Forums/Armchair-GM

Alright Fitzy Its Time

Created by: DevilsFanZack13
Team: 2023-24 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 20, 2024
Published: Feb. 20, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Losing 6-2 against Washington, it's time, get us a goalie. Let me know what you guys think.
Trades
NJD
  1. Markström, Jacob
Additional Details:
Get us 1 of them
CGY
    ????????
    NJD
    1. Saros, Juuse
    Additional Details:
    Get us 1 of them.
    NSH
      ????????????
      Buyouts
      Recapture Fees
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NSH
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the NJD
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      27$83,500,000$84,818,333$422,500$5,540,000-$1,318,333
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the New Jersey Devils
      $8,800,000$8,800,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 8
      $8,000,000$8,000,000
      C
      UFA - 7
      $7,875,000$7,875,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 8
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      LW, RW
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $7,250,000$7,250,000
      C
      UFA - 4
      $2,125,000$2,125,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      LW, C
      UFA - 1
      $3,150,000$3,150,000
      C, LW
      NTC
      UFA - 3
      $1,350,000$1,350,000
      RW
      UFA - 2
      $775,000$775,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 2
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      C
      RFA - 1
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      RW, LW
      RFA - 2
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
      RW, C
      RFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $3,400,000$3,400,000
      LD
      UFA - 5
      $4,400,000$4,400,000
      RD
      UFA - 4
      $850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
      G
      RFA - 1
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      LD/RD, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,850,000$1,850,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
      G
      RFA - 1
      $1,050,000$1,050,000
      LD
      RFA - 2
      $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$3,250,000$3M)
      RD
      RFA - 3
      Logo of the Calgary Flames
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      G
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
      LD/RD
      RFA - 2
      $762,500$762,500
      RD
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Nashville Predators
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $800,000$800,000
      RD
      RFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $3,400,000$3,400,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $9,000,000$9,000,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 5

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Feb. 20 at 9:52 p.m.
      It’s looking like a monopsony.
      So we set the price.
      Holtz for your goalie.

Whoever bites first…gets the deal
      dgibb10 and DevilsFanZack13 liked this.
      Feb. 20 at 10:00 p.m.
      Quoting: NHLfan10506
      It’s looking like a monopsony.
      So we set the price.
      Holtz for your goalie.

Whoever bites first…gets the deal

I'm willing to bet neither team bites at all if you are only offering Holtz. Also if you think you are the only team interested you are off your rocker
      NARC311, Just_A_Guess and AEcho liked this.
      Feb. 20 at 10:03 p.m.
      I Love J Boqvist
      Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
      I'm willing to bet neither team bites at all if you are only offering Holtz. Also if you think you are the only team interested you are off your rocker

Who else is interested? even at 50% LAK can’t afford the cap

Toronto can’t afford the cap and again won’t be in the market regardless with Woll about to be back

Carolina just publicly came out and said that they aren’t in the market for a goalie

Edmonton doesn’t need a goalie with how well skinner is playing and they’re capped out.
      DevilsFanZack13 liked this.
      Feb. 20 at 10:12 p.m.

I see GMs talking about tight caps
      I see GMs selling goalies publicly through media
      I see GMs saying they aren’t buying goalies
      I see GMs saying they are only looking at backups
      I see GMs calling our GM out by name on radio
      I see GMs saying they are happy with their goalies
      I see GMs complaining on air how hard it is to sell a goalie

I see supply going up
      I see demand going down

Tell me what I am missing?
      Feb. 20 at 10:29 p.m.
      Markstrom to NJ starts with Mercer/Holtz + 2024 1st.
      Saros costs at least as much probably more. It'd be a lot more if he had more than just one year left on his contract after this season is over.
      AEcho liked this.
      Feb. 20 at 10:42 p.m.
      Quoting: dgibb10
      Who else is interested? even at 50% LAK can’t afford the cap

Toronto can’t afford the cap and again won’t be in the market regardless with Woll about to be back

Carolina just publicly came out and said that they aren’t in the market for a goalie

Edmonton doesn’t need a goalie with how well skinner is playing and they’re capped out.

Lol the only way New jersey is trading for a goalie is if they are sending Vetek back and even then they want retention too. Why exactly are the Devils the only team allowed to do that? If you think LA wouldn't ship Arvidsson out in a heartbeat to add Saros you are on drugs
      Just_A_Guess and MoxNix liked this.
      Feb. 20 at 10:44 p.m.
      I see GMs talking about tight caps
      I see GMs selling goalies publicly through media
      I see GMs saying they aren’t buying goalies
      I see GMs saying they are only looking at backups
      I see GMs calling our GM out by name on radio
      I see GMs saying they are happy with their goalies
      I see GMs complaining on air how hard it is to sell a goalie

I see supply going up
      I see demand going down

Tell me what I am missing?

Wtf did I just read? How many times do I have to say this. At least as far as Calgary is concerned they are not going to trade Markstrom for less than what they view as an acceptable return. If you are not willing to meet that return then they aren't going to trade him. Teams are not remotely as desperate to move their goaltenders as you are making them out to be.
      Feb. 20 at 10:51 p.m.
      Devils Guy
      Wtf did I just read? How many times do I have to say this. At least as far as Calgary is concerned they are not going to trade Markstrom for less than what they view as an acceptable return. If you are not willing to meet that return then they aren't going to trade him. Teams are not remotely as desperate to move their goaltenders as you are making them out to be.

I think if NJ gets Markstrom, you're gonna be disappointed in the return. Might look something like the Meier trade where it was quantity over quality.
      dgibb10 liked this.
      Feb. 20 at 10:54 p.m.
      Quoting: DevilsFanZack13
      I think if NJ gets Markstrom, you're gonna be disappointed in the return. Might look something like the Meier trade where it was quantity over quality.

I doubt that. You are not going to get Markstrom without at least 1 of Mercer or Holtz included, and probably a top 10-15 protected 1st as well. Again Calgary is more than happy having him mentor Wolf but if the price for goalies is high then Conroy would not be doing his due diligence if he didnt at least look
      Feb. 20 at 11:03 p.m.
      I Love J Boqvist
      Lol the only way New jersey is trading for a goalie is if they are sending Vetek back and even then they want retention too. Why exactly are the Devils the only team allowed to do that? If you think LA wouldn't ship Arvidsson out in a heartbeat to add Saros you are on drugs

I don’t doubt LAK would be in the market for Saros. Who they won’t be in the market for is Markstrom
      Feb. 20 at 11:13 p.m.
      Devils Guy
      I doubt that. You are not going to get Markstrom without at least 1 of Mercer or Holtz included, and probably a top 10-15 protected 1st as well. Again Calgary is more than happy having him mentor Wolf but if the price for goalies is high then Conroy would not be doing his due diligence if he didnt at least look

That's what SJ fans were saying with Meier who was gonna be an RFA last year and had 30+ goals in 50 something games. " It will start with Mercer/Holtz, 1st round pick, top prospect, + more. I could be wrong but I have a feeling the return Flames fans won't be to happy about.
      Feb. 20 at 11:21 p.m.

The market is the market. People hear we have finally put Holtz on the table…some buyers exit, some new sellers enters. No pressure on NJD.

And any goalie minus Tanev, Hanifin, Lindholm, etc will have hard time holding his value. It already appears to be weighing on Markstrom, I don’t know if snapping at reporters is the norm for him. I’d say clock is ticking a bit louder on Calgary side.

Holtz and a pick for Saros or Markstrom retained is a reasonable trade. I’d argue doesn’t need to be 1st…but could be with $$ attached, Vanecek attached, other pieces, whatever. My gripe is with many of the offers that are twice that price…and the assumption that Fitzy has offered Mercer, Casey, 1st…and that Holtz was added for retention (or whatever the ‘insiders’ are peddling lately).
      Feb. 20 at 11:22 p.m.
      Quoting: dgibb10
      I don’t doubt LAK would be in the market for Saros. Who they won’t be in the market for is Markstrom

Based on what? If Calgary is willing to retain they absolutely should be and they definitely have the assets
      Feb. 20 at 11:29 p.m.
      The market is the market. People hear we have finally put Holtz on the table…some buyers exit, some new sellers enters. No pressure on NJD.

And any goalie minus Tanev, Hanifin, Lindholm, etc will have hard time holding his value. It already appears to be weighing on Markstrom, I don’t know if snapping at reporters is the norm for him. I’d say clock is ticking a bit louder on Calgary side.

Holtz and a pick for Saros or Markstrom retained is a reasonable trade. I’d argue doesn’t need to be 1st…but could be with $$ attached, Vanecek attached, other pieces, whatever. My gripe is with many of the offers that are twice that price…and the assumption that Fitzy has offered Mercer, Casey, 1st…and that Holtz was added for retention (or whatever the ‘insiders’ are peddling lately).

Lol ok man. I don't think Calgary is worried at all about Markstrom having a bad game every once in a while. It won't lower his value.

Calgary isn't going to lower their asking price. You want Markstrom it will cost one of Holtz or Mercer + a pick. If Mercer is coming back it may not be a 1st but if it's Holtz it will be. I can't speak for Nashville but afaik they are also in the market for a center specifically so I would imagine they also want Mercer+ instead of Holtz+
      Feb. 20 at 11:44 p.m.
      Lol ok man. I don't think Calgary is worried at all about Markstrom having a bad game every once in a while. It won't lower his value.

Calgary isn't going to lower their asking price. You want Markstrom it will cost one of Holtz or Mercer + a pick. If Mercer is coming back it may not be a 1st but if it's Holtz it will be. I can't speak for Nashville but afaik they are also in the market for a center specifically so I would imagine they also want Mercer+ instead of Holtz+

Mercer and Holtz probably shouldn’t be viewed interchangeably. Mercer is probably closer to the Nemec, Luke tier…and would be priced as young center. He plays everywhere in lineup, PP, PK…coaches, teammates love him, never misses a game. Very valuable to team. So it would be Markstrom+ for Mercer.

Holtz will likely have higher point totals in their primes…but is offense heavy winger. Easier to replace…even possibly from within as Toffoli may extend, Clarke is developing, and eventually Gritsyuk will arrive (which honestly could be the biggest impetus to Holtz’s new availability).

Devils fans cringe when they see other fanbases say, “Mercer or Holtz”
      Feb. 20 at 11:48 p.m.
      Mercer and Holtz probably shouldn’t be viewed interchangeably. Mercer is probably closer to the Nemec, Luke tier…and would be priced as young center. He plays everywhere in lineup, PP, PK…coaches, teammates love him, never misses a game. Very valuable to team. So it would be Markstrom+ for Mercer.

Holtz will likely have higher point totals in their primes…but is offense heavy winger. Easier to replace…even possibly from within as Toffoli may extend, Clarke is developing, and eventually Gritsyuk will arrive (which honestly could be the biggest impetus to Holtz’s new availability).

Devils fans cringe when they see other fanbases say, “Mercer or Holtz”

That's not how that works. Markstrom has more value than Mercer, just because you like Mercer more than Holtz does not mean Calgary would ever consider adding to him. I was also very clear in my last post that Mercer has more value of the 2
      MoxNix liked this.
      Feb. 20 at 11:56 p.m.
      That's not how that works. Markstrom has more value than Mercer, just because you like Mercer more than Holtz does not mean Calgary would ever consider adding to him. I was also very clear in my last post that Mercer has more value of the 2

Markstrom doesn’t get Mercer. It’s just dreaming by Calgary fans.
      Feb. 21 at 12:11 a.m.
      Markstrom doesn’t get Mercer. It’s just dreaming by Calgary fans.

It's not dreaming by Calgary fans at all. The reports are that Calgary is asking for Mercer and NJ is offering Holtz. I'm personally fine with Holtz but I would prefer Mercer
      MoxNix liked this.
      Feb. 21 at 12:24 a.m.
      Devils Guy
      It's not dreaming by Calgary fans at all. The reports are that Calgary is asking for Mercer and NJ is offering Holtz. I'm personally fine with Holtz but I would prefer Mercer

If you guys want Mercer, that would start with Dustin Wolf and go from there. Like NHLfan10506 said, Mercer does a little bit of everything and when he's not putting up points, he brings a solid 2 way game. I wouldn't even include Mercer for Saros. The only young goalie I personally would trade Mercer for in a package is Swayman and Boston isn't moving him.
      Feb. 21 at 12:33 a.m.
      Quoting: DevilsFanZack13
      If you guys want Mercer, that would start with Dustin Wolf and go from there. Like NHLfan10506 said, Mercer does a little bit of everything and when he's not putting up points, he brings a solid 2 way game. I wouldn't even include Mercer for Saros. The only young goalie I personally would trade Mercer for in a package is Swayman and Boston isn't moving him.

That's perfectly fine. Once again Calgary has no issue keeping Markstrom. He hasn't asked for a trade and likely won't. He is the perfect guy to mentor Wolf into a top 5 goalie in the league. But due to the supposed high demand of goalies Conroy was more than willing to listen to offers but set a price
      MoxNix liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll