Forums/Armchair-GM

Way Too Early Look At Next Season

Created by: edeangel84
Team: 2024-25 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 17, 2024
Published: Apr. 20, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Note: I don’t expect these trades to happen but I think they are fair to each team.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$925,000
3$900,000
3$1,850,000
2$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,750,000
1$900,000
1$2,500,000
3$950,000
1$950,000
6$4,350,000
Trades
PIT
    Waivers
    PIT
      Waivers
      PIT
      1. Drury, Jack [RFA Rights]
      CAR
      1. Gruden, Jonathan [RFA Rights]
      2. Joseph, Pierre-Olivier [RFA Rights]
      3. 2026 4th round pick (PIT)
      PIT
      1. Broberg, Philip [RFA Rights]
      2. Lachance, Shane [Reserve List]
      EDM
      1. Poulin, Samuel [RFA Rights]
      2. Rathbone, Jack [RFA Rights]
      3. 2025 5th round pick (PIT)
      PIT
      1. Abruzzese, Nick
      2. 2024 4th round pick (TOR)
      TOR
      1. Eller, Lars ($550,000 retained)
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the NYR
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the SJS
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$87,700,000$87,412,676$0$0$287,324
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $8,700,000$8,700,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 1
      $5,125,000$5,125,000
      RW, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $5,750,000$5,750,000
      LW, RW
      UFA
      $6,100,000$6,100,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 2
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $925,000$925,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $4,350,000$4,350,000
      C, LW, RW
      UFA
      $925,000$925,000
      RW, LW
      UFA
      $950,000$950,000
      LW, C
      UFA
      $1,850,000$1,850,000
      C
      RFA
      $900,000$900,000
      RW, LW
      RFA
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $4,025,175$4,025,175
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $10,000,000$10,000,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      G
      UFA
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 5
      $6,100,000$6,100,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $5,375,000$5,375,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $925,000$925,000
      LD
      RFA
      $900,000$900,000
      RD
      RFA
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $950,000$950,000
      RD
      UFA
      $900,000$900,000
      LD
      UFA
      $800,000$800,000
      RW
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Apr. 20 at 10:22 a.m.
      mokumboi
      Well, EDM and CAR are definitely not going to find those trades fair.
      joek, OldNYIfan and PurpleHippo liked this.
      Apr. 20 at 10:26 a.m.
      I would way rather have Accari as our 4c, than drury plus we would have to lose poj and more because that trade would not be accepted by Carolina. People seem to think accari is bad because he doesn’t get points but he is very good for his role
      Apr. 20 at 10:31 a.m.
      SkateOrDie
      you going to sign a 30 year old 3C to a 6 year deal for what reason?
      Someone else can do something that stupid the penguins don't need to be involved.
      The Ruzicka signing. Who signs a guy like that for 3 years?

Some of these trades are suspect at best.
      Eller trade to TOR, you get nothing back and you are retaining. No way they are giving Eller away and retaining on him for a 4th and a 24 year old AHL player.

That EDM trade as well. Nothing there of any interest.
      Apr. 20 at 10:32 a.m.
      EDM scoffs in indignation at your proposal.
      mokumboi, joek, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
      Apr. 20 at 10:35 a.m.
      Quoting: natep12
      I would way rather have Accari as our 4c, than drury plus we would have to lose poj and more because that trade would not be accepted by Carolina. People seem to think accari is bad because he doesn’t get points but he is very good for his role

Most people dislike Acciari because Dubas overpaid for him, like many of his other moves.

I agree the canes pass
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Apr. 20 at 10:43 a.m.
      JimmyPaek
      Quoting: mokumboi
      Well, EDM and CAR are definitely not going to find those trades fair.

Poulin and Broberg are in the same camp as fair as where their career is. Drury is slightly ahead of POJ, but it’s not a massive margin.
      Apr. 20 at 10:44 a.m.
      JimmyPaek
      Quoting: natep12

You can find a 4C who plays that role for a million less.
      Apr. 20 at 11:12 a.m.
      Quoting: ecupirate07
      Most people dislike Acciari because Dubas overpaid for him, like many of his other moves.

I agree the canes pass

i thought kyle gave him a fair contract its just he doesnt really fit in PIT. he played slow, didnt really establish himself physically, didnt spend much time forchecking and pressuring in the offensive zone. based on his past production and toolset, 2 mil was reasonable. sometimes the player just doesnt fit, and cookie didnt fit.

also, yeah the drury trade stinks, among other things. 5/6 year deals probably arent being handed out to any free agent this offseason. 3 years at the most i would imagine.
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Apr. 20 at 11:20 a.m.
      mokumboi
      Quoting: edeangel84
      Poulin and Broberg are in the same camp as fair as where their career is. Drury is slightly ahead of POJ, but it’s not a massive margin.

Poulin and Broberg are not comparable, Broberg is a far better skater with a considerably higher ceiling.
      Ausbear17 and OldNYIfan liked this.
      Apr. 20 at 11:20 a.m.
      You can find a 4C who plays that role for a million less.

washington had been shopping nic dowd at the deadline and hes about as defensively responsible as it gets, and he chipped in 10 goals, so im sure they would take offers on him this offseason. theres also the russian kid ponomarev that they acquired in the guentzel trade. so theres 2 options.

also, what the heck are they gonna do with graves? cant possibly keep him. the team defensively was better without him, and that defensive squad still sucked. id entertain a buyout unless someone willfully took his contract at 1.5 retention and a mid round pick. but in either case, whatever his trade value is, they cannot run it back with him. not even at 3rd pair.
      Apr. 20 at 11:40 a.m.
      Oilers Hater
      Oilers will hopefully pass on that terrible trade.
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Apr. 20 at 12:21 p.m.
      JimmyPaek
      Quoting: mokumboi
      Poulin and Broberg are not comparable, Broberg is a far better skater with a considerably higher ceiling.

Based off skating alone he has a higher ceiling? Neither of them have shown they are capable of looking down a full time NHL spot.
      Apr. 20 at 12:22 p.m.
      JimmyPaek
      Quoting: cwhitney29
      washington had been shopping nic dowd at the deadline and hes about as defensively responsible as it gets, and he chipped in 10 goals, so im sure they would take offers on him this offseason. theres also the russian kid ponomarev that they acquired in the guentzel trade. so theres 2 options.

also, what the heck are they gonna do with graves? cant possibly keep him. the team defensively was better without him, and that defensive squad still sucked. id entertain a buyout unless someone willfully took his contract at 1.5 retention and a mid round pick. but in either case, whatever his trade value is, they cannot run it back with him. not even at 3rd pair.

We will keep him because he did improve in 2024. He stared off absolutely awful. To dump him now would cost us a fortune that we can’t afford.
      Apr. 20 at 12:24 p.m.
      JimmyPaek

I agree the canes pass

The trade basically comes down to Drury and POJ. I’m saying the difference between them is at most a 3rd and a mid range prospect. You guys will need Dman with all the UFAs you have. POJ is a cheap 3rd LHD option.
      Apr. 20 at 12:32 p.m.
      The trade basically comes down to Drury and POJ. I’m saying the difference between them is at most a 3rd and a mid range prospect. You guys will need Dman with all the UFAs you have. POJ is a cheap 3rd LHD option.

POJ is okay. Don’t really think he is worth moving Drury for. We can likely get a POJ equivalent in FA although we are likely going to want someone better to help Morrow’s transition
      Apr. 20 at 1:16 p.m.
      JimmyPaek
      POJ is okay. Don’t really think he is worth moving Drury for. We can likely get a POJ equivalent in FA although we are likely going to want someone better to help Morrow’s transition

The issue with UFAs are they are older. It’s the same problem we have with a 3C. I think Drury could be a 3C but right now he’s a safe 4C. I’ll admit POJ’s probably near his ceiling, that is around 20 points for a season and a 3rd pairing guy. Drury could be a 45-50 point guy but unless you guys move KK, I don’t see why you’d want to keep Drury if you can add a younger Dman. UFAs are going to be around 30 years old. Is Morrow going to be a full time NHLer next year? I can’t see that happening until later in the season.
      Apr. 20 at 1:22 p.m.
      JimmyPaek
      Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck
      you going to sign a 30 year old 3C to a 6 year deal for what reason?
      Someone else can do something that stupid the penguins don't need to be involved.
      The Ruzicka signing. Who signs a guy like that for 3 years?

Some of these trades are suspect at best.
      Eller trade to TOR, you get nothing back and you are retaining. No way they are giving Eller away and retaining on him for a 4th and a 24 year old AHL player.

That EDM trade as well. Nothing there of any interest.

What’s the other option for a 3C upgrade? All UFAs are in and around 30. Monohan and Lindholm are the only good options and they’re going to get long term deals from someone. It doesn’t matter what is happening in 3 years time when this team will be one of the worst in the league. What’s wrong with gambling on a 24 year old forward for a cheap contract? If he isn’t any good he goes on waivers, nothing lost. I have no issue keeping Eller. I’m simply looking for options to bring in younger forwards.
      Apr. 20 at 1:33 p.m.
      Broberg is 2 years younger and has shown much better progression towards a NHL spot, Rathbone borderline doesn't get signed in EDM.
      This isn't close.
      Apr. 20 at 1:41 p.m.
      JimmyPaek
      Quoting: PurpleHippo
      Broberg is 2 years younger and has shown much better progression towards a NHL spot, Rathbone borderline doesn't get signed in EDM.
      This isn't close.

Poulin and Broberg are the main pieces of the trade, same draft class and age.
      Apr. 20 at 1:49 p.m.
      Poulin and Broberg are the main pieces of the trade, same draft class and age.

Apologies, but it still doesn't make sense.
      We have an abundance of forwards and need to focus our defense, I would also still say the value is off by quite a bit.
      Apr. 20 at 2:02 p.m.
      JimmyPaek
      Quoting: PurpleHippo
      Apologies, but it still doesn't make sense.
      We have an abundance of forwards and need to focus our defense, I would also still say the value is off by quite a bit.

So is Broberg going to be a full time player there next year? Because I’m not convinced he’s going to be an NHL player, hence why Poulin was offered up. I don’t see either one of them amounting to much.
      Apr. 20 at 2:41 p.m.
      So is Broberg going to be a full time player there next year? Because I’m not convinced he’s going to be an NHL player, hence why Poulin was offered up. I don’t see either one of them amounting to much.

Broberg is likely our 3LHD next season, he was also ready for that spot but with us acquiring Ekholm last year it bumped him out of rotation.
      He's also 22, we rushed him initially which was REALLY stupid cause it stunted him. After a couple seasons of consistent AHL play he has developed really well and looks way more confident.

Not saying he's coming in and being a #1 on day one but at this point trading him isn't worth it unless a team massively overpays or generously fills in other gaps in our lineup.
      Apr. 20 at 3:49 p.m.
      SkateOrDie
      What’s the other option for a 3C upgrade? All UFAs are in and around 30. Monohan and Lindholm are the only good options and they’re going to get long term deals from someone. It doesn’t matter what is happening in 3 years time when this team will be one of the worst in the league. What’s wrong with gambling on a 24 year old forward for a cheap contract? If he isn’t any good he goes on waivers, nothing lost. I have no issue keeping Eller. I’m simply looking for options to bring in younger forwards.

why do you always have to look out for what is sitting in house?
      Why can no one trust the youth on this team and always put it down?
      They just signed Broz. Poulin looked good in the whole 3 games management gave him. Instead we get Pustinen and a whole lot of excuses because the front office has issues with the kid and refuses to give him a chance when he's clearly out played the AHL.
      they just traded for a center as well in the Guentzel trade.
      Not to mention Yager is looking NHL ready.
      I mean lets be clear on it, next year is play Yager or he goes back to the CHL where he has nothing to gain from.

Lets stop looking all over when we know the market is dead and make bad decisions for the team that aren't fixable when there are options in house that can bring this team the things it needs.
      It also does matter what happens in 3 years. Lets not pretend they can't use that cap space to gain assets. They can. Rather than simply signing bad contracts.

As for the Eller trade, what's the point of just giving him away. If you want to trade him fine. But Eller with retention and getting nothing back is a horrible move. A 24 year old AHLer is basically a bad bet. Especially from a team that isn't shy about playing it's young players unlike the penguins. If he could play he'd have games by now.
      Apr. 20 at 4:41 p.m.
      mokumboi
      Based off skating alone he has a higher ceiling? Neither of them have shown they are capable of looking down a full time NHL spot.

That's not what I said, those were two separate things he has well above Poulin. But sure, being a + skater is going to raise a ceiling far over a - skater even if everything else was equal.

And everything else is not equal. Broberg has significantly more promise than Poulin.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll