Forums/Armchair-GM

Something needs to change

Created by: rednwhite
Team: 2024-25 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 15, 2024
Published: Mar. 15, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This team is falling into no man's land. Not a bottom feeder but not a cup contender. We are maxed to the cap and have a roster full of aging veterans. It's time to play the young guys and go after a few high end guys that we can't fill with our prospect pool. I would be fine if the team was struggling while young guys are getting reps but watching vets who clearly don't care is infuriating. Yzerman has 2 years imo to get this team on track or it's time to consider some changes at the top.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
8$8,000,000
8$7,800,000
2$2,500,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
Trades
DET
    Future considerations. Doesn't have to be San Jose. Any team, we will give up to a 4th to get rid of him.
    SJS
    1. Petry, Jeff
    2. 2025 5th round pick (DET)
    BOS
    1. Lyon, Alex
    2. Wallinder, William
    3. 2025 2nd round pick (DET)
    4. 2026 3rd round pick (DET)
    NJD
    1. Berggren, Jonatan
    2. 2024 3rd round pick (DET)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$87,500,000$86,251,390$0$2,700,000$1,248,610
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 4
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NTC
    UFA - 7
    $7,800,000$7,800,000
    RW, LW
    RFA
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,100,000$5,100,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
    C
    RFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA
    $905,833$905,833
    LW
    RFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C
    RFA
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    C, LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RD
    RFA
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $950,000$950,000
    RD
    RFA
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 15 at 10:13 a.m.
    Quoting: PuzzledActuary
    The levels of hypocrisy and ignorance in this post is staggering...

Hypocrisy? Wtf?
    Mar. 15 at 10:14 a.m.
    They. Are. In. The. Middle. Of. A. Rebuild.

rebuilding. teams. usually. play. a.couple. prospects. in. order. to. develop. them. for. when. the. team. is. ready. to. compete.

instead your lord and saviour Yzerman blocked all the kids with Petry and Holl and Fischer and useless players that do NOTHING for a rebuild
    rednwhite, squashmaple and Tbrew liked this.
    Mar. 15 at 10:14 a.m.
    They. Are. In. The. Middle. Of. A. Rebuild.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall here. You can yell they are rebuilding all you want but play some rookies if you are rebuilding or tank for better picks.
    zadinaveleno and Tbrew liked this.
    Mar. 15 at 10:15 a.m.
    Quoting: zadinaveleno
    rebuilding. teams. usually. play. a.couple. prospects. in. order. to. develop. them. for. when. the. team. is. ready. to. compete.

instead your lord and saviour Yzerman blocked all the kids with Petry and Holl and Fischer and useless players that do NOTHING for a rebuild

They're all playing. Every single one of them.

Who's playing instead of Petry Holl and Fischer (Holl never plays btw, lol)?
    Mar. 15 at 10:16 a.m.
    Quoting: rednwhite
    I feel like I'm talking to a wall here. You can yell they are rebuilding all you want but play some rookies if you are rebuilding or tank for better picks.

The only rookie who's even marginally ready is Edvinsson.

I wouldn't expect you to know that though. You just like to whine bc you ain't that bright.

THEY ARE TWO POINTS OUT OF PLAYOFFS LOLOLOL
    Mar. 15 at 10:25 a.m.
    They're all playing. Every single one of them.

Who's playing instead of Petry Holl and Fischer (Holl never plays btw, lol)?

you really needed me to specify "currently playing on the roster"...

#YZERPLANNNNN

rebuilds take time, they should be ready to compete in about 11 more years
    Mar. 15 at 10:27 a.m.
    you really needed me to specify "currently playing on the roster"...

#YZERPLANNNNN

rebuilds take time, they should be ready to compete in about 11 more years

First of all, Yzerman has been GM for 4 years. Rebuilds take WAY longer than that, especially longer when you start with the horrendous roster and pipeline Holland left him with. In those 4 years he's taken this team from THE WORST roster in the league to a very competitive one, with a really promising prospect pipeline.

Second, none of them are ready to be on the roster. Any mental midget can see that.

Third, as someone with Zadina in their username, that really tells me all I need to know about you and your ability to judge talent.
    Mar. 15 at 10:29 a.m.
    First of all, Yzerman has been GM for 4 years. Rebuilds take WAY longer than that, especially longer when you start with the horrendous roster and pipeline Holland left him with.

Second, none of them are ready to be on the roster. Any mental midget can see that.

Third, as someone with Zadina in their username, that really tells me all I need to know about you and your ability to judge talent.

5 years..push those goalposts though!

youre telling me the team would be worse right now if Kasper or Mazur or Edvinsson or Aljo were playing...?

As for Zadine, yeah that was a flop, but am I the person who made the selection, or did I just make a random username after he got drafted?
    Mar. 15 at 10:30 a.m.
    5 years..push those goalposts though!

youre telling me the team would be worse right now if Kasper or Mazur or Edvinsson or Aljo were plying...?

As for Zadine, yeah that was a flop, but am I the person who made the selection, or did I just make a random username after he got drafted?

You made the selection, and scouted him!
    zadinaveleno liked this.
    Mar. 15 at 10:32 a.m.
    4 full years, this is year 5, you absolute waste of time and space.

Yzerman was hired on April 19th, 2019...hes had 5 seasons managing the team..math isnt your strong point, just like hockey analysis isnt either...try knitting?
    Mar. 15 at 10:34 a.m.
    "youre telling me the team would be worse right now if Kasper or Mazur or Edvinsson or Aljo were playing...?"

lol...holy sh*t
    Mar. 15 at 10:35 a.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    Quoting: squashmaple
    As an outsider, I have found a lot of Yzerman's moves the past two years to be puzzling. Fact is you're leaving the rebuild with maybe two genuinely elite talents, and they're both defensemen (and one of them is apparently being left in the AHL forever). To make up for that, he's loaded up the roster with middling vets with multiple years on their contracts. You're built to be the 2016-20 Blue Jackets, congrats.

Also, Michigan native Jeff Petry's NMC says absolutely not to that trade.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it puzzling, but I firmly believe signing lengthy UFA contracts should only be done by contenders and some of the ones Yzerman has done make zero sense to me. He's been great with building great futures, not sure why he is dipping into the UFA pool with risky contracts. That said, I see some fans also wanting to target aging UFA vets. I still believe trying to expedite a rebuild is almost a guaranteed way to fail a rebuild.
    Mar. 15 at 10:36 a.m.
    "youre telling me the team would be worse right now if Kasper or Mazur or Edvinsson or Aljo were playing...?"

lol...holy sh*t

YZERPLANNN

you dont pay attention to GR eh?
    Mar. 15 at 10:39 a.m.
    That quote tells me you don't watch a single game. I've watched about 90% of the games this year, was at the **** show of a game last night as well. Copp, fabbri, perron,maata, holl, petry are all a waste of space. Their production could have been replaced by prospects this year but instead we get to watch guys who are useless and won't be around for the good years. Chiarot has been effective but is still overpaid for what he brings to the table.

Raymond and Seider will get bridge deals cus they stink
    Mar. 15 at 10:43 a.m.
    Lucas Raymond is - 22 so maybe they should send him to GR with all the other awful defensive players like Kane
    Mar. 15 at 10:49 a.m.
    Quoting: FinishyourchecksGM
    Lucas Raymond is - 22 so maybe they should send him to GR with all the other awful defensive players like Kane

a statement like this would be the exact statement someone who doesn't actually watch the games would say
    Mar. 15 at 10:53 a.m.
    I thought jersey might have to add to get it done. So fat Berggren has been better then Holtz. Figured both guys could use a fresh start. I threw in the 3rd because of the potential of Holtz.

Holtz is 2 years younger and having nearly the same season Berggren had last year with less opportunity all while possessing an elite trait which Berggren lacks.
    Mar. 15 at 11:02 a.m.
    a statement like this would be the exact statement someone who doesn't actually watch the games would say

Your username speaks for itself
    Mar. 15 at 11:06 a.m.
    Quoting: squashmaple
    As an outsider, I have found a lot of Yzerman's moves the past two years to be puzzling. Fact is you're leaving the rebuild with maybe two genuinely elite talents, and they're both defensemen (and one of them is apparently being left in the AHL forever). To make up for that, he's loaded up the roster with middling vets with multiple years on their contracts. You're built to be the 2016-20 Blue Jackets, congrats.

Also, Michigan native Jeff Petry's NMC says absolutely not to that trade.

Alot of the leaving with only two elite talents is to do with the lottery luck and the talent in the drafts. We scored with getting Seider in 2019. Got screwed by moving back 3 spots in 2020, Raymond is still one of the best players in that draft but I'm pretty sure he has Stutzle at #1, he scouted him multiple times himself. Potentially elite talent in 2021 with Edvinsson. Kasper is developing just fine, his play away from the puck makes him an extremely underrated pick, also no one else drafted behind him is doing anything yet. 2023 players are still too fresh to judge. I would say some of the most questionable moves are constantly moving down in the draft, the trade he made with LA where they drafted Faber is one that really bugs me, I liked him.
    Now got signing the vets. Chiarot was literally one of the best defensemen available, if he didn't give him a good contact (for the player) he doesn't get him. They were desperate for players. Fabbri, I didn't like extending him personally but he had been effective when healthy. Copp, Compher and Holl are all basically over paying to get players as the options available were very limited. The team needed to improve and it has every year since. Most of the other UFAs weren't signed to much term and are just plugging holes.
    For the prospects. Edvinsson wasn't quite ready at the start of the season, he has used this time to develop his game better, he will be on the team next season. Kasper wasn't ready, missed training camp and was recovering from an injury and surgery to start the season. He's developing nicely but putting him in the NHL probably not a good thing. Berggren is the one that bugs me. I think there was a desire for him to work on his play away from the puck. He should have a roster spot next season as well, if not then they better move him for his sake. Soderblom hasn't earned a spot and looks lost out there at times, disappointing actually. Mazur was probably the only other one close to being able to contribute. Albert Johansson should be getting a shot as well.
    Also referring to guys like Copp and Compher, they will be needed to help insulate and teach these young guys as they come up.
    Pretty sure he wants to build through the draft but adding players via free agency allows them to help start building a winning culture. I don't think he's trying to speed it up with UFAs.
    PuzzledActuary liked this.
    Mar. 15 at 11:07 a.m.
    Quoting: jfkst1
    I wouldn't go so far as to call it puzzling, but I firmly believe signing lengthy UFA contracts should only be done by contenders and some of the ones Yzerman has done make zero sense to me. He's been great with building great futures, not sure why he is dipping into the UFA pool with risky contracts. That said, I see some fans also wanting to target aging UFA vets. I still believe trying to expedite a rebuild is almost a guaranteed way to fail a rebuild.

I have a lengthy response above if it interests you. ^
    Mar. 15 at 11:41 a.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    Quoting: Lancebmx
    I have a lengthy response above if it interests you. ^

I disagree with signing the vets. All four of those contracts I said made no sense for DET at the time and stand by that opinion. Especially with Chiarot. Rebuilds don't have to follow a set trajectory of improving every year. Just need to stay consistent with the path and not waffle back and forth like BUF, CBJ, EDM, etc. did. Not staying the course is where the failed rebuilds come from. Frankly, if a team is willing to be patient and continues adding futures, even with poor drafting, they will eventually turn into a contender. And that's where every cap era dynasty came from. CHI, TBL, PIT, LAK all had multiple awful seasons collecting future HOFers at the top of the draft. Teams can be consistent contenders without those players, but it makes it a lot harder. BOS maybe being the sole deviation from that and even they have won only a single SC so not even sure they have been successful relative to the other orgs.
    Mar. 15 at 11:44 a.m.
    Why would the Devils do that?
    Mar. 15 at 11:45 a.m.
    Quoting: jfkst1
    I disagree with signing the vets. All four of those contracts I said made no sense for DET at the time and stand by that opinion. Especially with Chiarot. Rebuilds don't have to follow a set trajectory of improving every year. Just need to stay consistent with the path and not waffle back and forth like BUF, CBJ, EDM, etc. did. Not staying the course is where the failed rebuilds come from. Frankly, if a team is willing to be patient and continues adding futures, even with poor drafting, they will eventually turn into a contender. And that's where every cap era dynasty came from. BOS maybe being the sole deviation from that and even they have won only a single SC.

Chiarot, they needed a defenseman, the market was extremely thin. They got one for not a great price but he has been actually pretty good this year.
    Copp brings more than offense, now I haven't watched enough of him to say confidentially that his play away from the puck had been really good but he has been known for that.
    Compher is doing great so far.
    None of those guys are expected to be here when this team is good, maybe he tail end of Compher. This team was expected to take a step forward and they have. Battling for a playoff spot all year is a win in my books. Streaks like this are good for teams to build character and learn for to deal with it when it is more critical.
    Mar. 15 at 11:51 a.m.
    Quoting: Subbanator7667
    Boston and NJ tell you to add

I think Boston would be ok with that return for Ullmark... just make the 2nd a 2024 instead of 2025
    Mar. 15 at 11:57 a.m.
    Quoting: BruinsWoahWoah
    I think Boston would be ok with that return for Ullmark... just make the 2nd a 2024 instead of 2025

My thought would be the trade would happen after the draft so that's why I made it a 2025. Figured boston would rather have a tradeable asset instead of a 2nd rounder that won't contribute for 5-7 years.
    BruinsWoahWoah liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll