SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

Jan. 9 at 5:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
at the same time...can't expect Treliving to come in and within 2mths trade Marner. So I wouldn't put much stock in the fact that they let his NTC kick in.

True but he was contemplating Nylander to give Bertuzzi a longer deal during last offseason but none of the offers were great.

With Marner I feel it would be the same or worse as we would probs get pennies to the dollar or even worse lul.

Either way I feel its basically sign him or lose him for nothing territory come next season. As I just cant see him waive that NMC to leave his home and team he grew up watching

Maybe he surprises us waives and they move on, but I feel were gonna see 12-12.5m incoming question is the term and other things.
Jan. 9 at 5:36 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
Defense upgrade in the offseason is a must to me, if that means bye Bertuzzi so be it.
We can run with lesser options in that spot potentially like Kubalik.

Roy would be huge and Forsling.

Moving Marner is the path forward, what, who, and how will be tricky.

I'm in the same boat here. Upgrade on defense in the off season is a must even if it means losing Bertuzzi and Domi.

Are people forgetting how bad Brodie and McCabe looked in the second round last year? Maybe a reminder might do some good.
Jan. 9 at 5:59 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: aadoyle
True but he was contemplating Nylander to give Bertuzzi a longer deal during last offseason but none of the offers were great.

With Marner I feel it would be the same or worse as we would probs get pennies to the dollar or even worse lul.

Either way I feel its basically sign him or lose him for nothing territory come next season. As I just cant see him waive that NMC to leave his home and team he grew up watching

Maybe he surprises us waives and they move on, but I feel were gonna see 12-12.5m incoming question is the term and other things.

If he refuses to wave his NMC, let him walk.
Jan. 9 at 6:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 9 at 6:07 p.m.

Thats the dumbest thing for any GM to do, sure it can work in their favor but thats very rare. TBL for instance almost lost Stamkos for nothing. And if we use Toronto we let Hyman go over a 1m difference.

Losing another 100 point player for nothing is not on Brad's to do list.

Cause if this is the logic why didnt we do the same to Willy?

Why is Marner the outlier lul

We give Nylander 1-1.5m more than we should have, give Matthews 4 years, and so all to let the third guy whose also good walk

Logic be flawed, as if this is the way of thinking why not do it to Willy what made him special. He had himself a season. What if Marner goes on to be on a 130 point pace we gonna let that walk no
Jan. 9 at 6:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 9 at 6:10 p.m.
Quoting: oneX
I'm in the same boat here. Upgrade on defense in the off season is a must even if it means losing Bertuzzi and Domi.

Are people forgetting how bad Brodie and McCabe looked in the second round last year? Maybe a reminder might do some good.

In general just cause they were bad one year does not mean they bad another. If Brad goes out and gets Tanev Brodie will be with Rielly and Tanev with McCabe.

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Tanev
Gio-Liligren

The main thing was the leafs got bullied in that season. But now they got guys who can push back. Bertuzzi had 5 goals and assists vs. FLA in 7 playoff games. If he repeats and at least 2 of the big 4 show up were set

As Cinderella wont save FLA again, Bob had himself a season but now has come down to earth. Add a Dman, and get ready for em
Jan. 9 at 6:13 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Trades.png?ex=65b04795&is=659dd295&hm=66a2c496715fc17d0497157e3f709d67d94dafe0385406d8fa32b7374247de34&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=870&height=807
2024_2025_Leafs.png?ex=65b0473a&is=659dd23a&hm=446ee98255c9af761b11ebf952a42432bdf59530ece4819544ec17a30119f2a7&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=1772&height=807

Thoughts? If we are going to trade Robertson, I'd like to try and pry one of the Ducks young defensemen away from them. Timmins seems like he's going to get dealt, doesn't seem like a Treliving guy. Regardless, my point is that the Leafs have got more than enough cap space after the Nylander deal
Jan. 9 at 6:24 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: oneX

McCabe was bad in the first round as well. And brutal to start this season. He's been better recently but he's 3rd pair guy. We need a true shutdown guy but who that is? I don't know.
oneX liked this.
Jan. 9 at 6:24 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Trades.png?ex=65b04795&is=659dd295&hm=66a2c496715fc17d0497157e3f709d67d94dafe0385406d8fa32b7374247de34&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=870&height=807
2024_2025_Leafs.png?ex=65b0473a&is=659dd23a&hm=446ee98255c9af761b11ebf952a42432bdf59530ece4819544ec17a30119f2a7&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=1772&height=807

Thoughts? If we are going to trade Robertson, I'd like to try and pry one of the Ducks young defensemen away from them. Timmins seems like he's going to get dealt, doesn't seem like a Treliving guy. Regardless, my point is that the Leafs have got more than enough cap space after the Nylander deal

I would rather have Roy or Pesce than Hanafin. I'd also fire Keefe and find a coach who's going to play Timmins because he is a good player.
Jan. 9 at 6:36 p.m.
Thats the dumbest thing for any GM to do, sure it can work in their favor but thats very rare. TBL for instance almost lost Stamkos for nothing. And if we use Toronto we let Hyman go over a 1m difference.

We give Nylander 1-1.5m more than we should have, give Matthews 4 years, and so all to let the third guy whose also good walk

Logic be flawed, as if this is the way of thinking why not do it to Willy what made him special. He had himself a season. What if Marner goes on to be on a 130 point pace we gonna let that walk no

Your logic doesn't line up for me here.

I'm not advocating for trading Marner...but to say they did 'x' for Nylander therefore they'll do 'x' for Marner isn't really sound logic. If that was the case, every GM would either re-sign all their guys or let them all walk as UFA's

While they are similar...they aren't two identical cases

1, I can guarantee that there's 0% chance the Leafs are locked in to one exact course of action with Marner, mostly because...
2, It takes two to tango....player and the team have to be happy with the terms. That goes for both an extension or trying to trade him
3. How can you say we'd probably get pennies on the dollar in a trade for Marner in one post but in the very next post say it would be the dumbest thing to do to let him walk as a UFA? In a scenario where we can't work out an extension...would having Marner for another playoff run not be more valuable than trading him for pennies on the dollar? You're cherry picking contradicting replies to try and make the point that you want Marner signed. Would Carolina be stupid for keeping Pesce to the end of this season and letting him his free agency when they could get a good return at the TDL? Tampa and Stamkos? Kings and Roy? Playoff teams rarely trade off their star pending UFA's but it also doesn't mean their locked in to getting them re-signed
Jan. 9 at 6:43 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Im really curious as to why people are so up in arms about a Marner extension. Mitch wants to be a Leaf, just like both Matthews and Nylander wanted to be. A deal will get done. If Mitch does get signed at a high number like 12.5m, then so be it. That would be a ~1.6m pay raise. Big deal. Plus, the first year that this extension kicks in is the same year that Tavares' money comes off of the books, It's literally so easy and the precedent has already been set with Nylander and Matthews. If anything, this is the contract extension that worries me least.
aadoyle, Saskleaf and oneX liked this.
Jan. 9 at 6:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
Your logic doesn't line up for me here.

I'm not advocating for trading Marner...but to say they did 'x' for Nylander therefore they'll do 'x' for Marner isn't really sound logic. If that was the case, every GM would either re-sign all their guys or let them all walk as UFA's

While they are similar...they aren't two identical cases

1, I can guarantee that there's 0% chance the Leafs are locked in to one exact course of action with Marner, mostly because...
2, It takes two to tango....player and the team have to be happy with the terms. That goes for both an extension or trying to trade him
3. How can you say we'd probably get pennies on the dollar in a trade for Marner in one post but in the very next post say it would be the dumbest thing to do to let him walk as a UFA? In a scenario where we can't work out an extension...would having Marner for another playoff run not be more valuable than trading him for pennies on the dollar? You're cherry picking contradicting replies to try and make the point that you want Marner signed. Would Carolina be stupid for keeping Pesce to the end of this season and letting him his free agency when they could get a good return at the TDL? Tampa and Stamkos? Kings and Roy? Playoff teams rarely trade off their star pending UFA's but it also doesn't mean their locked in to getting them re-signed

In general if they didnt want to have multiple guys on double digit deals Willy would have been the starting point. Marner and Willy are not that different. I would understand if Marner had a really bad season but so far what were seeing is down for him = 89-90 points lul.

If the offers for Willy were not good I doubt they would be better for Marner. Brad said so himself when he contemplated trading Willy. If a guy making 6.9m didnt get a great offer how much we expecting 10.9m Marner to get

In general its been mentioned by so many. Your not gonna get fair or good value in any trade involving Marner rn. And even then the NMC handicaps it

The time to move was before the NMC kicked in but thats long gone.
Jan. 9 at 6:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Im really curious as to why people are so up in arms about a Marner extension. Mitch wants to be a Leaf, just like both Matthews and Nylander wanted to be. A deal will get done. If Mitch does get signed at a high number like 12.5m, then so be it. That would be a ~1.6m pay raise. Big deal. Plus, the first year that this extension kicks in is the same year that Tavares' money comes off of the books, It's literally so easy and the precedent has already been set with Nylander and Matthews. If anything, this is the contract extension that worries me least.

Thats what im saying lul

Why are we going "its okay to give Nylander a 1m overpay, and Matthews 4 years" but we draw the line with Marner.

People going hes having a down season this year. On pace for 90 points and 30 goals. Thats a down season most players would dream of that

And if Willy jumped from 80 points in a contract year to 120 whats Marner gonna do 90 to 130.

In general there is flawed logic to go its okay to keep one and ditch the other due to money. If we wanted to start change Willy would have been the starting point as to avoid 4 guys making double digits. Him getting more money shows Leafs management want this guy and will overpay to keep. Got a feeling Marners the same and this time Brad knows not to wait, sign him to his 12-12.5m ask
Jan. 9 at 6:56 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Really want to see the Leafs go out and get Connor Punnett this offseason. Either sign him as an UDFA if he goes undrafted again or use a pick on the guy. He'd be a great Leaf and an extremely hard hitting addition to the blue line
Jan. 9 at 6:59 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

I'd rather say sign Forsling at say 4 million aaover Hanifin and make an upgrade else in the lineup.
Jan. 9 at 7:00 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

It's funny for you say flawed logic
considering you want to keep working with flawed logic.
Jan. 9 at 7:04 p.m.
Rip

Or resign a Selke calibre superstar.
Jan. 9 at 7:08 p.m.

In general if they didnt want to have multiple guys on double digit deals Willy would have been the starting point. Marner and Willy are not that different. I would understand if Marner had a really bad season but so far what were seeing is down for him = 89-90 points lul.

If the offers for Willy were not good I doubt they would be better for Marner. Brad said so himself when he contemplated trading Willy. If a guy making 6.9m didnt get a great offer how much we expecting 10.9m Marner to get

In general its been mentioned by so many. Your not gonna get fair or good value in any trade involving Marner rn. And even then the NMC handicaps it

The time to move was before the NMC kicked in but thats long gone.

generally...your logic here doesn't make sense. You're locked in that they have to now sign Marner because they signed Nylander and you're not open to seeing why the two aren't necessarily connected like that.

If Nylander finishes with 115pts and is a pt/gm player in the playoffs and Marner finishes with 92 points and have 0.8pts/gm...and he begins negotiations by asking for 13.25m...by your logic...we sign him because we committed to Nylander already?
Jan. 9 at 7:12 p.m.
Thats what im saying lul

Why are we going "its okay to give Nylander a 1m overpay, and Matthews 4 years" but we draw the line with Marner.

People going hes having a down season this year. On pace for 90 points and 30 goals. Thats a down season most players would dream of that

And if Willy jumped from 80 points in a contract year to 120 whats Marner gonna do 90 to 130.

In general there is flawed logic to go its okay to keep one and ditch the other due to money. If we wanted to start change Willy would have been the starting point as to avoid 4 guys making double digits. Him getting more money shows Leafs management want this guy and will overpay to keep. Got a feeling Marners the same and this time Brad knows not to wait, sign him to his 12-12.5m ask

let the record show that I'm not arguing whether they should or shouldn't re-sign Marner....I'm trying to point out to both sides of that argument that it's way too early to say.
Jan. 9 at 8:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 9 at 8:16 p.m.
Man that Holmberg goal was filthy

I know its SJS but still
Jan. 9 at 8:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Need your first NHL goal or point play the Leafs lul

Know it was tipped but yea cant be allowing the worst PP to score on you l
Jan. 9 at 8:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 9 at 8:27 p.m.
Taking this with a pinch of salt as its Serevalli but if OTT really is looking to move Chyrcun we should be all over it

We need another 2-way threat on our blue line

As so far its

9 goals combined from the blue line. Hes got 7 in OTT.
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Jan. 9 at 8:27 p.m.
Rip
Gord Miller is a good play by play guy.
Jan. 9 at 8:59 p.m.

I'll tell you why ...
Marner being the hometown guy...people expect him of all the players on this roster the hunger for playoff success being paramount.

Instead, people feel this guy is all about being paid the same as his buddies and so will be loved anyway.

Well...the truth is most reasonable fans just want someone who will go beyond being paid, beyond being elite and just do whatever it takes to win. From the last contract he signed, it doesn't seem like he's doing any of the beyond stuff mentioned above.

I think if some of what mentioned above was seen and the team still loses, the fans would still respect and love the guy but the last contract negotiations and the recent social media post regarding the Nylander contract just leaves people feeling like this guy is only really about having a top contract in the league and throwing hissy fits when he doesn't get his way.

Sorry if people don't agree, just sharing some of what I have heard from friends and other Leafs fans regarding Marner and winning in general .
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 9 at 9:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Taking this with a pinch of salt as its Serevalli but if OTT really is looking to move Chyrcun we should be all over it

We need another 2-way threat on our blue line

As so far its

9 goals combined from the blue line. Hes got 7 in OTT.

Make it 10 goals lul

But yea

Rielly-Brodie
Chycrun-McCabe
Gio-Liligren

Not bad
Jan. 9 at 9:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Never take Robertson out lul

And if u want Holmberg in rotate him and Gregor

Also lets get 10 lul

To create a post please Login or Register