SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Feb. 12 at 4:40 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: BDHockey
I agree that there should be more consistency in suspensions, but Reilly still deserves 6+ game suspension.

I’d say 5 but I’d say anything up to 7 I’m not going to complain. If it’s like 10 though I definitely will be complaining about it
Feb. 12 at 5:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
Forgive me if I take the word of a 15year vet over this dumb article

In general we see a lot of what that article has said happen in the NHL through warmup scrums when an opponent crosses the line, the helmet rule, and others

Every sport has em. One guy can say one thing but maybe he didnt know about em cause he never did anything

Im sure if he did any of whats on that list he would have heard about it.
Feb. 12 at 5:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
I’d say 5 but I’d say anything up to 7 I’m not going to complain. If it’s like 10 though I definitely will be complaining about it

After seeing the Vesey and Engvall incidents idk what to think anymore

Especially Engvalls that felt worse than what Mo did but he got 1 game lul
Feb. 12 at 5:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 5:30 p.m.
If they didn't respond to a guy taking a slap shot on an open net I doubt most of us would have noticed or cared.

Trust me there would have been talk about oh he broke an unwritten rule and they didnt care what a soft team

Wheres the passion, drive, and fight

Good for MO to respond to the rule being broke. Bit excessive but hey better than nothing

Best example of what I mean minus unwritten rule TBL vs. TOR last playoffs

TOR game 1 blown out of water and no response or pushback by the leafs just tails tucked between legs and just waited for game 2. Game 2 TBL is getting blown out of water and man they responded and werent going away quietly just ask Perry and Maroon lul
Feb. 12 at 5:44 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: BDHockey
I wouldn't cry and moan that society was unfair if the thief was arrested.

You missed the point.

Good day sir.
Feb. 12 at 6:16 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
In general we see a lot of what that article has said happen in the NHL through warmup scrums when an opponent crosses the line, the helmet rule, and others

Every sport has em. One guy can say one thing but maybe he didnt know about em cause he never did anything

Im sure if he did any of whats on that list he would have heard about it.

Umm. Yea. Matthew Barnaby was pretty much known for always crossing the line with stuff.

Point is, if we, as a fanbase, are all the sudden going to get all sensitive about something like a slap shot into an empty net…something I’m sure none of us ever gave much thought to, than we should all be embarrassed for how soft we are
Feb. 12 at 6:17 p.m.
Trust me there would have been talk about oh he broke an unwritten rule and they didnt care what a soft team

Wheres the passion, drive, and fight

Good for MO to respond to the rule being broke. Bit excessive but hey better than nothing

Best example of what I mean minus unwritten rule TBL vs. TOR last playoffs

TOR game 1 blown out of water and no response or pushback by the leafs just tails tucked between legs and just waited for game 2. Game 2 TBL is getting blown out of water and man they responded and werent going away quietly just ask Perry and Maroon lul

This has absolutely nothing to do with ‘unwritten rules’
Feb. 12 at 6:52 p.m.
Umm. Yea. Matthew Barnaby was pretty much known for always crossing the line with stuff.

Point is, if we, as a fanbase, are all the sudden going to get all sensitive about something like a slap shot into an empty net…something I’m sure none of us ever gave much thought to, than we should all be embarrassed for how soft we are

Finally a reasonable take.
Feb. 12 at 7:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 7:45 p.m.
This has absolutely nothing to do with ‘unwritten rules’

It does dont know how you aint getting it

Anyways no point in continuing
Feb. 12 at 7:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 7:45 p.m.

Martin Biron who was an NHL player for 16 years in Buffalo disagrees and said today on TSN there is a code and Greig's lucky someone bigger and meaner wasnt on the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6P84B3q4TI&ab_channel=TSN

Anyways no point in continuing as the fact of the manner is Greig learned his lesson not to break the code all there is to it
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Feb. 12 at 7:46 p.m.
Martin Biron who was an NHL player for 16 years disagrees and said today on TSN there is a code and Greig's lucky someone bigger and meaner wasnt on the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6P84B3q4TI&ab_channel=TSN

Anyways no point in continuing

Alre you able to take a step back and appreciate how absolutely ridiculous it is to get bent out of shape about the type of shot someone takes into an empty net?

I’m not even saying that I didn’t like Morgan going and showing the rookie what’s up….im just saying we’re all acting like a bunch of Karen’s if we think there’s any reason to be offended
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 12 at 8:33 p.m.
average joe
Edited Feb. 12 at 8:53 p.m.
"A player who instigates a fight in the final five minutes of a game (or in overtime in the regular season) will instead be charged a game misconduct and given an automatic one-game suspension".

I wonder if this rule is encouraging stick work.
In hindsight, Reilly would have been much better opting for the 1 game.

With the benefit of time, Reilly should have cross checked him in the ribs a few times and then punched him in the head a few times with the gloves on.
Probably 2 for cross checking, 2 for roughing, and nothing farther said.
RipNasty liked this.
Feb. 12 at 9:00 p.m.
I’ve already said it, been on it for a long time now, but I really, REALLY think the Leafs should sell this year. I think this team is a lot farther away than people realize and being in a position to capitalize on some pending UFAs to recoup assets shouldn’t be taken for granted.
Saskleaf, MatthewsFan and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 12 at 10:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 10:11 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I’ve already said it, been on it for a long time now, but I really, REALLY think the Leafs should sell this year. I think this team is a lot farther away than people realize and being in a position to capitalize on some pending UFAs to recoup assets shouldn’t be taken for granted.

The moment they resigned Willy selling went out the window as if your plan was to sell why not trade him for a haul lul.

They are committed to these guys and you cannot waste a potential 70 goal Matthews season. They got games in hand on TBL and DET and show they need a Dman or two as they dont have issues scoring but keeping pucks out of their net.

Be smart and buy guys with term or RFA's. Who cares for new picks and prospects wont be using them in the 5 year window anyways. We got Minten, Cowen, Grebenkin, Niemela, and others who were drafted before good enough no need to add more high stuff to the pool. Focus on the now not the future.

As would rather go get Hanifin and extend him then wait 3 years for some kid to come and who were basically gambling on to maybe be a top 4 guy
Feb. 12 at 10:16 p.m.
The moment they resigned Willy selling went out the window as if your plan was to sell why not trade him for a haul lul. All the pending UFA's trade values are bland at best.

They are committed to these guys and you cannot waste a potential 70 goal Matthews season. They got games in hand on TBL and DET and show they need a Dman or two as they dont have issues scoring but keeping pucks out of their net.

Be smart and buy guys with term or RFA's. Who cares for picks and prospects wont be using them in the window anyways as your just gonna trade them anyway might as well do it earlier

As would rather go get Hanifin and extend him then wait 3 years for some kid to come and whose impact wont be set in stone.

- Nylander resigning is irrelevant to what the proper direction for the team is at the present moment

-Matthews regular season goal pace doesn’t really matter here at all. They can’t do enough to make this team legit between now and the deadline regardless. This season is a write off as far as a Cup goes

-They are WAY more than a Dman or two away

- Just because you acquired futures, doesn’t mean you have use them in that manner. Flipping them is what I would suggest
MatthewsFan and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 12 at 10:28 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
- Nylander resigning is irrelevant to what the proper direction for the team is at the present moment

-Matthews regular season goal pace doesn’t really matter here at all. They can’t do enough to make this team legit between now and the deadline regardless. This season is a write off as far as a Cup goes

- Just because you acquired futures, doesn’t mean you have use them in that manner. Flipping them is what I would suggest

I’m absolutely down for flipping Domi, Bertuzzi, Brodie, Samsonov, Gio, Kämpf for actual hockey trades or using those assets for players that fit.
Feb. 12 at 10:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 10:40 p.m.

Its really not if there plan was to sell thats the guy I would move

Bertuzzi and Domi's values are meh rn. Nylander would have got u a haul for the ages look what Lindholm got and hes been meh.

In general playoffs and regular season be two different things. Leafs dont look good now but what if they go into the playoffs and start making noise we have seen it happen before remember STL. They went from bottom feeder to WC to SCW all in 1 season

In general as said before when u got the big 3 in their primes rn, one pushing 70 goals, and a short window u got to go for it only with a cupboard thats not so full be smart

Just dont go get rentals. Go add another guy or two with term. Who cares for the 1st or some of the prospects if your gonna have a nice top 4 Dman for 4-5 years maybe more

Look what Van did with Hronek and OTT with Chycrun thats what TOR should be doing rn.

Like if TOR traded 1st + 3rd and a prospect for Hanifin and he was extended really wouldnt care. Or heck if they traded 1st + Cowen for Jireck would also be fine with that
Feb. 12 at 10:38 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’m absolutely down for flipping Domi, Bertuzzi, Brodie, Samsonov, Gio, Kämpf for actual hockey trades or using those assets for players that fit.

Without knowing what deals are out there for hockey trades, I prefer shooting for picks. It’s the universal currency and the cap space opens up opportunity in the summer. Just gotta hope Brad actually uses it right this time.

Can use the picks to help work out trades in the offseason or to supplement what is hopefully a much improved team come next deadline.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Feb. 12 at 10:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 10:49 p.m.
Without knowing what deals are out there for hockey trades, I prefer shooting for picks. It’s the universal currency and the cap space opens up opportunity in the summer. Just gotta hope Brad actually uses it right this time.

Can use the picks to help work out trades in the offseason or to supplement what is hopefully a much improved team come next deadline.

I mean he did use it right for the most part to bad Keefe system aint good for Domi and Bertuzzi but hopefully this summer Keefe is gone and we get a nice new HC. Heard Brid'Amour is available along with some nice options like Berube who took the Blues on a cup run

As the mans been exposed this year. Thought it was just playoffs nope this year hes done for as he cant seem to adjust to the type of guys Treliving wants

Out with the SOO and in with the new era for 2024
Feb. 12 at 10:52 p.m.
I mean he did use it right for the most part to bad Keefe system aint good for Domi and Bertuzzi but hopefully this summer Keef's gone and we get a nice new HC. Heard Brid'Amour is available along with some nice options like Berube who took the Blues on a cup run

As the mans been exposed this year. Thought it was just playoffs nope this year hes done for as he cant seem to adjust to the type of guys Treliving wants

Out with the SOO and in with the new era for 2024

He used the cap space right by bringing in players who don’t fit the system of the head coach HE DECIDED TO KEEP??? Holy f*ck your logic is mind numbing.

Klingberg, Reaves, Kampf, Domi, Bertuzzi. $16.4 million.

There is no world where that isn’t absolute trash.
MatthewsFan, RipNasty and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 12 at 11:06 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
He used the cap space right by bringing in players who don’t fit the system of the head coach HE DECIDED TO KEEP??? Holy f*ck your logic is mind numbing.

That doesn’t get said enough!!
RipNasty and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 12 at 11:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 11:21 p.m.

Kampf got downgraded linemates so meh. Pretty funny if u think of it give him a raise then say u get ****ty linemates. He still had his guys from last year or year before would be probs be doing much better. As going from Engvall and Mikheyev to Gregor and McMann pretty fall in linemates

Bertuzzi and Domi were good to bad for Keefe's bad system. Guaranteed under a new HC those two would probs be thriving rn.

Only ones that are meh be Reaves who should have been 1.1m to be buriable and Klingberg who came in hurt but hey LTIR space to go buy this TDL

2.5/5 better then nothing

In general Keefe basically is hurting the two good guys we added this offseason. Many here besides a certain 2 someone's have all said the same Domi is fine along with Bertuzzi only issue is Keefe aint the right guy for either of them as Babcock wasnt the right guy for Barrie

Hopefully Keefe is gone this summer but sadly so will two guys who are gonna rebound with their new teams leaving us going wish we kept them. Should have fired Keefe the moment Berube became available as its benefited other teams just ask EDM lul
Feb. 12 at 11:20 p.m.
Amirov Forever

DING DING DING!!!

Exactly. If this team had a Rick Tocchet behind the bench, we'd be living the good life right now. Also now that I'm thinking about it, who is an Sheldon Keefe player? The only guys consistently producing in his system are the core 4 and the top line LW. Kinda seems like he gets the best out of no one
Feb. 12 at 11:20 p.m.
Kampf got downgraded linemates so meh. Pretty funny if u think of it give him a raise then say u get ****ty linemates. He still had his guys from last year or year before would be fine. Look what Faksa be making as a 4c would be more concerned for
that

Bertuzzi and Domi were good to bad for Keefe's bad system. Guaranteed under a new HC those two would probs be thriving rn.

Only ones that are meh be Reaves who should have been 1.1m to be buriable and Klingberg who came in hurt but hey LTIR space to go buy this TDL

2.5/5 better then nothing

In general Keefe basically is hurting the two good guys we added this offseason. Many here besides a certain 2 someone's have all said the same Domi is fine along with Bertuzzi only issue is Keefe aint the right guy for either of them as Babcock wasnt the right guy for Barrie

Hopefully Keefe is gone this summer but sadly so will two guys who are gonna rebound with their new teams leaving us going wish we kept them. Should have fired Keefe the moment Berube became available as its benefited other teams just ask EDM lul

27 edits later, this is still ridiculous
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 12 at 11:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
27 edits later, this is still ridiculous

As the saying goes cant see it cant help yah

Anways here's to hoping Keefe's gone and the SOO era can be over

Its time for the Bridamour or Berube era

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: