hindsight

hindsight

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: Matt1567
Published: Apr. 14 at 12:31 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
Apr. 14 at 12:42 p.m.
Not so Fasth
That seems a little high for Guhle. Defensively he's good, but he's not a great point producer and somewhat injury prone
Apr. 14 at 12:43 p.m.
I think the Sens pass on Lafreniere and take Byfield or Faber pretty easily.
Apr. 14 at 1:53 p.m.
mokumboi
Nikishin waaaay too low.
Apr. 14 at 2:19 p.m.
Raymond>>>>Sanderson
JoeROFLCOPTER liked this.
Apr. 14 at 2:23 p.m.
Prime Primeau
Quoting: mokumboi
Nikishin waaaay too low.

Can we just wait until he plays a game to say that. For now, he is only a D who breaks khl records. Most guys above him are nhl players
Matt1567 liked this.
Apr. 14 at 2:25 p.m.
Prime Primeau
Stuzle
Lafrenière
Faber
Byfield
Raymond
Neigbours
Sanderson
Jarvis
Guhle
JJP
Mercer
Quinn
Holtz
Apr. 14 at 2:27 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: GuyGuyGuy
Stuzle
Lafrenière
Faber
Byfield
Raymond
Neigbours
Sanderson
Jarvis
Guhle
JJP
Mercer
Quinn
Holtz

Sanderson gotta be higher imo, at the very least over faber. He's been better than faber this year, and has 3 years of quality play under his belt
Matt1567 liked this.
Apr. 14 at 2:37 p.m.
Prime Primeau
Quoting: dgibb10
Sanderson gotta be higher imo, at the very least over faber. He's been better than faber this year, and has 3 years of quality play under his belt

Faber has been one of the best D in the league as a rookie. Sanderson is good, but not that good.
Apr. 14 at 2:40 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Faber has been one of the best D in the league as a rookie. Sanderson is good, but not that good.

I think you're far too high on the season Faber has had.

He eats a ton of minutes. His results haven't been that of an elite dman.

Sanderson has been a clearly better defenseman than Faber this year in my eyes. And if his competition on his side were Mermis and Bogosian instead of Chabot and Chychrun, he'd eat 25 minutes too.
Apr. 14 at 2:59 p.m.
Prime Primeau
I think you're far too high on the season Faber has had.

He eats a ton of minutes. His results haven't been that of an elite dman.

Sanderson has been a clearly better defenseman than Faber this year in my eyes. And if his competition on his side were Mermis and Bogosian instead of Chabot and Chychrun, he'd eat 25 minutes too.

Faber is at the top of the league defensively. Yes, his offensive stats are worse than Sanderson, but he is way better defensively
Apr. 14 at 3:05 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Faber is at the top of the league defensively. Yes, his offensive stats are worse than Sanderson, but he is way better defensively

I’d take Sanderson defensively too.
StutzlesNumber1Fan liked this.
Apr. 14 at 3:06 p.m.
Prime Primeau
I’d take Sanderson defensively too.

Stat wise, Faber is better
Apr. 14 at 3:50 p.m.
mokumboi
Can we just wait until he plays a game to say that. For now, he is only a D who breaks khl records. Most guys above him are nhl players

So what if they're NHL players first? He's not capable of coming over yet, so the comparison is not a fair one. He's so far above most of those players it's not even funny.

And he's not just breaking records. He's the captain of arguably the best team at 21. In Russia, that's unheard of.

He's sure as hell worlds above Hutson.
Apr. 14 at 5:56 p.m.
Matt1567
So what if they're NHL players first? He's not capable of coming over yet, so the comparison is not a fair one. He's so far above most of those players it's not even funny.

And he's not just breaking records. He's the captain of arguably the best team at 21. In Russia, that's unheard of.

he's really good but until he comes over you can't say he's even 1st round worthy, I just put him there because of his KHL stats. If he never comes over anything above pick 200 for him is bad because ultimately you wasted a pick on a guy that never played in the NHL, and who cares if he's the KHL goat this is an NHL draft
Apr. 14 at 5:57 p.m.
Matt1567
Quoting: StutzlesNumber1Fan
I think the Sens pass on Lafreniere and take Byfield or Faber pretty easily.

Laf and Byfield both are scoring at a very similar rate this season, Laf more a goalscorer so that was why I put him 5th. I didn't factor team fit at all but I get the sens considering Faber in this case
Apr. 14 at 5:59 p.m.
Matt1567
Stuzle
Lafrenière
Faber
Byfield
Raymond
Neigbours
Sanderson
Jarvis
Guhle
JJP
Mercer
Quinn
Holtz

Neighbours over Jarvis is wild to me, Jarvis has really good metrics both offensively and defensively, genuinely could've gone #2 in my redraft but I think Raymond and Sanderson have a bit more potential than Jarvis
Apr. 14 at 6:14 p.m.
Prime Primeau

You know about Nikita Gusev. Dominate the KHL and didn’t do **** in the NHL
Apr. 14 at 6:24 p.m.

Nikishin age 21: 55 points in 65 KHL games
Nikishin age 22: 56 points in 67 KHL games
Gusev age 21: 14 points in 44 KHL games
Gusev age 22: 37 points in 55 KHL games

Nikishin at the same age had significantly better production despite being a dman
Apr. 14 at 6:37 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Matt1567
he's really good but until he comes over you can't say he's even 1st round worthy, I just put him there because of his KHL stats. If he never comes over anything above pick 200 for him is bad because ultimately you wasted a pick on a guy that never played in the NHL, and who cares if he's the KHL goat this is an NHL draft

Hahahaha what???? Umm the KHL is way beyond college hockey. And you've clearly never watched him play if you only included him because of stats. So if you have no clue what you're on about, why act surprised?

Nikishin is the #1 D prospect in the league, and will remain as such after the 24 draft. He's so far beyond Hutson, I'm astonished this conversation is really happening. And a silly hypothetical about him never coming over is just a huge reach.

And Hutson, at least to this point, should be nowhere near 8th in this class. Cmon.
Apr. 14 at 6:40 p.m.
mokumboi

What does that have to do with Nikishin? How many college greats wash out of the NHL? Way more than any KHL whatever.
Apr. 14 at 6:59 p.m.
Matt1567
Hahahaha what???? Umm the KHL is way beyond college hockey. And you've clearly never watched him play if you only included him because of stats. So if you have no clue what you're on about, why act surprised?

Nikishin is the #1 D prospect in the league, and will remain as such after the 24 draft. He's so far beyond Hutson, I'm astonished this conversation is really happening. And a silly hypothetical about him never coming over is just a huge reach.

And Hutson, at least to this point, should be nowhere near 8th in this class. Cmon.

my point is that if he never plays in the NHL, then he shouldn't be a high pick in redraft. Until he comes to the NHL and shows his abilities then you can't say for certain that he's better than someone who has. Vadim Shipachyov scored at a 1.5 points per game pace in the KHL the year before he came to NA and the 1st year Golden Knights tried to send him to the minors after 3 games, just because someone play good in a lesser league doesn't mean they'll succeed in the NHL too. I know that Nikishin could be a generational defenseman but until he comes to the NHL and shows it he's not one, and shouldn't redraft over guys that have proven to be solid NHL players. Say he comes over for next season (which I don't think he can) and is everything we expeceted him to be, then he'll shoot up the redrafts even more, but until he does in an NHL redraft any player yet to play in the NHL shouldn't be that highly ranked, especially when 27 players from the same class have already played a full season's worth of games, and roughly 75 have played at least once.

In terms of a redraft, regardless of what player X did outside of the NHL, a player who played 1 NHL game should in theory rank higher than one who hasn't played an NHL game, but since everyone being ranked in this scenario is still in their early 20's you can factor in the possibility of player X eventually coming over to the NHL. If you were to rank players based on their careers and ability, player X could rank higher than some guys who played a handful of NHL games and are career minor leaguers / euro league guys, but when all that matters is what the players did in the NHL, the guy that hasn't played there before won't rank highly compared to others that have, even if they only played one game and sucked, at least they had an NHL career.
Apr. 14 at 7:03 p.m.
Stuzle
Lafrenière
Faber
Byfield
Raymond
Neigbours
Sanderson
Jarvis
Guhle
JJP
Mercer
Quinn
Holtz

Terrible
Apr. 14 at 7:19 p.m.
mokumboi
my point is that if he never plays in the NHL, then he shouldn't be a high pick in redraft. Until he comes to the NHL and shows his abilities then you can't say for certain that he's better than someone who has. Vadim Shipachyov scored at a 1.5 points per game pace in the KHL the year before he came to NA and the 1st year Golden Knights tried to send him to the minors after 3 games, just because someone play good in a lesser league doesn't mean they'll succeed in the NHL too. I know that Nikishin could be a generational defenseman but until he comes to the NHL and shows it he's not one, and shouldn't redraft over guys that have proven to be solid NHL players. Say he comes over for next season (which I don't think he can) and is everything we expeceted him to be, then he'll shoot up the redrafts even more, but until he does in an NHL redraft any player yet to play in the NHL shouldn't be that highly ranked, especially when 27 players from the same class have already played a full season's worth of games, and roughly 75 have played at least once.

In terms of a redraft, regardless of what player X did outside of the NHL, a player who played 1 NHL game should in theory rank higher than one who hasn't played an NHL game, but since everyone being ranked in this scenario is still in their early 20's you can factor in the possibility of player X eventually coming over to the NHL. If you were to rank players based on their careers and ability, player X could rank higher than some guys who played a handful of NHL games and are career minor leaguers / euro league guys, but when all that matters is what the players did in the NHL, the guy that hasn't played there before won't rank highly compared to others that have, even if they only played one game and sucked, at least they had an NHL career.

Like I said, this whole if he never stuff has no basis in reality. He will be over. If that's all you have to rate him so low, I mean... yeah. Your "theory " has no relevance. Nikishin would go top 5, if not top 3. Easy.
Apr. 14 at 7:39 p.m.
Matt1567
Like I said, this whole if he never stuff has no basis in reality. He will be over. If that's all you have to rate him so low, I mean... yeah. Your "theory " has no relevance. Nikishin would go top 5, if not top 3. Easy.

I think he could easily be top 10 after one season, but in a draft where all that matters is what a player has done in the NHL, the guy that hasn't played yet won't be picked highly. I was mainly ranking these guys on what they've done since being drafted, factoring in potential a bit, and since some of the guys in this draft will have 5+ years of experience before Nikishin plays a game, the head start those players have boosts them above Nikishin in the retrospective rankings.
Apr. 14 at 8:00 p.m.
mokumboi
I think he could easily be top 10 after one season, but in a draft where all that matters is what a player has done in the NHL, the guy that hasn't played yet won't be picked highly. I was mainly ranking these guys on what they've done since being drafted, factoring in potential a bit, and since some of the guys in this draft will have 5+ years of experience before Nikishin plays a game, the head start those players have boosts them above Nikishin in the retrospective rankings.

Except what a player has accomplished in the NHL to date isn't all that matters unless the world is gonna end tomorrow.

And Nikishin's contact has one year left. In the right now, in a redraft, Nikishin is easy top 5. What has happened is far less important than what will happen from here.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll