SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

Apr. 28 at 11:44 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
This group just doesn’t want it bad enough… It’s obvious to everyone

I don’t fault Reaves for the 1rst goal, as if that was the difference maker, you have more issue with your team

It’s looks like a bunch of players are either sick (Matthews) or just don’t care enough to win, they couldn’t be bothered. Then you have your 3 best players chirping each other on the bench to really seal the chaos happening.

Extremely disappointing from this team, it’s definitely a new low for me, hopefully they make enough changes and improvements to this team where they can come back better next year, age 27 for Matthews BTW, 27 for Marner and 28 (I believe) for Nylander

I think they want to win. And personally I think they are doing what they are told and it's just not working. They do the same thing every year under Keefe. Every year it's the same thing, the team can't score and gets scored on too much. They are never prepared and they don't adjust. Keefe sucks.
Apr. 28 at 11:46 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Saskleaf
Genuinely thought with the new “playoff style editions” would be the difference maker. And they’ve been pretty good (a few dumb penalties). It’s the core not being able to score that’s the problem. There is no justification for not trading Marner and maybe Tavares (although no one is taking John Tavares, even for free, so that’s why it’s probably better just to ride out the last year of his contract).

PS: as much as it needs to happen that we trade Marner, I’m fully expecting them to resign him. This is the same crap we’ve seen year in and year out. I’m so sick of it.

It's everyone not being able to score. Marner and Matthews have produced as much as anyone else has. The "playoff additions" have done nothing. No one has been a difference maker so far beyond Matthews in game 2. And now he's sick or hurt. Nylander isn't 100% and Marner isn't either. But no one healthy or not has made an impact. Domi has been pretty good but what's he done without Matthews? What has Bertuzzi done?

Our playoff defenceman additions? Nothing.
Apr. 28 at 11:51 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Messier99
Leafs had the decision to make a year ago.
1) Dump the core 3 or 4 and rebuild, or
2) Re-sign the core 3, almost guarantee they will be the 3 highest scorers in Leafs history, and accept that there will be little to no playoff success.

Now all have No Trade Clauses. The decision was made - now we live with it. Enjoy the regular season - after all, it's longer than the playoffs.

These 3 players (Matthews, Marner and Nylander) are too good to not perform in the playoffs. Get rid of the coaching staff. They all have to go.

The opposing coach in the playoffs sees what TO does all season and just doesn't give them what they want. Keefe doesn't change anything. Defensively they see how we defend and design a system to attack it and Keefe again doesn't change anything.

Sammy allows 3 goals a game in the playoffs. 21 games now 3+ GAA. This was all predictable.
Apr. 28 at 11:53 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
The silver lining with this early playoff exit is that we still have our 1st round pick and have the potential to walk away from the draft with a pretty good defenseman/center

I think a coach who can implement younger players into the lineup is needed. Cowan, Minten, Niemela, Timmins and Liljegren all need a coach who can develop young players. Keefe can't.

Next year is going to be tough to navigate because JT but the season after is going to be much easier. Find a coach who can work with young players and maybe we can surprise but the FA market is shallow and trading Marner just doesn't seem like it's going to be worth it.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Apr. 28 at 12:19 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: RipNasty
It's everyone not being able to score. Marner and Matthews have produced as much as anyone else has. The "playoff additions" have done nothing. No one has been a difference maker so far beyond Matthews in game 2. And now he's sick or hurt. Nylander isn't 100% and Marner isn't either. But no one healthy or not has made an impact. Domi has been pretty good but what's he done without Matthews? What has Bertuzzi done?

Our playoff defenceman additions? Nothing.

What are you talking about, Matthews, Domi and Bertuzzi all have 3 points which is the most of anyone on the team. More than either of Marner or Tavares, and both of them combined are payed less than Marner or Tavares. And they just look more dangerous out there. You watch the game and you notice that line, which can’t be said about the second line
Apr. 28 at 12:22 p.m.
Who under performed under Babcock? The last time we lost to Boston in 7, we had a 3-2 series lead and we're down a goal in the 3rd period of game 6 and he played Matthews something like 3 minutes in the 3rd while playing Marleau 11 minutes. Babcock was a bad coach who cost the team and Keefe is no better. He played Sammy these playoffs, there are some (me probably more than any on here) who absolutely knew he was going to have bad games cost us. (Game 1 and 3 are as much on him as anyone else). He never adjusts anything, he gets out coached all the time. It's just dumb, Keefe has to go.

The big 3 underperformed in the playoffs under Babcock. 41 points in 60 combined games played between them.

You're also way off on your TOI stat. Matthews played nearly 9 minutes in the 3rd, Marleau 6.
aadoyle liked this.
Apr. 28 at 12:48 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Saskleaf
What are you talking about, Matthews, Domi and Bertuzzi all have 3 points which is the most of anyone on the team. More than either of Marner or Tavares, and both of them combined are payed less than Marner or Tavares. And they just look more dangerous out there. You watch the game and you notice that line, which can’t be said about the second line

And why do Bertuzzi and Domi have points? They play with Matthews. Don't give them credit for what he's done. After Matthews left the game yesterday, Bertuzzi and Domi were invisible.
Apr. 28 at 1:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 28 at 1:31 p.m.
Leafs had the decision to make a year ago.
1) Dump the core 3 or 4 and rebuild, or
2) Re-sign the core 3, almost guarantee they will be the 3 highest scorers in Leafs history, and accept that there will be little to no playoff success.

Now all have No Trade Clauses. The decision was made - now we live with it. Enjoy the regular season - after all, it's longer than the playoffs.

You didn't really need to rebuild

Trade 1 or 2 away and focus around Matthews

If TOR was to have traded Marner or Willy away last summer I would not be angry if they had gotten a nice return
Apr. 28 at 1:22 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
The big 3 underperformed in the playoffs under Babcock. 41 points in 60 combined games played between them.

You're also way off on your TOI stat. Matthews played nearly 9 minutes in the 3rd, Marleau 6.

Maybe it was just the last couple of minutes but I remember Babs defending that saying he had a feeling Marleau was going to be the hero. So he played over Matthews towards the end of the game. Babs was notorious for not playing the big 3 as much as other guys.
Apr. 28 at 1:23 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
You didn't really need to rebuild

Trade 1 or 2 away and focus around Matthews

I don't think you can though. What is 1 year of NMC Marner going to get you? Cap space? So we can get more Domi and Bertuzzi's? What did they do once Matthews was taken out of the game? Nah the coach has to go and a system that works needs to be implemented
Apr. 28 at 1:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Steve Dangle has a saying and it fits this issue with TOR

2 + 2 = 5 is what Leafs management is trying to get out of these guys

When you have so much money tied into 4 forwards these are the issues we see rn

This team has no playoff depth scoring, defense is meh, and goaltending is unpredictable

And we can go to ABC and go so why dont they fix. They cant without trying to get rid of one of them but now they got big fat NMC

That said with what we saw game 4 I think one of them may be more willing now
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:35 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I've been a Domi supporter this season, and thought he would be a good resigning this summer. But geez, he's been penalty foolish this playoffs. Seems like he can't handle the Toronto playoff pressure.
I'm not saying Trevling is the guy that has the ability to reshape the Leafs......But having Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie and Samsonov gone. well there is 16m to restructure the team. And the summer of 2025, 22m with Marner and Tavares gone.
Apr. 28 at 1:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 28 at 1:51 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
I've been a Domi supporter this season, and thought he would be a good resigning this summer. But geez, he's been penalty foolish this playoffs. Seems like he can't handle the Toronto playoff pressure.
I'm not saying Trevling is the guy that has the ability to reshape the Leafs......But having Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie and Samsonov gone. well there is 16m to restructure the team. And the summer of 2025, 22m with Marner and Tavares gone.

If Cap has 87.7m for 2024-2025 Leafs have 20.5m and this is with Timmins buried in the minors

They will need to extend Robertson, Liligren, Dewar all shouldnt be super expensive (My guess Dewar around 1m, Robertson 1.35m, and Liligren 2-2.5m)

Based on Brad's comments I think the focus this summer is the Dcore. I think he will explore bringing Domi and or Bertuzzi back seems doubtful with lack of funds but also I think depending if Shanahan is still around or not may be asked to talk to one of JT or Marner and go so hey do you think you would mind waiving your NMC.

Do I see them doing it no but hey its worth an ask. But yea I think this kind of retool is gonna be a 2 stage process

2024-2025 we will probs have a new coaching staff and revamped Dcore to work with. We will see what Woll is in a full starter role and see how the big 4 perform under this new system. If it works great if we see the same issue then we go to stage 2

2025-2026 move on from one of JT or Marner maybe even both and use the funds to improve the other area's. If Woll aint it go trade for a legit starter and go from there.

Going back to Dcore renovations the goal for me would be 1. To create an actual shutdown, 2. puck movement, 3. create more offense
palhal liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:59 p.m.
average joe
Who under performed under Babcock? The last time we lost to Boston in 7, we had a 3-2 series lead and we're down a goal in the 3rd period of game 6 and he played Matthews something like 3 minutes in the 3rd while playing Marleau 11 minutes. Babcock was a bad coach who cost the team and Keefe is no better. He played Sammy these playoffs, there are some (me probably more than any on here) who absolutely knew he was going to have bad games cost us. (Game 1 and 3 are as much on him as anyone else). He never adjusts anything, he gets out coached all the time. It's just dumb, Keefe has to go.

Just putting this out - Sammy has better Save % than Saros, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Georgiev.
Sammy could have been better - maybe the series would be 2-2. But the flaws in this team are still there.
aadoyle, palhal, RipNasty and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 28 at 2:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Just putting this out - Sammy has better Save % than Saros, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Georgiev.
Sammy could have been better - maybe the series would be 2-2. But the flaws in this team are still there.

Yep what team is winning with a 7% PP and 50% PK

Or in 10 of their last 11 cant score more than 2 goals

Game 1: 1 goal
Game 2: vs. Ullmark 3 goals
Game 3: 2 goals 0/5 PP
Game 4: 1 goal

WTF we paying these big 4 for if we struggling to score in big playoff moments. Dont matter whose in net if these guys just crumble when they meet a goalie who can stop them a few times.
palhal and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 28 at 2:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 28 at 2:46 p.m.
Ilya Lyubushkin hasn't been on for a 5v5 goal against in this series, and he's third on the team with a 58.3 xGF%.

Sums up this series but also would not mind bringing back on a reasonable deal as he has not been bad just this Dcore needs renovations

Till they can find or develop someone better would not mind a 2 year 1.5m deal for him and just slot him with MO
palhal and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 28 at 2:15 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Random2152
I vote that this thread becomes a London Knight thread.

Those ****ers know how to win in the playoffs (9-0 this year, 2 sweeps)

Gaz scores his first since coming back from injury its 1-0 LETS GOOO
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Apr. 28 at 2:16 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Gaz scores his first since coming back from injury its 1-0 LETS GOOO

Spirit not handling Londons physicality well and its leading to lots of open space. And multiple penalties at the same time too lmao
Apr. 28 at 2:18 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Spirit not handling Londons physicality well and its leading to lots of open space. And multiple penalties at the same time too lmao

Id actually recommend watching Londons PP. It doesn't move as well as even the worst NHL PPs but they are still the best in the league and play a 3 low system
Apr. 28 at 2:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I can see why Berube is waiting to keep all his options open

He knows theirs a bigger opportunity waiting and when Leafs clean house on the coaching staff besides maybe Chynoweth prime opportunity for him

Chynoweth to me is the one assistant you keep as if you can bring in proper guys for this PK he can get it back to 80% again he had it there 2 seasons in a row
Apr. 28 at 2:23 p.m.
Rip

Sure but all of those guys have had success in their careers. Well Georgiev hasn't but he's obviously a problem in Colorado. Sammy has 21 games under his belt and allows 3 a game. Enough is enough. He's a problem and one we potentially already have an answer for.
Apr. 28 at 2:24 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Id actually recommend watching Londons PP. It doesn't move as well as even the worst NHL PPs but they are still the best in the league and play a 3 low system

London keeps winning those 50/50 puck battles and have been dominating so far. 8-1 shots and the eye test looks even better.

Still this team really misses KLaw. For a guy who cost an 8th rounder he has been incredible for us this playoffs
Apr. 28 at 2:27 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
London keeps winning those 50/50 puck battles and have been dominating so far. 8-1 shots and the eye test looks even better.

Still this team really misses KLaw. For a guy who cost an 8th rounder he has been incredible for us this playoffs

London does a really great job of boxing guys out. Saginaw has been unable to get a man or a puck through into the slot. They keep trying and its out every time. Forces perimeter plays
Apr. 28 at 2:29 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
London does a really great job of boxing guys out. Saginaw has been unable to get a man or a puck through into the slot. They keep trying and its out every time. Forces perimeter plays

Reffing is totally different in the OHL lmao. 3rd knights PP in the 1st period.

London subscribes to the idea that if you play a hard game, refs will even it up and you can benefit if you have great PKs and PPs, which we do
Apr. 28 at 2:29 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
Yep what team is winning with a 7% PP and 50% PK

Or in 10 of their last 11 cant score more than 2 goals

Game 1: 1 goal
Game 2: vs. Ullmark 3 goals
Game 3: 2 goals 0/5 PP
Game 4: 1 goal

WTF we paying these big 4 for if we struggling to score in big playoff moments. Dont matter whose in net if these guys just crumble when they meet a goalie who can stop them a few times.

What are we paying anyone for? Domi and Bertuzzi have points off the back of Matthews. Marner has 2 points as does JT. Who has done anything? Blaming the core is lazy. No one produces under Keefe's system. No one has, beyond the core. Bertuzzi and Domi were supposed to be difference makers, and they haven't made a difference.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll