Forums/Armchair-GM

Capitals make the move for the future and get younger

Created by: Logicalicesports
Team: 2024-25 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 26, 2024
Published: Apr. 26, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As much as I don't like Sammy, he could be a decent back up for Charlie.

Other moves made to get younger and at the same time try and stay semi competitive.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$1,250,000
1$900,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
Trades
WSH
  1. Wahlstrom, Oliver [RFA Rights]
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (NYI)
  3. 2025 7th round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. Milano, Sonny
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
WSH
  1. Grebyonkin, Nikita [Reserve List]
TOR
  1. van Riemsdyk, Trevor
  2. 2025 5th round pick (CHI)
COL
  1. Kuemper, Darcy ($1,250,000 retained)
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (BOS)
WSH
  1. Zegras, Trevor
Additional Details:
as much as I personally do not like Zegras. He is the right age and skill level we need to target.
ANA
  1. Iorio, Vincent
  2. McMichael, Connor [RFA Rights]
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
The Ducks get a promising winger/center who has played on the Caps first line majority of the season, and a promising RHD prospect along with a third for someone who has been demoted down the line up and needs to find a new home.
WSH
  1. Huuhtanen, Niko [Reserve List]
  2. 2025 3rd round pick (TBL)
Additional Details:
Caps get a former 7th rounder back that has shown some good development in Europe.
TBL
  1. Shepard, Hunter
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
Sheps been good to us but he needs a chance to be a legit back up in the league. Also Stevenson needs to be able to be the starter in Hersey to further develop. Tampa gets a guy who has proven he can play in the NHL as a back up and is on a dirt cheap contract which they need for the time being.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$81,453,333$2,252,500$1,195,000$6,046,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LW
RFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,375,000$3,375,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
RFA
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$445,000$445K)
C
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RW
RFA
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
RFA
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,675,000$2,675,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD
UFA - 5
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,062,500$2,062,500
RD
UFA - 1
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 26 at 2:09 p.m.
Quoting: Logicalicesports
Avs will be in a tight cap constraint and they will most likely get rid of their current goaltending situation with how poor it has been in the playoffs. If they lose in the first round they will definitely be looking to make a change in net.

Making a change in net might very well happen but thinking Kuemper and a third nets a top 4 dman is a massive joke, you didn’t think that one through at all. They let Kuemper walk a year ago but somehow they are now going to take him back after his play has suffered to the point of being pushed to the back up role and to do so give up a 25yr old top 4 dman. Bro that’s just silly.
TJTwolf liked this.
Apr. 26 at 2:10 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Strome is a 60-70 point center in his prime setting up Ovechkin, Zegras put up 60+ in his rookie and sophomore seasons on what anyone could consider rather bad teams, and he just turned 23 last month. Claiming that Z is only a 60-70 point center when that's what he was able to do his first two years in the league is intellectually dishonest, there's still plenty of upside to unfold.

What would you compare Zegras to? I want to gauge what the thought is for his Prime. I am thinking spitting image of Kuznetsov. I want to understand where you think he will be in terms of career success
All_Knowing liked this.
Apr. 26 at 2:10 p.m.
Skip skibbity
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I will never, ever understand why guys will trade for a player that they themselves define as a #1C and then say that they wouldn't trade an unsigned prospect for him, but two kids with modest NHL experience characterized as "promising" are sufficient. Ever.

They must be thrilled that they got the next Connor Bedard at 8 overall. I guess we should have taken him instead of Leo.

Nobody said he's Connor Bedard, good lord. But after watching him at BC this year, I wouldn't trade him for anybody not named McDavid, Kucherov, or Matthews. At least until we see what he is in the NHL first. Leonard is the best prospect we've had since Forsberg, and that trade is arguably one of the worst in NHL history. So please forgive us for being a little skiddish about moving him lmao.
Apr. 26 at 2:13 p.m.
Quoting: Xqb15a
Making a change in net might very well happen but thinking Kuemper and a third nets a top 4 dman is a massive joke, you didn’t think that one through at all. They let Kuemper walk a year ago but somehow they are now going to take him back after his play has suffered to the point of being pushed to the back up role and to do so give up a 25yr old top 4 dman. Bro that’s just silly.

Well again the Cap issue is the only way I see something like this happening. Its not his value but the fact that the Avs will need to move someone out. His value is absolutely higher than what I am showing but I am also focusing on the fact that someone will be forced out of Denver and I cannot see them trading Manson, Colton or any of the other big name roster players that are locked up
Apr. 26 at 2:14 p.m.
Ridiculously easy no for the Avs and it's not even close.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 26 at 2:19 p.m.
Skip skibbity
Strome is a 60-70 point center in his prime setting up Ovechkin, Zegras put up 60+ in his rookie and sophomore seasons on what anyone could consider rather bad teams, and he just turned 23 last month. Claiming that Z is only a 60-70 point center when that's what he was able to do his first two years in the league is intellectually dishonest, there's still plenty of upside to unfold.

Again, I'm not trying to directly compare the two here. I'm well aware of their ages, who they play with, all that jazz. But that's how I would view it because frankly, I wouldn't want to come close to giving up the value that would be needed to trade for Zegras. Amazing player, but he's not worth mortgaging the future of a franchise for. And that's what Leonard is at the moment.

Sidenote, Strome really mostly played with Ovi on the PP this season, which was awful. Ovi's center this year for a majority of the time was McMichael. Stromer bounced around between the middle six wingers for a majority of the year and actually really showed that he can drive play on his own, which was a pleasant surprise. Didn't see much of that last season.
Apr. 26 at 2:21 p.m.
Skip skibbity
Honestly the caps should take a filer on Wahlstrom. Kid needs a change in scenery and he will be great. But yeah the rest is a shot in the dark

I don't hate the idea, but you could probably get him for like a 4th, no?
Apr. 26 at 2:47 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
What would you compare Zegras to? I want to gauge what the thought is for his Prime. I am thinking spitting image of Kuznetsov. I want to understand where you think he will be in terms of career success

There's a flyers fan named @SpiderSpiderSpider28 who did a great deep dive into Zegras' first two seasons in the league and who his trajectory is comparable with linked Here (Many thanks to Spider for putting this together)

With some context in place, is Zegras ever going to eclipse the players on that list? No, likely not, but he can have similar careers to some of them, such as Point, Larkin, and maybe Aho. Point has had the benefit of playing on largely very good teams with tons of star talent, Larkin has suffered through a long drought in Detroit, and Aho has also been on largely good teams. There's no reason to believe Zegras won't become a PPG top 6 play driver through his peak. He's never going to win a Selkie, but he's patched up a lot of the holes in his defensive game this season. A player he could end up a lot like us Artemi Panarin. Yeah, Panarins rookie numbers were better, but he also entered the league at 24 years old and stepped right onto a Blackhawks team that had just established itself as a dynasty at the time. If Zegras was playing with prime Kane and Toews, could he put up 70+ pts? Yeah, I'd say he would.

I figured the worst case scenario is he's Phil Kessel, not the kind of player you build your team around, but the kind of elite complimentary player that those core players need to really elevate their game. (Guess you could level similar accusations at Panarin)

And as far as his importance to team scoring goes, the Ducks scored less goals this season than we did last season, despite having Vatrano go wild with 37 goals, as well as adding Leo Carlson, Pavel Mintyukov, Olen Zellweger, and Alex Killorn to the roster this year. Zegras' absence was hugely noticed this season, he's one of the main drivers of our offense.

So we've got a 23 year old forward who has elite talent, who generates a ton of offense on a team that massively struggles on it without him, and we have a spot for him in our top 6 to probably play with McTavish and Terry next season.
Apr. 26 at 2:49 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: BoringBrianMacLellan
Again, I'm not trying to directly compare the two here. I'm well aware of their ages, who they play with, all that jazz. But that's how I would view it because frankly, I wouldn't want to come close to giving up the value that would be needed to trade for Zegras. Amazing player, but he's not worth mortgaging the future of a franchise for. And that's what Leonard is at the moment.

Sidenote, Strome really mostly played with Ovi on the PP this season, which was awful. Ovi's center this year for a majority of the time was McMichael. Stromer bounced around between the middle six wingers for a majority of the year and actually really showed that he can drive play on his own, which was a pleasant surprise. Didn't see much of that last season.

And Zegras is the future of our franchise, which is why we'd demand a high price to extract him.
Apr. 26 at 3:01 p.m.
Quoting: BoringBrianMacLellan

He was forced to drive play because he was playing with horrible wingers most of the time lol
Apr. 26 at 3:14 p.m.
There's a flyers fan named SpiderSpiderSpider28 who did a great deep dive into Zegras' first two seasons in the league and who his trajectory is comparable with linked Here (Many thanks to Spider for putting this together)

With some context in place, is Zegras ever going to eclipse the players on that list? No, likely not, but he can have similar careers to some of them, such as Point, Larkin, and maybe Aho. Point has had the benefit of playing on largely very good teams with tons of star talent, Larkin has suffered through a long drought in Detroit, and Aho has also been on largely good teams. There's no reason to believe Zegras won't become a PPG top 6 play driver through his peak. He's never going to win a Selkie, but he's patched up a lot of the holes in his defensive game this season. A player he could end up a lot like us Artemi Panarin. Yeah, Panarins rookie numbers were better, but he also entered the league at 24 years old and stepped right onto a Blackhawks team that had just established itself as a dynasty at the time. If Zegras was playing with prime Kane and Toews, could he put up 70+ pts? Yeah, I'd say he would.

I figured the worst case scenario is he's Phil Kessel, not the kind of player you build your team around, but the kind of elite complimentary player that those core players need to really elevate their game. (Guess you could level similar accusations at Panarin)

And as far as his importance to team scoring goes, the Ducks scored less goals this season than we did last season, despite having Vatrano go wild with 37 goals, as well as adding Leo Carlson, Pavel Mintyukov, Olen Zellweger, and Alex Killorn to the roster this year. Zegras' absence was hugely noticed this season, he's one of the main drivers of our offense.

So we've got a 23 year old forward who has elite talent, who generates a ton of offense on a team that massively struggles on it without him, and we have a spot for him in our top 6 to probably play with McTavish and Terry next season.

So would you consider him your future star over guys like Carlsson and McTavish? I feel like both of those guys are on his level and if not better. (Carlsson it may be too soon to tell but he seems to be legit) I am interested to see who gets priced out in the future because you will end up have a ton of players making over league average and probably will end up in a position much like the leafs how they are soaking so much money into 5 guys
Apr. 26 at 3:18 p.m.
Well again the Cap issue is the only way I see something like this happening. Its not his value but the fact that the Avs will need to move someone out. His value is absolutely higher than what I am showing but I am also focusing on the fact that someone will be forced out of Denver and I cannot see them trading Manson, Colton or any of the other big name roster players that are locked up

You aren’t thinking this through. You have COL trading a top 4 dman in less than 6 months after they traded another, to acquire a goalie they let walk for a 3rd and $1.5 in cap space. Granted you didn’t do the flip side but then you assume they prefer an older worse performing Kuemper and still have to move Georgiev and then have to fill another top 4 d spot, how is that working cap wise? It isn’t. Maybe COL even moves Girard, highly doubtful but let’s roll with it, they aren’t taking back $3.5M in salary cap if they do. That’s why your cap situation explanation makes no sense COL gets significantly more benefit out of trading someone like Girard for pure futures so they have money to spend on something worth while ie Mittlestadt extension and pocket future assets that are usable in trade. Beside as bad as Georgie has been Kuemper isn’t Girard better than him. Really flawed logic.
TJTwolf liked this.
Apr. 26 at 3:22 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
So would you consider him your future star over guys like Carlsson and McTavish? I feel like both of those guys are on his level and if not better. (Carlsson it may be too soon to tell but he seems to be legit) I am interested to see who gets priced out in the future because you will end up have a ton of players making over league average and probably will end up in a position much like the leafs how they are soaking so much money into 5 guys

I would counter with our GM isn't an idiot who is going to walk guys to free agency and hand out trade protection, but only time will tell on that. As far as the players, they all bring something different. Verbeek has commented that he wants Carlson and Gauthier to play on the PK next season to make the opposing teams risk adverse for fear of a short handed goal. McTavish has that dog in him and the "follow me" factor, he's probably the next captain, though he's got some time before he's ready. Leo is probably out 1C going forward, and while he was 6'3" while drafted, he's reportedly still growing and should end up around 6'6". That size, vision, it'll be like having a Getzlaf that can actually skate. We've got a bright future ahead, and we can worry about paying guys when their contracts come due.

However if Verbeek was actually interested in moving Zegras, last off-season was the time to do it coming off back to back 60 point seasons.
Apr. 26 at 3:28 p.m.
I would counter with our GM isn't an idiot who is going to walk guys to free agency and hand out trade protection, but only time will tell on that. As far as the players, they all bring something different. Verbeek has commented that he wants Carlson and Gauthier to play on the PK next season to make the opposing teams risk adverse for fear of a short handed goal. McTavish has that dog in him and the "follow me" factor, he's probably the next captain, though he's got some time before he's ready. Leo is probably out 1C going forward, and while he was 6'3" while drafted, he's reportedly still growing and should end up around 6'6". That size, vision, it'll be like having a Getzlaf that can actually skate. We've got a bright future ahead, and we can worry about paying guys when their contracts come due.

However if Verbeek was actually interested in moving Zegras, last off-season was the time to do it coming off back to back 60 point seasons.

I agree with what you are saying there.

His value could come back up past that again, But it all depends on him and his work ethic going forward. I don't really follow the ducks so I don't know what his work ethic is like but I have heard some pretty shady stories (all from media so I dont know if they are true) that made it sound like hockey wasn't his main priority for a period of the beginning of this past season
Apr. 26 at 3:34 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
I agree with what you are saying there.

His value could come back up past that again, But it all depends on him and his work ethic going forward. I don't really follow the ducks so I don't know what his work ethic is like but I have heard some pretty shady stories (all from media so I dont know if they are true) that made it sound like hockey wasn't his main priority for a period of the beginning of this past season

I really don't know why the sudden switch from golden child to public enemy number 1 in the media seemingly overnight, my only assumption is that now that Bedard exists he's the media darling, but I would have figured that just lessened the spotlight, not turned him into a lepper. The Seattle broadcast was particularly disgusting when he broke the camera in the penalty box, like he was the first guy who ever did that. The double standard he's being treated with these days is puzzling to be sure.

The end of the day, it was a lost season for him, but when he was on the ice, he towed the line, he worked on his defensive side of the game, he got his coaches praise, and the love of his team mates. He'll be a Duck next season unless we get an offer we can't refuse, and I think he's going to put up over 70 points next season and have a relatively flat +- on the season.
Apr. 26 at 3:37 p.m.
I really don't know why the sudden switch from golden child to public enemy number 1 in the media seemingly overnight, my only assumption is that now that Bedard exists he's the media darling, but I would have figured that just lessened the spotlight, not turned him into a lepper. The Seattle broadcast was particularly disgusting when he broke the camera in the penalty box, like he was the first guy who ever did that. The double standard he's being treated with these days is puzzling to be sure.

The end of the day, it was a lost season for him, but when he was on the ice, he towed the line, he worked on his defensive side of the game, he got his coaches praise, and the love of his team mates. He'll be a Duck next season unless we get an offer we can't refuse, and I think he's going to put up over 70 points next season and have a relatively flat +- on the season.

For his sake hopefully you are correct. With the way you discussed the media and image I wonder if he will become the next PLD? IF he ever gets dealt it would be interesting to compare the two

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll