Forums/Armchair-GM

Bruins offseason cap situation

Created by: ethanwinters
Team: 2024-25 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 30, 2023
Published: Feb. 4, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
They have a hole on top 4 LD and in the top six at either C or W and around 12 million to fill them if they move Ullmark.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
8$6,500,000
2$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,500,000
Trades
BOS
    To any team for best futures possible
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    19$87,700,000$73,979,167$50,000$542,500$13,720,833
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $11,250,000$11,250,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    $870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
    C
    RFA - 2
    $2,300,000$2,300,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $787,500$787,500
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C, RW
    RFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    G
    RFA
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LD
    NTC, NMC
    UFA - 6
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    RFA
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 4 at 3:40 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    In the offseason NJD will offer 2nd+prospect id expext
    Dekes liked this.
    Feb. 4 at 3:45 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    I think they just keep Ullmark to be honest.

Debrusk at $6.5M seems like a smidge much. I would hope for between $5.5M and $6M.

I think the bruins take a run at lindholm if he hits the market, but other than that, I think they're satisfied with their centers.
    Dekes liked this.
    Feb. 4 at 3:45 p.m.
    Dekesaladekes
    I wouldn’t say it’s hole at top 4 LHD I think they just need to give Lohrei more time in the NHL. I could see the finding like a 2A/2B type defender for Lohrei to ease him in a little easier.

As much as I would love hanifin or Chychrun it’s really not something we desperately need.
    Dillon/ OEL/ Gost make more sense to me.
    Skjei and Forsling I want to stay away from I think they will get overpaid.

Debrusk I feel will have to keep up the pace he’s at all season to demand 6.5 mill.
    I’d say 5.25-5.75 is more his price range, Tippett who got 6.2 has been more dynamic and a better offensive threat and the league has always paid goal scorers more then 2 way players.
    Feb. 4 at 3:47 p.m.
    My expectation is that if they resign DeBrusk, he will be at the LW opposite Pasta with Zacha at center

OK with the second line.

The third line will be Frederic, Poitras, Geekie based on the way players are going now. My assumption is they resign one of JVR or Heinen.

I think I’d rather keep Ullmark for the balance of the year than give him up for a second. You should be able to still sign Hanifan (which I believe they are doing if he hits FA) and focus on other items. You could revisit at the trade deadline again where teams continually do the same stupid risk with goaltenders and feel the consequences.
    Dekes liked this.
    Feb. 4 at 3:47 p.m.
    Dekesaladekes
    Quoting: dgibb10
    In the offseason NJD will offer 2nd+prospect id expext

I can’t see bruins taking anything less than a 1st. Not really any big/ team changing UFA goalies this season with a lot of PO capable teams in need of a true starter.

LA/ Carolina/ NJ/ Detroit/ Buffalo/ Seattle all those teams want to compete some more than others, someone will cough up a 1st.

I expect him to get the same return as Darcy kuemper did with 1yr left.
    Feb. 4 at 3:51 p.m.
    Quoting: Dekes
    I wouldn’t say it’s hole at top 4 LHD I think they just need to give Lohrei more time in the NHL. I could see the finding like a 2A/2B type defender for Lohrei to ease him in a little easier.

As much as I would love hanifin or Chychrun it’s really not something we desperately need.

Debrusk I feel will have to keep up the pace he’s at all season to demand 6.5 mill.
    I’d say 5.25-5.75 is more his price range, Tippett who got 6.2 has been more dynamic and a better offensive threat and the league has always paid goal scorers more then 2 way players.

Give me Hanifin or Skjeci any day of the week. Both those guys would be fine additions to the Bruins back line. This teams identify is defense, goaltending, and physical forechecking. Both those guys add to it.

I don’t see them signing JDB unless Lindholm signs an extension.
    Dekes liked this.
    Feb. 4 at 3:52 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    I can’t see bruins taking anything less than a 1st. Not really any big/ team changing UFA goalies this season with a lot of PO capable teams in need of a true starter.

LA/ Carolina/ NJ/ Detroit/ Buffalo/ Seattle all those teams want to compete some more than others, someone will cough up a 1st.

I could see that as a possibility, although I think the bruins would lack some leverage in this scenario that could lower the return (needing cap space to fill other major holes).

If Ullmark returned a 1st I’d say “yeah, reasonable enough”
    If Ullmark returned a 2nd I’d say “yeah, reasonable enough”
    Feb. 4 at 3:52 p.m.
    Edited Feb. 4 at 4:00 p.m.

And even if they don’t, one more year with great goaltending and then Ullmark’s cap slot being allocated to a Frederic extension is not a terrible thing. It does require the emergence of young talents like Poitras and Lysell, but probably willing to take that bet

I could see that as a possibility, although I think the bruins would lack some leverage in this scenario that could lower the return (needing cap space to fill other major holes).

The off-season goalie market doesn’t look good and there are more good teams with bad goalie situations where I think something could happen. My guess is if a second is the best that is being offered, he’s being traded to the Western Conference. If it’s NJ acquiring him, I’d expect a first or a prospect like Holtz / later pick.

The only circumstance where I see him going to NJD for a second is if both Lindholm and Hanifin make it clear, it’s Boston and they need to clear his slot. It would require stupidity from other teams trying to leverage rather than trade

Part of me wonders if LA would be open to a big deal involving PLD and Ullmark. Hes been disappointing there and they’ve returned back to earth.

Also, I do think the extension eligibility may open Ullmark up to other teams hoping to avoid doing the Korpisalo
    dgibb10, Dekes and Bias4bruins liked this.
    Feb. 4 at 4:01 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    Quoting: Celtics21
    And even if they don’t, one more year with great goaltending and then Ullmark’s cap slot being allocated to a Frederic extension is not a terrible thing. It does require the emergence of young talents like Poitras and Lysell, but probably willing to take that bet

The off-season goalie market doesn’t look good and there are more good teams with bad goalie situations where I think something could happen. My guess is if a second is the best that is being offered, he’s being traded to the Western Conference. If it’s NJ acquiring him, I’d expect a first or a prospect like Holtz / later pick. The only circumstance where I see him going to NJD for a second is if both Lindholm and Hanifin make it clear, it’s Boston and they need to clear his slot. It would require stupidity from other teams

Part of me wonders if LA would be open to a big deal involving PLD and Ullmark. Hes been disappointing there and they’ve returned back to earth.

Also, I do think the extension eligibility may open Ullmark up to other teams hoping to avoid doing the Korpisalo

I think you’re vastly underrating holtz here. Personally the only Boston trade I see involving Holtz would be Holtz+1st for swayman.

Would value Holtz significantly higher than I value a 1st.
    Feb. 4 at 4:04 p.m.
    I think you’re vastly underrating holtz here. Personally the only Boston trade I see involving Holtz would be Holtz+1st for swayman.

Would value Holtz significantly higher than I value a 1st.

There is like zero chance for a Holtz plus 1 for Swayman. I could counter with a Ullmark with ration + 1 for Mercer. I feel that’s closer, but it probably isn’t happening. I may be undervaluing him, but I am also very much wanting to give Lysell a shot after his season in Providence

All I’m saying is that if it is NJD, it’s not going to be for a second because there should be other teams purposely pursuing him considering how many teams have bad goaltending. If not, wait to the deadline and it will rear its ugly head again.
    Dekes and Bias4bruins liked this.
    Feb. 4 at 4:06 p.m.
    Dekesaladekes

When did we lose leverage and what “major” holes do we have?
    We lost Bergeron/Krejci/ Hall/ Bertuzzi/Clifton/ Orlov/Nosek/Hathaway now that’s a lot of holes
    And we are still tied for 1st in the league, that many loses would end most franchises!

Would a true 1C be nice? Yes of course
    Would another 20+ minute LHD be nice? Yea for sure
    Would 3 more 20-30 goal scoring forwards make me happy? Ya what fan wouldn’t be.

But…. Bruins have proved they don’t need all those shiny items to win games.

Bruins have always and will always be a TEAM
    Score by committee
    Defence by committee
    Win by committee
    The year Boston won their cup their leading scorers tied for 62 points/ the league leader had 104 and we beat his team.
    Sometimes depth and finding players who gel well together leads to more success than a bunch of “all-stars”.

Sweeney isn’t gonna sell low on a goalie who just won a vezina and has still be very solid this season, he’s a smart GM if people don’t want him for fair price now he’ll make you double your price at TDL when other GM’s get really desperate because they didn’t address their goalie situation earlier.
    Feb. 4 at 4:09 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    There is like zero chance for a Holtz plus 1 for Swayman. I could counter with a Ullmark with ration + 1 for Mercer. I feel that’s closer, but it probably isn’t happening.

All I’m saying is that if it is NJD, it’s not going to be for a second because there should be other teams purposely pursuing him considering how many teams have bad goaltending. If not, wait to the deadline and it will rear its ugly head again.

As of right now it seems like the goaltending buyers have dried up. Carolina doesn’t appear to need one with Freddy back, nor Edmonton with skinner playing well, nor Toronto with Woll coming back and Samsonov playing better, nor LAK from what I’ve heard

Seems like a lot of teams with spare goalies and 1 team with a need still. That’s a market that favours NJD imo. That’s the problem with trying to be a seller in the goalie market. You wait a month and the teams with goalie issues may not have them any more, or your previously great goalie may come back down to earth.

Again I think you’re sleeping on holtz. I’d happily replace him in any trade with 2 1sts. So basically in my view a Holtz +1st offer is 3 1sts of value for Swayman. And again as always I’d be willing to replace holtz with different assets that equate to that value if you prefer. If Swayman contract issues go into the offseason I don’t think it’s as crazy as it may seem
    Feb. 4 at 4:13 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    When did we lose leverage and what “major” holes do we have?
    We lost Bergeron/Krejci/ Hall/ Bertuzzi/Clifton/ Orlov/Nosek/Hathaway now that’s a lot of holes
    And we are still tied for 1st in the league, that many loses would end most franchises!

Would a true 1C be nice? Yes of course
    Would another 20+ minute LHD be nice? Yea for sure
    Would 3 more 20-30 goal scoring forwards make me happy? Ya what fan wouldn’t be.

But…. Bruins have proved they don’t need all those shiny items to win games.

Bruins have always and will always be a TEAM
    Score by committee
    Defence by committee
    Win by committee
    The year Boston won their cup their leading scorers tied for 62 points/ the league leader had 104 and we beat his team.
    Sometimes depth and finding players who gel well together leads to more success than a bunch of “all-stars”.

Sweeney isn’t gonna sell low on a goalie who just won a vezina and has still be very solid this season, he’s a smart GM if people don’t want him for fair price now he’ll make you double your price at TDL when other GM’s get really desperate because they didn’t address their goalie situation earlier.

Historically the opposite has been true at the TDL for goalies. The last 2 teams who tried to sell Vezina caliber goalies as rentals at the deadline (Fleury reigning Vezina winner, and Lehner reigning 3rd place finisher) both did not end up getting a 1st back. Bishop didn’t get a 1st back either.

You lose leverage in the offseason with more options being available, cap space being more of a premium asset (because of all the free agents), and Boston having other holes that they would like to fill, and they need cap space to be able to do that in free agency. If they wait, those solutions such as Hanifin or Lindholm or whoever may come off the market.

It’s not a comment about Boston it’s just generally how the market operates. Players with high cap hits become less attractive options
    Feb. 4 at 4:20 p.m.
    As of right now it seems like the goaltending buyers have dried up. Carolina doesn’t appear to need one with Freddy back, nor Edmonton with skinner playing well, nor Toronto with Woll coming back and Samsonov playing better, nor LAK from what I’ve heard

Seems like a lot of teams with spare goalies and 1 team with a need still. That’s a market that favours NJD imo. That’s the problem with trying to be a seller in the goalie market. You wait a month and the teams with goalie issues may not have them any more, or your previously great goalie may come back down to earth.

Again I think you’re sleeping on holtz. I’d happily replace him in any trade with 2 1sts. So basically in my view a Holtz +1st offer is 3 1sts of value for Swayman. And again as always I’d be willing to replace holtz with different assets that equate to that value if you prefer. If Swayman contract issues go into the offseason I don’t think it’s as crazy as it may seem

My private hope is that Carolina, Toronto, and Edmonton go with their current goalie situation in the playoffs.

The reality is the cap situation for most teams make it hard to fulfill a deal now, because the goal should be winning it all and my bet is their goalie situation likely impacts them though someone could always go on a heater

The irony is the team that looked like they were OK with the goalie decision are now struggling because Cam Talbott has returned to being Cam Talbott.
    Feb. 4 at 4:27 p.m.
    Bcarlo25

Tippett's deal was an RFA deal, Debrusks is a UFA deal.

Lohrei hasn't shown he can be top four in the NHL. I fully think he'll get there, but the bruins aren't hte type of organization to just bank on that.
    Feb. 4 at 4:34 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    Historically the opposite has been true at the TDL for goalies. The last 2 teams who tried to sell Vezina caliber goalies as rentals at the deadline (Fleury reigning Vezina winner, and Lehner reigning 3rd place finisher) both did not end up getting a 1st back. Bishop didn’t get a 1st back either.

You lose leverage in the offseason with more options being available, cap space being more of a premium asset (because of all the free agents), and Boston having other holes that they would like to fill, and they need cap space to be able to do that in free agency. If they wait, those solutions such as Hanifin or Lindholm or whoever may come off the market.

It’s not a comment about Boston it’s just generally how the market operates. Players with high cap hits become less attractive options

These aren't really comparable sitautions. Fleury was 37 i think. Ullmark is 30. Lehner had his off-ice stuff, and Ullmark has none of that.

Ultimately, I do think you're right in one area - he's worth more to boston than what they'll get offered in trade. I think they keep him, let him test the market in FA and hope that he would prefer to take shorter money in boston than get a bigger deal elsewhere. if not, thanks for the four years linus.
    Feb. 4 at 4:38 p.m.
    Give me Hanifin or Skjeci any day of the week. Both those guys would be fine additions to the Bruins back line. This teams identify is defense, goaltending, and physical forechecking. Both those guys add to it.

I don’t see them signing JDB unless Lindholm signs an extension.

I don't see why they wouldn't. There's not much better than him hitting UFA and he's still a big part of the top 6. Team doesn't get any better by letting him walk
    Feb. 4 at 4:42 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    Quoting: Bcarlo25
    These aren't really comparable sitautions. Fleury was 37 i think. Ullmark is 30. Lehner had his off-ice stuff, and Ullmark has none of that.

Ultimately, I do think you're right in one area - he's worth more to boston than what they'll get offered in trade. I think they keep him, let him test the market in FA and hope that he would prefer to take shorter money in boston than get a bigger deal elsewhere. if not, thanks for the four years linus.

Ben Bishop would be the best comp for a guy pushed out by Vasy, similar cap hit with the retention traded by Tampa at the deadline. Got a prospect who did turn out but wasn’t very highly regarded at that time. No 1st
    Bcarlo25 liked this.
    Feb. 4 at 4:46 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    Ben Bishop would be the best comp for a guy pushed out by Vasy, similar cap hit with the retention traded by Tampa at the deadline. Got a prospect who did turn out but wasn’t very highly regarded at that time. No 1st

decent comp. though i think cernak was thought of more highly than you might be remembering.
    Feb. 4 at 4:50 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    Quoting: Bcarlo25
    decent comp. though i think cernak was thought of more highly than you might be remembering.

Maybe you’re right. Although just from looking back It didn’t appear he’d done anything special between being a 2nd round pick and the trade

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll