SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Mar. 10 at 3:24 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Id really like to see Domi get a Nick Paul style contract extension this offseason
aadoyle liked this.
Mar. 10 at 3:25 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Id really like to see Domi get a Nick Paul style contract extension this offseason

Fingers crossed a little cheaper... Say 2.5-2.7 for 8 years?
Mar. 10 at 3:46 p.m.

Seems to be the consensus and I just can't get on board. I don't want him back.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Mar. 10 at 3:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 10 at 4:14 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I think he'd do well with another puck mover and Eddy isn't that...

I'd even think Benoit would work wonders with Lilly as well...

Edmundson's stats show good first pass, puck carrying, and high danger assists. This is the guy to pair with Liligren rn and I think it will work out fine
Mar. 10 at 3:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Fingers crossed a little cheaper... Say 2.5-2.7 for 8 years?

He will go no and leave
Mar. 10 at 3:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 10 at 4:14 p.m.

Been saying stound 3.5m x 5-7 years

Defensively hes not there. But playmaking and occasional offense along with snot and heart hes there

When JT leaves in FA this is the guy to be the 2c till we target our man in 2026
Mar. 10 at 3:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 10 at 4:18 p.m.
Quoting: fangm
It's not silly. If you are hired of the GM of a team with a single glaring weakness and you head into the playoffs the following year and that weakness is even bigger than when you took over the team then you definitely failed.

How much better would this team be with Schenn on the right side? That alone would significantly improve the backend even if he played 3RD. Tre/Shanny ****ed that up.

Its silly. Sorry the overreactions are becoming more and more frequent

There was no RD available this TDL that would have helped more than what was brought. Savard, Tanev or Walker for a 1st **** no. Dumba, Peeke, EJ, Stetcher, Miller, Ruhwedel.

Or heck the guy who wasnt moved, Carrier would have been such a bad add as if anyone thought a 174 pound under 6 foot Dman was gonna help us oh boy they didnt learn from VGK

Schenn's sample size with Rielly is only based on a few playoff games thats it. Giving him 2.75m for a 11 game playoff sample would have been stupid.

Brad went out got a guy whose been to the SCF twice (won a cup to) and whose big and clears the front of the net along with a RD who Rielly has worked well with in the past and has worked out well so far when reunited

Dont always need the flashy toy to win it al. The additions were fine its now up to the big 4 to do their thing.
Mar. 10 at 4:12 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Seems to be the consensus and I just can't get on board. I don't want him back.

🤞he wants to go back to CHI (hopefully they offer him a big big deal)
Mar. 10 at 6:07 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
Edmundson's stats show good first pass, puck carrying, and high danger assists. This is the guy to pair with Liligren rn and I think it will work out fine

And then, you watch him play and you see the opposite

He will go no and leave

That's why I said fingers crossed...
Mar. 10 at 6:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
And then, you watch him play and you see the opposite

That's why I said fingers crossed...

In general when u look at Edmunson's stats he does well with puck moving Dman

Liligren is that guy and through initial results the pairing looked fine. Liligren struggled but he a mental reset be in order.

If u were to put him with Gio, Brodie, pairing would fail.
Mar. 10 at 6:36 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
In general when u look at Edmunson's stats he does well with puck moving Dman

Liligren is that guy and through initial results the pairing looked fine. Liligren struggled but he a mental reset be in order.

If u were to put him with Gio, Brodie, pairing would fail.

He was fantastic with Brodie during the 7 game win streak span though... Then he got sick and they ahem't gone back to Brodie-Lilly
Mar. 10 at 6:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 10 at 6:43 p.m.
He was fantastic with Brodie during the 7 game win streak span though... Then he got sick and they ahem't gone back to Brodie-Lilly

And then against BOS who were gonna probs face in the playoffs they got exposed and results were poor.

Its a pairing that I dont see viable in a matchup against FLA or BOS. Had its fun but like Rielly-Brodie time to move on
Mar. 11 at 12:29 a.m.
Amirov Forever
We're still a long way from the offseason, but I'd really like to see the Leafs target guys like Will Carrier and Warren Foegele. Maybe if Mantha comes in at the right price he could be a target. Getting feisty yet skilled cheap forwards will be very important considering most of our cap will be going towards the blue line.

Im fully expecting the Leafs to push hard for Montour if he hits the open market (which seems very likely), and also to be in on guys like DeMelo, Edmundson, and Desharnais. As much as I want Roy, I cant see him being a guy Treliving winds up targeting. You can't tell me this blue line doesnt have Treliving written all over it

Rielly - DeMelo
McCabe - Montour
Edmundson - Desharnais
Mar. 11 at 1:16 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
We're still a long way from the offseason, but I'd really like to see the Leafs target guys like Will Carrier and Warren Foegele. Maybe if Mantha comes in at the right price he could be a target. Getting feisty yet skilled cheap forwards will be very important considering most of our cap will be going towards the blue line.

Im fully expecting the Leafs to push hard for Montour if he hits the open market (which seems very likely), and also to be in on guys like DeMelo, Edmundson, and Desharnais. As much as I want Roy, I cant see him being a guy Treliving winds up targeting. You can't tell me this blue line doesnt have Treliving written all over it

Rielly - DeMelo
McCabe - Montour
Edmundson - Desharnais

Where be the Ben of oit

Also last time we paired McCabe with a offensive Dman it didnt go well

Would rather

Rielly-Demelo
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Liligren

U then have a shutdown duo of McCabe-Roy

A nice third pair of Benoit-Liligren

And Demelo would probs be the best partner Rielly has ever had
Mar. 11 at 1:22 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Where be the Ben of oit

Also last time we paired McCabe with a offensive Dman it didnt go well

Would rather

Rielly-Demelo
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Liligren

U then have a shutdown duo of McCabe-Roy

A nice third pair of Benoit-Liligren

And Demelo would probs be the best partner Rielly has ever had

Untitled.jpg

Vrana = rebound candidate and RJ = nice cheap 4th line option to explore
Mar. 11 at 1:51 a.m.
Quoting: fangm
The fact that we are having this debate post deadline about sitting our #1 RHD means Tre failed.

If he has one job since he was hired 10 months ago it was to find a RHD, now we are talking about starting the playoffs with Boosh are our only RHD.

I see why you like him so much...

Well...Treliving isn't the only guilty one as far as RD goes. Dubas was here for 6 years and how much did he improve RD?

I'm not defending Treliving, just more thinking that Shanahan was here while Dubas was GM and is still here and the same problems exist as they did for 6 years. 🤷‍♂️
Mar. 11 at 2:04 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
Well...Treliving isn't the only guilty one as far as RD goes. Dubas was here for 6 years and how much did he improve RD?

I'm not defending Treliving, just more thinking that Shanahan was here while Dubas was GM and is still here and the same problems exist as they did for 6 years. 🤷‍♂️

In general nobody could have predicted a Brodie fall off that bad, Liligren continuing to be inconsistent, Klingberg getting hurt, etc

McCabe has been the best surprise on his offside

If they can get Liligren to how he was a month ago they set. But for some reason he randomly gets in a rut and it makes 0 sense. But he always manages to rebound and I believe

Edmundson-Liligren will be fine
oneX liked this.
Mar. 11 at 8:10 a.m.
In general nobody could have predicted a Brodie fall off that bad, Liligren continuing to be inconsistent, Klingberg getting hurt, etc

McCabe has been the best surprise on his offside

If they can get Liligren to how he was a month ago they set. But for some reason he randomly gets in a rut and it makes 0 sense. But he always manages to rebound and I believe

Edmundson-Liligren will be fine

But regardless of Brodie falling off or not, the glaring need for a top RD was an issue for 6 damn years. Imagine what Rielly could have done with one on this roster either as his partner or on another pair.

I don't understand how people don't see RD as an issue, especially now nevermind wasting 6 years not addressing it.
Mar. 11 at 9:28 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: oneX
But regardless of Brodie falling off or not, the glaring need for a top RD was an issue for 6 damn years. Imagine what Rielly could have done with one on this roster either as his partner or on another pair.

I don't understand how people don't see RD as an issue, especially now nevermind wasting 6 years not addressing it.

The RD you wanted often wasnt available or costs an insane amount.

Dubas did a lot of good work on the back end, both in development (holl in particular) and also trading like Muzzin, who'd be our best D today if the NHL actually cared about not needlessly hurting players
aadoyle, Saskleaf and oneX liked this.
Mar. 11 at 10:34 a.m.
I think everyone acknowledges the shortcomings when it comes to top 4 RHD. Brodie has been one of those spots but took a big step back this year. Previously, there hasn't been a whole lot of wiggle room to add another big d-man that is also a right shot.

I also don't think it's fair to assume that, because Tre didn't address a top 4 RHD at this deadline that it isn't an issue for him that he wants to fix. We know he's been in the D market since the moment he got here.

They tried to re-sign Schenn but it didn't work out
He tried to sign Gudas
Tried to trade for Zadorov and Tanev

My estimation is that he simply wasn't willing to give up the few assets we have to make a more substantial acquisition this year. I'd like to assume he just didn't want to pay the prices and is hoping to do the bulk of his remodeling this off-season.

I still hold that there wasn't anything that was traded at this deadline that would have been worth the price paid AND would have made a significant impact on a playoff run. I'd like to hope Tre was just as frustrated as we were to not be able to add to that position. Whether or not he's capable of actually landing the right player(s) remains to be seen....but I'm not going to fuss about it not happening inside of his first year.
Mar. 11 at 10:41 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Juice
I think everyone acknowledges the shortcomings when it comes to top 4 RHD. Brodie has been one of those spots but took a big step back this year. Previously, there hasn't been a whole lot of wiggle room to add another big d-man that is also a right shot.

I also don't think it's fair to assume that, because Tre didn't address a top 4 RHD at this deadline that it isn't an issue for him that he wants to fix. We know he's been in the D market since the moment he got here.

He tried to sign Gudas

My estimation is that he simply wasn't willing to give up the few assets we have to make a more substantial acquisition this year. I'd like to assume he just didn't want to pay the prices and is hoping to do the bulk of his remodeling this off-season.

I still hold that there wasn't anything that was traded at this deadline that would have been worth the price paid AND would have made a significant impact on a playoff run. I'd like to hope Tre was just as frustrated as we were to not be able to add to that position. Whether or not he's capable of actually landing the right player(s) remains to be seen....but I'm not going to fuss about it not happening inside of his first year.

This is the offseason where you are going to see the blue line get massively retooled. So many good defenseman that fit with the Leafs like Montour, Roy, Walker, DeMelo, Pesce, Hakanpaa, Desharnais, etc.

Expecting Brad to fix our blue line within a single season of taking over is just ridiculous. Look at how long it took Dubas to rid the roster of Lou and finally get his guys. Curious to see what next seasons roster looks like
Juice and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 11 at 10:57 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Unless Gio is going to LTIR, the recall of Nick Robertson likely signals that someone is going on waivers at 2pm today

Feels like Gregor will be the guy, Dewar is just him but better
Mar. 11 at 1:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 11 at 3:07 p.m.
Quoting: Juice

He tried to sign Gudas

Heck Brad also for forward before Bertuzzi + Domi tried to get ROR back. Honestly why Dubas didnt push for an extension with him after giving all that up was mind boggling

Like Muzzin 1.5 years left understandable but after Foligno kind of surprised it wasnt like okay ROR we gave a lot for yah what u want to stay here 5m? You dont want to be behind JT we will shift him to wing for you

But going back to D Brad tried for a really good trade back in NOV but CGY didnt bite . Instead they rather lose on every deal but two of them.

This summer we still have our 1st and this FA is loaded with good Dman

Dillon, Pesce, Demelo, Roy, Hanifin (if not extended), Skjei, etc
Mar. 11 at 6:03 p.m.
McMann Season
With Robertson being an Emergency Loan call up, I believe they still have 3 non - emergency call ups left? (I think Knies took one after being sent down and called up after the TDL for Calder cup reasons but not 100% sure on timing)
Mar. 11 at 6:05 p.m.
McMann Season

I think 3.15-3.25 x7 would be perfect for Domi tbh, I’d love to bring him back long term. Although for insurance maybe have it all in Salary and no signing bonuses (except like first year)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll