What exactly do the Flames want from the Devils in a trade for Jacob Markstrom

Created by: sensonfire
Team: 2023-24 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 13, 2024
Published: Feb. 13, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
It's not exactly clear to me.

The closest comparables that I can find for Markstrom are the trades for Darcy Kuemper, Frederik Andersen, Cory Schneider and Semyon Varlamov.
Trades
CGY
    What exactly would the Flames want from the Devils in a trade for Jacob Markstrom ?

If you could let me know in the comments, that would be awesome :)
    Buyouts
    Recapture Fees
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$77,618,333$422,500$5,540,000$5,881,667
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    C
    UFA - 4
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 8
    $3,150,000$3,150,000
    C, LW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    C
    UFA - 7
    $2,125,000$2,125,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $8,800,000$8,800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 8
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RW, C
    RFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $1,350,000$1,350,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$3,250,000$3M)
    RD
    RFA - 3
    Logo of the Calgary Flames
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    G
    RFA - 1
    $850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $1,850,000$1,850,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $775,000$775,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LD/RD, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    RD
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 13 at 11:15 a.m.
    Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
    Please list every goalie ever that has gotten 2 firsts in a trade, forgetting everything else.

He's recieved vezina votes 3 times in 13+ seasons btw

Curtis Joseph
    dgibb10 and sensonfire liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 11:38 a.m.
    Quoting: NHLfan10506
    Curtis Joseph

Thank you for your service. That was 29 years ago and the rights to Mike Grier came with him.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 11:47 a.m.
    This is nuts.

Markstrom was bad last year. There is more pressure on Conroy to sell him high than on NJD.

Vanecek was better last year.

Goalies are voodoo.

Markstrom has NTC…which usually limits the return.

In general, goalies rarely return significant value in trades. Players like Nemec, Mercer, Siegenthaler, Holtz, Casey, are probably not even considered here.

A pick between 17-48 is probably the biggest asset being offered. But 32T reported Flames do not want picks.

Markstrom is 34, has $6m cap hit and Flames have said they will not retain or take back cap.

Flames fans wanted Holtz+1st for Toffoli…a 1st for Zadorov…I am just as suspicious of their prices today.

Every legitimate reporter who has looked into this has come up with same conclusion.

It’s not happening.

(Can we please be done with these?)
    dgibb10 and sensonfire liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 11:49 a.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    Quoting: NHLfan10506
    This is nuts.

Markstrom was bad last year. There is more pressure on Conroy to sell him high than on NJD.

Vanecek was better last year.

Goalies are voodoo.

Markstrom has NTC…which usually limits the return.

In general, goalies rarely return significant value in trades. Players like Nemec, Mercer, Siegenthaler, Holtz, Casey, are probably not even considered here.

A pick between 17-48 is probably the biggest asset being offered. But 32T reported Flames do not want picks.

Markstrom is 34, has $6m cap hit and Flames have said they will not retain or take back cap.

Flames fans wanted Holtz+1st for Toffoli…a 1st for Zadorov…I am just as suspicious of their prices today.

Every legitimate reporter who has looked into this has come up with same conclusion.

It’s not happening.

(Can we please be done with these?)

Why can’t they just go harass Carolina fans for Necas and Jarvis. Carolina is much closer to winning a cup than we are rn, in much more of a win now mode, and have had just as bad goalie play.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 11:49 a.m.
    Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
    Thank you for your service. That was 29 years ago and the rights to Mike Grier came with him.

You asked.

That was the entire list.

(Of course there were a couple of guys that returned two 1sts in two different trades, Ron Tugnutt I think…but only CuJo in one trade).
    sensonfire and dgibb10 liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 11:52 a.m.
    On the Rod Meal Plan
    Quoting: dgibb10
    Why can’t they just go harass Carolina fans for Necas and Jarvis. Carolina is much closer to winning a cup than we are rn, in much more of a win now mode, and have had just as bad goalie play.

I have seen at least 1 Markstrom for Necas trade and if memory serves a Calgary fan suggested the Canes would have to add a pick.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 11:55 a.m.
    Banned
    The flaw in most people's arguments here is that there's little precedent in recent times because goalies of this level are rarely traded. The best example at this point is Kuemper who was moved for a 1st, 3rd and Timmins.

People who want to use players like MAF, Murray, etc... are really missing the mark. I think the better challenge here is to give an example of how many goalies at Markstrom's level have been moved in the last ten years. There's too few to name.
    sensonfire and EvanW711 liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 11:56 a.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    Quoting: Huge_Caniac_Abe_Lincoln
    I have seen at least 1 Markstrom for Necas trade and if memory serves a Calgary fan suggested the Canes would have to add a pick.

NJD taking 99% of the horrific proposals tho while you guys sit there imo more of a fit for Markstrom

-your core is older mostly in their late 20s compared to NJD in their early/mid 20s
    -you’re 100% better than us right now
    -this year is what I’d consider your best shot to win a cup that you’ll have in the next 5 years imo
    -I know Freddie is coming back (and he should be good), but you’ve had similarly poor goaltending play to us so far
    Feb. 13 at 11:57 a.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
    The flaw in most people's arguments here is that there's little precedent in recent times because goalies of this level are rarely traded. The best example at this point is Kuemper who was moved for a 1st, 3rd and Timmins.

People who want to use players like MAF, Murray, etc... are really missing the mark. I think the better challenge here is to give an example of how many goalies at Markstrom's level have been moved in the last ten years. There's too few to name.

MAF was the reigning Vezina winner. He was moved for nothing because he was old and expensive.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 11:59 a.m.
    Banned
    MAF was the reigning Vezina winner. He was moved for nothing because he was old and expensive.

The MAF situation is a bad example and you know it. There were/are so many other factors going on with the Vegas goalie situation that do not apply to a situation like this. The fact you're actually forcing this issue continues to prove everything I've been seeing with all your recent posts. You're a very myopic black & white person.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 12:02 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    The MAF situation is a bad example and you know it. There were/are so many other factors going on with the Vegas goalie situation that do not apply to a situation like this. The fact you're actually forcing this issue continues to prove everything I've been seeing with all your recent posts. You're a very myopic black & white person.

A team with a window like NJDs should not be moving anything of significance for a 34 year old goalie with a 6 million dollar cap hit.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 12:03 p.m.
    On the Rod Meal Plan
    NJD taking 99% of the horrific proposals tho while you guys sit there imo more of a fit for Markstrom

-your core is older mostly in their late 20s compared to NJD in their early/mid 20s
    -you’re 100% better than us right now
    -this year is what I’d consider your best shot to win a cup that you’ll have in the next 5 years imo
    -I know Freddie is coming back (and he should be good), but you’ve had similarly poor goaltending play to us so far

Be the change you want to see in the world I guess. If you want the 4-5 other Canes fans to yell at you online there's nothing stopping you from starting the Markstrom to Carolina for an overpay train.
    sensonfire and dgibb10 liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 12:09 p.m.
    Banned
    A team with a window like NJDs should not be moving anything of significance for a 34 year old goalie with a 6 million dollar cap hit.

The name of the game is playoffs and money. The Devils have a young team, yes, so they're not in a rush, but if their goal is to make the playoffs NOW which also means more revenue :

1) They have to upgrade at goal which is their major weakness right now and if they miss the playoffs; that's the reason why.
    2) The options are limited which really is an understatement.
    3) CGY is under no pressure to move Markstrom which allows them to wait for a bidding war.
    4) Markstrom may be 34, but he's showing no signs of slowing down. The fact he's putting up above average numbers on a mediocre team proves he's still got plenty left in the tank.
    5) Anyone pointing out his one bad year over the last five years doesn't understand goaltending.
    sensonfire liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 12:14 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    The name of the game is playoffs and money. The Devils have a young team, yes, so they're not in a rush, but if their goal is to make the playoffs NOW which also means more revenue :

1) They have to upgrade at goal which is their major weakness right now and if they miss the playoffs; that's the reason why.
    2) The options are limited which really is an understatement.
    3) CGY is under no pressure to move Markstrom which allows them to wait for a bidding war.
    4) Markstrom may be 34, but he's showing no signs of slowing down. The fact he's putting up above average numbers on a mediocre team proves he's still got plenty left in the tank.
    5) Anyone pointing out his one bad year over the last five years doesn't understand goaltending.

He was bad last year and he was bad in 20-21. That’s 2 years out of 4.

There’s plenty of options out there. The kings were desperate for a goalie and they got Korpi having an excellent season as a throw in for a 3rd.

Plenty of guys who can be had.

What there actually isn’t any more is buyers. With woll on his way back and Samsonov playing better Toronto is out. With arvidsson back LAK dont have the cap for any goalie. With the way skinner is playing Edmonton isn’t getting a goalie unless it’s a backup. Is Carolina buying now that Freddy Andersen is on the verge of coming back?

And is NJD even buying? Vitek has been a lot better lately, daws has looked good enough.

There was buyers. Now there isn’t really. Especially not ones who can fit a 6 million dollar goalie into their salary cap
    sensonfire liked this.
    Feb. 13 at 12:15 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    Quoting: Huge_Caniac_Abe_Lincoln
    Be the change you want to see in the world I guess. If you want the 4-5 other Canes fans to yell at you online there's nothing stopping you from starting the Markstrom to Carolina for an overpay train.

In the name of equality I just need to convince a few flames fans that the canes are a better fit so that it’s 10 awful NJD proposals a day and 10 canes ones instead of 19 devils ones and 1 Carolina proposal
    Feb. 13 at 12:19 p.m.
    Banned
    He was bad last year and he was bad in 20-21. That’s 2 years out of 4.

There’s plenty of options out there. The kings were desperate for a goalie and they got Korpi having an excellent season as a throw in for a 3rd.

Plenty of guys who can be had.

What there actually isn’t any more is buyers. With woll on his way back and Samsonov playing better Toronto is out. With arvidsson back LAK dont have the cap for any goalie. With the way skinner is playing Edmonton isn’t getting a goalie unless it’s a backup. Is Carolina buying now that Freddy Andersen is on the verge of coming back?

And is NJD even buying? Vitek has been a lot better lately, daws has looked good enough.

There was buyers. Now there isn’t really. Especially not ones who can fit a 6 million dollar goalie into their salary cap

Again, you're only proving more that you don't understand the game of hockey or goalies. Goaltending is a roller coaster and there's literally maybe two or three goals in the world who don't have off-years, so if you don't grasp that you should really stop talking about goalies. Markstrom has far more good than bad over his career.

There are plenty of options? Please name them.
    Feb. 13 at 12:21 p.m.

Teams without goaltenders do great on the NHL just look at Edmonton and Toronto all NJD need is a generational player or a 70 goal scorer those should be easy to find.
    Feb. 13 at 12:21 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    Quoting: PSJ
    Teams without goaltenders do great on the NHL just look at Edmonton and Toronto all NJD need is a generational player or a 70 goal scorer those should be easy to find.

NJD has a generational player so we're all set there
    Feb. 13 at 12:24 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    Again, you're only proving more that you don't understand the game of hockey or goalies. Goaltending is a roller coaster and there's literally maybe two or three goals in the world who don't have off-years, so if you don't grasp that you should really stop talking about goalies. Markstrom has far more good than bad over his career.

There are plenty of options? Please name them.

If I put things like Mercer+Holtz+1st on the table or all the other ridiculous asks here?? Any goalie I wanted.
    Feb. 13 at 12:26 p.m.
    Banned
    If I put things like Mercer+Holtz+1st on the table or all the other ridiculous asks here?? Any goalie I wanted.

Please tell me the "plenty of options"
    Feb. 13 at 12:36 p.m.
    R.I.P Yotes
    Quoting: Flames1217
    There are 6 players in the top 6, Zary only takes up one spot.

Huberdeau will still be there and hopefully so will Coronato.

There is room for sure and Mercer could take up one of the available spots for the next decade.

Assuming we are re tooling, we will probably pick up players with a higher ceiling than Mercer and are much younger. He’d be taking up a spot that could be used for better players
    Feb. 13 at 12:42 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    Please tell me the "plenty of options"

Putting Mercer on the table:
    Swayman in the offseason if negotiations falter
    Nobody else really worth it

Putting 1st+ on the table or equivalent assets
    Retained Gibson
    Saros
    Askarov
    Ullmark
    Montembault
    Logan Thompson if you want to go after him
    Spencer Knight
    Filip Gustafsson

Down a tier
    Lyon
    Nedjelkovic
    Fleury
    Vejmelka
    Lankinen
    Stolarz
    Martin Jones when he hits waivers
    Jake Allen
    Kaapo Kahkonen
    Feb. 13 at 12:45 p.m.
    Banned
    Putting Mercer on the table:
    Swayman in the offseason if negotiations falter
    Nobody else really worth it

Putting 1st+ on the table or equivalent assets
    Retained Gibson
    Saros
    Askarov
    Ullmark
    Montembault
    Logan Thompson if you want to go after him
    Spencer Knight
    Filip Gustafsson

Down a tier
    Lyon
    Nedjelkovic
    Fleury
    Vejmelka
    Lankinen
    Stolarz
    Martin Jones when he hits waivers
    Jake Allen
    Kaapo Kahkonen

I'd say 95% of he names you mentioned would not be available. You're literally just pulling names out of a hat.

I feel like you just have thoughts or ideas and spit stuff out without really looking into situations.
    Feb. 13 at 12:47 p.m.
    I Love J Boqvist
    I'd say 90% of he names you mentioned would not be available. You're literally just pulling names out of a hat.

If you go ahead and pretend no team will answer a call about a surplus goalie, sure.

not actively being shopped =/= not available

And again I'd rather stay with Daws+Vitek+Schmid before putting mercer, let alone mercer+ for Markstrom
    Feb. 13 at 12:48 p.m.
    Quoting: MyTeamsSuck
    Assuming we are re tooling, we will probably pick up players with a higher ceiling than Mercer and are much younger. He’d be taking up a spot that could be used for better players

Where are we acquiring players with a higher ceiling though.

Mercer has 60-70 point 1RW/Upper echelon 2C potential

If you can get Mercer you pull that trigger immediately especially for Marky.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll