Created by: Billy316
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 3, 2024
Published: Apr. 9, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Draft Day Moves :

Why Cole Hutson?
Similar path as his Brother and set to walk into his NCAA Role just as Lane turns Pro.
Given the development paths been the same im confident that he'll thrive under Coach Pandolofo.
So i guess its about hedging your bet knowing odds are he'll overproduce too

MTL is sketchy with our late first round picks, most bust but that was largely before Bobrov.
But TBH Bobrov's later picks are often just as controversial most years.
I feel picking someone with this much skill we know a lot about makes sense.

By the time he turns pro Guhle will be on his 7th Season with Arber and Lane will be in his 3rd full season.
As much as i love Arber and Guhle as soon as Lane Huston hits All Time NCAA Scoring Dman Im Confident he'll thrive here.
His Power Play Ability is what may stand out the most but he's a solid Defensman in his own right

Why take Cole then if all that's true ?
Cause if you got to move 1/2 big guys you better have a top tier high end upgrade

Is there other Good players we could take with that pick?
For sure but none with the upside in the position to succeed like Cole is.

Personally im a big fan of this family especially Quinn and Lane with their success together.
I was already gonna invest in Quinn to become our Laval Captain and Mainstay Leader
While he's not NHL Ready nor is his Long Time Linemate Luke Tuch but both could be in 2-3 years in Laval
There is a Window for them as largely we have Centers joining Laval who could benefit from their Chemistry/Play like Cellebrini's has between Q.Hutson-L.Tuch.
The Hope is Quinn will be competing in the AHL for a Title as Lane is starting to lead MTL to Playoffs regularly
MTL needs one of our many standout Centers to follow Suzuki's Path and take that 2nd C role.
Until then as good as our D is at scoring i think we just wont have the depth to endure Injuries without that.

If Tanev got a 2nd,3rd and a prospect
Lubushkin got a 3rd and a 6th
I'd suggest that Savard lands just above Tanevs return as he finishes ahead of him everywhere his whole career.
While Savard was winning a Cup Tanev was Golfing after a loss that year in his 2nd playoffs in a decade.
Lybushkin and Kovacevic are actually basically the same stats wise as it all balances out.
Some area's Lybushkin is weak Kovacevic is strong and visca versa.
Kovacevic is Bigger is the only Quantifiable extreme i can see in differences

I still think if MTL RS as much as CGY did that a 1st isnt out of the question in the right situation
That said i think

Florian Xhekaj Dregr said signed a PTO to join Laval now potentially that MTL expects Xhekaj to skip his final year in the OHL to focus on playing in either MTL or Laval as he'll be old enough to make the choice by season start. Florian is a 6'4 Power Center who before this Offensive Breakout this season he was known as a Defensive Shut Down Player playing kinda a Perry like Role these days as an Agitator/Pest in the bottom 6 who's not a defensive liability .

This is a Year ahead of where i thought Florian was and im glad too!
Growing that extra 2 inches and putting on that 15lbs helped him a lot for sure
But really he just plays that Jack McBain type role Hughes come up short in filling as runner up in the McBain hunt.
Like McBain i expect Florian to finish top 5 in NHL hits as a Rookie while making a name as a Power Forward.

Upside? Florian unlike Arber LOVES to Fight but wont do it unless he can draw the extra penalty
He'll wait and bait a Reaves type into taking the extra then completely rock them.
Having him around will benefit both Xhekaj Brothers in that regard
It'll also make Pezz better by Proxy as Florians linemates in Brampton all picked it up on that side of their game

Do we need Florian to be Suzuki ? Nope , Just better then Dvorak or Colin White at this point.
Pretty low bar really but given he's a projected bottom 6 role player brining him up at 19 has no downside really.

MTL still has tons of time and space to make moves this summer and to sell Vet's next TDL.
Plus we got a stacked AHL team with talent to the roof as Mesar,Beck,Kapanen,Hutson and Enstrom among others set to join Laval.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
3$900,000
2$900,000
3$900,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Hutson, Quinn
2$875,000
Xhekaj, Florian
3$950,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Fortier, Gabriel
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (TBL)
  3. 2025 2nd round pick (TBL)
Additional Details:
Savards done more in less time then Tanev and still plays at similar across the boards as 2nd pair Special Teams Leaders who are Team Leading Shot Blockers.

IF MTL RS that 1st of TBL is conditional and if they make the SCF with Savard playing 50% of the games til then the 2nd becomes a 1st. IF TBL wants him cheaper they'll have to pony up a 4th round pick like DAL did for NJD to RS of 1.125m
TBL
  1. Savard, David ($1,750,000 retained)
Additional Details:
We want him to Contend and Win cause if you're moving out Locals who signed here when they had other options on Contenders it has to be to a position of Strength.

Toffoli we move to his Former Coaches team where he had a Career year and a Good run overall in CGY. He still talks positively about Hughes, MTL and his love for the Dog Parks and tight nit community Pet owners had in his community. His Wife Kat often does the same saying overall it was a great experience even if Brief. Since then its been easier to sign guys despite us sucking.

You want guys like this to win when you're Rebuilding so that when you're contending UFA's remember this when signing with you
MTL
  1. 2024 5th round pick (CGY)
  2. 2026 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Why TML?
TBH i dont think there's a better fit for him outside maybe EDM or BOS for Kovacevic
TOR
  1. Kovacevic, Johnathan
Additional Details:
TML adds 6'5 223lb Kovacevic for similar price as you paid for Lybushkin at a cap you can cover by putting GIO on LTIR
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$83,500,000$70,793,749$1,170,000$4,310,000$12,706,251
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$835,000$835,000 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Xhekaj, Florian
$950,000$950,000
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 3
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 9 at 10:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Billy316
What Depth assets has TML Developed in the past 20 years if we're being honest here.
What are you holding out for ? TML has the most success with top 5 picks then after that **** gets real dicey for TML in the last 20 years developmentally.

Tor has developed a lot of good players over the years many of which have come to form but sadly due to the cap we weren't able to keep

Hyman, Moore, Kapenan, Sandin, among others

But for those we have kept, found and have helped develop recently

McMann, Robertson, Liligren, Holmberg, Benoit, Knies

TOR has no trouble finding and developing players and soon others will be joining them

In the end no need to waste assets on what would be here a #7 when we can just sign someone in FA
Apr. 9 at 11:36 p.m.
In thesiders said otherwise and even Hughes said TBL called as part of his Transparency Era commitment to the fans he does it alot
That said mostly i went with TBL cause it seemed like an easy one but it really doesnt matter where he goes
Also if you had Savard blocking shots this year then odds are much lower that Sergachev goes out the year after blocking a Parayko shot.
Shot blocking is a skill thats taught but most times its just easier for contenders to load up on Vet's who can do it to save the Skilled players like Sergachev from blocking the big shots.
Whether its CHI in any of their Cup years, LAK in theirs , PIT in theirs or TBL in theirs this is the standard for every NHL Contender but especially for NHL Champions.
Leaving it for the youth to do , hows that worked out so far as you limp into the playoffs despite Kucherov being in God mode to the point you should be a Presidents Trophy Team.

Whether its Savard or someone less skilled at the same role TBL needs to fill that hole if they want to compete again seriously for a cup
I mean its either Hedman or Cernak or Sergachev out the past few years cause they're doing things role players should be because TBL had little success turning inexperienced D into that.
But like i said its not like we need it to be TBL it just seems glaringly obvious if you're going to compete again you'll have to overload the back end again like your 2 cup runs so your skilled players stop getting beat up so badly before the playoffs even show up .

Really PIT makes as much sense given Letang/Karlssons injury issues playing a Savard to absorb shots will only help them out long term given the age of their team
Big Game Dave would fit into that group easier now that i think about it and Dubus was linked to Savard more then anyone so maybe next trade i take a run at PIT instead in hindsight

. So only Savard would be blocking shots? That's an extreme intellectual leap. If Savard were on the team Sergachev wouldn't get injured blocking a shot really so both Cernak and Sergachev wouldn't have gotten injured ? And Sergachev is out now because He broke his leg on a reverse check by LAFRENIÈRE. Savard being on the team would have prevented Sergachev s injury is one of the most mind boggling statements I've ever heard.
Apr. 10 at 7:24 a.m.
Insiders said otherwise and even Hughes said TBL called as part of his Transparency Era commitment to the fans he does it alot
That said mostly i went with TBL cause it seemed like an easy one but it really doesnt matter where he goes
Also if you had Savard blocking shots this year then odds are much lower that Sergachev goes out the year after blocking a Parayko shot.
Shot blocking is a skill thats taught but most times its just easier for contenders to load up on Vet's who can do it to save the Skilled players like Sergachev from blocking the big shots.
Whether its CHI in any of their Cup years, LAK in theirs , PIT in theirs or TBL in theirs this is the standard for every NHL Contender but especially for NHL Champions.
Leaving it for the youth to do , hows that worked out so far as you limp into the playoffs despite Kucherov being in God mode to the point you should be a Presidents Trophy Team.

Whether its Savard or someone less skilled at the same role TBL needs to fill that hole if they want to compete again seriously for a cup
I mean its either Hedman or Cernak or Sergachev out the past few years cause they're doing things role players should be because TBL had little success turning inexperienced D into that.
But like i said its not like we need it to be TBL it just seems glaringly obvious if you're going to compete again you'll have to overload the back end again like your 2 cup runs so your skilled players stop getting beat up so badly before the playoffs even show up .

Really PIT makes as much sense given Letang/Karlssons injury issues playing a Savard to absorb shots will only help them out long term given the age of their team
Big Game Dave would fit into that group easier now that i think about it and Dubus was linked to Savard more then anyone so maybe next trade i take a run at PIT instead in hindsight

Didn't "insiders " say Schenn was going to TB last season and Hanifin this season? When it comes to TB insiders get a hell of a lot more than a grain of salt.
Billy316 liked this.
Apr. 10 at 3:55 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Quoting: Dan_the_Man
Didn't "insiders " say Schenn was going to TB last season and Hanifin this season? When it comes to TB insiders get a hell of a lot more than a grain of salt.

Which is why IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING that 3 word statement i followed up with KENT HUGHES SAID
If you woulda kept reading past the first 3 words you would have seen i addressed this right after.
When Kent Hughes said TBL called about Savard right after Sergachev went down , i believe him
That said he also said many people called about him as well so its not like it means there is an imminent deal

Like i said it just seemed like the most logical given TBL star D keep sitting out long periods of times getting beat up blocking shots.
Thats what you have players like Savard who cant produce offensively that great but when it comes to shot blocking few are as clutch as he is year in and year out
After the first decade most Shot Blockers are banged up and or retired.
Apr. 10 at 3:59 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Quoting: Justafan79
. So only Savard would be blocking shots? That's an extreme intellectual leap. If Savard were on the team Sergachev wouldn't get injured blocking a shot really so both Cernak and Sergachev wouldn't have gotten injured ? And Sergachev is out now because He broke his leg on a reverse check by LAFRENIÈRE. Savard being on the team would have prevented Sergachev s injury is one of the most mind boggling statements I've ever heard.

*Facepalm* wouldnt waste my time on this if you paid me
Apr. 10 at 5:43 p.m.
*Facepalm* wouldnt waste my time on this if you paid me

Good then I won't have to read any moronic ramblings
Apr. 12 at 7:24 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Campabee
Personally, I think drafting Parascak is the way to go with the Jets pick. It's high risk high reward but putting up 105 points as a rookie in the WHL means you have got some serious talent, I am not sure why he isn't ranked higher but how can you pass up that kind of scoring if it's available to you that late in the draft?!

I'm looking at Parascak with the Edmonton first. But I think that the Oilers have a better chance at getting to the Conference finals than the Jets.
Campabee and Billy316 liked this.
Apr. 12 at 7:32 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I'm looking at Parascak with the Edmonton first. But I think that the Oilers have a better chance at getting to the Conference finals than the Jets.

I feel like he could be a Marner type of guy, not super flashy like Mathews or Zegras just gets the job done efficiently and puts up massive points doing it.
OldNYIfan and Billy316 liked this.
Apr. 14 at 6:00 a.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Quoting: Justafan79
Good then I won't have to read any moronic ramblings

I didnt invite you to my Post
I didnt hold you hostage or make you read it
I mean what kind of Weak Willed idiocy is this?
Dont like something add them to the Ignore list
Dont project your shortcomings onto others though
This isnt Therapy and im no shrink

Newtons 3rd Law defines everything from Gravity to Life
You operate in life without any knowledge of it
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll