SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

Apr. 29 at 1:11 a.m.
Amirov Forever
If we trade Mitch Marner, I think getting Seamus Casey, Dawson Mercer, and the 10th overall pick would make me semi content. Could get a pretty elite defender at that point in the draft depending on how things go, or another uber elite winger. Casey would be a great pickup for us also.

That being said, he won't be dealt
Apr. 29 at 1:13 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Hes coming back on a 3.5m - 4m contract. Book it

Quoting: Random2152
Could see as high as 7.5aav.

OFC it all depends on mentality and where the team is at. Contracts at his age vary wildly (see Pavs for example)

Prepare to be disappointed I guess

Would be the dumbest move

He's past his prime and for everyone sakes its time for him to hang the skates and for us to move on

He's cooked
Apr. 29 at 1:14 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Would be the dumbest move

He's past his prime and for everyone sakes its time for him to hang the skates and for us to move on

He's cooked

It's not like he's going to be relied on as 2C for the rest of his tenure in Toronto. He would be a very good 3C or even 2LW. Not sure why we are in such a big rush to move on from a great leader and a key player.
oneX, Leafsfan98 and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:19 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 29 at 1:40 a.m.
It's not like he's going to be relied on as 2C for the rest of his tenure in Toronto. He would be a very good 3C or even 2LW. Not sure why we are in such a big rush to move on from a great leader and a key player.

Dont even want him as a 3c. He's slow, past his prime and these playoffs has looked not good and if this is whats to come hell nah especially on 4-7m

Move on

Rather go get Bennett + Dvorak if we want a 2 and 3c for the same price or less

And JT aint a super great leader. Look at when the boys were arguing on the bench where was he to hold them accountable or stop it? Crosby or Landeskog would have let em know fast they need to be better. Thats the kind of captain we need rn

Next year that C should be stripped like what WPG did with Wheeler.

Unless its league min like Spezza then stay as long as u want but yea I got a feeling he's gonna want 4m and for me its a no time to move on
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:53 a.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
I watched some of the jets game today. And comparing their style vs TO's is ridiculous. They skate so fast and pressure you in waves. TO is predictable. They cycle in the offensive zone and slowly. Sure it works in the regular season but in the playoffs. Teams figure it out, keep us to the outside and then we can't score. And Keefe does nothing to adjust. Like zero rush chances with this system. The PP is also predictable as well.

It's systems stuff and adjustments need to be made to attack what the opposing team gives us and that doesn't happen. So it's hard to pin the blame on the core. They have produced, not enough to mask the flaws on the team obviously but they have produced. And that production has come in spite of the poor game planning and coaching.

Notice that I named players from many different teams and could have kept going on with that list. But anyway...

I have a comparable for you. From strictly a coaching point of view, Toronto and Edmonton were similar in that Keefe and Woodcroft. I feel similarly about Woodcroft to how I feel about Keefe but the difference has been is McDavid and Draisaitl have been showing up regardless of who is coach.

We'll just have to agree to disagree with the discussion of core guys making a difference.
Trickster liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:58 a.m.

JT has lost all of the very little speed he had. In this league ya gotta have guys who can keep up with the pace of the game/players.

I'm all for giving him a respectable goodbye, but yeah time to move on.
Trickster liked this.
Apr. 29 at 2:35 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
JT has lost all of the very little speed he had. In this league ya gotta have guys who can keep up with the pace of the game/players.

Like yes if he agrees to league min and we needed a 4c sure but we dont

At this point come 2025 go get Bennett + Granlund or Dvorak aint bad and together would cost 10m
Apr. 29 at 7:48 a.m.
Rip
Notice that I named players from many different teams and could have kept going on with that list. But anyway...

I have a comparable for you. From strictly a coaching point of view, Toronto and Edmonton were similar in that Keefe and Woodcroft. I feel similarly about Woodcroft to how I feel about Keefe but the difference has been is McDavid and Draisaitl have been showing up regardless of who is coach.

We'll just have to agree to disagree with the discussion of core guys making a difference.

McDavid is the best player in the world. He can make something out of nothing more than anyone else. However they also have the luxury of playing in a much weaker division. LA is not Boston, Tampa or Florida.

Comparing Edmonton and TO is a bad comparison. Because Edmonton goes as far as McDavid takes them and eventually they will take on a team with a defenceman who can slow McDavid down and then the Oilers lose. Happens every year.
oneX liked this.
Apr. 29 at 7:50 a.m.
Rip

I actually think the problems with JT are again more systemic than skill. He just seems like he's not compatible with the system anymore. But really if he made 4 million and gets 60 points is anyone going to complain?
Apr. 29 at 8:57 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Marner has been the reason why 2 of the last 3 goals by TO were scored. He's not the hero people want him to be. I actually don't think he ever will be and the sooner he gets that through his head the sooner he'll mature into the player he can be.

Look, I am critical of Marner as well. He's without question the most fragile player on the team. And I don't think he should be a leader on the team. I think he is best suited to be a star but a step below the real leaders on the team. Next year it would be cool to see JT step down as captain and had it Rielly or Matthews. Reilly Captain with Matthews and Nylander Assistants. I think Willy with a letter would push him to be even better than he has been this season. I think it would also let Marner shed some spotlight, which would be better for him as well.

As for right now? I have zero confidence this team will come back. Part of me wants it to end soon so we can fire Keefe and see what happens next. But there are risks with that because Treliving and coaches are not a good combination. So there is a good chance Treliving makes everything worse by making all the wrong moves. He really didn't do a good job in Calgary.

So with all that said, I hope the core does something special. And still Keefe gets fired.

Marner was also the reason why the Bruins scored 2/3 goals last game too... So it's great you get a goal, but if you cost your team 2... You are a net negative

As for leaders, it should be JT until JT doesn't want to... Which doesn't make sense as he's always wanted to be the captain of TO... I'd offer him a 3.5 mill contract and tell him that if he wants to stay, 3.5 is the max as they can't afford him otherwise... He'd want to stay so it might be 3-4 mill contract which works and he'd still be happy as the captain and a hero for taking a discount... The As should be Rielly, Willy and Marner because the spotlight is on Matthews, so putting less eyes on him is the best as he's their best player

This team won't comeback, as best case, they'll lose in Game 7 again... Treliving and Keefe each were trying to have this team win with an arm tied behind their back, so likely Shanny gets the boot and a new president would be hired, which is good bc Brad has good and bad ideas, it's just a matter of sorting through them
Apr. 29 at 8:59 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
If we trade Mitch Marner, I think getting Seamus Casey, Dawson Mercer, and the 10th overall pick would make me semi content. Could get a pretty elite defender at that point in the draft depending on how things go, or another uber elite winger. Casey would be a great pickup for us also.

That being said, he won't be dealt

I'd be content with Casey+10th overall tbh...
Apr. 29 at 9:15 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Marner was also the reason why the Bruins scored 2/3 goals last game too... So it's great you get a goal, but if you cost your team 2... You are a net negative

As for leaders, it should be JT until JT doesn't want to... Which doesn't make sense as he's always wanted to be the captain of TO... I'd offer him a 3.5 mill contract and tell him that if he wants to stay, 3.5 is the max as they can't afford him otherwise... He'd want to stay so it might be 3-4 mill contract which works and he'd still be happy as the captain and a hero for taking a discount... The As should be Rielly, Willy and Marner because the spotlight is on Matthews, so putting less eyes on him is the best as he's their best player

This team won't comeback, as best case, they'll lose in Game 7 again... Treliving and Keefe each were trying to have this team win with an arm tied behind their back, so likely Shanny gets the boot and a new president would be hired, which is good bc Brad has good and bad ideas, it's just a matter of sorting through them

I literally just rewatched the highlights of the goals against in the last game. You blaming Marner for goals 2/3 is ridiculous. He wasn't even on the ice for the 3rd goal against and Sammy lost sight of the puck on the 3rd goal and Benoit couldn't get out to stop the shot. Marner was on the other side of the ice on the PK. He did nothing wrong.

This is another clear indication that you have no credibility in regards to Marner. You hate him and you will see what you want to see with him. Like you already have Reaves a pass for his turnover that cost them goal 1. He's fine because he hits. And contributes nothing at all. Been the cause of 2 goals against and 1 for and he's a hero but Marner somehow is to blame for everything. This is why you are silly.

Shanahan will survive longer than Keefe. If Keefe remains coach, I won't watch this team next year at all.
Apr. 29 at 9:21 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
Like yes if he agrees to league min and we needed a 4c sure but we dont

At this point come 2025 go get Bennett + Granlund or Dvorak aint bad and together would cost 10m

That's a grass is greener approach if I ever have seen one. Bennett certainly someone I'd like to add but he will without a doubt cost way too much in FA and will not look good. He'll command 8+ million and score 50 points in the regular season.
Apr. 29 at 9:21 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Could see as high as 7.5aav.

OFC it all depends on mentality and where the team is at. Contracts at his age vary wildly (see Pavs for example)

Another example would be how Brodie how fallen off the cliff this season. Same as Holl with Wings. The "wall" can hit very soon for players. in their early to mid thirties.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 9:22 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I literally just rewatched the highlights of the goals against in the last game. You blaming Marner for goals 2/3 is ridiculous. He wasn't even on the ice for the 3rd goal against and Sammy lost sight of the puck on the 3rd goal and Benoit couldn't get out to stop the shot. Marner was on the other side of the ice on the PK. He did nothing wrong.

This is another clear indication that you have no credibility in regards to Marner. You hate him and you will see what you want to see with him. Like you already have Reaves a pass for his turnover that cost them goal 1. He's fine because he hits. And contributes nothing at all. Been the cause of 2 goals against and 1 for and he's a hero but Marner somehow is to blame for everything. This is why you are silly.

Shanahan will survive longer than Keefe. If Keefe remains coach, I won't watch this team next year at all.

Marner went for a lazy line change, which caused an odd man rush... And he forced the other 3 Peers to collapse, causing confusion and a goal against...

The reason why Reaves gets a pass is for:
1. Sammy can't have a titanic-wide five hole
2. He's not making 10.9 million dollars...
3. If your 4rth line right winger costs you the game, there's something wrong with your team

It's obvious you just hate Keefe and have a love for Marner for whatever reason, it's never his fault, it's always someone else...
Apr. 29 at 9:25 a.m.
Rip
Marner went for a lazy line change, which caused an odd man rush... And he forced the other 3 Peers to collapse, causing confusion and a goal against...

The reason why Reaves gets a pass is for:
1. Sammy can't have a titanic-wide five hole
2. He's not making 10.9 million dollars...
3. If your 4rth line right winger costs you the game, there's something wrong with your team

It's obvious you just hate Keefe and have a love for Marner for whatever reason, it's never his fault, it's always someone else...

Everything you said is wrong. It always is with Marner and it's just tiring.
Apr. 29 at 9:27 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Everything you said is wrong. It always is with Marner and it's just tiring.

That's ironic...
Apr. 29 at 9:32 a.m.
Rip
That's ironic...

You legit just blamed Marner for a goal he wasn't on the ice for. This is the sort of arguments here. He is to blame for everything all the time whether or not he's even on the ice.
Apr. 29 at 9:35 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
You legit just blamed Marner for a goal he wasn't on the ice for. This is the sort of arguments here. He is to blame for everything all the time whether or not he's even on the ice.

A lazy change which screwed the rest of the team and created a 3 on 2 going the other way should be excused for...

Smart
Apr. 29 at 9:53 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Would be funny (though maybe not realistic) if the Leafs win game 5. Back on the bandwagon.
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 29 at 9:57 a.m.
Rip
A lazy change which screwed the rest of the team and created a 3 on 2 going the other way should be excused for...

Smart

Absolutely wrong. McCabe going for a big hit is the culprit. The Leafs had all 4 penalty killers in position. McCabe left his zone to lay a big hit and that gave them the odd man rush. Matthews could get some blame as well but Marner did nothing wrong. Go watch it again. All 4 penalty killers were where they were supposed to be. And then McCabe lays a hit, taking himself out of the play. (His biggest flaw which is not a new thing).

I get wanting more out of Marner but you are beyond reasonable here
Apr. 29 at 9:57 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: palhal
Would be funny (though maybe not realistic) if the Leafs win game 5. Back on the bandwagon.

It would be really funny to see what people say if Marner has a world class game as well.
Apr. 29 at 10:29 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Yay! The Leafs have signed Grebyonkin to a 3 year ELC that begins immediately. So pumped to watch this kid in north America, he's my favorite prospect
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Apr. 29 at 11:00 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Absolutely wrong. McCabe going for a big hit is the culprit. The Leafs had all 4 penalty killers in position. McCabe left his zone to lay a big hit and that gave them the odd man rush. Matthews could get some blame as well but Marner did nothing wrong. Go watch it again. All 4 penalty killers were where they were supposed to be. And then McCabe lays a hit, taking himself out of the play. (His biggest flaw which is not a new thing).

I get wanting more out of Marner but you are beyond reasonable here

If Marner wasn't wondering around (as Biz pointed out), McAvoy never gets the puck up top and Marner would have been on a breakaway
Apr. 29 at 11:47 a.m.
Rip
If Marner wasn't wondering around (as Biz pointed out), McAvoy never gets the puck up top and Marner would have been on a breakaway

Biz is looking for clicks. It's nonsense and so so on brand for your type to ignore McCabe's stupid hit attempt that sort of took Matthews out of the play as well. McCabe gets into scrums so that means he's good eh?

Keefe getting a pass as well from you is just crazy. He's literally talking to the media saying he's not worried about urgency, he's optimistic. Are you serious Keefe? He's a passenger. I think he suggests stuff to players never demands it. He has no urgency, and neither do his players. B

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll