SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Feb. 10 at 10:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Rielly will probs be another victim of Parros like Matthews and Spezza

If u rewatch Rielly actually mostly punches Grieg as he drops the middle of his stick with the first blow. Cross check happens on his back

To me should be a game butvwatch DOPS give him 3
LeafsForLife liked this.
Feb. 10 at 10:33 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle

If u rewatch Rielly actually mostly punches Grieg as he drops the middle of his stick with the first blow. Cross check happens on his back

Bc originally, Rielly wanted to go and Greig turtled...
Feb. 10 at 11:54 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Big difference

So be mad at the coach. And what do you want? Marner to be waived? I know you think they have to trade a core piece, this seems very much like you are just looking for more reasons to want to move Marner
Feb. 11 at 8:43 a.m.
average joe
Quoting: aadoyle

In terms of danger, intent to injure, and non-hockey play - I think this definitely fits below the Marchand on Liljegren can-opener. I'd guess it deserves a bit less than that got - but factor in the Leaf factor and I suspect 4 games.
Feb. 11 at 8:49 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Messier99
In terms of danger, intent to injure, and non-hockey play - I think this definitely fits below the Marchand on Liljegren can-opener. I'd guess it deserves a bit less than that got - but factor in the Leaf factor and I suspect 4 games.

Yep. But hey its Parros he clueless and has so many standards it's hard to say

But he seems to love punishing leafs and their first time offenders
Feb. 11 at 8:53 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan

I think you're right. If safety really was the goal, this kind of play should be a suspension. If the refs/DOPS were consistent, this should not be a suspension. Since it was the Leafs, it will be a suspension
Feb. 11 at 9:59 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Good sh*t from Mo

To be fair, it was way overkill and is now going to cost us by not having our best d man for a few games.
Feb. 11 at 10:10 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Saskleaf
To be fair, it was way overkill and is now going to cost us by not having our best d man for a few games.

No way, he should have just taken an instigator and dropped the gloves. A clapper into an empty net with 5 seconds left is a classless move. You better the expecting to get run after that.
Saskleaf and Messier99 liked this.
Feb. 11 at 10:12 a.m.
Rip
I missed most of the game but Lagesson is clearly not an NHLer. Benoit looked awful and this team with this coach is going nowhere. Treliving has to make a move now if he wants to salvage the season although I firmly believe it's been a lost season since the 1st day of FA. Or even when Shanahan fired Dubas. Nothing but bad decisions.
Feb. 11 at 10:18 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
So be mad at the coach. And what do you want? Marner to be waived? I know you think they have to trade a core piece, this seems very much like you are just looking for more reasons to want to move Marner

I want Marner to not compare himself to Sammy and instead compare himself to his past struggles... Makes more sense
Feb. 11 at 10:20 a.m.

Oh well. I don't believe in this team to get it done anyways.

Unfortunate that the stick rode up and caught him in the head for sure, but you need a response there. It's wild the amount of people who are pretending that what Greig did was business as usual in the game of hockey.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 11 at 10:21 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
No way, he should have just taken an instigator and dropped the gloves. A clapper into an empty net with 5 seconds left is a classless move. You better the expecting to get run after that.

Yes but still, it doesn’t warrant a cross check to the head. He’s gonna be serving probably like a 5 game suspension now (but then again who knows, DOPS is so inconsistent, could be nothing or could be more)
Feb. 11 at 10:28 a.m.
Rip
I want Marner to not compare himself to Sammy and instead compare himself to his past struggles... Makes more sense

His past struggles are getting inside his own head. Sammie's struggles are getting inside his own head. For Sammy there is not other line of defence after him which makes his struggles all the more worse but it's the same struggle. I really don't understand why anyone would be so hung up on this. It's the silliest thing to get bent out of shape over. When Marner struggles it would be good if the coach cut his ice time or put him on the bench or slide him down a line but Keefe is gutless. All his success is from his core players. They win games they don't deserve to win because of the core. Keefe sucks, be mad at him.
Feb. 11 at 10:30 a.m.
Rip
Yes but still, it doesn’t warrant a cross check to the head. He’s gonna be serving probably like a 5 game suspension now (but then again who knows, DOPS is so inconsistent, could be nothing or could be more)

He didn't try to cross check him in the head. Grieg lifted his arm at the last second which caused Rielly's stick to slide up his arm and into his head but he also sort of dropped his stick. He dove like a little coward. Next time they play he better look out.
Feb. 11 at 10:35 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
His past struggles are getting inside his own head. Sammie's struggles are getting inside his own head. For Sammy there is not other line of defence after him which makes his struggles all the more worse but it's the same struggle. I really don't understand why anyone would be so hung up on this. It's the silliest thing to get bent out of shape over. When Marner struggles it would be good if the coach cut his ice time or put him on the bench or slide him down a line but Keefe is gutless. All his success is from his core players. They win games they don't deserve to win because of the core. Keefe sucks, be mad at him.

No, I care bc it's a bad message to the room... The "My struggles on the 1rst line with AM34 is the same as yours while you go on waivers" can set people on your team off the wrong way, especially how nonchalantly he said it...

Keefe can't bc little Mitchie's dad would throw a temper tantrum if he did... (If you don't believe me, watch the HP video CBC did on Marner's dad and Mcleod's mom)
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 11 at 11:16 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Oh well. I don't believe in this team to get it done anyways.

Unfortunate that the stick rode up and caught him in the head for sure, but you need a response there. It's wild the amount of people who are pretending that what Greig did was business as usual in the game of hockey.

He didn't try to cross check him in the head. Grieg lifted his arm at the last second which caused Rielly's stick to slide up his arm and into his head but he also sort of dropped his stick. He dove like a little coward. Next time they play he better look out.

Ok come on guys it was a clear cross check to the head. I’m all for being happy with Rielly for showing some emotion (I’d rather him do this than nothing) but let’s be real here.
Feb. 11 at 11:28 a.m.
average joe

Clearly this was the logical response.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 11 at 11:34 a.m.
average joe
I missed most of the game but Lagesson is clearly not an NHLer. Benoit looked awful and this team with this coach is going nowhere. Treliving has to make a move now if he wants to salvage the season although I firmly believe it's been a lost season since the 1st day of FA. Or even when Shanahan fired Dubas. Nothing but bad decisions.

Forgot to mention the goalie. Jones gave us 5 or so good games - which maybe is better than what we could have expected at the start of the season.
But I am almost thinking the last 5 to 8 games he was in - his play was responsible for loss of points in almost all of them.

I also worry this means Woll is out for even longer, as otherwise they would have played Sammy yesterday as Sammy's rest would have been imminent.
Feb. 11 at 11:49 a.m.
Ok come on guys it was a clear cross check to the head. I’m all for being happy with Rielly for showing some emotion (I’d rather him do this than nothing) but let’s be real here.

Have you watched the replay? The stick makes contact with Greig's hand and shoulder before the head.

You still can't do what he did, and he'll get suspended.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 11 at 12:05 p.m.
Rip
No, I care bc it's a bad message to the room... The "My struggles on the 1rst line with AM34 is the same as yours while you go on waivers" can set people on your team off the wrong way, especially how nonchalantly he said it...

Keefe can't bc little Mitchie's dad would throw a temper tantrum if he did... (If you don't believe me, watch the HP video CBC did on Marner's dad and Mcleod's mom)

The wrong message? Yeah Sammy, I know how you feel, I also struggle with the mental side of the game. And fans like you lose your mind. What a ****ing joke
Feb. 11 at 12:05 p.m.
Rip

His stick hit his head but it was aimed at his shoulder
Feb. 11 at 12:12 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
The wrong message? Yeah Sammy, I know how you feel, I also struggle with the mental side of the game. And fans like you lose your mind. What a ****ing joke

"Yeah Sammy, I get how being sent to the minors feels like, I've have only been playing with a guy with 42 goals in 50 games while making 11 million dollars"... I don't think it's the right comp to make... Should have compared it to struggles making the team out of junior
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:12 p.m.
Rip
Forgot to mention the goalie. Jones gave us 5 or so good games - which maybe is better than what we could have expected at the start of the season.
But I am almost thinking the last 5 to 8 games he was in - his play was responsible for loss of points in almost all of them.

I also worry this means Woll is out for even longer, as otherwise they would have played Sammy yesterday as Sammy's rest would have been imminent.

Better defensive play would help Jones. He's decent at stopping the shots he should stop. But this team is awful at moving the puck up ice apart from Rielly and Liljegren.
Feb. 11 at 1:23 p.m.
Rip
"Yeah Sammy, I get how being sent to the minors feels like, I've have only been playing with a guy with 42 goals in 50 games while making 11 million dollars"... I don't think it's the right comp to make... Should have compared it to struggles making the team out of junior

You are just looking for a reason to hate on Marner it's ridiculous. The waivers situation was the coach and GM's decision. Players play and both Marner and Samsonov struggle with the mental game. Your stance on this is just silly.
Feb. 11 at 1:48 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
You are just looking for a reason to hate on Marner it's ridiculous. The waivers situation was the coach and GM's decision. Players play and both Marner and Samsonov struggle with the mental game. Your stance on this is just silly.

You just love Marner... there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't pretend otherwise...

Marner's struggles aren't the same as Sammy's struggles... Marner makes more money this year than Sammy has his entire career

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll