SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Feb. 20 at 9:49 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: palhal
I don't think the Leafs are afraid to put Lily on the point on PP. But the Keefe prefers to have Matthew, Tavares, Nylander, and Marner on the ice which leaves just one spot for a Dman...which is usually Reilly.
The suspension to Reilly and the PP time for Liljegren sure looks it has gave Liljegren more confidence. Benoit/McCabe/Brodie have played better too.
And those two Marlies last night, played like NHLers,.
Considering Reilly, Giordano, 7th man Timmins and 8th man Lagesson were all out....impressive indeed.

It is...

I was saying instead of Rielly, to have Lilly out there on PP1 and have Bert out there as well (roll Rielly and JT on PP2)
palhal liked this.
Feb. 20 at 10:25 a.m.
McMann Season
Quoting: palhal
Agree. But as we know junior play and stats don't necessarily relate to NHL success. Apparently Chadwick has to improve on his mobility to ever be an NHLer. Hey but there is hope.
Lisowsky and Minten....good to see they are doing well. I still say Minten has to be a Marlie next October

I do believe that Chadwick got his NHL deal due to massively improving his mobility this season
palhal liked this.
Feb. 20 at 12:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 20 at 1:27 p.m.
So Rielly's back on Thursday as the appeal was upheld

Sorry after his suspension was leaked should have been reduced a game as basically protocols were broke

And sorry Bettman not factoring in a non-hockey play into the reason Rielly went and did that makes yah look bad lul.

But hey we got a meme out of you for accidently admitting system is flawed.

Also fun note Greig still getting bullied
Feb. 20 at 3:49 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Saw Wings extended Michael Rasmussen, anyone else like me drooling at the possibility of Veleno being available?
Feb. 20 at 4:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Trickster
Saw Wings extended Michael Rasmussen, anyone else like me drooling at the possibility of Veleno being available?

Doubt it

Hes contributing well to that team and even if he was they wouldnt move him to a hated divisional rival
Feb. 20 at 4:35 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Trickster

Berggren would be my guy
Feb. 20 at 4:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Berggren would be my guy

Yep only thing is both be divisional rivals and I doubt Yzerman wants to see Berggen in TOR

As rn Det wants to compete and were in the way

I got a feeling hes gonna go to the Pacific

But then again OTT did move Debrincat to DET but there were variables in that to

Its tough but yea just cant see it unless it was a rental status
Feb. 20 at 7:11 p.m.
Does anyone else think it was tactical by the league to give Rielly 5 games instead of 6?
Random2152, aadoyle and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 20 at 7:18 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: fangm
Does anyone else think it was tactical by the league to give Rielly 5 games instead of 6?

Why though? I think the league wants to make a statement that they will support chicken stuff and are holding their ground...

Next Leafs player to do anything will get 4+ guranteed (unless playoffs, then it would be for 3+)
Feb. 20 at 7:38 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Why though? I think the league wants to make a statement that they will support chicken stuff and are holding their ground...

Next Leafs player to do anything will get 4+ guranteed (unless playoffs, then it would be for 3+)

6 games gets appealed to an independant arbitrator. 5 or fewer just go to Bettman
aadoyle and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 20 at 7:42 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98

If they did 6 games then Rielly could appeal to an independent arbitrator. So, someone outside the league would determine whether the suspension is fair based on the precedence the league has set.

Seems like 5 games was a cop-out because Parros/ Bettman can make that decision with no need to justify it based on past suspensions for similar incidents.

Perron is currently set to go before an independent arbitrator for his 6 game suspension and I feel the 5 to Rielly is also a way for the league to be able to point to something that got a big punishment since without Rielly nothing this year is more than 1 game for cross checking.

As a lawyer, I just don't see how an independent arbitrator wouldn't destroy the league at a hearing for the Rielly suspension, especially if the Perron one gets bumped down at his appeal.

The fact that the league is pretending there was no inciting event, they don't give any credit for the head not being the first point of contact, no mention of how the stick rode up into the face instead of being straight to the face (like Perron's), they claim Grieg was unprepared/shouldn't have expected it. They are essentially trying to paint the incident as something completely different from anything else that has happened in the NHL this season when it really isn't, there are loads of similar plays that have gotten under 2 games.
Feb. 20 at 7:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
6 games gets appealed to an independant arbitrator. 5 or fewer just go to Bettman

Yep and honestly I prefer it for one reason

All the great quotes and accidental exposure Bettman did on the NHL, Parros, and DOPS

GGzFkPwWEAAUBNx?format=png&name=small

Then how about updating it with a formula Bettman lul. This is why DOPS is messed up
Feb. 20 at 7:52 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Yep and honestly I prefer it for one reason

All the great quotes and accidental exposure Bettman did on the NHL, Parros, and DOPS

GGzFkPwWEAAUBNx?format=png&name=small

Then how about updating it with a formula Bettman lul. This is why DOPS is messed up

He's essentially admitting that they make it up as they go.
aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 20 at 7:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
He's essentially admitting that they make it up as they go.

Like he mentions other crosschecks and says oh they werent as bad

Did he not watch Lizotte vs. Morrisey

Morrisey dropped his gloves ready to fight and Lizotte crossechecks him in the mouth lul

Honestly the moment those two out of the league the better. But the owners love scapegoat Bettman and he loves Parros lul
Feb. 20 at 8:06 p.m.
Like he mentions other crosschecks and says oh they werent as bad

Did he not watch Lizotte vs. Morrisey

Morrisey dropped his gloves ready to fight and Lizotte crossechecks him in the mouth lul

Honestly the moment those two out of the league the better. But the owners love scapegoat Bettman and he loves Parros lul

I don't like Shanahan as our President but I have to admit that he did an awesome job at the DOPS.

Like whether you agreed with him or not, he was very consistent in his suspensions and had a solid understanding of the game and situational factors.

Parros just seems to spin a wheel and pick the number it lands on. I don't even think that Parros is biased, I think he's just incompetent. The fact that the New York Rangers literally released a press release saying he should be fired says a lot about him.
Feb. 20 at 8:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I don't like Shanahan as our President but I have to admit that he did an awesome job at the DOPS.

Like whether you agreed with him or not, he was very consistent in his suspensions and had a solid understanding of the game and situational factors.

Parros just seems to spin a wheel and pick the number it lands on. I don't even think that Parros is biased, I think he's just incompetent. The fact that the New York Rangers literally released a press release saying he should be fired says a lot about him.

Yep. Like in context this got 3 games and arguably its worse than what Rielly did and from a repeat offender.

https://twitter.com/josephdzita/status/1760091398701797495?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Parros took this added 2 and that was Rielly. Couldnt do anymore as he had a clean record

What a load of BS lul they knew if they gave 6 he would go to the independent

Then u look at Parros track record. Leafs = most penalized under his reign but wait arent we a soft team something aint adding up

The moment Parros and Bettman are out is the moment this league improves but thats not gonna happen unless owners decide they got tired of their Guinea Pig and want a new one
Feb. 20 at 9:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Man TDL news is all over the place for us lul

Pagnotta: Leafs interested in PKG for Kunin and Ferraro

CJ: Leafs eyeing Hanifin and thinks Hanifin okay with Toronto

Friedman: Leafs offered multiple picks for Tanev (no first)

Then there was that other report saying if Leafs move the first its for two or more players

Should be interesting
Feb. 21 at 9:43 a.m.
Man TDL news is all over the place for us lul

Pagnotta: Leafs interested in PKG for Kunin and Ferraro

CJ: Leafs eyeing Hanifin and thinks Hanifin okay with Toronto

Friedman: Leafs offered multiple picks for Tanev (no first)

Then there was that other report saying if Leafs move the first its for two or more players

Should be interesting

I think we need to mentally part ways with the first rounder. Tre has been looking for D since he got here and I don't think he can get anything of worth done without moving it.

Can easily connect the dots to see that he's tried to get 2 pieces with the 1st rounder but obviously nothing has materialized yet.

Sounds like this draft isn't particularly deep so maybe that's also a ding on how other GM's value a late pick in the first round.

I think we end up using it on Tanev....not advocating for that to happen...just where I think we end up
Feb. 21 at 9:56 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
If they did 6 games then Rielly could appeal to an independent arbitrator. So, someone outside the league would determine whether the suspension is fair based on the precedence the league has set.

Seems like 5 games was a cop-out because Parros/ Bettman can make that decision with no need to justify it based on past suspensions for similar incidents.

Perron is currently set to go before an independent arbitrator for his 6 game suspension and I feel the 5 to Rielly is also a way for the league to be able to point to something that got a big punishment since without Rielly nothing this year is more than 1 game for cross checking.

As a lawyer, I just don't see how an independent arbitrator wouldn't destroy the league at a hearing for the Rielly suspension, especially if the Perron one gets bumped down at his appeal.

The fact that the league is pretending there was no inciting event, they don't give any credit for the head not being the first point of contact, no mention of how the stick rode up into the face instead of being straight to the face (like Perron's), they claim Grieg was unprepared/shouldn't have expected it. They are essentially trying to paint the incident as something completely different from anything else that has happened in the NHL this season when it really isn't, there are loads of similar plays that have gotten under 2 games.

I thought 6+ meant Parros redoes it... my bad then
Feb. 21 at 9:57 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Random2152

Makes sense then
Feb. 21 at 10:31 a.m.
Quoting: Juice
I think we need to mentally part ways with the first rounder. Tre has been looking for D since he got here and I don't think he can get anything of worth done without moving it.

Can easily connect the dots to see that he's tried to get 2 pieces with the 1st rounder but obviously nothing has materialized yet.

Sounds like this draft isn't particularly deep so maybe that's also a ding on how other GM's value a late pick in the first round.

I think we end up using it on Tanev....not advocating for that to happen...just where I think we end up

I'm convince the Answer on D is Carrier If he was 2 inches taller he'd be going for the same price as Hanifin. He's among the league leaders in blocked shots. Incredible skater, great transition game, amazing defensively. He's the guy to get to pair with Rielly. I'll be very disappointed if they go another direction. They could likely trade and resign him a 5x$3.5M and have a top pairing for $11M for the next 5 years.
Feb. 21 at 12:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Thats what im thinking and also

Matthews is doing some crazy ****. You got for it when he doing that

Now im not saying 1st for Tanev (As if tree wanted to do it would be done rn) but I got a feeling it may not be here by TDL agreed. Question is whose it gonna be for.
Feb. 21 at 12:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 21 at 3:15 p.m.
I'm convince the Answer on D is Carrier If he was 2 inches taller he'd be going for the same price as Hanifin. He's among the league leaders in blocked shots. Incredible skater, great transition game, amazing defensively. He's the guy to get to pair with Rielly. I'll be very disappointed if they go another direction. They could likely trade and resign him a 5x$3.5M and have a top pairing for $11M for the next 5 years.

Carrier is playing third pair though in NSH . He does a bunch of things well but is undersized for a potential top 4 guy. And last year reallly wasnt good and when he was primary partner was Josi. If a non contender has him there why would we put him top 4

If we look there are 2ways to go about this Dcore

Big and strong like VGK. Or fast and skilled like AVS

If were targeting a NSH Dman it should be Fabbro
Feb. 21 at 1:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 21 at 1:11 p.m.

Wont happen but man I honestly wanted to target a guy out of VGK like Whitecloud as we have seen 2 young Dman emerge out of that team who could take his place (Cormier and Korzak).

He is not having the best of seasons but he has been known to be a steady guy before and I can see him being top 4. And despite being 3rd pair in VGK he plays equivalent to second pair mins. Also believe his deals like 2.75m for 4 more seasons

But hey if after the TDL they walk out with one of

Andersson, Hanifin, Weegar, or Chycrun at the cost of a 1st im good

If its Tanev better be 2 3rd rounders and a prospect lul
Feb. 21 at 1:17 p.m.
Thats what im thinking and also

Matthews is doing some crazy ****. You got for it when he doing that

Now im not saying 1st for Tanev (As if tree wanted to do it would be done rn) but I got a feeling it may not be here by TDL agreed. Question is whose it gonna be for.

Just because he hasn't done it yet, doesn't mean he won't cave. Like most GM's, Tre goes with the TDL philosophy of letting his team's play on the ice dictate any potential moves. But we need to stop the cycle of giving up firsts for rentals. I don't buy into the "going for it" strategy just because Matthews is putting up a monster season. Too many holes to plug with not enough resources.

See what we can add with term or an extension, yes...but the heavy lifting should be done in the offseason.

You're initial wish-list item...Adam Larsson...would still be a smart add for me

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll