Forums/Armchair-GM

Avs Devs

Created by: Anus_McLeod
Team: 2024-25 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 16, 2024
Published: Apr. 16, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Saw a Colton for Holtz trade from a Devils fan. I'm all for it on Colorado's side. I like Colton, but someone needs to go for cap space, and I think Colton is a candidate.

Added in Marino for Manson thinking that the Devils have their puck movers and get tougher, while the Avs get a replacement for Byram and then add some size via Kovacevic. Colorado adds imo, but I'm not sure what or if adding even does anything. Maybe this is a non-starter. Putting out a feeler, so please let me know.

Bottom six C is a question mark on the Avs side, but I still kinda love it for Colorado. The top nine looks great, and the defense looks good as well. Just need Fourgiev to return to what he was last season and/or Annunen needs to take the next step.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
2$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$5,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,850,000
Trades
NJD
  1. Colton, Ross
  2. Manson, Josh
Additional Details:
What can we add to get this done? Or is it just off the table?
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$87,667,084$0$907,500$32,916
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA
$12,600,000$12,600,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LW, C
RFA
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$896,250$896,250 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RW
RFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,250,000$7,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$837,500$837,500
G
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LD
RFA - 3
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$847,500$847,500
C
RFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 16 at 12:09 p.m.
It's an interesting idea.

But, as a fan of neither team, here are my thoughts:

1. The Avs move cap space

2. The Avs get younger

3. Arguably, the Avs with Holtz do get the best offensive player - albeit that has yet to be proven.

4. With Colton, the Devils do add a more physical element. Same with Manson.

5. With Colton, the Devils do add more flexibility in the middle 6 (specifically with Haula and Colton).

So, where one could see the possibility of this working for both sides; I would say that this current construct is far more beneficial to the Avs.

Therefore...... something I think maybe missing. Perhaps a conditional pick? It really is the Holtz factor. If he realizes his potential, this is a slam dunk of a home run deal.for the Avs..... and I don't see Fitzgerald allowing that to happen. What this is, is a good ole fashioned hockey deal in the making which adds elements to both line ups..... but the Avs are simply missing something in that package for me.
Apr. 16 at 12:19 p.m.
Quoting: swinny
It's an interesting idea.

But, as a fan of neither team, here are my thoughts:

1. The Avs move cap space

2. The Avs get younger

3. Arguably, the Avs with Holtz do get the best offensive player - albeit that has yet to be proven.

4. With Colton, the Devils do add a more physical element. Same with Manson.

5. With Colton, the Devils do add more flexibility in the middle 6 (specifically with Haula and Colton).

So, where one could see the possibility of this working for both sides; I would say that this current construct is far more beneficial to the Avs.

Therefore...... something I think maybe missing. Perhaps a conditional pick? It really is the Holtz factor. If he realizes his potential, this is a slam dunk of a home run deal.for the Avs..... and I don't see Fitzgerald allowing that to happen. What this is, is a good ole fashioned hockey deal in the making which adds elements to both line ups..... but the Avs are simply missing something in that package for me.

Well laid out comment. I agree with pretty much everything here, including that Colorado adds.

I also really like the suggestion of a conditional pick. Something based on whether Holtz pops makes sense. Would need to think more about what that might look like, but the logic is sound.
HockeyManiac95, swinny and TJTwolf liked this.
Apr. 16 at 12:29 p.m.
So from an NJ Standpoint, I'm fine with the shakeup of getting rid of Marino since we have too many RHD's and I do love Colton's play but I definitely value Marino higher. He's a legit top 4 shutdown dman who can provide a little offense here and there. Marino also goes through random stretches where he's dominant but not consistently enough to be considered a game breaker. Colton on the other hand is a 3rd line guy who provides grit with a pinch of offense. NJ doesn't really have a use for Manson since they're so deep at RHD and are really only seeking a shutdown LD that fits in the top 4 and I'd move Siegenthaler for that but it has to be a longterm viable replacement option or I'd just run with Siegenthaler again and hope his issues last year were just some mild struggles amidst the bigger team issues. That being said, Colorado adds if its just the Marino for Colton and I don't think Holtz is on the table unless its a top 6 version of Colton or a Legit 1A to elite goaltender. NJ would add it it was either of those.
Anus_McLeod liked this.
Apr. 16 at 12:30 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Feels to me like the avs would have to add significantly, especially because of their cap crunch.

I like Colton but NJD shouldn’t be paying more than Colorado paid, which was a 2nd.

And I don’t think I’d want to get older in a Marino for Manson swap.

Imo at minimum a 1st would have to come back to NJD for us to accept, but I’d rather just offer a 2nd+4th for Colton and keep it simple
Apr. 16 at 12:36 p.m.
and proud of it
Not bad. I personally prefer to keep Manson but hey Marino would be a fine replacement. Yes, Colorado definitely adds at least a 3rd or so. I do have a couple grievances against this lineup tho. For one, I don't think Drouin touches that deal...at least not the term. Maybe he does a bridge deal with that but no way he does that money for 4 years. Secondly, you're assuming a lot goes well with Ritchie taking 3C right away, and idk about Kovalenko at center. Am open to trying him there tho
Apr. 16 at 12:44 p.m.
Quoting: YeahDudeitsChris
So from an NJ Standpoint, I'm fine with the shakeup of getting rid of Marino since we have too many RHD's and I do love Colton's play but I definitely value Marino higher. He's a legit top 4 shutdown dman who can provide a little offense here and there. Marino also goes through random stretches where he's dominant but not consistently enough to be considered a game breaker. Colton on the other hand is a 3rd line guy who provides grit with a pinch of offense. NJ doesn't really have a use for Manson since they're so deep at RHD and are really only seeking a shutdown LD that fits in the top 4 and I'd move Siegenthaler for that but it has to be a longterm viable replacement option or I'd just run with Siegenthaler again and hope his issues last year were just some mild struggles amidst the bigger team issues. That being said, Colorado adds if its just the Marino for Colton and I don't think Holtz is on the table unless its a top 6 version of Colton or a Legit 1A to elite goaltender. NJ would add it it was either of those.

Yeah I can see holding onto Holtz for a larger deal. I made a Devils ACGM (not published), and I like the looks of it. Looks very balanced and there is the added benefit of having Manson's deal off the books when Nemec gets his raise. But I get your point.

Quoting: dgibb10
Feels to me like the avs would have to add significantly, especially because of their cap crunch.

I like Colton but NJD shouldn’t be paying more than Colorado paid, which was a 2nd.

And I don’t think I’d want to get older in a Marino for Manson swap.

Imo at minimum a 1st would have to come back to NJD for us to accept, but I’d rather just offer a 2nd+4th for Colton and keep it simple

What do you think Holtz is worth at this point? He obviously has potential, but there is quite a bit of risk there too. I am having a tough time valuing him with those factors.

I could maybe add a 1st, but it would have to be conditional on Holtz popping. Not sure what the conditions would be for that, but it's too risky to add a first if there wasn't some downgrade in the pick if he doesn't start to produce.
dgibb10 liked this.
Apr. 16 at 1:13 p.m.
I’d just keep it simple…Colton for Holtz. Maybe a pick swap added if anything.
Anus_McLeod liked this.
Apr. 16 at 1:17 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I’d just keep it simple…Colton for Holtz. Maybe a pick swap added if anything.

Deal. But can we also do another simple one with Manson for Marino with a pick swap or something, lol.smirk
Apr. 16 at 1:42 p.m.
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
Deal. But can we also do another simple one with Manson for Marino with a pick swap or something, lol.smirk

Stick with bird-in-hand
dgibb10 and Anus_McLeod liked this.
Apr. 16 at 4:19 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
Yeah I can see holding onto Holtz for a larger deal. I made a Devils ACGM (not published), and I like the looks of it. Looks very balanced and there is the added benefit of having Manson's deal off the books when Nemec gets his raise. But I get your point.

What do you think Holtz is worth at this point? He obviously has potential, but there is quite a bit of risk there too. I am having a tough time valuing him with those factors.

I could maybe add a 1st, but it would have to be conditional on Holtz popping. Not sure what the conditions would be for that, but it's too risky to add a first if there wasn't some downgrade in the pick if he doesn't start to produce.

I value Holtz equivalent to our 2025 1st+2025 2nd or so when throwing him into trades, but I wouldn't trade him for a package of picks.

In terms of NJD assets:

Mercer>2024 1st>Holtz>Marino>Casey>Siegs>2025 1st>Gritysuk>2nd>Bahl>3rd or something along those lines is how I value them.

Yeah fair enough. I expect NJD to give Holtz 1 more year unless a blowaway trade occurs with a team who values him significantly.

I very much like the idea of Colton, but feels like he would be a guy who I'd acquire with a pick, not a Holtz.
Anus_McLeod liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll