$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$900,000$900,000
RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$813,333$813,333 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
G
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 28 at 10:43 a.m.
True Reverse Retro
Make it a 2nd and Dallas accepts. Even with retention, Tanev is worth a 2nd. He'll get an additional piece like Dellandrea thrown in because it's the deadline, but if a team was willing to pay a 1st for him, he would have been traded already.
EvanW711 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 10:44 a.m.
Devils deal for Markstrom was Holtz for Markstrom with TBD retention. So if you add to Holtz…gotta retain Markstrom. And if it’s a 1st…probably means another piece is coming to NJ.
Feb. 28 at 11:02 a.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Devils deal for Markstrom was Holtz for Markstrom with TBD retention. So if you add to Holtz…gotta retain Markstrom. And if it’s a 1st…probably means another piece is coming to NJ.

Nothing I've seen stated the deal was specially a 1 for 1, please link a source for that if there is cause I havent found it. I think both flames and devils fans are making assumptions about what the deal was based off their own biased values of Markstron and Holtz. I'd think that Conroy wouldn't trade our best player for just one guy whos only getting 11:38 TOI on a struggling team. Devils fans disagree. We'll probably never know unless they do actually end up making the deal

"The Devils were reportedly ready to at least make Swedish sniper Alexander Holtz as part of the transaction." https://newjerseyhockeynow.com/2024/02/13/jacob-markstrom-waived-to-join-devils-tom-fitzgerald-flames/
Feb. 28 at 11:11 a.m.
I hope they value players more than picks. If they have to get picks that are in the 2025/2026/2027 draft to up the value of the prospects they're getting then fine. Those 1st round picks down the road become trade chips if the Flames are competitive or draft picks if they're not.
Feb. 28 at 11:36 a.m.
Quoting: EvanW711
Nothing I've seen stated the deal was specially a 1 for 1, please link a source for that if there is cause I havent found it. I think both flames and devils fans are making assumptions about what the deal was based off their own biased values of Markstron and Holtz. I'd think that Conroy wouldn't trade our best player for just one guy whos only getting 11:38 TOI on a struggling team. Devils fans disagree. We'll probably never know unless they do actually end up making the deal

"The Devils were reportedly ready to at least make Swedish sniper Alexander Holtz as part of the transaction." https://newjerseyhockeynow.com/2024/02/13/jacob-markstrom-waived-to-join-devils-tom-fitzgerald-flames/

Here is what I took from all these reports:
1. The package was agreed to
2. It was Holtz for Markstrom
3. Unknown compensation for unknown retention

It’s unclear if Holtz was offered for a retained Markstrom…or if they were adding (likely a couple of mid picks, to cover cost of retention) it’s been reported both ways. So people have reported as Holtz+ (the “+” being parts for retention).

My take…..

I believe Fitzy wanted package deal, was willing to put Holtz on table to get both…figuring he can overpay on Markstrom and make it make up on Hanifin. Conroy said we will take the first half for Markstrom, but have to wait for market to mature on Hanifin. So now we wait…if no one beats NJD offer on Hanifin piece, both are sent to NJD. If a team beats NJD offer on Hanifin piece, that team gets Hanifin and Markstrom isn’t traded.

Would also explain how Vanecek was once in deal, later taken out…he could have been in larger package for both guys…but not in smaller one-for-one deal for Markstrom.

But like you said…who knows anything really?

Some links below

Most recent

The New Jersey Devils are expected to circle back with the Calgary Flames and jump back into those Jacob Markstrom discussions. Terms of a trade were initially agreed upon by both General Managers, I’m told, but something broke down at the last minute – I suspect Flames ownership was not interested in paying part of Markstrom’s contract to have him play elsewhere.

As we first reported at the start of the month, Markstrom is willing to sign off on a trade to the Devils. It’s now up to Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald and Flames GM Craig Conroy to agree on revised terms.

Separate sources confirmed the Devils would send forward Alexander Holtz back in a trade with between $2 million and $3 million of Markstrom’s of annual cap hit retained.”

The Atheltic

“LeBrun wrote recently that the two teams had disagreed over salary retention and its associated costs for a potential Markström deal, but for a Devils team that has some big tickets already on the books, plus other young players they’ll need to pay in the coming years, it’s an obstacle worth navigating — even if it means paying a significant price.

And make no mistake, this price, which features Holtz and a second-rounder would be significant. But with the right amount of retention (we settled on 25 percent, taking Markström’s cap hit down to $4.5 million) that price is worth paying.“
Feb. 28 at 11:43 a.m.

Also, beware of James Nichols….he has been wrong often. Said we were shopping Michael McLeod reseller in season when we were not and he had to retract the next day. When we traded for Meier, he was very confident in saying, “we know the package will include Holtz, 1st…Devils now deciding if they are adding Mercer or other pieces”. In truth, Fitzy immediate removed Mercer from the conversation early on, so he was never included in the ask. And per Pierre LeBrun and the San Jose GM, when he asked for Holtz, Fitzy said, “okay on Holtz….but if Holtz, only Holtz” (meaning one-for-one).
dgibb10 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 12:25 p.m.
Why does a third team need to take salary in the Tanev deal? You’ve got 9.5 million in cap space. Def need to take a contract like Faksa back if you want that first round pick
Feb. 28 at 12:26 p.m.

My take…..

I believe Fitzy wanted package deal, was willing to put Holtz on table to get both…figuring he can overpay on Markstrom and make it make up on Hanifin. Conroy said we will take the first half for Markstrom, but have to wait for market to mature on Hanifin. So now we wait…if no one beats NJD offer on Hanifin piece, both are sent to NJD. If a team beats NJD offer on Hanifin piece, that team gets Hanifin and Markstrom isn’t traded.

I'd agree something like this is probably what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if a package like Holtz, 1st + mid picks and/or prospects for hanafin, retained markstrom is what ends up happening.

I appreciate the links, I'd still argue the first doesn't specify whether or not it was 1 for 1. and the second is referencing their own mock trade, not a source to what the reported deal was.
It mightve been markstorm = holtz straight up but no sources have actually stated the 1 for 1 as fact
Feb. 28 at 12:38 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I'd agree something like this is probably what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if a package like Holtz, 1st + mid picks and/or prospects for hanafin, retained markstrom is what ends up happening.

I appreciate the links, I'd still argue the first doesn't specify whether or not it was 1 for 1. and the second is referencing their own mock trade, not a source to what the reported deal was.
It mightve been markstorm = holtz straight up but no sources have actually stated the 1 for 1 as fact

Based on what we know about historical goalie values, the devils view of holtz based on Meier trade negotiations, and the reporting out there, the logic simply doesn’t suggest anything other than Holtz for Markstrom. I believe Markstrom would have some small retention on his own for just holtz, and then more picks to pay for the rest of the retention. Although that is just speculation on my part based on the evidence.

I would be shocked if it was holtz+anything meaningful for an unretained markstrom
Feb. 28 at 2:14 p.m.

The Pagnotta run-down I think is the most clear.

"Separate sources confirmed the Devils would send forward Alexander Holtz back in a trade with between $2 million and $3 million of Markstrom’s of annual cap hit retained"

I am sure there are other lesser pieces involved, but if there was a 1st round pick....or a Dawson Mercer....or a Famous Seamus Casey...or even a Kevin Bahl...it would have likely said as such. But they were omitted since those pieces weren't included (or may be tied to non-agreed to portions of the deal).
dgibb10 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 4:19 p.m.
The Pagnotta run-down I think is the most clear.

"Separate sources confirmed the Devils would send forward Alexander Holtz back in a trade with between $2 million and $3 million of Markstrom’s of annual cap hit retained"

I am sure there are other lesser pieces involved, but if there was a 1st round pick....or a Dawson Mercer....or a Famous Seamus Casey...or even a Kevin Bahl...it would have likely said as such. But they were omitted since those pieces weren't included (or may be tied to non-agreed to portions of the deal).

I’m not saying an unretained markstrom would’ve fetched any of those pieces in addition to holtz. But something like a 3rd and holtz is a big difference from a 1 for 1, even if an article would omit the 3rd. It’s possible something like that could’ve been the agreed upon portion of the trade, but with retention maybe Connie was asking to turn that 3rd into a piece like a 1st or bahl or Casey. Mercer was probably never on the table. I don’t deny Im biased and could be wrong. flames probably higher on holtz than I am.

Either way I’m rooting for devils to get back to form and make a push for playoffs, it only benefits Calgary for the devils to be buyers at DL even if it’s just for hanafin. Hopefully y’all can get a W Streak going
NHLfan10506 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll