SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Feb. 13 at 9:26 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Bobby McMann legacy game. That ENG bank shot for the hatty was the cherry on top
oneX liked this.
Feb. 13 at 9:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
That's a bottom 4 guy - almost by definition lmao

Yep. Man though gonna be interesting to see how they view him on his next deal

I would do a Roy deal but lets see.
Feb. 13 at 9:31 p.m.
McMann Season
McMann for Hart?!?!
Feb. 14 at 6:49 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Best team game of the year
oneX liked this.
Feb. 14 at 8:06 a.m.
average joe
Quoting: Trickster

I suspect St. Louis thought this would be a cake-walk with all the Leaf absences. Leafs will have to follow this up in the re-match.
But 15 SOG against, and outshooting Blues 13 to 4 in the 3rd period was pretty dominant. Hat's off to them (especially McMann).
Feb. 14 at 9:19 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Messier99
I suspect St. Louis thought this would be a cake-walk with all the Leaf absences. Leafs will have to follow this up in the re-match.
But 15 SOG against, and outshooting Blues 13 to 4 in the 3rd period was pretty dominant. Hat's off to them (especially McMann).

I cant explain why, but this happening was the most obvious thing ever. Very leafy. I bet on it lmao
Feb. 14 at 12:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
I cant explain why, but this happening was the most obvious thing ever. Very leafy. I bet on it lmao

Yep

Leafs always step up when their big guys are hurt

Marner = 12-13-4
Tavares = 9-2-2
Nylander = 46-39-12
Matthews = 35-19-2
Rielly = 39-18-7
Feb. 14 at 12:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Trickster

Nah that still goes to the Pitt game

Dumpster them in front of the old GM without Matthews and using our 3rd goalie
Feb. 14 at 12:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/latest-news/report-morgan-rielly-suspension-leaked-before-maple-leafs-were-informed-by-nhl-department-of-player-safety

Parros really hates the leafs doesnt he if what Dreger says is correct lul.

Heck even Dangles rant on the thing be spot on in terms of why this could be

Either way just proving further Parros not fit to run DOPS lul
Feb. 14 at 1:03 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Yep

Marner = 12-13-4
Tavares = 9-2-2
Nylander = 46-39-12
Matthews = 35-19-2
Rielly = 39-18-7

It always amazes me that people are so willing to trade Marner despite the team being noticeably worse in his absence
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 14 at 1:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
It always amazes me that people are so willing to trade Marner despite the team being noticeably worse in his absence

Yep, yes you can argue stuff but this kid does a lot of good for this team which is why im pretty much expecting an early extension this summer

Brad learned his lesson with Willy. If Marner wants 11.8-12.25m ****ing give it to him before he gives u a McDavid point season and demands 13.5m+m
Feb. 14 at 1:59 p.m.
average joe
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/latest-news/report-morgan-rielly-suspension-leaked-before-maple-leafs-were-informed-by-nhl-department-of-player-safety

Parros really hates the leafs doesnt he if what Dreger says is correct lul.

Heck even Dangles rant on the thing be spot on in terms of why this could be

Either way just proving further Parros not fit to run DOPS lul

For the harm they caused, NHL should pay Reily $200k as penalty (the amount he loses due to the suspension.
Feb. 14 at 2:01 p.m.
average joe
Yep

Marner = 12-13-4
Tavares = 9-2-2
Nylander = 46-39-12
Matthews = 35-19-2
Rielly = 39-18-7

I honestly think Reily thinks he's Paul Coffey and focuses a bit too much on being an offensive defenceman.
If he held back a bit more, Leafs would be better.
Without Reily, Leafs D stay back a bit more and it leads to success.
Feb. 14 at 2:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 14 at 2:37 p.m.
I honestly think Reily thinks he's Paul Coffey and focuses a bit too much on being an offensive defenceman.
If he held back a bit more, Leafs would be better.
Without Reily, Leafs D stay back a bit more and it leads to success.

The thing is though this year Rielly has been good at both ends. Hes having himself a nice little season. To bad his partner decided to take a step back. Without him the backend has 0 offense in them

Our blueline is ranked 26th in offense thats not good especially for playoffs.

We have also seen this kind of shot limitation when he is in lineup (NSH) so its really not all about that. One guy pushing for offense shouldnt topple a whole Dcore.

The issues have mainly been Brodie and Giordano have taken a step back. Liligren has not taken that big step yes, Benoit has been good but shouldnt really be top 4. Basically its been Rielly and McCabe for the most part holding it together. A move is needed to shore things up not just now but for the future

As this summer there are not many great options besides (Dillon, Demelo, Roy, and Forsling). Yes there's pesce but he and the other guys feel like gambles
Feb. 14 at 2:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
For the harm they caused, NHL should pay Reily $200k as penalty (the amount he loses due to the suspension.

I say leafs should appeal show that as evidence and then Bettman basically may be forced to lower it

As if one of his departments didnt follow protocols he cant support that.
Feb. 14 at 2:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 14 at 2:43 p.m.
Rielly is appealing his suspension

Nylander seems to have caught the same bug Marner and JT have

And per Friedman and Serevalli: Leafs are the big 3 in on Hanifin and it seems Leafs may be trying for another 2 Dman deal like they did for Zadorov and Tanev back in Nov.
Feb. 14 at 4:43 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Rielly is appealing his suspension

Nylander seems to have caught the same bug Marner and JT have

And per Friedman and Serevalli: Leafs are the big 3 in on Hanifin and it seems Leafs may be trying for another 2 Dman deal like they did for Zadorov and Tanev back in Nov.

It would most likely be Tanev and Hanifin then if I were to guess
Feb. 14 at 6:23 p.m.
Edited Feb. 14 at 6:31 p.m.
Idk I think Domi has been fine at C. The moment he really showed his stuff was the Pitt game when he and Marner were fire

You can't just point to 5-10 games in the regular season where he actually looked decent and come to the conclusion Domi is a good C. The larger sample size suggests he isn't really the answer at C.

Wanna play him at C in a pinch? Sure I can live with that.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 14 at 6:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 15 at 2:14 a.m.
Quoting: oneX
You can't just point to 5-10 games in the regular season where he actually looked decent and come to the conclusion Domi is a good C. The larger sample size suggests he isn't really the answer at C.

Wanna play him at C in a pinch? Sure I can live with that.

Domi has been good for a good chunk of the games. His only flaw is the defense but thats what we all knew going in. He and Robertson really have developed some good chemistry and I couldnt be happier

Like in the playoffs yes u dont want him as the 3c due to what 3c's are supposed to do. But idk maybe 2C aint a bad idea especially if u want to shift JT to LW

Cause if he was brought back to be JT's eventual replacement I got 0 issue as its both cheaper and practical

As Minten will probs be our future 2-way 3c anyways
Feb. 15 at 10:37 a.m.
Would you guys do Lilly for Tanev 1 for 1?

Would Calgary?

I've been a Liljegren supporter since he's been drafted but I'm just not seeing him take that step. For me, it would depend on how extension talks have gone...but he's not someone that has earned $3m+ to me...maybe worth the risk if that's a long term deal...but I've just been seeing a lot of mental errors recently.

From calgary's end...they obviously get a younger guy that can step right into the lineup with control vs a typical draft pick.

TIme to cut bait or hold the line?
Saskleaf and oneX liked this.
Feb. 15 at 10:56 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Juice

Would Calgary?

I've been a Liljegren supporter since he's been drafted but I'm just not seeing him take that step. For me, it would depend on how extension talks have gone...but he's not someone that has earned $3m+ to me...maybe worth the risk if that's a long term deal...but I've just been seeing a lot of mental errors recently.

From calgary's end...they obviously get a younger guy that can step right into the lineup with control vs a typical draft pick.

Can’t see how Calgary would turn down a one for one swap, it would make a lot of sense for them

But I would only want to do it if we know Tanevs going to resign here. If it’s just a rental, keep Lili
Juice liked this.
Feb. 15 at 10:57 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I know it won't happen, but I really want us to find a way to get Sam Dickinson. The vibes are simply immaculate with him

Would Calgary?

No. Tanev is one bad fall from his career being over, Lily can be a B4D for us for years potentially
Feb. 15 at 11:29 a.m.
Amirov Forever

Would Calgary?

At worst, Liljegren will be a bottom 4 defender for years to come. At best, Tanev will be a top pairing guy like 1 - 2 more years..

There's no chance I'd trade Liljegren for Tanev straight up, there is way too much upside with Liljegren in addition to his already solid play and far too much risk with Tanev
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 15 at 11:42 a.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
At worst, Liljegren will be a bottom 4 defender for years to come. At best, Tanev will be a top pairing guy like 1 - 2 more years..

There's no chance I'd trade Liljegren for Tanev straight up, there is way too much upside with Liljegren in addition to his already solid play and far too much risk with Tanev

That's exactly the question...especially when paired with what Liljegren is looking for on his next deal (and what a tanev extension would come in at). Is the possibility of finally adding someone as a 1RD for a couple years worth giving up on a young player who could one day get there
Feb. 15 at 11:56 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 15 at 1:54 p.m.

Would Calgary?

No as your trading a young cheaper guy for a more expensive older guy. To me if he goes its part of a blockbuster

As I do see Lilligren going but it would be more so for Chycrun, Hanifin, or Weegar with a forward

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll