th line at penalty kill

6th rounder: toss in
Trades
CHI
  1. Campbell, Jack
  2. Lavoie, Raphael
  3. McLeod, Ryan
  4. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
  5. 2025 4th round pick (EDM)
  6. 2026 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Dickinson, Jason ($1,325,000 retained)
  2. Katchouk, Boris
  3. Mrázek, Petr ($1,900,000 retained)
  4. 2026 6th round pick (CHI)
CHI
    Campbell is being dumped with 2 first rounders top 10 protected
    Lavoie = Mrazek 50% retained + 6th rounder
    Ryan Mcleod + 4th Rounder = Boris Katchouk + Jason Dickinson 50% retained
    EDM
      Blackhawks win this deal but that's because no matter what Edm is going to lose a Jack Campbell trade. A terrible trade and they're going to pay the price to dump him
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      Recapture Fees
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the TBL
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the LAK
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the DAL
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the NYR
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the CHI
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$83,500,000$71,345,082$0$5,945,000$12,154,918
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
      $4,150,000$4,150,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
      C
      RFA - 3
      $2,250,000$2,250,000
      LW, C, RW
      RFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$505,000$505K)
      LW, C
      RFA - 1
      Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      C
      RFA - 2
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW, C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      LW, C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $950,000$950,000
      C
      RFA - 1
      $874,125$874,125
      RW, C
      RFA - 1
      $4,250,000$4,250,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LW, C, RW
      UFA - 2
      $758,333$758,333
      RW
      RFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $9,500,000$9,500,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 7
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
      LD
      RFA - 3
      $4,400,000$4,400,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $962,500$962,500
      G
      RFA - 2
      $859,167$859,167 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
      LD
      RFA - 1
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
      RD
      RFA - 1
      $1,250,000$1,250,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      LW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 2
      $800,000$800,000
      RW, C
      RFA - 1
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $800,000$800,000
      LW, C
      RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 5:08 p.m.
      I'm into this. But we might be losing Katchouk. He is currently on waivers. I definitely like McLeod, Lavoie, and the picks, though.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 5:14 p.m.
      FKA Bigtittielarper
      I like this
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 5:25 p.m.
      Loyal To The Oil
      I don't see the Oil moving McLeod. He is a liked guy in the locker room, and all the thoughts you mentioned are valid, but could also be seen as reasons why we should keep him. Also moving him for a guy that was just waived would be odd. Other part of the trade seems fair.
      exo2769 liked this.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
      Quoting: tjk
      I don't see the Oil moving McLeod. He is a liked guy in the locker room, and all the thoughts you mentioned are valid, but could also be seen as reasons why we should keep him. Also moving him for a guy that was just waived would be odd. Other part of the trade seems fair.

Getting a guy through waivers can also be valuable, though. It gives teams breathing room, knowing that they have a player in the AHL that can come up any time and contribute but they aren't obligated to keep them on their roster right away. I don't think he is gonna make it through waivers, honestly. He has been great this season. Also, Katchouk has a cap hit lower than the current league minimum. Which, especially if he is through waivers, a Katchouk-Mcleod swap gives EDM $2.1m in space to maybe add elsewhere, keep Katchouk playing big minutes in Bakersfield, and then call him up for the playoffs to be a very affordable and effective bottom 6 forward. Not saying EDM would definitely do that, but there is more value there than most people would recognize.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 5:54 p.m.
      Just don't see EDM trading two firsts + cheap depth for two decent players and to get out from Campbell. I like Dickinson, but his shooting% is going fall down to earth. Mrazek has had some great games this year, but he's just been so hit and miss over the past few years and the Oilers already have a lot of experience with that

Buying Campbell out at the end of this year really isn't that bad and when more teams have more cap room, it's an easier contract to move if they choose to do that.
      tjk liked this.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 6:41 p.m.
      TheRealKyleDavidson
      Quoting: LPProductions
      Just don't see EDM trading two firsts + cheap depth for two decent players and to get out from Campbell. I like Dickinson, but his shooting% is going fall down to earth. Mrazek has had some great games this year, but he's just been so hit and miss over the past few years and the Oilers already have a lot of experience with that

Buying Campbell out at the end of this year really isn't that bad and when more teams have more cap room, it's an easier contract to move if they choose to do that.

the thing is its not easy to move. its 5 million for another 4 years. also the oilers shouldn't look for more buyouts. And also Mrazek is finally healthy for the first time in years.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:05 p.m.
      Lol instant and easy no from Oilers.

Here’s why they won’t do it: they could just buy out Campbell. They would save an average of 3M a year. And then could just go sign a mediocre goalie like Mrazek.

Doing that they save all those 1sts, Lavoie (who’s the next call up for injury), and Mcleod (who’s pretty much untouchable for the Oilers to move).
      tjk liked this.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:06 p.m.
      Quoting: Garak
      I'm into this. But we might be losing Katchouk. He is currently on waivers. I definitely like McLeod, Lavoie, and the picks, though.

Quoting: SomeonesOffended
      I like this

Well of course you would. It’s It’s a deal unrealistically in favor of the Hawks by a country mile.
      tjk liked this.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:08 p.m.
      Quoting: TheRealKyleDavidson
      the thing is its not easy to move. its 5 million for another 4 years. also the oilers shouldn't look for more buyouts. And also Mrazek is finally healthy for the first time in years.

Moving him not easy. Sure. Buying him out is very easy. They’d save 3M, then just spend the 3M on a Mrazek equivalent or better (see Blackwood). Their overall cap hit for their tandem goaltenders would remain exactly the same. And the roster which is already a Cup favorite as is, stays exactly the same.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:10 p.m.
      FKA Bigtittielarper
      Quoting: SwarmChair
      Well of course you would. It’s a deal unrealistically in favor of the Hawks by a country mile.

A first and a third to dump Campbell then you add the 3rd for mrazek then you add the second for Dickinson then you add the 3rd for kachouck and then they send you guys a 6th I’m pretty sure a second+3 thirds and a sixth equals a first lol
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:12 p.m.
      A first and a third to dump Campbell then you add the 3rd for mrazek then you add the second for Dickinson then you add the 3rd for kachouck and then they send you guys a 6th I’m pretty sure a second+3 thirds and a sixth equals a first lol

And we just gonna ignore Mcleod or what? I wouldn’t trade Mcleod straight up for a 1st.
      SomeonesOffended liked this.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:20 p.m.
      FKA Bigtittielarper
      And we just gonna ignore Mcleod or what? I wouldn’t trade Mcleod straight up for a 1st.

Okay that’s fair I did ignore him sorry but it’s close if you take him out
      SwarmChair liked this.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:22 p.m.
      Well of course you would. It’s It’s a deal unrealistically in favor of the Hawks by a country mile.

That is a ridiculous notion. CHI would be generous to send anything in return for taking on Campbell's contract. Mcleod and Lavoie are interesting players, but they aren't worth a whole lot in trade. If you think that favors CHI, you're just plain wrong. This would be a discount. Not our fault your GM signed an awful contract. I like it because we can absorb the cap hit with very little discomfort and get decent assets that help our rebuild. But the fact that CHI can do it comfortably doesn't change the price to get it done.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:28 p.m.
      That is a ridiculous notion. CHI would be generous to send anything in return for taking on Campbell's contract. Mcleod and Lavoie are interesting players, but they aren't worth a whole lot in trade. If you think that favors CHI, you're just plain wrong. This would be a discount. Not our fault your GM signed an awful contract. I like it because we can absorb the cap hit with very little discomfort and get decent assets that help our rebuild. But the fact that CHI can do it comfortably doesn't change the price to get it done.

You need to look at it from Edmontons perspective. Read above the option to buy out Campbell. An easy move that won’t disrupt the current roster and doesn’t destroy our prospects pipeline.

Teams can get greedy all they want and ask for the moon to take on Campbell. Oilers can easilly just say nahhhh. Which is exactly what they are doing.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:40 p.m.
      Okay that’s fair I did ignore him sorry but it’s close if you take him out

Without Mcleod I’d have to take a closer look at the players on offer to see if they could help us. If that’s being offered.
      SomeonesOffended liked this.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:43 p.m.
      You need to look at it from Edmontons perspective. Read above the option to buy out Campbell. An easy move that won’t disrupt the current roster and doesn’t destroy our prospects pipeline.

Teams can get greedy all they want and ask for the moon to take on Campbell. Oilers can easilly just say nahhhh. Which is exactly what they are doing.

It's not greed. It's just the price of a cap dump with that sort of salary and term. I understand what the buyout option is. But EDM still cannot do that until the summer, and they are worried about this season. Even then, what you consider a measly buyout penalty, can very quickly become a problem. Especially when it is 6 years long and especially during those two $2m+ seasons. It's certainly an option that they will have to weigh and likely not do. But if they want to dump that much cap and term, two 1sts is the bottom line price, and CHI sending anything back is generous.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:47 p.m.
      TheRealKyleDavidson

What pipeline??? Bourgault is struggling, Lavoie is 23 and hasn't established yet, Akey is significantly injured, Broberg is a bust and so is holloway. The Oilers window is gonna closed once Drai contract is up unless major moves are made.
      Garak and LivingAnew liked this.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 7:57 p.m.
      It's not greed. It's just the price of a cap dump with that sort of salary and term. I understand what the buyout option is. But EDM still cannot do that until the summer, and they are worried about this season. Even then, what you consider a measly buyout penalty, can very quickly become a problem. Especially when it is 6 years long and especially during those two $2m+ seasons. It's certainly an option that they will have to weigh and likely not do. But if they want to dump that much cap and term, two 1sts is the bottom line price, and CHI sending anything back is generous.

The thing is it’s not a critical situation in Edmonton any more on the goaltending front. Skinner who I always thought was better than Campbell anyways and would always be his 1A to Campbells 1B is on a 6 game win streak sporting one of the best save percentages in the NHL at .932. Cal Pickard looked sharp last night and nearly posted the shut out. Things have been fixed since the Coaching Change, issues that were apparent in both our last playoff runs are now gone. Heck, Campbell may even come back and be a real NHL goaltender behind this D. So the option to run with what you got plus buying out Campbell for a different look would be what they are comparing to the deals suggested here. And those deals are just too costly. If a non contending team with cap spaces to spare wants to step up and take like Broberg and a 1st for Campbell and send some useable pieces back it could work. Or the Oilers could target bad cap and try to revive that player. Anderson in Montreal for example. Risto in Philly as another example. There’s a lot more options open to Oilers than just paying out the nose to dump him. And this is what any team dealing with the Oilers need to realize, we’re willing to send futures but if the cost is too high we just look at Plan B or Plan C.
      Garak liked this.
      Dec. 11, 2023 at 8:02 p.m.
      What pipeline??? Bourgault is struggling, Lavoie is 23 and hasn't established yet, Akey is significantly injured, Broberg is a bust and so is holloway. The Oilers window is gonna closed once Drai contract is up unless major moves are made.

Lol what? Borgault is scoring down there and usually gets going at the end of the season. Lavoie is one injury away from being an NHL regular. Akey had a dislocated shoulder lol “significantly injury” and he wasn’t going to be part of the picture for atleast 2 years. Broberg isn’t a bust, he is a question mark still with plus size and elite skating that will make him a garanteed NHL defenceman(how good he is will depend on how his offensive development happens in AHL).
      Dec. 12, 2023 at 12:07 a.m.
      TheRealKyleDavidson
      Lol what? Borgault is scoring down there and usually gets going at the end of the season. Lavoie is one injury away from being an NHL regular. Akey had a dislocated shoulder lol “significantly injury” and he wasn’t going to be part of the picture for atleast 2 years. Broberg isn’t a bust, he is a question mark still with plus size and elite skating that will make him a garanteed NHL defenceman(how good he is will depend on how his offensive development happens in AHL).

Non of them are going to be significant contributors. 4th liners and bottom pairing d men at best
      Dec. 12, 2023 at 12:14 a.m.
      Non of them are going to be significant contributors. 4th liners and bottom pairing d men at best

Says who? You tears of joy tears of joy

Okay Pro Scout over here. I’m sure you have season tickets in Bakersfield and aren’t just talking out of your ass. tears of joy tears of joy
      Dec. 12, 2023 at 7:00 a.m.
      The thing is it’s not a critical situation in Edmonton any more on the goaltending front. Skinner who I always thought was better than Campbell anyways and would always be his 1A to Campbells 1B is on a 6 game win streak sporting one of the best save percentages in the NHL at .932. Cal Pickard looked sharp last night and nearly posted the shut out. Things have been fixed since the Coaching Change, issues that were apparent in both our last playoff runs are now gone. Heck, Campbell may even come back and be a real NHL goaltender behind this D. So the option to run with what you got plus buying out Campbell for a different look would be what they are comparing to the deals suggested here. And those deals are just too costly. If a non contending team with cap spaces to spare wants to step up and take like Broberg and a 1st for Campbell and send some useable pieces back it could work. Or the Oilers could target bad cap and try to revive that player. Anderson in Montreal for example. Risto in Philly as another example. There’s a lot more options open to Oilers than just paying out the nose to dump him. And this is what any team dealing with the Oilers need to realize, we’re willing to send futures but if the cost is too high we just look at Plan B or Plan C.

I completely agree. There are more options. Although, I highly doubt Campbell is ever able to come back and be an NHL goaltender, it is possible. This is just a hypothetical response to other ACGM's that have attempted to dump him on CHI many times before, saying, "if this is what EDM wants to do, this is what it is gonna cost." And, yeah, the cost likely doesn't justify the benefits of moving his contract. Mostly because, in the short term, if they are using their best assets to move his contract out, that would leave them with no assets to acquire the players that would necessitate the cap space in the first place. And in the long term, would leave their pipeline more empty than it already is.
      Dec. 12, 2023 at 12:10 p.m.
      TheRealKyleDavidson
      Says who? You tears of joy tears of joy

Okay Pro Scout over here. I’m sure you have season tickets in Bakersfield and aren’t just talking out of your ass. tears of joy tears of joy

Its as obvious as day that those players aren't gonna be established players in EDM. I don't need to be a scout to know that. How many prospects have the Oilers actually drafted and developed since McDavid??? Just Bouchard and that's it and that guy is a massive liability on defense.
      Dec. 12, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.
      Its as obvious as day that those players aren't gonna be established players in EDM. I don't need to be a scout to know that. How many prospects have the Oilers actually drafted and developed since McDavid??? Just Bouchard and that's it and that guy is a massive liability on defense.

It may be worth while to look into the prospects a little more as you're valuing them based on NHL appearance rather than their actual growth potential.
      Taking that aside I do agree that Edmonton has a weaker prospect pool, we're in win now mode and have been for 3-4 years so it kinda makes sense we don't have the greatest prospect pool.

Have you watched Bouchard play at all... or paid attention to his line? I'm not saying he's Pelech out there but a massive liability? Him and Ekholm have been great, don't devalue to attempt to prove a point.

This trade is an overpay, I get the "You will need to pay to dump Campbell" argument but a fairly simple answer matches that... we don't need to move him this season...?
      You've also added back essentially no value, Mrazek has looked fine but is inconsistent so not really a plus there, Dickinson/Katchouk would need to compete to get a bottom 6 spot and once Holloway is back likely neither of them land a spot.

We can make the Broberg for Wahlstrom move and see how it pans out with a Nuge - Drai - Wahlstrom line.
      Also find a cheap 1B goalie for ~900K to cover in back-to-backs/Skinners rest days for like a 2nd or 3rd maybe.
      Those 2 deals alone make us better than this trade does, and we would only need to move Broberg and a 2nd at most to get there.
      Dec. 12, 2023 at 3:48 p.m.

uh what?

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll