SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

Apr. 28 at 9:22 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
Doesn't matter what he said, it's just another small moment among a whole game that is getting blown way out of proportion. All so the emotional fools can go off on it.

We get it, you hate Marner. Anything you say about him is so heavily biased towards the negative that none of it has any credibility. Marner will be blamed by you no matter what.

He could dominate game 5 and get 5 points and it'll be his fault they lose 6-5.

If Marner had 4 points these playoffs and had excellent defence, no complaints... But he's not close to that... And it's increasingly more obvious

Quoting: RipNasty
Because of Matthews. This is the nonsense self justification that makes conversations with too many people impossible. Bertuzzi and Domi were brought in to be playoff difference makers. And they have not made a difference.

The gameplan is the same as it's been every year under Keefe and apart from a lucky series vs Tampa, he's been beat every time. The game plan does not work.

Let's get a proper coach and see what happens.

He got a point on Marner's goal, a beautiful play BTW... About the only time he showed up all series
Apr. 28 at 9:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 28 at 10:05 p.m.
Was rewatching the bench interaction from the big 3 and noticed something

Willy and Matthews are not arguing with Marner if you watch Matthews is eyeing Willy and then Willy goes back at him saying stop ****ing crying bro this is the ****ing issue guys ****ing pissed about **** . Marner also seemed to get mad and threw his gloves in frustration

So now there's tension between all 3 of them and this is not necessarily a bad thing

Malkin and Kessel 2017 had this very issue and maybe this is what they need to spark a comeback for game 5 and beyond

Probs not but lets see as I want to see them hold eachother accountable more rather than just be sitting their in silence
Apr. 28 at 10:32 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: oneX
I know you (like I) want Keefe fired and wanted him gone at least a year ago if not longer but the coach stuff aside, this core of players has NOT done enough over the 3-4 years. The coach stuff is what it is but need to expect more and better out of the core.

When you compare this core to other top players in the playoffs (McDavid, Draistl, MacKinnon, Makar, Zabinejad, Aho, the list can keep going) what the Leafs are getting out of these guys is not nearly enough.

It's okay to admit that, I promise.

I watched some of the jets game today. And comparing their style vs TO's is ridiculous. They skate so fast and pressure you in waves. TO is predictable. They cycle in the offensive zone and slowly. Sure it works in the regular season but in the playoffs. Teams figure it out, keep us to the outside and then we can't score. And Keefe does nothing to adjust. Like zero rush chances with this system. The PP is also predictable as well.

It's systems stuff and adjustments need to be made to attack what the opposing team gives us and that doesn't happen. So it's hard to pin the blame on the core. They have produced, not enough to mask the flaws on the team obviously but they have produced. And that production has come in spite of the poor game planning and coaching.
oneX liked this.
Apr. 28 at 10:51 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
If Marner had 4 points these playoffs and had excellent defence, no complaints... But he's not close to that... And it's increasingly more obvious

He got a point on Marner's goal, a beautiful play BTW... About the only time he showed up all series

Marner has been the reason why 2 of the last 3 goals by TO were scored. He's not the hero people want him to be. I actually don't think he ever will be and the sooner he gets that through his head the sooner he'll mature into the player he can be.

Look, I am critical of Marner as well. He's without question the most fragile player on the team. And I don't think he should be a leader on the team. I think he is best suited to be a star but a step below the real leaders on the team. Next year it would be cool to see JT step down as captain and had it Rielly or Matthews. Reilly Captain with Matthews and Nylander Assistants. I think Willy with a letter would push him to be even better than he has been this season. I think it would also let Marner shed some spotlight, which would be better for him as well.

As for right now? I have zero confidence this team will come back. Part of me wants it to end soon so we can fire Keefe and see what happens next. But there are risks with that because Treliving and coaches are not a good combination. So there is a good chance Treliving makes everything worse by making all the wrong moves. He really didn't do a good job in Calgary.

So with all that said, I hope the core does something special. And still Keefe gets fired.
Apr. 28 at 10:55 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
Was rewatching the bench interaction from the big 3 and noticed something

Willy and Matthews are not arguing with Marner if you watch Matthews is eyeing Willy and then Willy goes back at him saying stop ****ing crying bro this is the ****ing issue guys ****ing pissed about **** . Marner also seemed to get mad and threw his gloves in frustration

So now there's tension between all 3 of them and this is not necessarily a bad thing

Malkin and Kessel 2017 had this very issue and maybe this is what they need to spark a comeback for game 5 and beyond

Probs not but lets see as I want to see them hold eachother accountable more rather than just be sitting their in silence

The consensus is Willy was talking to Marner. With the "Stop ****ing crying bro, this isn't junior.". Which I really like, I have a hope that Willy gets mad and becomes something no one ever thought possible. Throws some big hits, gets after guys when he doesn't like something they did. It would be a game changer, he's so strong he could start man handling guys. Maybe this is the start of that. Imagine he just grabs Marchand and rag dolls him after a whistle. It would shake the whole team.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 28 at 11:40 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I know Leafs fans hate their own and want to overpay to obtain anyone other player. Gee, I have seen so many comments about obtaining Preds goalie 5m Saros. My opinion almost just as good goalies can be obtained as UFAs this summer. How to folks feel about Saros after tonight's game.
Apr. 28 at 11:55 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: palhal
I know Leafs fans hate their own and want to overpay to obtain anyone other player. Gee, I have seen so many comments about obtaining Preds goalie 5m Saros. My opinion almost just as good goalies can be obtained as UFAs this summer. How to folks feel about Saros after tonight's game.

There are no good Goalies in UFA. None better than what we have now anyway
Apr. 29 at 12:07 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Since this is now a London Knights forum, how about a Marner to Utah trade that lands us the ~6th overall pick so we can get Dicky?
Apr. 29 at 12:12 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Since this is now a London Knights forum, how about a Marner to Utah trade that lands us the ~6th overall pick so we can get Dicky?

Reports saying Chicago really likes him
Apr. 29 at 12:16 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming

Quoting: Random2152

But in more important matters, Do we think that the Hunters are going to keep Gaz as both an overager and an import next year?
Personally, I'd try to convince SJ to leave Halts down with us due to lackluster 5v5 skills (great shot tho) and bring in Ustinkov to help replace the D we're about to lose.

Even more importantly, Is Jacob Monks gonna be a grandslam for the Hunters? IIRC he fell due to non-comital issues but he is currently at our Dev camp. Could be fun.
Apr. 29 at 12:16 a.m.
Amirov Forever

Damn those Blackhawks. It's a pipedream anyways, I think the best comp for a marner trade is the Eichel deal. New Jersey seems like a solid suitor, and they certainly have a surplus of young players and RHD to make it happen. Guys like Mercer, Holtz, Gritsyuk, and Marino are all very enticing.
Apr. 29 at 12:19 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Damn those Blackhawks. It's a pipedream anyways, I think the best comp for a marner trade is the Eichel deal. New Jersey seems like a solid suitor, and they certainly have a surplus of young players and RHD to make it happen. Guys like Mercer, Holtz, Gritsyuk, and Marino are all very enticing.

Meant to include Casey also, seems like a guy who could get moved
Apr. 29 at 12:34 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

Why would any team give a top 10 pick for an expiring UFA

Sure its Marner but the perception of him now isnt looking like someone people will spend a tonne on anymore

Top 10 playmaker regular season who seems to vanish in playoffs when it gets gritty
Apr. 29 at 12:37 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Why would any team give a top 10 pick for an expiring UFA

The sad thing is I just dont see him waiving. If he goes its for nothing in FA and man its gonna suck lul

If Marner's foot speed doesn't recover next year - his next deal could sour quickly
Apr. 29 at 12:38 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

Yea apparently if they cant get Celibrini thats who they want
Apr. 29 at 12:40 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
If Marner's foot speed doesn't recover next year - his next deal could sour quickly

Yea thats the gamble rn

But if we get contract year fever Marner we could see him go nuts for 120 points and maybe go god mode in the playoffs. Like last time he went contract mode he scored a penalty shot and blocked 4 shots with his face. Then signed 10.893

And it ****ing sucks as man both arguments are valid cause rn im in the middle of trade and try for a Tkachuck like deal or ride out the contract year and see
Apr. 29 at 12:40 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Big difference between Eichel and Marner. Marner has just one full season before UFA. Eichel had 4.5 seasons and five playoffs before his contract expires. Vegas thought they were Cup contenders when they obtained Eichel. Jersey....not so much.
Apr. 29 at 12:52 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Big difference between Eichel and Marner. Marner has just one full season before UFA. Eichel had 4.5 seasons and five playoffs before his contract expires. Vegas thought they were Cup contenders when they obtained Eichel. Jersey....not so much.

The one comparable I keep seeing is FLA turned 2 pending UFA's into Tkachuck sure but we dont have a Weegar lul

I feel its just a ride the deal out and see rn cause even with the tension I dont sense him waiving

I think the plans when JT expires move on and use that money
palhal liked this.
Apr. 29 at 12:56 a.m.
Amirov Forever

The Devils would be a contender if they weren't plagued with injuries and given 2 terrible coaches. Marner makes them a huge threat in the east. Also a stipulation in the trade would be an extension in place for Marner to give the Devils some clarity.
Apr. 29 at 12:57 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
The one comparable I keep seeing is FLA turned 2 pending UFA's into Tkachuck sure but we dont have a Weegar lul

I feel its just a ride the deal out and see rn cause even with the tension I dont sense him waiving

I think the plans when JT expires move on and use that money

JT will retire as a Leaf and anyone saying otherwise can confidently be ignored
Apr. 29 at 1:05 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
JT will retire as a Leaf and anyone saying otherwise can confidently be ignored

Sure when that 11m deal expires he can retire

Unless its a Spezza deal 0 interest in bringing him back especially after these playoffs lul
palhal liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:06 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming

Unless its a Spezza deal 0 interest in bringing him back especially after these playoffs lul

Prepare to be disappointed I guess
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:07 a.m.
Amirov Forever

Hes coming back on a 3.5m - 4m contract. Book it
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:09 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Hes coming back on a 3.5m - 4m contract. Book it

Could see as high as 7.5aav.

OFC it all depends on mentality and where the team is at. Contracts at his age vary wildly (see Pavs for example)
NorthernLeafsFan05 and palhal liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:10 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Could see as high as 7.5aav.

OFC it all depends on mentality and where the team is at. Contracts at his age vary wildly (see Pavs for example)

Wouldn't be shocked, but he already took a paycut to come to Toronto to begin with. Hoping that's the trend we see going forward as well 🤞
Random2152 and Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll