Forums/Armchair-GM

Where to go now

Created by: flyersflock
Team: 2024-25 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 10, 2024
Published: Mar. 10, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
It's funny. Maybe it was just me, but I felt as though the Sabres were good goaltending away from being contenders. Per MoneyPuck, their goals saved above expected this season is far and away the best it has been since 2016-17 (7.0). So they got the goaltending.

Can someone tell me what happened? Without looking at the numbers, I know the offense regressed heavily. I'm fairly certain they ranked fourth in goals for last season, aided by a great power play. This season I'm also fairly certain it's toward the bottom. Thompson regressed. Pretty much everyone did. What needs to change?

I was a big fan of the Byram addition. But I was also a big fan of the Mittelstadt addition for Colorado. It is the perfect win-win deal at this time. Byram might have been struggling, but man, that's exactly what Buffalo needs.

What do you do this offseason? Their average age is under 24 (saw this on Twitter), so do you need to get older? Is that the solution? Or do you just rely on Thompson and Cozens to bounce back? Is the solution more veterans who are actually good at hockey (sorry, Erik Johnson)? Because on paper they look strong, especially on defense. They have dynamic forwards. Watching them, at least when they played early in the season, felt like a chore. Are they a superstar away? Is that it?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
2$3,500,000
3$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
1$1,000,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$80,024,403$0$2,500,000$7,675,597
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$7,142,857$7,142,857
C
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$650,000$650K)
LW
RFA - 2
$7,100,000$7,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$918,333$918,333
C, LW
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
RFA
$855,833$855,833
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,850,000$3,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 8
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
RFA
$4,285,714$4,285,714
LD
UFA - 6
$8,350,000$8,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
G
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
RW
RFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 10 at 4:56 p.m.
Thompson has a lower body injury, wrist injury, and a broken thumb i think. They didnt shut him down. Tuch separated his shoulder in camp. They didnt shut him down. Skinner is definitely concussed, its like his 8th one. Then Cozens broke his face fighting hathaway, and then got in a fight with a staircase (not kidding look up the video). There's your shooting regression explained.

The PP is the coaches fault

They'll trade one of Samuelsson or Jokiharju for someone like Cates, Kotkaniemi, Nic Roy etc. Basically a really fast 3C who can chip and chase (aka beat the trap). At least one of the first rounders in the minors will make the jump to the NHL team too. If I were handicapping it id say:

1. Savoie
2. Kulich
3. Rosen

Levi becomes back up, that's the team for next year.
littlejerryseinfeld, sabres89, BUFF742 and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 10 at 5:28 p.m.
There a bunch of Perimeter Pu$$ies, talented but Soft. And they don't have the players needed to Compliment that style. They need a few Bangers who can Work the boards and go to the Net. Get a few guys not afraid to throw there weight and decent hands(Crouse, Trenin) and let them clean up in front. Put Crouse in front on our PP and watch how many rebounds he scoops. Even if they made the playoffs, they are not built for it.
Mar. 10 at 5:33 p.m.
My take- the Sabres played pond hockey, high event hockey last year, scoring very well off the rush, and leaving their goalies hung out to dry with high danger chances against. Most coaches hate this kind of hockey, granato allowed this to build confidence for his young offensive players. This year, especially after the first of the year, the Sabres have settled into a defensive system, not getting the same rush chances, and giving upl a chance to play with confidence. Unfortunately the Sabres frequently aren't getting rush chances and are relying on scoring 5v5 with the other team already set up, and the Sabres don't have enough guys going to the net, screening the goalie and redirecting shots/setting up for rebounds. Occasionally they do go to the net, but as a whole, they are a soft group that gravitates to the perimeter. The pp was impressive last year, with Thompson setting up in the ovechkin office, but teams and goalies have caught on, and the Sabres have done a poor job adjusting, still forcing the puck to Thompson. Thompson, tuch, and cozens have all missed time with injuries, and I think all came back well before they were ready. They need to get healthy, they need to fix the pp, and personally I think they need a few more guys willing to go to the ugly areas, but my guess, because it's the path of least resistance, is the young, high end prospects will graduate to the big club, and we will see more of the same. If we lose rush chances, somebody has to competently go to the net. Assistant coach Matt Ellis has been removed from his pp duties, granato took over, we will see if the coach has some answers over the last 20 games.
BUFF742, BUFF36 and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Mar. 10 at 5:34 p.m.
Quoting: BUFF36
There a bunch of Perimeter Pu$$ies, talented but Soft. And they don't have the players needed to Compliment that style. They need a few Bangers who can Work the boards and go to the Net. Get a few guys not afraid to throw there weight and decent hands(Crouse, Trenin) and let them clean up in front. Put Crouse in front on our PP and watch how many rebounds he scoops. Even if they made the playoffs, they are not built for it.

Dammit. Beat me to it. Jinx.

Lol, no, they aren't remotely built for the playoffs lmfao.
BUFF742 and BUFF36 liked this.
Mar. 10 at 5:36 p.m.

oh good we're back in 1994. If were gunna sink the Sabres back to this timeline can I at least buy some microsoft shares?
Mar. 10 at 5:41 p.m.
Quoting: Stadel
oh good we're back in 1994. If were gunna sink the Sabres back to this timeline can I at least buy some microsoft shares?

What are you talking about, 1 guy that would be tied for goal lead on are tean or another that scored 17 2 years ago. Not talking Knuckle Draggers. Talking players that can still add to the Team. Stupid remark
sabres89 liked this.
Mar. 10 at 5:42 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
The Middlestadt trade was dumb imo.
Mar. 10 at 5:42 p.m.
What are you talking about, 1 guy that would be tied for goal lead on are tean or another that scored 17 2 years ago. Not talking Knuckle Draggers. Talking players that can still add to the Team. Stupid remark

The team can't generate any speed or chances off the rush and the solution is to get bangers who work the boards? If theyre going to do that they may as well tear it down and start over. The core of this team is what it is. They do their best work in a high speed chaotic environment. Theyre not suddenly going to become great cycle players just cause they add Trenin or Crouse.
BUFF36 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 10 at 5:44 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
The Middlestadt trade was dumb imo.

that trade is like 10 minutes old and has nothing to do with what went wrong.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 10 at 5:48 p.m.
The team can't generate any speed or chances off the rush and the solution is to get bangers who work the boards? If theyre going to do that they may as well tear it down and start over. The core of this team is what it is. They do their best work in a high speed chaotic environment. Theyre not suddenly going to become great cycle players just cause they add Trenin or Crouse.

Both those guys can skate for there Size, and the Sabres get plenty chances of the rush, they just don't bury them. And they should be using there Speed to put puck pressure on any player that touches the puck. Sabres cause chaos when they get in quick on other Teams D, worked to a tee in the 3rd against Tampa. You can't have all soft perimeter players on your Team, it just won't work. There PP **** the bed for about a year because they don't have a Net front presence.
MisstheWhalers and sabres89 liked this.
Mar. 10 at 6:01 p.m.
Both those guys can skate for there Size, and the Sabres get plenty chances of the rush, they just don't bury them. And they should be using there Speed to put puck pressure on any player that touches the puck. Sabres cause chaos when they get in quick on other Teams D, worked to a tee in the 3rd against Tampa. You can't have all soft perimeter players on your Team, it just won't work. There PP **** the bed for about a year because they don't have a Net front presence.

This isnt remotely true.

This is as of the midway mark of the season. We're in the bottom third. And the chances per game have only gotten lower since this date

mRMdO5E.png
BUFF36 liked this.
Mar. 10 at 6:15 p.m.
This isnt remotely true.

This is as of the midway mark of the season. We're in the bottom third. And the chances per game have only gotten lower since this date

mRMdO5E.png

Good chart! I didn't think it was that bad. But I still think that will adjust as they grow into the system. I don't know if they change Coaches. But the Sabres need to adapt and be able to play multiple ways. They can't rely on just being a rush team.
Stadel liked this.
Mar. 10 at 6:17 p.m.
Good chart! I didn't think it was that bad. But I still think that will adjust as they grow into the system. I don't know if they change Coaches. But the Sabres need to adapt and be able to play multiple ways. They can't rely on just being a rush team.

it cant be the only way they generate offense yes, but its going to be the primary way. If theyve learned anything from this year, it's that their efforts are better spent learning to beat the trap then becoming a trap team.
BUFF36 liked this.
Mar. 10 at 6:27 p.m.
it cant be the only way they generate offense yes, but its going to be the primary way. If theyve learned anything from this year, it's that their efforts are better spent learning to beat the trap then becoming a trap team.

And having either Crouse or Trenin really wouldn't hinder that, because there both good skaters for there size.
MisstheWhalers and sabres89 liked this.
Mar. 10 at 6:36 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
that trade is like 10 minutes old and has nothing to do with what went wrong.

I know it has nothing to do with what went wrong, was still the wrong move to make imo.
BUFF36 liked this.
Mar. 10 at 6:41 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
I know it has nothing to do with what went wrong, was still the wrong move to make imo.

As long as he stays healthy, talent wise it's not a bad move. Was surprised they didn't get a bit more.
gretzkyghosts liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll