Forums/Armchair-GM

This is still a Kyle Dubas team

Created by: Brad_Treliving
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 17, 2024
Published: Jan. 17, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is still a Kyle Dubas team. Until Tre gets them to start playing like a playoff team that Dubas has failed to do in his 5 years in Toronto, no criticism on Tre. Besides, missing the playoffs would be healthy for these entitled players

Under Dubas they traded 5 first round picks, 5 second round picks, 7 3rd round picks, Kadri, Durzi, Moore, Grundstrom, Kapanen, Johnson, Barabanov, and McCann. Of those assets they have Jake McCabe, Mark Giordano, Kyle Clifford and peaked at 5 playoff wins.

As I said before, I expected a downfall of a season this year. Tre needs to be considered as a seller and build his real team in the offseason. Brodie and Gio are not Treliving defensemen, they are both soft so it fits the description under Dubas
Trades
TOR
  1. 2024 1st round pick (VGK)
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. Bertuzzi, Tyler ($2,250,000 retained)
TOR
  1. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Domi, Max ($1,500,000 retained)
TOR
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (DAL)
TOR
  1. 2025 2nd round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Brodie, TJ ($2,500,000 retained)
TOR
  1. 2025 7th round pick (EDM)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the COL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$73,453,117$0$0$10,046,883
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$834,167$834,167
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 17 at 9:56 a.m.
I think it’s fair to look at what Treliving has done so far.

Big moves are the mega extensions for Nylander and Matthews. Of course those are players worth keeping (and Matthews can get whatever he wants), but it looks like the Nylander contract seems like he bought at the absolute high point.

Big offseason moves were signing Domi, Bertuzzi, and Klingberg to short term high dollar deals. Have those guys lived up to their contracts?

Kampf and Reaves were the only offseason deals that received term. I think both of those deals look pretty bad. Also required them to dump Lafferty.

I’m not a Toronto guy but I think it’s ok to question what’s going on in that front office.
Jan. 17 at 10:05 a.m.
and proud of it
I appreciate the creativity, but Avs decline. Domi is not a 2C
Jan. 17 at 10:05 a.m.
Quoting: turtlemountain
I think it’s fair to look at what Treliving has done so far.

Big moves are the mega extensions for Nylander and Matthews. Of course those are players worth keeping (and Matthews can get whatever he wants), but it looks like the Nylander contract seems like he bought at the absolute high point.

Big offseason moves were signing Domi, Bertuzzi, and Klingberg to short term high dollar deals. Have those guys lived up to their contracts?

Kampf and Reaves were the only offseason deals that received term. I think both of those deals look pretty bad. Also required them to dump Lafferty.

I’m not a Toronto guy but I think it’s ok to question what’s going on in that front office.

Yup, it's absolutely fine to question the front office but as for Tre, I feel like he still didn't implement this team. In yesterdays Jason Gregor show, Tre was a special guest and he said that he talks to Sheldon Keefe about the players that they want to add and that also applies to extension. So in theory, I think Keefe told Tre to extend David Kampf

As for Nylander, Dubas set Tre up in a lose-lose situation. These were his three options:

1) Let Nylander walk for nothing (similar to Gaudreau situation)
2) Trade Nylander at the deadline (why would Tre wanna risk his playoff spot pre-contract extension especially with the numbers he was putting up)
3) Give Nylander what he wants (Dubas didn't negotiate his contracts with the big four so what leverage does Tre have)

His best choice was to give Nylander what he wants an hope he keeps putting up the same numbers. Tre just learned the truth about this player and now he will have to live with it

As for Bertuzzi and Domi, no one expected this type of downfall by both players. Bertuzzi was a beast and a difference maker in both Detroit and Boston but it's funny that a soft coach in Sheldon Keefe doesn't know how to utilize him
Jan. 17 at 10:06 a.m.
Quoting: HockeyManiac95
I appreciate the creativity, but Avs decline. Domi is not a 2C

You do know he put up 23 points in 42 games while playing 10 minutes a night
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Jan. 17 at 10:12 a.m.
and proud of it
Actually I didn't know that, but how long ago was that
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Jan. 17 at 10:13 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: HockeyManiac95
Actually I didn't know that, but how long ago was that

This year
HockeyManiac95 liked this.
Jan. 17 at 10:16 a.m.
Shibbal18
Not a chance Domi and Bertuzzi bring back a first
Jan. 17 at 10:17 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Ask Marner for his list of teams and ride out the season, trade Marner to a team looking to try a leverage their high draft pick for a good player (thinking OTT or BUF or MTL or MIN), and soak that 1st plus as much assets as you can get and draft Sam Dickinson

Tell Keefe to start playing the younger players or fire him for Gallant and leverage your newly acquired 33 mill in cap space
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 17 at 10:19 a.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18
Not a chance Domi and Bertuzzi bring back a first

Nope wrong, teams will pay a first for these guys. Why cause he's a Leaf, we're not getting a first?

Sabres fans have no room to talk with their trash market lol
Jan. 17 at 10:23 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: Brad_Treliving
Nope wrong, teams will pay a first for these guys. Why cause he's a Leaf, we're not getting a first?

Sabres fans have no room to talk with their trash market lol

Incoherent copeing from the most hated fan base in the league
HockeyManiac95 liked this.
Jan. 17 at 10:33 a.m.
Incoherent copeing from the most hated fan base in the league

Don't worry, I'll rather support the most hated market than an irrelevant market that no one wants to play for or cares about lol
Jan. 17 at 10:35 a.m.
Yup, it's absolutely fine to question the front office but as for Tre, I feel like he still didn't implement this team. In yesterdays Jason Gregor show, Tre was a special guest and he said that he talks to Sheldon Keefe about the players that they want to add and that also applies to extension. So in theory, I think Keefe told Tre to extend David Kampf

As for Nylander, Dubas set Tre up in a lose-lose situation. These were his three options:

2) Trade Nylander at the deadline (why would Tre wanna risk his playoff spot pre-contract extension especially with the numbers he was putting up)
3) Give Nylander what he wants (Dubas didn't negotiate his contracts with the big four so what leverage does Tre have)

His best choice was to give Nylander what he wants an hope he keeps putting up the same numbers. Tre just learned the truth about this player and now he will have to live with it

As for Bertuzzi and Domi, no one expected this type of downfall by both players. Bertuzzi was a beast and a difference maker in both Detroit and Boston but it's funny that a soft coach in Sheldon Keefe doesn't know how to utilize him

I mean, that kinda supports the point:

- Matthews extension is fine. Maybe shorter than you want.

- Nylander pretty much got everything he wanted. I get your point on being in a tough spot, but Nylander pretty much got a perfect contract

- Kampf is playing a 4th line role and making $2.4M. When you’re spending like $40M on 4 players, you don’t have the luxury to overpay 4th liners like that.

- Similar to above, Reaves contract is awful. Kampf and Reaves contracts resulted in cap dumping a useful bottom 6 guy.

- Domi and Bertuzzi I have less of an issue with. Paying $4.15M for Klingberg was baffling to me after that last season. Of course he’s on LTIR now, but that was a brutal contract.

Tre obviously inherited a roster from Dubas and has to manage that. But he also inherited some extraordinary players like Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc. The fact that he has chosen to deploy like $7M of his limited cap space on guys like Reaves, Kampf, Klingberg? Baffling.
Brad_Treliving and TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 17 at 10:39 a.m.
Quoting: turtlemountain
I mean, that kinda supports the point:

- Matthews extension is fine. Maybe shorter than you want.

- Nylander pretty much got everything he wanted. I get your point on being in a tough spot, but Nylander pretty much got a perfect contract

- Kampf is playing a 4th line role and making $2.4M. When you’re spending like $40M on 4 players, you don’t have the luxury to overpay 4th liners like that.

- Similar to above, Reaves contract is awful. Kampf and Reaves contracts resulted in cap dumping a useful bottom 6 guy.

- Domi and Bertuzzi I have less of an issue with. Paying $4.15M for Klingberg was baffling to me after that last season. Of course he’s on LTIR now, but that was a brutal contract.

Tre obviously inherited a roster for Dubas and has to manage that. But he also inherited some extraordinary players like Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc. The fact that he has chosen to deploy like $7M of his limited cap space on guys like Reaves, Kampf, Klingberg? Baffling.

Yeah a lot of those contracts aren't good but hoping he learns from his mistakes. I think the Kampf extension could hurt us the worst
Jan. 17 at 10:48 a.m.
IMO, Leafs biggest problem has been their defense. Every AGM always tries to add to the Leafs line up by including power forwards or physical dman (ie Luke Schenn) into the roster. IMO, the defense needs a complete makeover. That includes getting rid of Reilly too...
Jan. 17 at 10:57 a.m.
Good Opinion Haver

I'll grant you the Nylander thing, to a point, but Treliving did not have to keep Sheldon Keefe. He could have fired him at any point, and it wouldn't have been that hard to justify it. Instead he extended Keefe. So you can blame all the bad stuff on Keefe if you want but the only reason he's still here is because Treliving wants him to be here. If you're complaining about roster construction and how guys are being used, Treliving has had a pretty large impact on why the circumstances are that way even in just the last few months.

Basically none of his offseason contributions have worked well, and whether that's because he made a bad decisions on who to sign or he made a bad decision on who was the right coach for the situation, that's very much on him.
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 17 at 11:10 a.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Yeah a lot of those contracts aren't good but hoping he learns from his mistakes. I think the Kampf extension could hurt us the worst

You realize this is the guy that handed out the Jonathan Huberdeau contract, the Troy Brower contract, the James Neal contract, the Nazem Kadri contract, the Michael Stone contract, the Mason Raymond contract....this has been a trend with him long long before he joined the Leafs. There was a time where like a quarter of all buyouts since the last lockout belonged to Brad Treliving
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 17 at 11:18 a.m.
pens1991
"this is still a kyle dubas team!!!"

Proceeds to trade 3 players that Treliving signed this offseason, lol
Shibbal18 and TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 17 at 11:39 a.m.
Shibbal18
Don't worry, I'll rather support the most hated market than an irrelevant market that no one wants to play for or cares about lol

Toronto has less playoff wins than Buffalo over the last 20 years. The Sabres missed the playoffs 16 of those years
turtlemountain and TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 17 at 1:01 p.m.
Toronto has less playoff wins than Buffalo over the last 20 years. The Sabres missed the playoffs 16 of those years

lmao
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 17 at 6:10 p.m.
Avs decline and rumour has it the leadership in the Colorado dressing room nixed the addition of Domi in the past so I can't see why that would have changed.
bcooke liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll