Forums/Armchair-GM

Whats the difference between early Nichushkin and Kakko

Created by: Rags21
Team: 2023-24 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 25, 2024
Published: Mar. 25, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What’s the different between Kakko and Nichushkin early in his career? 1 is currently a bust and the other people would take on their team any day….
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,500,000$83,032,416$610,892$582,500$467,584
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,325,000$2,325,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW
RFA - 1
$828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW
RFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,641,667$3,641,667
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$820,000$820,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,872,000$3,872,000
LD
RFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,666,667$5,666,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
RFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$825,000$825,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
$812,500$812,500
LD
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,437,500$4,437,500
C, LW
UFA - 4
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RW
NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 25 at 5:01 p.m.
How's kakkos defense?
Mar. 25 at 5:02 p.m.
Quoting: JeffW
How's kakkos defense?

It’s always been good since he was a teen coming into the league. It’s obviously better than his offense. Maybe above average but not elite, just yet?
Mar. 25 at 5:10 p.m.
Quoting: Rags21
It’s always been good since he was a teen coming into the league. It’s obviously better than his offense. Maybe above average but not elite, just yet?

Well nuke had to redefine his game after his time in Dallas, the reason he's so effective is because of his speed, added with a motor that doesn't stop, being the first guy to the puck and winning puck battles.. his shot isn't very good and his deke move is always the same lol. So paired with other skilled players he's the "hyman" of the line, he's getting better at deflections and is picking up a bunch of assists from mack and rants.. while slamming in pucks from the front of the net

Mostly he's just an effective big bodied puck carrier that doesn't quit on anything
Rags21, NMAvsFan and TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 25 at 5:17 p.m.
Well nuke had to redefine his game after his time in Dallas, the reason he's so effective is because of his speed, added with a motor that doesn't stop, being the first guy to the puck and winning puck battles.. his shot isn't very good and his deke move is always the same lol. So paired with other skilled players he's the "hyman" of the line, he's getting better at deflections and is picking up a bunch of assists from mack and rants.. while slamming in pucks from the front of the net

Mostly he's just an effective big bodied puck carrier that doesn't quit on anything

Yea I was gonna say, I think Kakko has to find out what he’s good at offensively and he most definitely needs to work on his speed. He’s so damn good at puck possession but can’t skate away

It’s just funny how people on this site call Kakko a bust just because he’s not a point per game or the next Mcdavid
Mar. 25 at 5:29 p.m.
Representing the 505
Yea I was gonna say, I think Kakko has to find out what he’s good at offensively and he most definitely needs to work on his speed. He’s so damn good at puck possession but can’t skate away

It’s just funny how people on this site call Kakko a bust just because he’s not a point per game or the next Mcdavid

It really depends on what is meant by "bust" I suppose. A guy drafted 2OA as a forward isn't drafted at that position because they're thought of as good-but-not-elite defensively and doesn't offer much offensively; there are tons of guys drafted far lower than Kakko that have done the same or better than him their first five seasons in the league so, from that perspective, he isn't living up to his draft position. He still has time to become a decent middle-six player but you have to wonder if he needs a change of scenery to reach his potential.
jfkst1 and TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 25 at 5:33 p.m.
Representing the 505

All of this plus he's a good skater in general; for a guy his size, his transitions are strong and, with his long legs, he creates distance between himself and opponents well. At the NHL level, when you combine his size, his skating and his puck skill, you can get a really effective player. Not sure if Dallas expected him to be a sniper or whatever but that isn't his game. The Avs saw the potential, Bednar found his strengths and has put him in a position to succeed. Sounds like Kakko needs someone to do the same for him.
JeffW and TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 25 at 5:39 p.m.

Guys that get picked that high usually have an expectation of high production, it's not like he's alex turcotte or anything..

I always liked kakko, reminded me a bit of landeskog, so maybe if they can find a role for him like his he could be as successful
Rags21 and TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 25 at 5:46 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I will continue to **** on Kakko but he’s very underrated on here.
Rags21 liked this.
Mar. 25 at 6:01 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
I will continue to **** on Kakko but he’s very underrated on here.

I mean my whole problem is that people call him a bust….I guess I have a different definition of a bust player

Under performing, for sure. But bust? Definitely not yet
TJTwolf and WJC_Enthusiast liked this.
Mar. 25 at 6:07 p.m.
Quoting: NMAvsFan
It really depends on what is meant by "bust" I suppose. A guy drafted 2OA as a forward isn't drafted at that position because they're thought of as good-but-not-elite defensively and doesn't offer much offensively; there are tons of guys drafted far lower than Kakko that have done the same or better than him their first five seasons in the league so, from that perspective, he isn't living up to his draft position. He still has time to become a decent middle-six player but you have to wonder if he needs a change of scenery to reach his potential.

My definition of bust is basically you’re forced out of the NHL and playing overseas because you couldn't cut it….which isn’t Kakko yet

He has potential and needs to figure out what his strong suits are offensively….like Kreider making a name for himself around the crease
Mar. 25 at 6:11 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Kakko is as good defensively, but that's where the similarities end. Nichushkin is a very good, borderline elite, mobility skater whereas Kakko is not and is arguably well below average. Neither are great shooters, but Nichushkin is much better at creating a high volume of shot rates and is a better puck handler and playmaker. Also has better size and is a better puck battler. Kakko isn't going to develop more size and speed at his age. He might refine some of his other offensive skills, but he's a bust so far. 3rd line wingers are a dime a dozen so if that is all he ends up being, that's a bad #2 overall pick.
Mar. 25 at 6:11 p.m.

Kakko also has 3 more years to get to the point when Nichushkin signed with COL. Hence the reason drury is being patient.
Rags21 liked this.
Mar. 25 at 6:15 p.m.
Representing the 505
Quoting: NYR1983
Kakko also has 3 more years to get to the point when Nichushkin signed with COL. Hence the reason drury is being patient.

But Nuke only got to where he is after being bought out, going to a new team and rebuilding his game from the ground up.
TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 25 at 6:16 p.m.
Quoting: jfkst1
Kakko is as good defensively, but that's where the similarities end. Nichushkin is a very good, borderline elite, mobility skater whereas Kakko is not and is arguably well below average. Neither are great shooters, but Nichushkin is much better at creating a high volume of shot rates and is a better puck handler and playmaker. Also has better size and is a better puck battler. Kakko isn't going to develop more size and speed at his age. He might refine some of his other offensive skills, but he's a bust so far. 3rd line wingers are a dime a dozen so if that is all he ends up being, that's a bad #2 overall pick.

Sounds like you’re comparing Kakko to Nichushkin now rather than his early career where he had equally ugly stats lol

if all Kakko has to do is improve his skating and shooting volume, then he’ll easily become good over time. Players develop their speed all the time lol Laffy looks day and night different compared to last year
NYR1983 and WJC_Enthusiast liked this.
Mar. 25 at 6:18 p.m.

Yeah he's younger, I think his point was nishushkin was considered a bust like some people are saying about kakko. Now nichushkin is a top line, conne Smyth vote getting 2 way player and what kakko should do to get better
TJTwolf liked this.
I wouldn't call Kakko a bust yet. Just underachieving for his draft position. There's still time for him to put everything together.
NYR1983 liked this.
Representing the 505
My definition of bust is basically you’re forced out of the NHL and playing overseas because you couldn't cut it….which isn’t Kakko yet

He has potential and needs to figure out what his strong suits are offensively….like Kreider making a name for himself around the crease

I feel like that's a an extremely generous definition of "bust". Top-10 picks are expected to be difference-makers within their first four to five years in the league, not become role-players so, even if he sticks as a regular NHLer, Kakko is going to be considered a bust by most people unless he picks things up soon.
jfkst1 liked this.
Mar. 25 at 6:20 p.m.
I feel like that's a an extremely generous definition of "bust". Top-10 picks are expected to be difference-makers within their first four to five years in the league, not become role-players so, even if he sticks as a regular NHLer, Kakko is going to be considered a bust by most people unless he picks things up soon.

So then Nichushkin is a former bust by your standards and there’s no hope for any late developing players
Mar. 25 at 6:22 p.m.
But Nuke only got to where he is after being bought out, going to a new team and rebuilding his game from the ground up.

Ya it’s not about today’s Nuke. It’s about 19-25 year old nuke vs 19-22 year old Kakko. Kakko is better defensively and better at scoring. If he keeps working on everything he will become the today’s Nuke is our point. And he still has 3 years to get to that age when nuke came to COL
Rags21 liked this.
Mar. 25 at 6:23 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Sounds like you’re comparing Kakko to Nichushkin now rather than his early career where he had equally ugly stats lol

if all Kakko has to do is improve his skating and shooting volume, then he’ll easily become good over time. Players develop their speed all the time lol Laffy looks day and night different compared to last year

Skating is largely a proxy to athleticism. If he has an inefficiency in stride or lower body strength that might be improved upon, but 0% chance Kakko will have the size and mobility combination of Nichushkin. It's a genetic disparity there. In terms of other offensive abilities, what you see is VERY LIKELY what he has. He's 23 with 300+ NHL games. In 90+% of cases, what you see is what you are going to get from an NHL forward with that many NHL games played.
Mar. 25 at 6:25 p.m.

Wow, that’s your definition I guess. Seems shortsighted. If Nuke was drafted 2OA and took the exact same path, you think that’s a bust? Yikes. Or Tage drafted higher but having his path? So Turcotte must be an absolute joke in your eyes?
Mar. 25 at 6:25 p.m.
Representing the 505
So then Nichushkin is a former bust by your standards and there’s no hope for any late developing players

He busted in Dallas then had to work his way back up as a reclamation project. It's possible Kakko finds his game with the Rangers but time is running out.
jfkst1 liked this.
Mar. 25 at 6:26 p.m.
Quoting: jfkst1
Skating is largely a proxy to athleticism. If he has an inefficiency in stride or lower body strength that might be improved upon, but 0% chance Kakko will have the size and mobility combination of Nichushkin. It's a genetic disparity there. In terms of other offensive abilities, what you see is VERY LIKELY what he has. He's 23 with 300+ NHL games. In 90+% of cases, what you see is what you are going to get from an NHL forward with that many NHL games played.

I never said he will be exactly like Nichushkin but people act like he was so good early in his career but he was a 20/30 point player just like Kakko is now…but Kakko is doing it while being slower lmao

There’s a bunch of examples of all kinds of players breaking out offensively later in their career lol
Mar. 25 at 6:28 p.m.
Representing the 505
Wow, that’s your definition I guess. Seems shortsighted. If Nuke was drafted 2OA and took the exact same path, you think that’s a bust? Yikes. Or Tage drafted higher but having his path? So Turcotte must be an absolute joke in your eyes?

For every Nuke and Tage (who wasn't even a top-10 pick) there are countless others that either become role-players or never really make it in the NHL. Turcotte hasn't done anything in the NHL so, yeah, what of it? I get it, you like your guy and hope he turns out to be a good player but he may end up being a bust by your own definition. Take it personally if you want but it doesn't change that so, far, Kakko hasn't accomplished much as an NHL player.
jfkst1 liked this.
Mar. 25 at 6:29 p.m.
He busted in Dallas then had to work his way back up as a reclamation project. It's possible Kakko finds his game with the Rangers but time is running out.

I don’t know what you want Kakko to do lmao he’s playing 11 minutes a game at 5v5

Since coming back from injury his goals per 60 ranks 65th and is better than kucherov, Tkachuk, Horvat, Robertson…..

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll