SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

Jan. 9 at 1:05 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
a) I thought we were talking about players taking hometown discounts to win? In that case, Marner had the leverage and decided not to take a discount...
b) Big raise? 1.6 million dollars in the cap world, isn't that big of a raise... A raise that is big though, is 3.4 million dollars or 4.1 million dollars
c) you have to start somewhere though... And out of the 4, Marner and JT's contracts are coming up bc they screwed up Nylander's, winning culture starts somewhere...
d) It did though... It set the precedent that Leafs stars don't have to sign 8 years...
e)He did
f)That's exactly what I'm saying
g) Are you talking about at time of signing? BC Matthews would have a similar cap hit to Mackinnon at time of signing and a percent lower than McDavid when IMO, I'd put Matthews closer to McDavid's percent then Mackinnon's

on g)....yes, at the time of signing, Matthews' deal fell inbetween McKinnon and McDavid for a cap % point of view....which takes into account the cap ceiling when the deal is signed
Jan. 9 at 1:10 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
Minten needs a year with the marlies

I know he had a feel good but thats a kid whose gonna need some time

Probs Steeves and Kokkonen

Benoit technically already here as #7

I think putting Minten in the minors could make his confidence lower... Would rather put his with guys that he can start getting used to

Kokonen might be it...

And technically, Benoit's the #8 but Klingberg injured
Jan. 9 at 1:11 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Juice
Which Marlies will no longer be waiver exempt? That's usually a good indicator of who makes the squad out of training camp. When they gave Woll his extension last year we knew the writing was on the wall that he'd be on the Leafs this year because they wouldn't risk losing him to waivers.

Abruzzese, Holmberg, Rifai, Robertson, and Steeves.

I think Abruzzese is a trade candidate, he's been fantastic with the Marlies (and looked good in his 2 games with the Leafs last season), but there is no discernable role for him on the roster. Holmberg will no doubt make the roster. He's exactly the kind of player the Leafs need. Rifai is a guy who the organization clearly likes a lot (and for good reason), so I dont think its a stretch to suggest giving him a look next season. Could be another Benoit. Robertson kinda seems like he's going to get traded, Keefe doesn't utilize him a lot and the Leafs are looking to improve without trading Minten, Cowan, or our first. Steeves should 100% make the roster next year, hell he could be on it now. Such a fantastic player, he's been excellent with the Marlies and looked great in the past 2 preseasons.
Jan. 9 at 1:11 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
on g)....yes, at the time of signing, Matthews' deal fell inbetween McKinnon and McDavid for a cap % point of view....which takes into account the cap ceiling when the deal is signed

That's what I meant, Matthews, assuming cap goes to 87.7 mill = 15.1%
Mackinnon: 15.15%
McDavid: 16.67%
Jan. 9 at 1:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Which Marlies will no longer be waiver exempt? That's usually a good indicator of who makes the squad out of training camp. When they gave Woll his extension last year we knew the writing was on the wall that he'd be on the Leafs this year because they wouldn't risk losing him to waivers.

Abrusseze but hes probs getting moved in a Tanev deal

Steeves (I see 4th line next year)

Raifai (#7 or potential no QO)

Robertson (Either here on 3rd line or traded)

Holmberg (Im getting trade vibes rn)
Jan. 9 at 2:00 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Abrusseze but hes probs getting moved in a Tanev deal

Steeves (I see 4th line next year)

Raifai (#7 or potential no QO)

Robertson (Either here on 3rd line or traded)

Holmberg (Im getting trade vibes rn)

Rifai is already under contract next season. He's a Benoit 2.0 and I really hope he gets an extended look with the Leafs next season. I could honestly see Robertson being dealt in some kind of a prospect swap. Maybe try getting Helleson out of Anaheim. Holmberg seems like a lock for 3C next year, I think the Leafs will choose Bert over Domi and sub Holmberg into Domi's role
Jan. 9 at 2:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 9 at 2:10 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Rifai is already under contract next season. He's a Benoit 2.0 and I really hope he gets an extended look with the Leafs next season. I could honestly see Robertson being dealt in some kind of a prospect swap. Maybe try getting Helleson out of Anaheim. Holmberg seems like a lock for 3C next year, I think the Leafs will choose Bert over Domi and sub Holmberg into Domi's role

I think Robertson's just pkg off for a Dman or bottom 6 forward line Henrique

Dont see a prospect swap.

As rn im getting the sense were either gonna see a Tanev trade or Henrique + Lybushkin trade

Moving to Holmberg, I think hes gone. He has shown flashes but I just dont see him being the 3c. Extra guy who can fill in sure but not 3c.
Jan. 9 at 2:04 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

Is there a reason we're all "off" on Kampf? Everyone, myself included...seems to rule him out of a 3C spot...we keep talking about a defensive minded PK'ing guy at $3m or less to play that role when we may already have that guy. I think he got bumped to the 4th line so that Domi could have a role...but I'm starting to think we shouldn't automatically write him out of that spot. I can see a Gregor-Kampf-Jarnkrok line as good defensively with a bit of offensive upside and keeps us from going to trade or sign someone more expensive.
Jan. 9 at 2:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Is there a reason we're all "off" on Kampf? Everyone, myself included...seems to rule him out of a 3C spot...we keep talking about a defensive minded PK'ing guy at $3m or less to play that role when we may already have that guy. I think he got bumped to the 4th line so that Domi could have a role...but I'm starting to think we shouldn't automatically write him out of that spot. I can see a Gregor-Kampf-Jarnkrok line as good defensively with a bit of offensive upside and keeps us from going to trade or sign someone more expensive.

In general people are just going why a 4C making 2.4m without realizing having 4 good centers is a must

Look at Dallas

1c = Hintz
2c = Duchene or Seguin
3c = Johnston
4c = Faksa (3.25m btw)

Toronto rn has 4 good center guys

Matthews
Tavares
Domi
Kampf

U got offense, playmaking, puck battle, and god

Now do I think there can be a tweak yes but hey move out Robertson add Henrique and Domi got another 2-way guy on his wing who can also play 3c

But yea Kampf's a funny guy. When he gets hot he will get u 3 goals in 3 games but when hes cold hey he at least gives u more defensively. But yea funny enough people think hes the lowest XGF on the team when surprisingly its Gregor lul
Jan. 9 at 2:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So there is a way to keep Bertuzzi and Domi but it means sacrificing a bit on defense in terms of who to target (No Roy, Pesce, or Demelo)

Also factored based on if Bertuzzi decides to take a bit less but goes with term like RNH did

idea.jpg
Jan. 9 at 2:39 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
So there is a way to keep Bertuzzi and Domi but it means sacrificing a bit on defense in terms of who to target (No Roy, Pesce, or Demelo)

Also factored based on if Bertuzzi decides to take a bit less but goes with term like RNH did

idea.jpg

Defense upgrade in the offseason is a must to me, if that means bye Bertuzzi so be it.
We can run with lesser options in that spot potentially like Kubalik.

Roy would be huge and Forsling.

Moving Marner is the path forward, what, who, and how will be tricky.
oneX and Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 9 at 2:50 p.m.
In general people are just going why a 4C making 2.4m without realizing having 4 good centers is a must

Look at Dallas

1c = Hintz
2c = Duchene or Seguin
3c = Johnston
4c = Faksa (3.25m btw)

Toronto rn has 4 good center guys

Matthews
Tavares
Domi
Kampf

U got offense, playmaking, puck battle, and god

Now do I think there can be a tweak yes but hey move out Robertson add Henrique and Domi got another 2-way guy on his wing who can also play 3c

But yea Kampf's a funny guy. When he gets hot he will get u 3 goals in 3 games but when hes cold hey he at least gives u more defensively. But yea funny enough people think hes the lowest XGF on the team when surprisingly its Gregor lul

I don't even need much offense from him, really. I just found myself looking for trade targets for a 3C in the offseason and then coming back and questioning...is that guy really an upgrade of Kampf? Is that worth using assets or cap space on? Can we give a current Marlie the 4C role or cycle that between whoever is hot?

I'll reserve judgment until after the playoffs on both guys....but as of today, I don't see a great fit with Domi long term unless he is willing to sign something cheap on multi years just for the security.

I really feel he isn't great in our top 6 and isn't responsible enough for a bottom 6 role....but he can change my mind if he shows an aggressive forecheck/backcheck or raises his game a level in the playoffs without taking dumb penalties.
Jan. 9 at 2:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 9 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
Defense upgrade in the offseason is a must to me, if that means bye Bertuzzi so be it.
We can run with lesser options in that spot potentially like Kubalik.

Roy would be huge and Forsling.

Moving Marner is the path forward, what, who, and how will be tricky.

I dont see Toronto moving Marner

They give Willy 1-1.5m more than they should have, gave Matthews a 4 year deal, and Marner's where they draw the line going move on.....

Marners the Leafs best PKer and 2-way forward who in a bad year still on pace for 90 points and 30 goals. And last year was in Selke convo with Bergeron (top 3). U keep that

As I mentioned if they were to move either Marner or Willy it was gonna be at the draft last season. Its long passed

Got a feeling 12-12.5m x 8 years be on its way for him. Cause we all know they probs waiting for JT 's money to go then either bring back at a 4-5m deal or find a cheaper replacement. And also Brad learned from his experience with Willy. Guy asks for 12m dont fight it just give

As for defensive upgrades its tricky

Sure we can throw 6m at Pesce, Roy, or Demelo but whats the guarantee they will perform better than what Tanev or Walker could do

Sometimes its the guys people dont look at that end up being the better signing. As in FA almost anything can happen and its basically gambling 99% of the time
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 9 at 3:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 9 at 3:11 p.m.
I don't even need much offense from him, really. I just found myself looking for trade targets for a 3C in the offseason and then coming back and questioning...is that guy really an upgrade of Kampf? Is that worth using assets or cap space on? Can we give a current Marlie the 4C role or cycle that between whoever is hot?

I'll reserve judgment until after the playoffs on both guys....but as of today, I don't see a great fit with Domi long term unless he is willing to sign something cheap on multi years just for the security.

I really feel he isn't great in our top 6 and isn't responsible enough for a bottom 6 role....but he can change my mind if he shows an aggressive forecheck/backcheck or raises his game a level in the playoffs without taking dumb penalties.

In general Kampf's fine. Hes not bad or amazing. He just does his job and does it well. Its to bad the moment he gets his bigger deal we give him worse linemates lul

Like he went from having guys like Mikheyev, Engvall, ZAR, Lafferty, Acciari, Kerfoot, etc to Gregor, Reaves, McMann

Anyways while Willy's deal will make it tricky hopefully they can find him some linemates or hopefully things improve. Reaves in rotation is fine as matchups are good for certain settings (when other team got enforcer)

There should be some interesting players potentially not getting QO maybe we can swing the fences and get 2 nice pieces to play with him next year

As for Bertuzzi he and JT have been really good together and with Nylander that line is scary. Defensively meh but offensively wow. Playoffs are what im waiting for but at the same time when u watch his one glove pass u can see the brace. Hes not 100% rn. If that hand gets healthy we could see Boston boy come back
Jan. 9 at 3:09 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

They give Willy 1-1.5m more than they should have, gave Matthews a 4 year deal, and Marner's where they draw the line going move on.....

Marners the Leafs best PKer and 2-way forward who in a bad year still on pace for 90 points and 30 goals. And last year was in Selke convo with Bergeron (top 3). U keep that

As I mentioned if they were to move either Marner or Willy it was gonna be at the draft last season. Its long passed

Got a feeling 12-12.5m x 8 years be on its way for him. Cause we all know they probs waiting for JT 's money to go then either bring back at a 4-5m deal or find a cheaper replacement. And also Brad learned from his experience with Willy. Guy asks for 12m dont fight it just give

Sure we can throw 6m at Pesce, Roy, or Demelo but whats the guarantee they will perform better than what Tanev or Walker could do

Sometimes its the guys people dont look at that end up being the better signing. As in FA almost anything can happen and its basically gambling 99% of the time

The bed is now made with Nylander.

Moving on from Marner is to ensure roster balance so the next few years don't go like the last few.

Do you really want to repeat the same mistakes???
Definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over thinking you will get a different result.

I would like some real input on Marner trade, I have doing it my head for 5 months and I'm stuck due with the direction
Jan. 9 at 3:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 9 at 3:20 p.m.

Moving on from Marner is to ensure roster balance so the next few years don't go like the last few.

Definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over thinking you will get a different result.

I would like some real input on Marner trade, I have doing it my head for 5 months and I'm stuck due with the direction

If they wanted to do that lets be real they would have moved on from Willy first then watched Marner. If they wanted to draw the line it would have been after Matthews extended

As if that was the concern Willy would have not been extended and especially for that amount. Clearly management wants to keep these three around even if they got to overpay one or two of them to do so.

And Marner aint gonna waive so there's no input to be had. Why would a kid from Toronto and who loves playing here go 'yea sure I will waive my NMC lul". And even if he did were getting pennies to the dollar in any deal "basically we lose"

12-12.5m x 8 years is coming and for Brad sign it early and dont wait for him to drop 150 points and demand 13-14m

But yea the change will come via JT retiring or signing for way less thats most likely the plan rn
Jan. 9 at 3:21 p.m.
In general Kampf's fine. Hes not bad or amazing. He just does his job and does it well. Its to bad the moment he gets his bigger deal we give him worse linemates lul

Like he went from having guys like Mikheyev, Engvall, ZAR, Lafferty, Acciari, Kerfoot, etc to Gregor, Reaves, McMann

Anyways while Willy's deal will make it tricky hopefully they can find him some linemates or hopefully things improve. Reaves in rotation is fine as matchups are good for certain settings (when other team got enforcer)

There should be some interesting players potentially not getting QO maybe we can swing the fences and get 2 nice pieces to play with him next year

every year there ends up being a Gregor or Benoit type signing/PTO that ends up in a 1yr deal that pans out nicely and cheaply for us.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 9 at 3:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 9 at 3:37 p.m.
every year there ends up being a Gregor or Benoit type signing/PTO that ends up in a 1yr deal that pans out nicely and cheaply for us.

Both have been good but at the same time for the 4th line I think there needs to be tweaking this offseason

As Gregor has the lowest XGF on the team which surprised me and that line combines for like a 30% XGF which aint great . Want to bring him back but as more of a rotation than every night guy so to speak.

Would be nice like the NYI and VGK to make almost an identity 4th line

With defense, size and the ability to just be a menace.

Anyways lets see cause there could be some nice FA options

Sundqvist, Fischer, Heinen, Sherwood, etc.

As for Benoit hes for sure played his way into at least being the #6 or 7 next year. Would be very surprised if it doesnt happen
Jan. 9 at 3:40 p.m.
Rip

Kampf just doesn't have any offence and you need some at 3C
Jan. 9 at 3:42 p.m.
Rip

Yeah I would hope Treliving has learned that waiting to the season with Marner is going to be a mistake. Just get it done after this season. But if he doesn't go crazy for the rest of the year and Willy has a better playoffs again, Marner may have to accept less of a raise if a raise at all.
Jan. 9 at 4:00 p.m.

If they wanted to do that lets be real they would have moved on from Willy first then watched Marner. If they wanted to draw the line it would have been after Matthews extended

As if that was the concern Willy would have not been extended and especially for that amount. Clearly management wants to keep these three around even if they got to overpay one or two of them to do so.

And Marner aint gonna waive so there's no input to be had. Why would a kid from Toronto and who loves playing here go 'yea sure I will waive my NMC lul". And even if he did were getting pennies to the dollar in any deal "basically we lose"

12-12.5m x 8 years is coming and for Brad sign it early and dont wait for him to drop 150 points and demand 13-14m

But yea the change will come via JT retiring or signing for way less thats most likely the plan rn

I don't think it's clear one way or another which direction they'll go with Marner. Nor should it be at this point.

We don't know what this TDL and post season results will be

We don't know what the roster is going to look like next year or how the team will perform with the additions and deletions

We don't know what prospects might prove they can belong (or which show they aren't ready).

Does the team see any playoff success?

Does Marner see any playoff success?

We don't even know what the cap ceiling is going to be for that 2025-26 season

So how are any of us going to sit here today and confidently state which direction the team is going to go with on Marner?

Everyone is knee-jerking off of the Nylander deal...and the passion is great...the comments are great...but let's take a breath here.

We started the off-season with both Matthews and Nylander needing new deals. Both now have them....and one is one pace for 70 goals and the other is on pace for 115+pts...and our first reaction is to complain about it.

It wasn't long ago that we had nothing exciting up front...the post Sundin era when we never had a 1C...when it was 2011 and we were begging for Brad Richards to come here and ended up with Tim Connolly. When that transitioned to a first line of Bozak, Lupul and Kessel and it was exciting just to have a 30 goal scorer....or go back farther to the Harold Ballard days when the team would spend anything on anyone.

We all are obviously frustrated with the lack of playoff success and all have our opinions on what needs to be done to achieve it. But drafting and attracting elite talent seemed like a pipe dream for a long time. I hope we find the right mix that results in magic...but I won't be pissed off at the team for wanting to keep the elite talent or for the elite talent for choosing to get paid to stay
Jan. 9 at 4:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I don't think it's clear one way or another which direction they'll go with Marner. Nor should it be at this point.

We don't know what this TDL and post season results will be

We don't know what the roster is going to look like next year or how the team will perform with the additions and deletions

We don't know what prospects might prove they can belong (or which show they aren't ready).

Does the team see any playoff success?

Does Marner see any playoff success?

We don't even know what the cap ceiling is going to be for that 2025-26 season

So how are any of us going to sit here today and confidently state which direction the team is going to go with on Marner?

Everyone is knee-jerking off of the Nylander deal...and the passion is great...the comments are great...but let's take a breath here.

We started the off-season with both Matthews and Nylander needing new deals. Both now have them....and one is one pace for 70 goals and the other is on pace for 115+pts...and our first reaction is to complain about it.

It wasn't long ago that we had nothing exciting up front...the post Sundin era when we never had a 1C...when it was 2011 and we were begging for Brad Richards to come here and ended up with Tim Connolly. When that transitioned to a first line of Bozak, Lupul and Kessel and it was exciting just to have a 30 goal scorer....or go back farther to the Harold Ballard days when the team would spend anything on anyone.

We all are obviously frustrated with the lack of playoff success and all have our opinions on what needs to be done to achieve it. But drafting and attracting elite talent seemed like a pipe dream for a long time. I hope we find the right mix that results in magic...but I won't be pissed off at the team for wanting to keep the elite talent or for the elite talent for choosing to get paid to stay

I think the plan honestly and would not be shocked they extend Matthews, Marner, and Willy to their new deals and JT's gone

And basically were back to 2019-2023 (3 guys in double digits over 4 lul)

Cause if they wanted to move Marner it would have been when he had no trade protection. And I dont see them letting him walk for nothing

But yea sticking to the gut 12-12.5m x 8 years
Jan. 9 at 4:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: RipNasty
Yeah I would hope Treliving has learned that waiting to the season with Marner is going to be a mistake. Just get it done after this season. But if he doesn't go crazy for the rest of the year and Willy has a better playoffs again, Marner may have to accept less of a raise if a raise at all.

In general both got similar totals and their strengths come in different area's especially in playoffs

Marner get the assists off nice plays and Willy delivers the goals.

Both got over 40 points in 50 playoff games

But yea the real thing for success will be if more than two of the big 4 perform in a series. As its always two get hot and two are stone cold and vice versa

Back to contract yep in the Summer pay this kid almost what he asks. He wants 12m print that deal and sign it
RipNasty liked this.
Jan. 9 at 4:26 p.m.
Both have been good but at the same time for the 4th line I think there needs to be tweaking this offseason

As Gregor has the lowest XGF on the team which surprised me and that line combines for like a 30% XGF which aint great . Want to bring him back but as more of a rotation than every night guy so to speak.

Would be nice like the NYI and VGK to make almost an identity 4th line

With defense, size and the ability to just be a menace.

Anyways lets see cause there could be some nice FA options

Sundqvist, Fischer, Heinen, Sherwood, etc.

As for Benoit hes for sure played his way into at least being the #6 or 7 next year. Would be very surprised if it doesnt happen

ya...I more meant...there's probably a couple guys that are on nobody's radar who will impress on a PTO or be added as a depth piece that turn out to be a regular.
RipNasty liked this.
Jan. 9 at 4:29 p.m.
I think the plan honestly and would not be shocked they extend Matthews, Marner, and Willy to their new deals and JT's gone

And basically were back to 2019-2023 (3 guys in double digits over 4 lul)

Cause if they wanted to move Marner it would have been when he had no trade protection. And I dont see them letting him walk for nothing

But yea sticking to the gut 12-12.5m x 8 years

at the same time...can't expect Treliving to come in and within 2mths trade Marner. So I wouldn't put much stock in the fact that they let his NTC kick in.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll