SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Jan. 19 at 6:46 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Edited Jan. 19 at 6:58 p.m.
One of those guys that a twitter user keeps going on about is Torpechenko.

It'd probably be Robbie going back. I'd be okay with that
something like this
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Jan. 19 at 7:00 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Baffling to me that Jiricek is a healthy scratch again tonight. Now theres a guy I would move heaven and Earth for. Who knows, the Jackets have a lot of elite defensemen on the roster and in the system (Werenski, Mateychuk, Jiricek, Svozil, Boqvist)
Jan. 19 at 7:01 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Random2152
One of those guys that a twitter user keeps going on about is Torpechenko.

It'd probably be Robbie going back. I'd be okay with that
something like this

Id be thrilled if we got Toropchenko
Jan. 19 at 7:05 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Baffling to me that Jiricek is a healthy scratch again tonight. Now theres a guy I would move heaven and Earth for. Who knows, the Jackets have a lot of elite defensemen on the roster and in the system (Werenski, Mateychuk, Jiricek, Svozil, Boqvist)

He was actually sent to the minors, but my point stands
Jan. 19 at 7:08 p.m.
I have to disagree with this, Vancouver was a team that knew they were close and gave up the later of their 2 first round picks to address a positional need. Toronto only has 1 first round pick, and that alone will not be nearly enough to pry away a top 2 defenseman from a divisional rival. I'd feel much better adding another 1st and using that on a defenseman, there are tons of good blueliners this year.

Trade Brodie and Bertuzzi to Vancouver for something like Kuzmenko (who would certainly contribute in a big way next year), Silovs (who is an incredible young goalie), and a 1st to give us more flexibility at the draft. Trade Domi to the Rangers for a guy like Sykora and late picks. Then just stand pat and let Treliving mold this roster to his liking in the offseason. That's when you can go out and get an impact defenseman like Hanifin, shore up the defensive depth with a guy like Desharnais, and round out the forward group. There was simply too much going on for Treliving to fully make this roster to his liking this past offseason. This isn't new, we saw it was Dubas taking the reigns from Lou, it was just less obvious at that point because the Leafs already sucked when Dubas took over.

Im going to assume the reason we saw so many 1 year deals in Free Agency was because management didn't know whether to buy or stand pat. Its now being abundantly clear what needs to be done. Just sell the assets we don't need, it's not a hard concept lmao

Yep...he was hired with only a couple months to UFA....needed time to assess the lineup for himself as well as have an idea of Matthews'/Nylander's extensions and how much cap space he'd have. Those 1yr deals were probably his way of trying to ice a competitive team while giving himself the flexibility to make moves this offseason with more information (and hopefully better players hitting the market)
Jan. 19 at 7:14 p.m.
Real question

How screwed are we if it's Shanny and Kyle at the TDL battling over a final wildcard spot?
Random2152 and MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 19 at 7:27 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Juice
Real question

How screwed are we if it's Shanny and Kyle at the TDL battling over a final wildcard spot?

Absolutely this but also TOR final game of the regular season is TBL.

Can you imagine the drama IF it is a win get in scenario
Juice liked this.
Jan. 19 at 7:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Absolutely this but also TOR final game of the regular season is TBL.

Can you imagine the drama IF it is a win get in scenario

But remember when Pitt had CHI last year

Easiest game to make the playoffs and they blew it

Like they would have been facing BOS over FLA thats for sure
Jan. 19 at 9:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Real question

I dont see them really targeting the same things and if I had to bet who would make it probs TOR

And then saw what happened with Pitt last year

They fumbled the ball and missed after losing a game to CHI who was dog water. One win and FLA was gone lul

Crosby really be the only threat there rn and with how cutthroat that division is probs miss and with the reports on Guentzel might lose him for nothing
Jan. 19 at 9:18 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I dont see them really targeting the same things and if I had to bet who would make it probs TOR

And then saw what happened with Pitt last year

They fumbled the ball and missed after losing a game to CHI who was dog water. One win and FLA was gone lul

Crosby really be the only threat there rn and with how cutthroat that division is probs miss and with the reports on Guentzel might lose him for nothing

Not looking at it from them targeting similar players....more the issue of pushing chips in for short term assets just to outdo the other guy. Also not a discussion of who wins a final game...

Just the gamesmanship between two presidents who don't like each other and what to position themselves ahead of the other at the deadline
Jan. 19 at 9:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Not looking at it from them targeting similar players....more the issue of pushing chips in for short term assets just to outdo the other guy. Also not a discussion of who wins a final game...

Just the gamesmanship between two presidents who don't like each other and what to position themselves ahead of the other at the deadline

I dont think its really gonna be that bad when we consider when Lou left not much happened. He was basically told hey we prefer this kid over you bye

Never batted an eye heck made a deal with them later for Engvall.

Maybe something happens but I feel at the TDL each will be after different stuff. As I feel Leafs are gonna look for a very specific deal or we see something we have not seen before (Trade for someone with not just 1.5 years left like Muzzin or McCabe)

Now if its a particular player both teams need or there's a proposal for both teams to trade with eachother yea I dont see that happening or a brawl occuring.

But Pitts just in an odd spot rn will be interesting to see. As to me they should sell high on Guentzel and explore moving Smith but Crosby be going hey we still got a shot lul
Jan. 19 at 9:56 p.m.
I dont think its really gonna be that bad when we consider when Lou left not much happened. He was basically told hey we prefer this kid over you bye

Never batted an eye heck made a deal with them later for Engvall.

Maybe something happens but I feel at the TDL each will be after different stuff. As I feel Leafs are gonna look for a very specific deal or we see something we have not seen before (Trade for someone with not just 1.5 years left like Muzzin or McCabe)

Now if its a particular player both teams need or there's a proposal for both teams to trade with eachother yea I dont see that happening or a brawl occuring.

But Pitts just in an odd spot rn will be interesting to see. As to me they should sell high on Guentzel and explore moving Smith but Crosby be going hey we still got a shot lul

Still not getting it....that's ok...we'll move on
Jan. 19 at 10:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Untitled.png

Not bad honestly
Jan. 19 at 10:20 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Untitled.png

Not bad honestly

Good enough to make the playoffs, not good enough to compete for a cup. Also can we please give up on the whole Chychrun narrative? There will be league wide interest in Chychrun, Ottawa isnt send him here
Jan. 19 at 10:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 20 at 12:28 a.m.
Good enough to make the playoffs, not good enough to compete for a cup

In the end we really dont know.

Reg season and playoffs are different

We have seen teams go into the playoffs and surprise people

St. Louis (won)
Dallas
Florida
Montreal
SEA beating Avs

Cause yea were in the paper vs. on ice argument again lul. We still dont know how they will do when it comes to playoffs as regular season and playoffs be different. Maybe meh now but playoffs could be interesting. Cause yea this team could get hot again and we sing a different tune
Jan. 20 at 10:28 a.m.
Id be thrilled if we got Toropchenko

I don't really get the hype with him tbh.
aadoyle liked this.
Jan. 20 at 1:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I don't really get the hype with him tbh.

Same he just feels like another Gregor without the speed

A 4th liner that you can replace on a whim
Jan. 20 at 1:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Was reading Bourne's article and its pretty funny how

TOR is

4th in expected goals
6th in goals
1st in slot shots, inner-slot shots, and slot passes

Along with being top 5 in rush chances, cycle chances, forecheck chances, and rebound chances

But

24th in O-Zone possession time (Last 3 years = 7th, 3rd and 2nd)

And we do notice that a bunch where they enter and almost immediately are out due to forced plays and passes.

If they can stop with the forced plays and increase that O-Zone time would be very interesting to see the results

But yea guys vids spot on with some things to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgiwkSmV9DY&ab_channel=HockeyPsychology
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Jan. 20 at 2:30 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Given how this year is going, I'd really like to see Liljegren get 22+ mins a night for a while.
That would mean McCabe 2RD, Brodie 3RD, which is fine with me - problem is Keefe is doing what Babs did with Hainsey. If we do this whole selling thing - it might need to include a Brodie trade solely to take Keefes toy away
Jan. 20 at 2:53 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Preds are scratching Fabbro tonight in favor of Barrie who is returning from injury
Jan. 20 at 3:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
Given how this year is going, I'd really like to see Liljegren get 22+ mins a night for a while.
That would mean McCabe 2RD, Brodie 3RD, which is fine with me - problem is Keefe is doing what Babs did with Hainsey. If we do this whole selling thing - it might need to include a Brodie trade solely to take Keefes toy away

Yep but knowing Keefe

Oh u traded Brodie away FU I aint playing Liligren

Remember Babcock when Dubas wanted Jensen. Man that comment he made should have got him fired
Jan. 20 at 3:54 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Patrick Roy is HC on Long Island. ****ing lmao
Jan. 20 at 4:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 20 at 4:20 p.m.
Another HC bites the dust

Keefe's chances maybe getting slimmer as this season

OTT, NYI, MIN, EDM, STL have all fired their HC.

EDM has benefited the most of it
Jan. 20 at 4:22 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
He was having a rough stretches to lul. And with how defense is playing yea he may end up on ir again

As in that Ott game left him out to dry but he busted his ass to keep em in and got hurt

Goalies have been giving them a chance these games I'm more concerned for defensive plays in front and inability to score third periods

Watched a video form HP, they did a good breakdown on the Leafs defensive woes
Jan. 20 at 7:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Keefe gonna run 40 year old Gio into the ground

Like we got Lagesson use him

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll