Forums/Armchair-GM

Return of The Tank

Created by: Rooster
Team: 2024-25 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 16, 2024
Published: Jan. 23, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I really think we should consider re-signing Tarasenko. He's shown the type of vet leadership that this team needs and I think he's been an ideal fit for the dressing room. We need to fix goaltending, balance our RHD/LHD situation, and add some experience to the bottom 6. I don't see Korpi having any trade value that doesn't involve high draft pick sweeteners, so I'm buying him out. I also don't tend to overvalue some of our "core" guys - might be better to ship them for picks/prospects and then use the cap space to improve the roster.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$5,000,000
4$4,000,000
4$1,200,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$9,000,000
3$4,500,000
3$1,000,000
3$2,000,000
3$2,500,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Durzi, Sean [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Arizona could use a top 6 centre, at least as identified by the Athletic in a recent article. Norris' age fits with the Coyotes' roster construction
ARI
  1. Norris, Joshua
Additional Details:
Durzi provides Ottawa with a top 4 RHD
OTT
  1. Lambos, Carson
  2. 2024 1st round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
Pick has some sort of top 5 protection. Minny is identified as a possible destination for Chych given the extra cash from Spurgeon's LTIR. The article also states a pick and good prospect is the acquisition cost.
MIN
  1. Chychrun, Jakob
Additional Details:
We begin to stock the cupboard with some good prospects and can flip the pick for immediate help. I'd rather trade Chabot, but this seems to be the inevitable conclusion to our LHD jogjam.
OTT
  1. 2024 7th round pick (NSH)
Additional Details:
Decent backup at a cheap price with 50% retained.
NJD
  1. Forsberg, Anton ($1,375,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$88,005,713$850,000$0-$305,713
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 4
$8,350,000$8,350,000
C
UFA - 7
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, C
UFA
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 1
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C
RFA
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,050,000$8,050,000
LD
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
RFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
G
RFA
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$805,000$805,000
RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$863,333$863,333
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 23 at 1:31 p.m.
AZ Is thin at D. They are thin at center right now due to injuries, but they are loaded with quality center prospects. Norris would be a good target, but I don't think they are going to move Durzi. They took a swing and hit deep with that one.
Rooster and WJC_Enthusiast liked this.
Jan. 23 at 1:34 p.m.
mokumboi
Just FYI: Tarasenko doesn't like the Tank nickname. He prefers his normal Russian nickname Vova, but will also answer to Vladdy, probably because he's so used to it by now.
Rooster liked this.
Jan. 23 at 1:34 p.m.
This may be an unpopular opinion, but if I were the Coyotes I'd decline this.

Norris is good but he hasn't returned to the level he played at in 21-22, when he scored 35g and 20a for a total of 55pts in 66GP.

Meanwhile, Durzi is looking like a number 2 defensman in AZ right now. He's quarterbacking their PP, plays 22 minutes a night, is right handed (*) and is only 25 years old, which isn't drastically older than Norris, who's gonna turn 25 in a few months.

* This increases his value because of supply and demand. There is A TON of demand for right handed defensmen. Off the top of my head, I bet the Canucks, Oilers, Maple Leafs, maybe even Lightning (after Cernak their RD is weak ish), probably even Sabres (their best d-men are all left handed, they don't have a single top 4 caliber right handed defender) and most likely Stars are all looking for a top 4 right handed defensman. The demand is through the roof, but the supply is... lacking, let's just put it that way. This automatically increases the value of right handed defensmen.
Jan. 23 at 1:39 p.m.
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
AZ Is thin at D. They are thin at center right now due to injuries, but they are loaded with quality center prospects. Norris would be a good target, but I don't think they are going to move Durzi. They took a swing and hit deep with that one.

Quoting: WJC_Enthusiast
This may be an unpopular opinion, but if I were the Coyotes I'd decline this.

Norris is good but he hasn't returned to the level he played at in 21-22, when he scored 35g and 20a for a total of 55pts in 66GP.

Meanwhile, Durzi is looking like a number 2 defensman in AZ right now. He's quarterbacking their PP, plays 22 minutes a night, is right handed (*) and is only 25 years old, which isn't drastically older than Norris, who's gonna turn 25 in a few months.

* This increases his value because of supply and demand. There is A TON of demand for right handed defensmen. Off the top of my head, I bet the Canucks, Oilers, Maple Leafs, maybe even Lightning (after Cernak their RD is weak ish), probably even Sabres (their best d-men are all left handed, they don't have a single top 4 caliber right handed defender) and most likely Stars are all looking for a top 4 right handed defensman. The demand is through the roof, but the supply is... lacking, let's just put it that way. This automatically increases the value of right handed defensmen.

I just relooked at Arizona's depth at RHD and you're both correct. It's pretty thin right now. I was more concentrated on their need for a C and the Sens need for a RHD, but after further review I think the Coyotes might take a pass. Good value for both teams IMO, but maybe not the ideal fit.
Jan. 23 at 1:49 p.m.
LBS
Like others have said, I'd probably decline if I was Arizona, not that the offer is bad though

Barring a 35+point performance from Pinto, I think it's safe to assume he'll sign at around 3mil or less
I agree, Ottawa should be trying to resign Tarasenko
I wouldn't change goalies, ride with Korpisalo. Ned himself has been up and down, you're just as likely to have Korpisalo bounce back as you are to have Ned fall back. If in year 2 he sucks than I'd give up the high pick, buyout might be 333K in year 1 but it will go up and Ottawa's top guys are only just starting their primes (Stutzle, Tkachuk, Sanderson) going to need more space down the line
Stamkos seems like a long shot.
Rooster liked this.
Jan. 23 at 1:52 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I'd do that for forsberg assuming he clears waivers
Rooster liked this.
Jan. 23 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: Rooster
I just relooked at Arizona's depth at RHD and you're both correct. It's pretty thin right now. I was more concentrated on their need for a C and the Sens need for a RHD, but after further review I think the Coyotes might take a pass. Good value for both teams IMO, but maybe not the ideal fit.

They are a long shot to make the playoffs, so I don't see them looking for immediate help (at least not on that level). Norris would be great, but they'll just wait for Hatton to comeback. Hayton, Cooley, Bjugstad, McBain, Kerfoot, Jenik, and Smith is fine for now. Different if they were expected to make noise this year. Geekie and others in the system for later.
Rooster liked this.
Jan. 23 at 1:55 p.m.
Quoting: lowblocksniper
Like others have said, I'd probably decline if I was Arizona, not that the offer is bad though

Barring a 35+point performance from Pinto, I think it's safe to assume he'll sign at around 3mil or less
I agree, Ottawa should be trying to resign Tarasenko
I wouldn't change goalies, ride with Korpisalo. Ned himself has been up and down, you're just as likely to have Korpisalo bounce back as you are to have Ned fall back. If in year 2 he sucks than I'd give up the high pick, buyout might be 333K in year 1 but it will go up and Ottawa's top guys are only just starting their primes (Stutzle, Tkachuk, Sanderson) going to need more space down the line
Stamkos seems like a long shot.

All great points. I realize Stamkos is unlikely, but I would love to take a shot at a vet, Stanley Cup winner like this. If TB doesn't resign him, then Ottawa would likely not be in the mix, and if he took a phone call, I think it'd have to be a massive overpay to get him here for a couple of years. Really the only reasons I could see him entertaining it is the proximity to family in Toronto, the better travel schedule for Ottawa, and the fact that we have a nice outlet mall and a Ford car dealership directly across from the completely isolated arena.
lowblocksniper liked this.
Jan. 23 at 1:56 p.m.
LBS
All great points. I realize Stamkos is unlikely, but I would love to take a shot at a vet, Stanley Cup winner like this. If TB doesn't resign him, then Ottawa would likely not be in the mix, and if he took a phone call, I think it'd have to be a massive overpay to get him here for a couple of years. Really the only reasons I could see him entertaining it is the proximity to family in Toronto, the better travel schedule for Ottawa, and the fact that we have a nice outlet mall and a Ford car dealership directly across from the completely isolated arena.

Don't underestimate the dealership lol
Rooster liked this.
Jan. 23 at 3:32 p.m.
Wild are not buyers. No way we give up our 1st unless it has a top16 protection or something. Circle back during the offseason...
Jan. 23 at 3:57 p.m.
ya, not a chance OTT does the first 2 trades
Jan. 23 at 4:01 p.m.
Cites "the article" as support for his claim, but doesn't link the article or even give the title and author? Smells like a troll. Wild aren't giving up their 1st at this point.
Jan. 23 at 4:16 p.m.
Quoting: EccE
Wild are not buyers. No way we give up our 1st unless it has a top16 protection or something. Circle back during the offseason...

From the Athletic and Daily Faceoff articles, it seems that Minny is indeed looking at doing deals: “ As reported by The Athletic’s Michael Russo and Joe Smith last week, Wild GM Bill Guerin doesn’t intend to roll over after losing captain Jared Spurgeon to season-ending hip and back surgery.”

Agreed that there needs to be some sort of draft protection as I mentioned in my trade. But I think Minny could be an option here.
Jan. 23 at 4:20 p.m.
Quoting: Caerii
Cites "the article" as support for his claim, but doesn't link the article or even give the title and author? Smells like a troll. Wild aren't giving up their 1st at this point.

I realized that I didn’t link the article after I posted the ACGM. My bad. Certainly no interest in trolling on here. Check out the Daily Faceoff’s homepage and it’s the top article on six possible destinations for Chychryn. Minny is one of the teams. The article points why it works for each proposed teams along with barriers. Not a perfect fit in Minny, but Guerin is certainly not rolling over.
Jan. 23 at 7:26 p.m.
GMBA
there is a 0.0% chance AZ trades Durzi. laughable.
Jan. 24 at 4:28 a.m.
From the Athletic and Daily Faceoff articles, it seems that Minny is indeed looking at doing deals: “ As reported by The Athletic’s Michael Russo and Joe Smith last week, Wild GM Bill Guerin doesn’t intend to roll over after losing captain Jared Spurgeon to season-ending hip and back surgery.”

Agreed that there needs to be some sort of draft protection as I mentioned in my trade. But I think Minny could be an option here.

What I think Russo and others mean, is that Guerin is looking for inexpensive options with short-term deals to replace Spurge for the remainder of this season. While Chychrun is a great player to have on your roster, he meets none of those two criteria. He is not cheap to acquire, as shown in your proposal, and his 4,6 million dollar AAV deal (5,4 million in actual money this year and 7 million the next) runs through next season as well. Our 15 million in dead cap doesn't really like that.
Jan. 24 at 5:16 a.m.
Minnesota Wild

Read the article and not the headline if you want to see what Russo is talking about. He specifically says Guerin isn't willing to give up significant assets in a trade. That means no first round pick, likely no second round pick, and probably none of our top prospects (Lambos is our top D prospect with Faber as a full time NHLer). We're likely going after someone who can be had with something like a 4th round pick and won't cause significant cap issues next season like adding $4.6 million when we have $10.8 million to spend on 3 forwards, 2 defensemen, any healthy scratches, and an injury buffer. Adding Chychrun would make us spend $880k or less on 6 players plus 1 extra call up. That's far too tight for my liking after the insanity that was this season before Spurgeon was declared out for the year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll