Forums/Armchair-GM

Change

Created by: aldore
Team: 2024-25 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 9, 2024
Published: Mar. 15, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Blues are in a bad spot. I personally would like to see us change gears but I understand that doesn’t make a lot of financial sense from an owners point of view and it sometimes ends up in an everlasting rebuild. Given the amount of past-their-prime, underperforming, NTC-holding players we have, I don’t seeing us being legit contenders for at least 3 years. After 1 more year, a lot of the guys full NTC will change to 15 team which is something to look forward too. But basically the point I’m trying to make is we need change.

Trade 1: Buchnevich
Saw this blueprint on a Buffalo fans ACGM and liked it a lot. Buch is currently the 3rd best player on the team behind Thomas and Binner. He is on an absolutely incredible contract for 1 more year. PPG player who can play top line and penalty kill. At 50% retained he only costs 2.9mil. We need to cash in because our team is not in a position where signing him to the deal he deserves and we get 4 good years and 2-3 bad overpriced ones makes sense. Buffalo is a team I see being very close to becoming a legit contender. They are young as ****. They have a stacked young Defense locked in, and a ton of young forwards. Skinner and Tuch kinda lead the pack with veteran presence. Buch would be a great injection of skill, experience, and leadership. This trade could come with them talking and getting a deal in place. Buffalo really needs to take the step to the playoffs and I think buch would help. Scott wheeler gives them the #1 overall prospect pool. Ideally we’d get their pick this year but don’t think they give that up. They like Savoie more than Kulich so they decide to let him go while replacing him with a top 15 pick this year and their pool stays strong. They make the playoffs next year so they feel good about giving their pick thinking it’ll be 20 or above. Blues are looking for 2 first and a NHL player, we’ll Krebs is kind of an NHL player. I have always liked his game even tho he hasn’t panned out yet. Maybe another change of scenery could revive him, low risk high reward potential. We add the 5th to drop the protection to top 7 instead of top 10 and to even the values.

Trade 2: Krug
We gotta get rid of this guy. He has full protection so it has to be a place he’d want to go. Detroit isn’t really an option and the only other place I could see him going would be back to Boston. They don’t have a bunch of LD under contract for next year so it could make sense. I see them wanting to get bigger and younger but maybe? At 2.5mil retained he is the same price as his buyout without the extra years. At 4m for a team who can shelter him, he might be worth the gamble for only 3 more years. I don’t see this one happening in reality but a man can dream right?

Trade 3: Kinda the same thing with Krebs. A bet on a younger player who doesn’t look like he’s panning out. The pedigree is there so this is another one I think my value may be low and NYR aren’t going to let go of Kappo but they need C depth and bringing back Hayes would be fun! The 3rd is to even things out. This helps us get younger in a time period where we aren’t aiming to win a cup but build for a better future. It’s a gamble I’d be happy to take cause Hayes doesn’t help us and I’d bet Kakko will be better than that 3rd round pick.

Free Agency

-Sign Bertuzzi to a 1 year deal he can pass up. Trade him at the deadline 50% retained for something decent

-Sugn Zodorov to a 2 year overpaid deal to get him here and stop gap/protect younger guys. We’ll have two retention slots the following year and can flip him with retention to whoever or keep him till his contracts up. Depends how things go.

-Sign Perron because why the **** not

Our guys
Thomas is elite. Now that I got that out of the way, let’s talk. Snuggy is going to be a stud. Sign him and start him in the A but I could see him as a solid pro by the end of next season. Of only Perunovich could stay healthy and really develop. Give him another shot. Sign other guys as depth defenders to fill rolls when he inevitably gets hurt. Zach Dean, Bolduc are also right on the cuff. Neighbors is close. We’ve got some good young guys, adding Kulich gives us som real star power and enough forwards now it’s time to build D. Its been time to build D. Need to get some youth D in. Can trade forwards like Dean or Bolduc for some already established prospects. Definitely needs to be the focus at the draft.

The Draft
I expect us to end around 10-14.
10-14 pick, Carter Yalemchuck, Zayne Parekh, Zeev Buium, Adam Jiricek
42-46: Leo Shalin Wallenius, Dominik Badinka, Adam Kleber, Charlie Elick, Matvei Shuravin
60ish: Alfons Freij, EJ Emory, Will Skahan, Stian Solberg
Leave the draft with 3 good D prospects from the first 2 rounds.

Conclusion:
This team ain’t winning **** but at least moves would have been made that help us gear up for success in the future. It rounds out the prospect pool, gets rid of some of the bad contracts, rides out the others and give us fairly high picks while being able to trade for early picks. Think we do basically the same strategy for one more year after the one depicted here and then Snuggy, Kulich, Lindstein, stenberg, Bulduc, Neighbors, maybe our early 2024 pick, are ready to start playing and some of those contracts will be closer to ending. Then we can supplement with FAs and maybe trade futures again. We’d be back in no time!
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,150,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$1,250,000
2$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$7,000,000
2$5,850,000
1$5,500,000
Trades
STL
  1. Krebs, Peyton [RFA Rights]
  2. Kulich, Jiri
  3. 2025 1st round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
Top 7 protected
BUF
  1. Buchnevich, Pavel ($2,900,000 retained)
  2. 2024 5th round pick (STL)
STL
  1. 2024 6th round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. Krug, Torey ($2,500,000 retained)
STL
  1. Kakko, Kaapo [RFA Rights]
NYR
  1. Hayes, Kevin
  2. Washkurak, Keean [RFA Rights]
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (NYR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,500,000$86,035,833$0$0$1,464,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$835,833$835,833
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$8,125,000$8,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 7
$8,125,000$8,125,000
RW
UFA - 7
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
RFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
RFA
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
C
RFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD
RFA
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,850,000$5,850,000
LD/RD
UFA
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
G
RFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 15 at 1:24 p.m.
We don't need retention on buchnevich.

Kulich is probably a deal breaker
Mar. 15 at 1:24 p.m.
Again, sabres aren't trading premium pieces for a 29 year old rental. He's a good center, but it just doesn't make sense for the Sabres
Mar. 15 at 1:25 p.m.
Easy pass for rangers

Drury didn’t even want to trade Kakko for guentzel who’s miles better than Hayes
Mar. 15 at 1:28 p.m.
mokumboi
I'm not opposed to a Zadorov move for a couple years, but that's too much money. On the other hand, super hard mega extreme pass on Bertuzzi, and again. He's worth nowhere near that money. But most of all, I don't understand why we'd want him. We don't need somebody blocking all the young wingers. Let alone that head case.

Where are all the kids, man?
Mar. 15 at 1:33 p.m.
I keep seeing Buch to Buffalo. I keep seeing incredible overpays. My question, legitimately, is how did his trade value triple/quadruple from his last year in NY (RFA signing rights, 25 years old, coming off near a ppg the year prior and a really good up and coming player in 19/20. He was traded for a second and a warm body. Now, age 29, with one year left to UFA, he’s worth firsts, top prospects, ++. I guess I don’t see it, I know he’s played a little more center and that increases his value, and I know his output is up. It’s like there’s some pluses and minuses from his earlier trade.
Lenny54 liked this.
Mar. 15 at 1:42 p.m.
Quoting: Lsendel3
I keep seeing Buch to Buffalo. I keep seeing incredible overpays. My question, legitimately, is how did his trade value triple/quadruple from his last year in NY (RFA signing rights, 25 years old, coming off near a ppg the year prior and a really good up and coming player in 19/20. He was traded for a second and a warm body. Now, age 29, with one year left to UFA, he’s worth firsts, top prospects, ++. I guess I don’t see it, I know he’s played a little more center and that increases his value, and I know his output is up. It’s like there’s some pluses and minuses from his earlier trade.

His trade from NYR was definitely a fleece. Drury had to let him go as a cap casualty.

Plus is more valuable now then at that point, because of production and Contract value.
Mar. 15 at 1:48 p.m.
Quoting: BDHockey
His trade from NYR was definitely a fleece. Drury had to let him go as a cap casualty.

Plus is more valuable now then at that point, because of production and Contract value.

The contract lasts only another year, and the production is down this year. I get that Armstrong fleeced NY, but all factors considered, quadruple value for a single year of a value contract, then having to resign him for 8+ long term just isn’t good business.
Lenny54 liked this.
Mar. 15 at 1:54 p.m.

He’s an established PPG two way winger. The trade even if he didn’t develop further was bad for the Rangers.

Tell me this, why did Sean Monahan get traded with a 1st just do dump him and then get traded for a 1st at this deadline? Prices change. Situations change. I don’t think Buffalo would move a Kulich. But I also think they have to move out some of these kids. They’re stuck in cycle of wasting away high end talents because they don’t have structure or veterans in place that teach guys to play the right way, and more specifically teach them to play a two-way brand.

Youth being the end all be all in value is the biggest fallacy tossed around here. It’s situational, and having years of control to keep down a salary is beneficial. But potential is rarely met, and yet it’s valued by fans way too highly.
aldore and Matak95 liked this.
Mar. 15 at 1:58 p.m.
Quoting: AC14
He’s an established PPG two way winger. The trade even if he didn’t develop further was bad for the Rangers.

Tell me this, why did Sean Monahan get traded with a 1st just do dump him and then get traded for a 1st at this deadline? Prices change. Situations change. I don’t think Buffalo would move a Kulich. But I also think they have to move out some of these kids. They’re stuck in cycle of wasting away high end talents because they don’t have structure or veterans in place that teach guys to play the right way, and more specifically teach them to play a two-way brand.

Youth being the end all be all in value is the biggest fallacy tossed around here. It’s situational, and having years of control to keep down a salary is beneficial. But potential is rarely met, and yet it’s valued by fans way too highly.

I think I pointed out I understand values change. I also pointed out the positives in his value. Just seems like always an overpay. Probably most likely wishful thinking from Blues fans, but whomever signs him for 8 until he’s 37 will probably disappointed.
Mar. 15 at 2:13 p.m.
Rangers say no thanks, no interest is Hayes at all.
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Mar. 15 at 2:21 p.m.
aldore
Quoting: mokumboi
I'm not opposed to a Zadorov move for a couple years, but that's too much money. On the other hand, super hard mega extreme pass on Bertuzzi, and again. He's worth nowhere near that money. But most of all, I don't understand why we'd want him. We don't need somebody blocking all the young wingers. Let alone that head case.

Where are all the kids, man?

The idea with the FA was overpay so they sign these short term deals and flip them for more assets. Thinking with Bertuzzi, retain half and if he’s playing well get a second and prospect for him? Basically trying to buy assets. Thinking we could flip Bert early too and let the kids play. Like I said, start the kids in the A and move them up forsure. I bet Snuggy will be RW 2 by the end of the season and start 2025 as RW1. But yeah, definitely want the kids to start playing in a low pressure environment so they can develop well
mokumboi liked this.
Mar. 15 at 2:24 p.m.
aldore
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
We don't need retention on buchnevich.

Kulich is probably a deal breaker

That’s fair, I did Kulich cause I was valuing him as your guys 4th valued prospect behind benson, savoie, and Levi. You have a ton of young forwards and was thinking you guys would take notes from Vegas and try and actually make that jump to contender. Not sure what other moves you’d need to do but you have so much youth you should use some for experience. I realize this price is high but ya never know. Plus, I really like Kulich and think he’d look good in the note.
Mar. 15 at 2:31 p.m.
Quoting: aldore
That’s fair, I did Kulich cause I was valuing him as your guys 4th valued prospect behind benson, savoie, and Levi. You have a ton of young forwards and was thinking you guys would take notes from Vegas and try and actually make that jump to contender. Not sure what other moves you’d need to do but you have so much youth you should use some for experience. I realize this price is high but ya never know. Plus, I really like Kulich and think he’d look good in the note.

I mean I didn't even see any mention of an extension for buchnevich. Kulich is above savoie and goalies area whole different animal.

We aren't a winger away from contending for the cup.
Mar. 15 at 2:36 p.m.
aldore
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
I mean I didn't even see any mention of an extension for buchnevich. Kulich is above savoie and goalies area whole different animal.

We aren't a winger away from contending for the cup.

Was using Scott wheelers rankings where he has savoie above Kulich. And that’s true but if all the youth takes a step next year, a veteran winger certainly helps. Need tage to get back to how he looked. You guys might end up making the playoffs this year and a player like buch would undoubtly help your case. But that’s fair, if there’s no deal here there’s no deal. Just figure you’re a team on the fringe with a ton of youth that you could deal. Makes sense to me but I don’t follow you guys religiously so what do I know.
Mar. 15 at 3:19 p.m.
Quoting: wojme
Again, sabres aren't trading premium pieces for a 29 year old rental. He's a good center, but it just doesn't make sense for the Sabres

Buch is not really a center. He's playing there right now but much better at wing.
mokumboi liked this.
Mar. 15 at 4:08 p.m.
B

When I hear fleeced, I laugh! Cap & attitude come in to play, more than cute stats.
That hot take means 30 GMs got fleeced for not offering an extra late pick! That was the best offer!
Why? Because he wanted 5.8m. Sure many teams can take that on But he's a strange bird, had many issues in his time in NY. Now is available again and will want a retirement contract.
STL were asking for the moon, didn't get it, now price drops. Best return would be at next year's crazy tdl, but I don’t think they'll be that patient
Mar. 15 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: Fox_Czar_Cup
When I hear fleeced, I laugh! Cap & attitude come in to play, more than cute stats.
That hot take means 30 GMs got fleeced for not offering an extra late pick! That was the best offer!
Why? Because he wanted 5.8m. Sure many teams can take that on But he's a strange bird, had many issues in his time in NY. Now is available again and will want a retirement contract.
STL were asking for the moon, didn't get it, now price drops. Best return would be at next year's crazy tdl, but I don’t think they'll be that patient

Well my point was the NY trade set a call it mild benchmark on him. Yes, the variables changed, as they always do. But not to the extent many Blues fans are thinking imo. Someone is going to regret giving him all that.
Mar. 15 at 4:21 p.m.
B
Well my point was the NY trade set a call it mild benchmark on him. Yes, the variables changed, as they always do. But not to the extent many Blues fans are thinking imo. Someone is going to regret giving him all that.

Ya nobody is offering anything like that, maybe Krebs & 3rd
Mar. 15 at 4:52 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: aldore
The idea with the FA was overpay so they sign these short term deals and flip them for more assets. Thinking with Bertuzzi, retain half and if he’s playing well get a second and prospect for him? Basically trying to buy assets. Thinking we could flip Bert early too and let the kids play. Like I said, start the kids in the A and move them up forsure. I bet Snuggy will be RW 2 by the end of the season and start 2025 as RW1. But yeah, definitely want the kids to start playing in a low pressure environment so they can develop well

Okay, but signing players to wildly overpriced AAVs on short deals is not going to garner much. Meanwhile, we're not desperate for draft picks or prospects at F or G. I don't think it's necessary to splurge cash on assets with very little market desirability.

And with Bertuzzi, they presumably won't bother with him at all due to his past antics. The Blues run from anyone who could upset the apple cart, for better or worse. They just demand solid citizens and character. It's why Gilmour was given away, why Shanahan was dealt, so forth and so on.
Mar. 15 at 5:13 p.m.
I would do this for Buchnevich if I thought I could get more than one year from him. Even if its a short term high AAV deal. Its just hard for me to picture him wanting that.
Mar. 15 at 5:18 p.m.
I think I pointed out I understand values change. I also pointed out the positives in his value. Just seems like always an overpay. Probably most likely wishful thinking from Blues fans, but whomever signs him for 8 until he’s 37 will probably disappointed.

If you sign him for 8 years when he's 29/30 you're doing so with the mindset of being competitive for 5 years or so. It's to keep his salary down for a competitive window. In which case, I highly doubt anyone that signs him for that will be concerned about what his age 35, 36, and 37 season will look like too much unless the rest of the roster catastrophically fails.
Mar. 15 at 5:21 p.m.
Quoting: Rags21
Easy pass for rangers

Drury didn’t even want to trade Kakko for guentzel who’s miles better than Hayes

I read Kakko was included in a deal to Anaheim for Vatrano and Henrique. Not saying Hayes is better than them but they’re all 3rd liners. You’d get a 3C and a pick for a player who desperately needs a change of scenery if he’s gonna live up to his offensive hype.
Mar. 15 at 5:32 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Okay, but signing players to wildly overpriced AAVs on short deals is not going to garner much. Meanwhile, we're not desperate for draft picks or prospects at F or G. I don't think it's necessary to splurge cash on assets with very little market desirability.

And with Bertuzzi, they presumably won't bother with him at all due to his past antics. The Blues run from anyone who could upset the apple cart, for better or worse. They just demand solid citizens and character. It's why Gilmour was given away, why Shanahan was dealt, so forth and so on.

Would guess the player wouldn't have much interest either. Not going to be an overly competitive team. The idea probably with the 1 year signing this season was to restore some value from the past injury seasons while being on an extremely competitive team. I just don't see someone giving away one or two of their prime years on a higher AAV offer unless it's stupidly high vs. mitigating risk by signing a longer term deal elsewhere.
mokumboi liked this.
Mar. 15 at 5:42 p.m.
aldore
Would guess the player wouldn't have much interest either. Not going to be an overly competitive team. The idea probably with the 1 year signing this season was to restore some value from the past injury seasons while being on an extremely competitive team. I just don't see someone giving away one or two of their prime years on a higher AAV offer unless it's stupidly high vs. mitigating risk by signing a longer term deal elsewhere.

And I thought 7m was stupid high for him. But I do understand the character thing, especially as we’re trying to bring up young guys and recalibrate a bit. He’s not exactly gonna help. Again just thinking a top 6ish forward will have some value at 3.5 for the year for teams.
Mar. 15 at 5:49 p.m.
If you sign him for 8 years when he's 29/30 you're doing so with the mindset of being competitive for 5 years or so. It's to keep his salary down for a competitive window. In which case, I highly doubt anyone that signs him for that will be concerned about what his age 35, 36, and 37 season will look like too much unless the rest of the roster catastrophically fails.

Have you seen Buffalo lately 😄

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll