SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Jan. 27 at 3:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
One guy I'd really like to see the Leafs make an offer to this offseason (assuming he reaches free agency) is Chandler Stephenson. He's having a bit of a down year, but he would be a perfect target to act as a stop gap at 2C. He can come in, force Tavares down to 3C, and be a viable center option until Minten is finally ready to take over the responsibility of being a 2C. I think he would mesh perfectly with Nylander, and could be a very savvy addition.

That being said, I'm not convinced he's leaving Vegas. It's a nice thought though.

To expensive

Trust me teams will lineup for Stephenson in FA. They saw what his line did last playoffs. Hes gonna get Strome money

Better off just bringing Domi back to be the 2c.

Like Domi probs can get him on a Paul deal 3.15m x 6 years

The focus this summer needs to be fixing the Defense and with 4 guys eating a lot of the salary gonna need to focus there for now
Jan. 27 at 3:58 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
To expensive

Trust me teams will lineup for Stephenson in FA. They saw what his line did last playoffs. Hes gonna get Strome money

Better off just bringing Domi back to be the 2c.

Like Domi probs can get him on a Paul deal 3.15m x 6 years

The focus this summer needs to be fixing the Defense and with 4 guys eating a lot of the salary gonna need to focus there for now

I wonder what Domi is thinking long-term. It’s one thing for us to assume he’d want long term security and would sign a lower aav to stay in Toronto. But he’s averaging about 5min less a game in ice time and, if it’s me, I wouldn’t be re-signing
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 27 at 4:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 27 at 4:25 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
I wonder what Domi is thinking long-term. It’s one thing for us to assume he’d want long term security and would sign a lower aav to stay in Toronto. But he’s averaging about 5min less a game in ice time and, if it’s me, I wouldn’t be re-signing

Nick Paul pretty much took a big discount to stay in TBL and that to me is where I look at Domi.

Domi has been on so many teams through the years. He loves being here, his dad comes to games seemingly daily, and despite his hiccups fans love him especially when he makes those sweet passes to Robertson or others for goals.

And with Keefe most likely gone in the summer bigger opportunities could be ahead for him. As for sure with some nice candidates available this summer I think MLSE gonna pull the trigger if Tree or Shanahan wont. As unless Keefe gets them further in playoffs I think hes gone this summer.

As u got Brid'Amour, Berube, etc u got to think a move may happen up there.

But man many years ago I said we should have traded for Paul and man what a good trade it would have been lul
Jan. 27 at 4:29 p.m.
Nick Paul pretty much took a big discount to stay in TBL and that to me is where I look at Domi.

Domi has been on so many teams through the years. He loves being here, his dad comes to games seemingly daily, and despite his hiccups fans love him especially when he makes those sweet passes to Robertson or others for goals.

And with Keefe most likely gone in the summer bigger opportunities could be ahead for him. As for sure with some nice candidates available this summer I think MLSE gonna pull the trigger if Tree or Shanahan wont. As unless Keefe gets them further in playoffs I think hes gone this summer.

As u got Brid'Amour, Berube, etc u got to think a move may happen up there.

Has nothing to do with what we think or drumming up comparables.

All I’m saying is that if I were Max, my lack of ice time would be a big factor in signing any long term deal

There’s a wide array of variables we aren’t privy to that goes into a decision like that and each guy is different and if Max decided to test free agency it wouldn’t surprise me
Jan. 27 at 4:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Has nothing to do with what we think or drumming up comparables.

All I’m saying is that if I were Max, my lack of ice time would be a big factor in signing any long term deal

There’s a wide array of variables we aren’t privy to that goes into a decision like that and each guy is different and if Max decided to test free agency it wouldn’t surprise me

I think the moment Keefe's gone we probs see Domi extended

If Keefe's still somehow here Domi's probs gone

But through how long hes been here and factors such as whose available I think were gonna see someone new as HC question is who
Jan. 27 at 4:42 p.m.
One guy I'd really like to see the Leafs make an offer to this offseason (assuming he reaches free agency) is Chandler Stephenson. He's having a bit of a down year, but he would be a perfect target to act as a stop gap at 2C. He can come in, force Tavares down to 3C, and be a viable center option until Minten is finally ready to take over the responsibility of being a 2C. I think he would mesh perfectly with Nylander, and could be a very savvy addition.

That being said, I'm not convinced he's leaving Vegas. It's a nice thought though.

You still want Tavares signed to another deal after this current one?

Look, mostly he's been good through the current deal but this year in particular we are seeing age catch up to Johnny. Even at 5 million, I'd rather just pass on him and just look for younger players who offer speed among other things.

This roster has gotten slow over the years and for a league that is trending towards speed, some of the decisions have to be based on age and yeah,speed and defense.
Jan. 27 at 5:03 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: oneX

Look, mostly he's been good through the current deal but this year in particular we are seeing age catch up to Johnny. Even at 5 million, I'd rather just pass on him and just look for younger players who offer speed among other things.

This roster has gotten slow over the years and for a league that is trending towards speed, some of the decisions have to be based on age and yeah,speed and defense.

I wouldnt bring him back after his current deal unless it's for an inconsequential amount of money. Stephenson could fill in at 2C for a little while before we find another younger suitor via draft
oneX liked this.
Jan. 27 at 5:03 p.m.

Here's hoping
MatthewsFan and Juice liked this.
Jan. 27 at 5:07 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Here's hoping

Agreed, move on from Max. Hope he goes back to CHI, better fit
Jan. 27 at 6:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 27 at 6:10 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Agreed, move on from Max. Hope he goes back to CHI, better fit

He was only good there lets be real as they had Patrick Kane on his wing and PP 1 time.

Next year can have JT and Marner on his wings for a year till eventually JT leaves/retires and with Keefe gone should see more ice to
Jan. 27 at 6:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX

Would realistically depend. If JT agreed to come back for 4m x 2 years I would not say no. Can play LW for the remaining time and yea should be fine.

If he wants more term or money BYE

But I got a feeling the plans this

Matthews, Marner, Willy get their new deals and they move on from JT

Thats what I think their plan was all along
Jan. 27 at 6:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I wouldnt bring him back after his current deal unless it's for an inconsequential amount of money. Stephenson could fill in at 2C for a little while before we find another younger suitor via draft

Stephenson gonna want to much money and term to be temporary

Hes probs gonna get the same or more than Strome

Teams will be lining up for him and Lindholm and we may see massive overpays

Better to just try and get Domi back on a nice team friendly deal.

With Keefe most likely being gone this summer Domi should get more opportunities with the new person whoever they are
Jan. 27 at 7:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 27 at 7:41 p.m.
The two thing I dont like is Keefe insisting on

Bertuzzi-JT-Nylander along with Rielly-Brodie they just seem to get trapped to often and or get scored on easily

This on top of the Dzone turnovers we have seen WPG generate = not great

Like why not lower Brodie down lul
Jan. 27 at 7:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Get the memes ready

Reaves first game back scores lul
Jan. 27 at 7:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
That should be a Bertuzzi goal

Demelo shoves him into his goalie

Nylander was trying to avoid contact
Jan. 27 at 7:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
That should be a Bertuzzi goal

Demelo shoves him into his goalie

Nylander was trying to avoid contact

Well Keefe's perfect record gone lul
Jan. 27 at 7:56 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
I read the NHL Rulebook earlier, that clearly should’ve been a goal.
It makes sense though for an entertainment (not sport) point of view, why give the away the momentum and the lead when you can give them a penalty instead?
Jan. 27 at 7:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
What I learned player can shove opposing player into their goalie other team can score and goal wont count

And even if they challenge u get a PP

This league
LeafsForLife liked this.
Jan. 27 at 7:57 p.m.
That was an atrocious interference call.
Jan. 27 at 7:58 p.m.
None of Bill’s momentum is into Helly and as soon as he’s able he gets out of the blue paint. Absolutely gross
Jan. 27 at 7:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
And people say the NHL rulebook favors us

DOES IT NOW

Bertuzzi has been robbed of b2b goals on b2b Saturdays

Feel for him

But hey Reaves scored
Jan. 27 at 8:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/CarloColaiacovo/status/1751410372710478128

This counted btw
Jan. 27 at 8:07 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
And people say the NHL rulebook favors us

DOES IT NOW

Bertuzzi has been robbed of b2b goals on b2b Saturdays

Feel for him

But hey Reaves scored

Found an interesting website on the topic. Not saying I am convinced the NHL is rigged, but his evidence (if it’s true) is interesting. Anyway, here’s the link: https://www.thefixisin.net/refs-admit-nhl-is-fixed
Jan. 27 at 8:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsForLife
Found an interesting website on the topic. Not saying I am convinced the NHL is rigged, but his evidence (if it’s true) is interesting. Anyway, here’s the link: https://www.thefixisin.net/refs-admit-nhl-is-fixed

After that known ref got fired "for wanting to give a team a penalty" we figured as much lul

Every sport has had issues and yet few have had the ballz to call em out due to the stupid fines that come out of it

I feel this is just a case of consistency again. Two similar plays one counts and one does not

EDM vs. CBJ saw one that counted, and TOR vs. WPG we see the same play not counted

Thats this league though they dont stay consistent
Jan. 27 at 8:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Dam if Nylander was more patient would have had that goal

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll