SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

Jan. 15 at 11:21 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Edited Jan. 15 at 11:37 a.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
As someone who is not a Keefe guy I actually agree with not firing him in season.

This is a poorly constructed roster with some major holes to fix that can’t be accomplished till the offseason.

I would also let this season play out with Keefe and this roster and see how that plays out.

I see no other team that is searching for a HC “right now” so guys who are available today will be available in the offseason

Quoting: Juice
There's a common adage in hockey....show me a good goalie and I'll show you a good coach.

Berube joined the Blues and Binnington goes on a massive hot streak. Binnington stops being a stud and the Blues/Berube look average at best

DeBoer and Vegas is a very different situation...I think, anyway. DeBoer was a specific guy Vegas wanted...he had beat up on Vegas as coach of the Sharks and, when he became available, they moved quickly to fire Gallant and bring him in.

I don't know if the leafs view any of the available candidates as "their guy"....but I'd much rather they figure out who that guy is and then act swiftly vs just firing Keefe because we're on a little losing streak and hire from an unimpressive group just for the sake of change.

Think about it...if they hire someone new now....he's going to get the rest of this year....all of next year for sure....and almost certainly the year after that. That's a min of 2.5yrs of this core's prime. So while I'm for a coaching change if it's specific...meaning they are certain they are hiring the guy they want....I'm completely against a coaching change if it's really just an experiment of hope that the next guy can do better.

TBH, I'd go after another coach who specializes in defence, not to replace Keefe, but to help out the defence... As it look like the defensive coach is getting overwhelmed a little bit too much... BTW, this new coach isn't replacing the old one, it's more of a partnership

Ride the season out, get either Hanifin/Pesce or someone with term on the back end and see how the season plays out...

Shouldn't have signed Nylander... But what can you do and start calling teams about a potential Marner trade as 50%+ of the cap can't be allocated to 5 players
DealFinder67 liked this.
Jan. 15 at 1:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 15 at 1:18 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Fair enough but it’s hard for me to put too much faith in Jones

I mean he did shut out LA and on the second half of that b2b only allow one goal

Hes not perfect but he works.

Heck if Sammy gives the team a chance like he did Det and we can help him then no need for Hildeby

In general to me Leafs need to do 2 things as mentioned on SN

1. Make a trade for the blue line to ride what we call the trade bump. If we see improvement can argue Keefe is safe. But if that dont work we move onto 2. Fire Keefe into the sun hire a new coach and ride that wave

Go get your Tanev Brad then see how he helps this blue line. If it works great, if not then turn your eyes to Mr. Keefe
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 15 at 1:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
There's a common adage in hockey....show me a good goalie and I'll show you a good coach.

Berube joined the Blues and Binnington goes on a massive hot streak. Binnington stops being a stud and the Blues/Berube look average at best

DeBoer and Vegas is a very different situation...I think, anyway. DeBoer was a specific guy Vegas wanted...he had beat up on Vegas as coach of the Sharks and, when he became available, they moved quickly to fire Gallant and bring him in.

I don't know if the leafs view any of the available candidates as "their guy"....but I'd much rather they figure out who that guy is and then act swiftly vs just firing Keefe because we're on a little losing streak and hire from an unimpressive group just for the sake of change.

Think about it...if they hire someone new now....he's going to get the rest of this year....all of next year for sure....and almost certainly the year after that. That's a min of 2.5yrs of this core's prime. So while I'm for a coaching change if it's specific...meaning they are certain they are hiring the guy they want....I'm completely against a coaching change if it's really just an experiment of hope that the next guy can do better.

I think Gallant was fired due to Jan being a bad month for him and VGK ownership having high expectations. DeBoer sped things up but .551 win % aint great for a team wanting a cup

With some nice replacements available I think Brad's gonna heavily consider if not Shanahan will make the choice

As if they lose 6 (up to 3 rn) in a row hes gone 0 question ask as MLSE will force the issue like they did Babs.

Now to me I would first make a trade for the blue line and see where that gets us. If Brad can bring in Tanev, Larsson, or someone else to slot into the top 4 lets see what they do

As to me thats the starting point of the problems as its pretty evident were begging for a 2nd pair RD who can play defense and kill penalties

Cause rn were doing

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liligren
Benoit-Timmins
Giordano

If u can drop Liligren back down to the third and bring someone in for the second pair its not perfect but its a start. Benoit and Gio can rotate
Jan. 15 at 1:30 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Random2152
Btw I dont know how reap the rumours are but I'm hearing the JEE might be available.
That would be a guy I'd sell tons for. Unreal option for this team

Omg I'd love him too.
Real price thoughts?
Jan. 15 at 1:33 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I think Gallant was fired due to Jan being a bad month for him and VGK ownership having high expectations. DeBoer sped things up but .551 win % aint great for a team wanting a cup

With some nice replacements available I think Brad's gonna heavily consider if not Shanahan will make the choice

As if they lose 6 (up to 3 rn) in a row hes gone 0 question ask as MLSE will force the issue

Now to me I would first make a trade for the blue line and see where that gets us. If Brad can bring in Tanev, Larsson, or someone else to slot into the top 4 lets see what they do

As to me thats the starting point of the problems as its pretty evident were begging for a 2nd pair RD who can play defense and kill penalties

Not to beat a dead horse...but for me that's the big separator between the two situations. Vegas was doing ok but not to the standards they expected. DoBoer became available and he was 100% the guy they wanted.

Leafs are not performing to the expectations at this moment...but I'm not convinced any of the available options are 100% the guy they want. Have to think that Brad is going to want to set things of for the long-term here and I'd like to think he'd be closer to just riding things out this year and making bigger changes in the off-season vs tying the start of his legacy to a new coach that he isn't 100% on board with.

Again..have no idea how brad really feels about Keefe or any of the dudes available....at the same time...none of us have been in a locker room with any of these coaches to know who would truly have the most positive impact.

For me, this just doesn't feel like the year to spend assets on TDL pieces without term and it's not the moment to go after a new coach unless Brad is certain he's the guy he wants to hitch his wagon to for the next few years.
Jan. 15 at 1:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 15 at 1:50 p.m.
Not to beat a dead horse...but for me that's the big separator between the two situations. Vegas was doing ok but not to the standards they expected. DoBoer became available and he was 100% the guy they wanted.

Leafs are not performing to the expectations at this moment...but I'm not convinced any of the available options are 100% the guy they want. Have to think that Brad is going to want to set things of for the long-term here and I'd like to think he'd be closer to just riding things out this year and making bigger changes in the off-season vs tying the start of his legacy to a new coach that he isn't 100% on board with.

Again..have no idea how brad really feels about Keefe or any of the dudes available....at the same time...none of us have been in a locker room with any of these coaches to know who would truly have the most positive impact.

For me, this just doesn't feel like the year to spend assets on TDL pieces without term and it's not the moment to go after a new coach unless Brad is certain he's the guy he wants to hitch his wagon to for the next few years.

Idk I think Berube or Evason is right up Shanny's perspective of wants he just cant fire Keefe for no reason to get em. As when they were fired believe Leafs were fine. If they lose 6 in a row there's there's the reason

Now before that I would make a trade to shore up this blue line and see how Keefe does

If its 4 wins or 3-2-1 in next 6 can argue not bad.

But if in these next 6 games they really **** the bag and Brad made a move got to consider moving on cause MLSE may force the issue and go get rid of him.

As in the end Keefe's not the main issue but hes up there in the top 3 rn

But still we missed our first chance to fire and upgrade dont do it again

Cause yea we cannot do another 0 spend TDL in the Matthews era. Each competitive team gets one, TBL spends every single year even when they dont win

Go get your big shiny toy brad
Jan. 15 at 1:50 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Idk I think Berube or Evason is right up Shanny's perspective of wants he just cant fire Keefe for no reason to get em. As when they were fired believe Leafs were fine. If they lose 6 in a row there's there's the reason

Now before that I would make a trade to shore up this blue line and see how Keefe does

If its 4 wins or 3-2-1 in next 6 can argue not bad.

But if in these next 6 games they really **** the bag and Brad made a move got to consider moving on cause MLSE may force the issue and go get rid of him.

As in the end Keefe's not the main issue but hes up there in the top 3 rn

But still we missed our first chance to fire and upgrade dont do it again

Shanny might not have a job in 2 years so I don't think Tre cares what Shanny has to say
Juice liked this.
Jan. 15 at 1:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Shanny might not have a job in 2 years so I don't think Tre cares what Shanny has to say

Oh he cares as u always care what your boss has to say otherwise you wont have a job thats how it works

If thats his way of thinking hes not gonna last long

Cause remember Shanny fired Babcock to allow Dubas to promote his buddy Keefe. If Shanny feels Keefe is an issue no shot Brad dont fire. Now its only 3 games so the problem aint bad enough but if it goes to 6 games lost in a row Keefe's time as TML HC probs be up

As if Holland was allowed to fire his HC when his deals up this summer yea Shanny being up in 2 years means jack all
Jan. 15 at 1:53 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Oh he cares as u always care what your boss has to say otherwise you wont have a job thats how it works

If thats his way of thinking hes not gonna last long

I think Tre is just taking this year by year TBH...

Should look at a former player GM and coach like MSL and Yzerman...
Jan. 15 at 1:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 15 at 2:18 p.m.
I think Tre is just taking this year by year TBH...

Should look at a former player GM and coach like MSL and Yzerman...

Will leave it with this

If Holland was allowed to fire his HC even when his deals up this summer cause EDM was on a bad skid yea Shanny being up in 2 years means jack all

Should Shanny say fire Keefe and look at Berube and Evason thats whats gonna happen as what Brads gonna say no. You know what that will lead to. As basically you listen to your boss

Rn there is no true motive to do it but to instead ponder it. However if they lose 3 more in a row Keefe's probs gone as unless Brad makes a trade before then what other choice will they have to try and righten the ship

And we all know Shanny's gonna be back after the two years. MLSE loves him
Jan. 15 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’m curious, any other fans starting to come to the realization this team should just stand pat this year.

Way past coming to the realization lol
Jan. 15 at 2:23 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Will leave it with this

If Holland was allowed to fire his HC even when his deals up this summer cause EDM was on a bad skid yea Shanny being up in 2 years means jack all

Should Shanny say fire Keefe and look at Berube and Evason thats whats gonna happen as what Brads gonna say no. You know what that will lead to. As basically you listen to your boss

Rn there is no true motive to do it but to instead ponder it. However if they lose 3 more in a row Keefe's probs gone as unless Brad makes a trade before then what other choice will they have to try and righten the ship

And we all know Shanny's gonna be back after the two years. MLSE loves him

I mean, if Shanny were to say; "Hire one of these 2", Tre will hire them... But it doesn't mean that Tre will keep them if Shanny retires/gets fired
Jan. 15 at 2:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I mean, if Shanny were to say; "Hire one of these 2", Tre will hire them... But it doesn't mean that Tre will keep them if Shanny retires/gets fired

Lets be real Shanny aint going anywhere. MLSE loves the guy

If they wanted him gone he would have been let go with Dubas. Or after the MTL series MLSE would have cleaned house

Basically the GM cant make a move unless the president and or MLSE approves. Even if Shanahan's gone if MLSE board or the new President dont approve he cant do anything
Jan. 15 at 2:27 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Lets be real Shanny aint going anywhere. MLSE loves the guy

If they wanted him gone he would have been let go with Dubas. Or after the MTL series MLSE would have cleaned house

Basically the GM cant make a move unless the president and or MLSE approves. Even if Shanahan's gone if MLSE board or the new President dont approve he cant do anything

Understand that... Just pointing out that if there's a guy Tre is eyeing, they aren't available for whatever reason and that Tre might wait until that guy becomes available to make his move
Jan. 15 at 2:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 15 at 2:36 p.m.
Understand that... Just pointing out that if there's a guy Tre is eyeing, they aren't available for whatever reason and that Tre might wait until that guy becomes available to make his move

Never let Brad pick HC is what I have learned. As thats Brad's glaring weakness

As watch with Berube, Wood, available hes gonna pick Gallant or Bourdreau lul
Jan. 15 at 2:35 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Never let Brad pick HC is what I have learned. As thats Brad's glaring weakness

As watch with Berube, Wood, and Evason available hes gonna pick Gallant or Bourdreau lul

I'd like Gallant lol...

Did well with VGK and NYR...
Jan. 15 at 2:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I'd like Gallant lol...

Did well with VGK and NYR...

Gallant's a coach whose system works one year then runs its course

We saw it with VGK, NYR and FLA before that

Hes basically a 1 year wonder coach

As sure he would have a great first year then we would be wanting him fired year 2
Jan. 15 at 2:42 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Gallant's a coach whose system works one year then runs its course

We saw it with VGK, NYR and FLA before that

Hes basically a 1 year wonder coach

As sure he would have a great first year then we would be wanting him fired year 2

I'd take a SCF run and a firing over 3 1sts round exits
Jan. 15 at 2:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 15 at 2:58 p.m.
I'd take a SCF run and a firing over 3 1sts round exits

Then why not hire the man who took the Blues to the SCF and won

Berube took a team who was outside a playoff spot, got them to go on a magical run, and beat Cassidy's Bruins in 7 to win a cup for the first time since....1967

Kind of feels like destiny be singing dont yah think

As Berube's playoff's aren't awful

First year = Won cup
Second year = Second round exit
Third year = First round exit (Now there was controversy after Binnington got run over by Kadri)
Fourth year = Second round exit

Gallant meanwhile is this with VGK and NYR

VGK
First year = SCF (lost)
Second year = First round exit (Controversy)
Fired

NYR
First year = Conference finals (Lost blowing a 2-0 lead)
Second year = First round exit (Blew another 2-0 series lead)
Fired
Jan. 15 at 2:55 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Then why not hire the man who took the Blues to the SCF and won

Berube took a team who was outside a playoff spot, got them to go on a magical run, and beat Cassidy's Bruins in 7 to win a cup for the first time since....1967

Kind of feels like destiny be singing dont yah think

As Berube's playoff's aren't awful

First year = Won cup
Second year = Second round exit
Third year = First round exit (Now there was controversy after Binnington got run over by Kadri)
Fourth year = Second round exit

Its not like

Play in tournament loss (technically miss playoffs), Round 1 loss (blew 3-1 series lead), Round 1 loss, Round 2 loss

Why not hire both?

It's not like MLSE is missing money...
Jan. 15 at 2:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 15 at 3:12 p.m.
Why not hire both?

It's not like MLSE is missing money...

I dont see either wanting to be an assistant. As for some its not in their DNA.

I feel its you pick one as HC and the other goes elsewhere

Basically for these guys at this point its HC here or elsewhere. But yea with Galallant's trackrecord hes a guy to avoid

VGK
First year = SCF (lost)
Fired in January

NYR
First year = Conference finals (Lost blowing a 2-0 series lead)
Fired

As we dont want to be talking about getting a new coach only after a year lul
Jan. 15 at 4:20 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I dont see either wanting to be an assistant. As for some its not in their DNA.

I feel its you pick one as HC and the other goes elsewhere

Basically for these guys at this point its HC here or elsewhere. But yea with Galallant's trackrecord hes a guy to avoid

VGK
First year = SCF (lost)
Fired in January

NYR
First year = Conference finals (Lost blowing a 2-0 series lead)
Fired

As we dont want to be talking about getting a new coach only after a year lul

But TBF to Gallant...

The only reason the Sharks came back was from a 5 minute penalty for Pavelski falling

And Schmid had a .970 vs NYR...

It's not from a lack of trying...

And you could talk it out with both as it seems they both want to win...
Jan. 15 at 5:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
But TBF to Gallant...

The only reason the Sharks came back was from a 5 minute penalty for Pavelski falling

And Schmid had a .970 vs NYR...

It's not from a lack of trying...

And you could talk it out with both as it seems they both want to win...

Sure but then we saw the same thing with the Rangers. One good year then knocked out R1.

Guys system basically works for a year or so then yea its not great.

Can make excuses of ABC but really its a pattern thats repeated itself on 2 separate teams. What if it happened here. Would rather not be asking for another new coach after only a year and a half of the new guy lul
Jan. 15 at 5:42 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Sure but then we saw the same thing with the Rangers. One good year then knocked out R1.

Guys system basically works for a year or so then yea its not great.

Can make excuses of ABC but really its a pattern thats repeated itself on 2 separate teams. What if it happened here. Would rather not be asking for another new coach after only a year and a half of the new guy lul

I mean Schmid had a .970 in RD1 vs the Rangers...

And let's be honest, the Leafs are more talented than both the Rangers and VGK, if the org would have Gallant's back, imagine the wonders Gallant could do in TO... Might get Willy and Mitch to forecheck a heck of a lot harder
Jan. 15 at 7:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I mean Schmid had a .970 in RD1 vs the Rangers...

And let's be honest, the Leafs are more talented than both the Rangers and VGK, if the org would have Gallant's back, imagine the wonders Gallant could do in TO... Might get Willy and Mitch to forecheck a heck of a lot harder

Even then look at that rangers team. That game 7 was embarrassing by NYR. They acted like Toronto in so many game 7's

Gallant's system is a 1 year wonder than crash down to reality

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll