coulda woulda shoulda nylander edition

Created by: Wz92
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 7, 2024
Published: Feb. 7, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
one can dream

lemme know which trades/signings are bad! some are just for cap relief so picks etc dont matter
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,750,000
1$2,000,000
1$800,000
1$875,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$825,000
1$3,250,000
6$9,250,000
4$4,600,000
3$6,500,000
2$2,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Johnson, Kent [RFA Rights]
  2. Texier, Alexandre [RFA Rights]
CBJ
  1. Liljegren, Timothy [RFA Rights]
  2. Robertson, Nicholas [RFA Rights]
  3. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (NJD)
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (NJD)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$88,500,000$87,723,834$0$137,500$776,166

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$9,250,000$9,250,000
C, RW
UFA
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$859,167$859,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
RFA
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, RW
UFA
$875,000$875,000
LW, RW
RFA
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, C
RFA
$825,000$825,000
LW, RW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
UFA
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
UFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 7 at 2:10 p.m.
Devils have no interest in paying for the privilege to give you cap room. Kampf is just too long for a pretty mid player that we have no idea would even work here. Certainly not paying that price to take him off your hands.
Feb. 7 at 2:13 p.m.
you guys lost McCloed, who is going to replace your 3C? He is affordable and yes mid, but by proxy isnt that all third liners? regardless- picks here are subjective, moreso just a capdump to a team that would need a defensive 3rd line center
Feb. 7 at 2:18 p.m.
So should have traded nulander for nothing that helps the team enough to justify it and then turn around and pay lindholm way too much? Wat
Feb. 7 at 2:22 p.m.
11.5 was too much to pay Willy. That being said, you can get more than that for him. More current NHL players is a pre-req IMO.
Feb. 7 at 2:24 p.m.
not a he )
Oh, goody, another offensive RHD Columbus doesn't need. How could we possibly say no to trading our dynamic young winger for that.
Feb. 7 at 2:25 p.m.
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
So should have traded nulander for nothing that helps the team enough to justify it and then turn around and pay lindholm way too much? Wat

This core has proven to NOT work . In your world, what justifys it? the way I look at it, Leafs dont need offense, they need big bodies on D, depth, and a prospect pool. They achieve all of that for a guy that has cooled off significantly since hes been paid. I think its justified. They have a core to build around already, and can afford to overpay Lindholm (one of, if not now the best thanks to berg retiring) by approx 1M a year, realistically that is what hes going to get anyway. What would you pay Lindholm? and what do you think he is going to get in FA?
Feb. 7 at 2:26 p.m.
Quoting: cnick19
11.5 was too much to pay Willy. That being said, you can get more than that for him. More current NHL players is a pre-req IMO.

fair enough. What would you add? Shane Wright instead of Nelson or Morrison?
Feb. 7 at 2:31 p.m.
Quoting: squashmaple
Oh, goody, another offensive RHD Columbus doesn't need. How could we possibly say no to trading our dynamic young winger for that.

yeah i agree this one may be far fetched! I see the potential with Kent, but i also think its clear at this point CBJ is not the place for him, nor is a place he wants to be. I think the addition of the first makes it good, but maybe to make you happy, take out the 1st and do a 2nd+Ty Nelson or Logan Morisson from the SEA trade.

For what its worth Lily definitely is not an offensive Dman, he definitely excels more on the defensive side.
Feb. 7 at 2:34 p.m.
Quoting: Wz92
This core has proven to NOT work . In your world, what justifys it? the way I look at it, Leafs dont need offense, they need big bodies on D, depth, and a prospect pool. They achieve all of that for a guy that has cooled off significantly since hes been paid. I think its justified. They have a core to build around already, and can afford to overpay Lindholm (one of, if not now the best thanks to berg retiring) by approx 1M a year, realistically that is what hes going to get anyway. What would you pay Lindholm? and what do you think he is going to get in FA?

So if the core doesnt work then you make trades and signings to better the team.
This does not do that. The leafs need good players not just 'big' players, if your main justification for a trade is that the guy is big, then you lost and your team is worse for it.
As far as lindholm goes, if this core doesnt work then how does an older player, who cannot drive their own line make any sense if you get him for his worth let alone massivly over paying a guy past prime? If some othet team wants to jump on that grenade you let them
Feb. 7 at 2:43 p.m.
fair enough. What would you add? Shane Wright instead of Nelson or Morrison?

Maybe, he'd be a great cost effective addition for years, but hes not a difference maker atm. My main target would be Jared McCann. Hes a ++ finisher and plays C/W for only 5 Mill. Nylander for Oleksiak and Mccann (with other stuff to balance value obviously) would put the Leafs in a great position to improve even after trading Willy.
Feb. 7 at 2:56 p.m.
Quoting: NJDevils1317
Devils have no interest in paying for the privilege to give you cap room. Kampf is just too long for a pretty mid player that we have no idea would even work here. Certainly not paying that price to take him off your hands.

Good shutdown C but holy Christ not for that price lol a 4th and 7th is more than enough
Feb. 7 at 3:05 p.m.
Quoting: CoryTheGreat
Good shutdown C but holy Christ not for that price lol a 4th and 7th is more than enough

I remember Lars Eller got 2 seconds a bit ago when he got traded to Washington and I view Kampf as a similar (but slightly worse) player... that was the starting point for the trade. Regardless, picks are irrelevant, just wanted to get them out at a fair price for cap space
Feb. 7 at 3:08 p.m.
Quoting: cnick19
Maybe, he'd be a great cost effective addition for years, but hes not a difference maker atm. My main target would be Jared McCann. Hes a ++ finisher and plays C/W for only 5 Mill. Nylander for Oleksiak and Mccann (with other stuff to balance value obviously) would put the Leafs in a great position to improve even after trading Willy.

i dont think that would interest Seattle though, I think McCann would be an awesome Complimentary piece but I think he is too good. I think the leafs need the D prospects, but Wright + Morrison + Kartye + Olyskiak would be fair i think?
Feb. 7 at 3:08 p.m.
So if the core doesnt work then you make trades and signings to better the team.
This does not do that. The leafs need good players not just 'big' players, if your main justification for a trade is that the guy is big, then you lost and your team is worse for it.
As far as lindholm goes, if this core doesnt work then how does an older player, who cannot drive their own line make any sense if you get him for his worth let alone massivly over paying a guy past prime? If some othet team wants to jump on that grenade you let them

I would not say the Core 4 doesn't work. Due to the pandemic the Leaf's were cap heavy more than any other team as they just signed their core when it hit.

If they stay the course like they are doing and look to fix the D this summer they will be a heavy favorite in 2025
Feb. 7 at 3:12 p.m.
Quoting: kous
I would not say the Core 4 doesn't work. Due to the pandemic the Leaf's were cap heavy more than any other team as they just signed their core when it hit.

If they stay the course like they are doing and look to fix the D this summer they will be a heavy favorite in 2025

The core 4 has generally been fine at worst too. The issue has pretty much never been them or their production save the Columbus series.
This season is basically everything but them is turning to crap because the new guy didnt address any of the actual issues and their goaltending is a mess because of injuries and one guy turning into a pumpkin for a quarter of the year.
This is why you dont make 'snot' your primary goal to improve a team
kous liked this.
Feb. 7 at 3:14 p.m.
This does not do that. The leafs need good players not just 'big' players.
- strongly disagree. The blueprint to win the cup shows you need big bodies on D that make it difficult to play against in the playoffs. I think through FA and this trade it happens. We get 2 elite prospects and a 3rd liner we need. I was very impressed with Kartye in seattles playoffs, he was a difference maker.

As far as lindholm goes, if this core doesnt work then how does an older player, who cannot drive their own line make any sense if you get him for his worth let alone massivly over paying a guy past prime?

- 1. older players can be more beneficial to a team. Age does not equal success.
- 2., i dont think its a massive overpay. Routine selke runner up behind bergeron. Won't drive a line, I agree, but a he wouldnt need to with Tavares. He is good for 65-85 points and can shut down lines. thats great for a 2c.
- 3. I think he fetches 8.5M and I think that regardless of age he will play well defensively for the life of the contract. Cant disagree with term though, it definitely is too long. This is just what i think is needed to bring him to Toronto. Not saying its great long term. Just what the leafs need to win within their window
Feb. 7 at 3:23 p.m.
The core 4 has generally been fine at worst too. The issue has pretty much never been them or their production save the Columbus series.
This season is basically everything but them is turning to crap because the new guy didnt address any of the actual issues and their goaltending is a mess because of injuries and one guy turning into a pumpkin for a quarter of the year.
This is why you dont make 'snot' your primary goal to improve a team

The leaf's need to sit back this year and look towards the 2025 season when they will have some cap flexibility. There is no way they can fix all their holes at the deadline.

Step 1 avoid the urge to spend at the deadline (2024)
Step 2 Fix the D and goaltending and look for quality bottom 6 this summer as they will be tight against the cap Let the kids play in 2024
Step 3 No longer cap strap they can add the needed pieces to the forward group and a real contending window opens.

This is what I think they should do
Feb. 7 at 3:54 p.m.
where do you think they need to add? At this age and with his Legs Tavares is almost suited better as a 3C or a winger. Don't you think any additions would be depth (like this trade)
Feb. 7 at 6:32 p.m.
i dont think that would interest Seattle though, I think McCann would be an awesome Complimentary piece but I think he is too good. I think the leafs need the D prospects, but Wright + Morrison + Kartye + Olyskiak would be fair i think?

The value may be fair and balanced (I don't now the prospects enough to say), but the Leafs best players are in their primes and Id rather go somewhere else if the only offer is young guys. Like instead of the deal you made, try and pry Konecny out of Philly or get Hanafin+.

I actually really like the Seattle idea and I would be willing to throw in more on top of Willy (depending on cost) if we can get McCann and Oleksiak back. Something like a first or B+/A- prospect. That just gives us such a good shot at a cup for the next 2-3 years.

(Obviously all of these trade suggestions would have happened in the offseason or some time before the Nylander extension.)
Feb. 7 at 9:53 p.m.
yeah i agree this one may be far fetched! I see the potential with Kent, but i also think its clear at this point CBJ is not the place for him, nor is a place he wants to be. I think the addition of the first makes it good, but maybe to make you happy, take out the 1st and do a 2nd+Ty Nelson or Logan Morisson from the SEA trade.

For what its worth Lily definitely is not an offensive Dman, he definitely excels more on the defensive side.

I think this management group makes Columbus look like not the place for anyone. That should be remedied this summer, or sooner.

Kent, aside from a month-long stint in the AHL early this year, has looked pretty good at the NHL level and hasn't seemed discontent at all this year. He even had a good attitude about the AHL demotion, dominated, and came back up. We've got a hard time developing and retaining guys like him, so I just don't see Columbus moving him at all in the near future.
Feb. 8 at 10:51 a.m.
Quoting: CaseyFlyman
I think this management group makes Columbus look like not the place for anyone. That should be remedied this summer, or sooner.

for your sake i hope it get's remedied. I feel for you. CBJ has been a poverty franchise since it came into existence. At its valued more than a dump of trash though (AZ)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll