Not sure about your reasoning here but I can appreciate the positive attitude

Its purely positivity, I have no reason to believe it lol
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 5:52 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
I would be more concerned with a 1/14 PP then Sammy lul

Or a 50% PK

Special teams and this teams inability to create offense is what's killing them not the goalie

TBL series last year be the example

Game 2 7-2
Game 3 4-3
Game 4 5-4
Game 6 2-1

PK 73% PP 25%

So far this series TOR goals

GM 1: 1
GM 2: 3 (Ullmark)
GM 3: 2
GM 4: 1

PK 53% PP 7%

Noticing the problem vs last year lul

It's a problem. But Sammy allowing 3 goals game for 20 + games now is a clear indicator he isn't a playoff goalie. He just can't handle the pressure. And throwing him out their in a pressure filled elimination game is dumb. We know what's going to happen. Just try woll it can't be worse.
Apr. 29 at 5:56 p.m.
Rip
Again your missing it look at the TBL series who was in net?

Samsonov did the Leafs win with him in net yes even if he allowed 3 also yes why cause they were generating offense and their special teams were good

This team is struggling to score, it dont matter whose in net if their special teams and offense are as dry as the Sahara Desert

Even if Woll's in were still down 3-1 with this teams scoring issues lul

Using Sammy means we have no choice but to outscore our problems. Why not hedge our bets, hope the PP gets better and likely not allow 3 goals or more. Sammy is done. Woll's time is now, should have been the starter from the get go.

Would it have made a difference? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think Woll would be as chaotic and he didn't allow any terrible goals in his playoff performances last year. If we want to win anything we need to give ourselves the best chance possible and Sammy is not that.
Apr. 29 at 5:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 29 at 6:01 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
It's a problem. But Sammy allowing 3 goals game for 20 + games now is a clear indicator he isn't a playoff goalie. He just can't handle the pressure. And throwing him out their in a pressure filled elimination game is dumb. We know what's going to happen. Just try woll it can't be worse.

Again you keep going back to 3 goals when the fact of the matter is the team IS FAILING TO SCORE GOALS

And he has not allowed in 20+ games in a row lul this is just pulling bull out of a hat lul. Your trying to make him the main issue when he aint

On the list of problems this playoffs Samsonov is #5. PP, PK, 5 on 5 Offense, Keefe are way ahead of him

We saw last year even when he did allow 3 when the offense was clicking we would still come back and win but Leafs offense be dryer than the Sahara this series. No goalie is gonna save them if that offense dont get going

Not Woll, not Jones, not Murray nobody.

Might as well just feed another to the wolves and move on if it makes people feel better lul.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 5:57 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Random2152
Yeah if you pull up all the playoff series, the only one that we managed to win was when our special teams were above 100% combined (average)

Where we outscored our goalies deficiencies. He was a problem the next round where he let in bad goals in 2 of the 3 games he started.
Apr. 29 at 6:01 p.m.
Rip
Again you keep going back to 3 goals when the fact of the matter is the team IS FAILING TO SCORE GOALS

And he has not allowed in 20+ games lul this is just pulling bull out of a hat lul

On the list of problems this playoffs Samsonov is #5. PP, PK, 5 on 5 Offense, Keefe are way ahead of him

3 goals is league avg and we saw last year even when he did that when the offense was clicking we would still come back and win but Leafs offense be dryer than the Sahara. No goalie is gonna save them if that offense dont get going

Not Woll, not Jones, not Murray nobody

No, I am not ignoring that. They obviously need to score. But allowing 3 goals against per game isn't good enough. It doesn't work in the playoffs. No one wins with goaltending like that. No one ever wins the cup with goaltending like this. It's a fact.

So let's get the special teams in order, and let's give Woll a try. It's time to give up on Sammy. Should have happened a while ago. His run of good games lasted just a handful of games and the whole time, Matthews was scoring at a crazy pace and carrying the team. He still allowed 3 goals a game over that stretch as well. He's just not good. Why keep defending him?

The Leafs aren't going all of a sudden start scoring 5 goals a game vs Boston. We need to win with 3 goals scored and that's OT with Sammy in net and he's not going to out duel anyone. Just move on.
Apr. 29 at 6:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
No, I am not ignoring that. They obviously need to score. But allowing 3 goals against per game isn't good enough. It doesn't work in the playoffs. No one wins with goaltending like that. No one ever wins the cup with goaltending like this. It's a fact.

So let's get the special teams in order, and let's give Woll a try. It's time to give up on Sammy. Should have happened a while ago. His run of good games lasted just a handful of games and the whole time, Matthews was scoring at a crazy pace and carrying the team. He still allowed 3 goals a game over that stretch as well. He's just not good. Why keep defending him?

The Leafs aren't going all of a sudden start scoring 5 goals a game vs Boston. We need to win with 3 goals scored and that's OT with Sammy in net and he's not going to out duel anyone. Just move on.

You keep missing the point and keep trying to justify 3 on and on so wont continue even @Random2152 sees it

But will leave with this why wouldnt they start scoring 5

They have Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, etc making combined 46.5m what we paying them for if they dont score and give us this kind of offense in big moments
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 6:06 p.m.
Rip

And he has not allowed in 20+ games in a row lul this is just pulling bull out of a hat lul. Your trying to make him the main issue when he aint

We saw last year even when he did allow 3 when the offense was clicking we would still come back and win but Leafs offense be dryer than the Sahara this series. No goalie is gonna save them if that offense dont get going

Not Woll, not Jones, not Murray nobody.

Might as well just feed another to the wolves and move on if it makes people feel better lul.

I only went back 5 years but all cup winning goalies had a sub 3 GAA and Sammy is above 3. He lets in bad goals way too often. It's just like Andersen and Campbell. Likeable guys sure but you just knew they were going to allow a back breaking stinker at some point. Sammy's done that so many times. You can't have that and expect to win. It's over, Sammy is done. It's now Woll's time. Whether it be 1 game or more, it has to be his crease. Allowing too many goals is unquestionably a problem. Rank them however you want, it doesn't matter. He is a problem and the easy solution is to play Woll.
Apr. 29 at 6:08 p.m.
Rip
You keep missing the point and keep trying to justify 3 on and on so wont continue even Random2152 sees it

But will leave with this why wouldnt they start scoring 5

They have Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, etc making combined 46.5m what we paying them for if they dont score and give us this kind of offense in big moments

You are so ridiculous. I have agreed that scoring is a problem. Without question. It's a problem.

I am not defending the offence or special teams. They have stunk. And can't if they have any hope. But I am also being reasonable in thinking that 5 goals a game is just not likely. If we claw our way back, we are going to have to win a game 3-2 or 2-1 and to do that we need more than just a pp goal. We need better goaltending as well. And Sammy does not provide that
Apr. 29 at 6:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 29 at 6:22 p.m.
You are so ridiculous. I have agreed that scoring is a problem. Without question. It's a problem.

I am not defending the offence or special teams. They have stunk. And can't if they have any hope. But I am also being reasonable in thinking that 5 goals a game is just not likely. If we claw our way back, we are going to have to win a game 3-2 or 2-1 and to do that we need more than just a pp goal. We need better goaltending as well. And Sammy does not provide that

Its not ridiculous

Its ridiculous to defend these guys inability to score more than 2 goals. This team goes no where if those guys do not perform and so far their effort especially game 4 has been abysmal. Matthews has had 1 good moment in game 2 vs. Ullmark

More than 50% of TOR cap is going into these 4 players come 2024-2025 and so far this series 3 goals and 3 assists between the 3 of them.

TOR was second in goals in the NHL this season and they have not even lived up to it scoring a total of 7 goals in 4 games total and if we divide it up 1,3,2,1

Embarrassing

This team should be scoring 3-5 goals easily this series per game if the big boyz or the group in general are clicking like they did in the regular season but they aint. Look at the TBL series thats what we should be seeing not this. This is the CBJ series all over again they just lucky they havent got shutout lul

Series aint over but they have not shown us anything to make us think they can do it even with a different goalie in net. If they want any hope of winning got to start scoring more than 2 goals a game thats a start then start getting PP goals and killing penalties
Apr. 29 at 6:26 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Where we outscored our goalies deficiencies. He was a problem the next round where he let in bad goals in 2 of the 3 games he started.

A 100% special teams is not outscoring your goalie lmao. It's league average (including the non playoff teams) if you can't hit that, you're not good
aadoyle liked this.
Apr. 29 at 6:29 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Saskleaf
What is the argument for Sammy lol. But I absolutely agree we have bigger issues

With a few exceptions, he's been fine. That's our starter, and the backup fared very poorly both recently and against Boston this year. Woll would be coming into the series mostly cold and since Sammy isn't the issue - that risk may not be worth it
aadoyle and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 6:39 p.m.
Rip
Its not ridiculous

Its ridiculous to defend these guys inability to score more than 2 goals. This team goes no where if those guys do not perform and so far their effort especially game 4 has been abysmal. Matthews has had 1 good moment in game 2 vs. Ullmark

More than 50% of TOR cap is going into these 4 players come 2024-2025 and so far this series 3 goals and 3 assists between the 3 of them.

TOR was second in goals in the NHL this season and they have not even lived up to it scoring a total of 7 goals in 4 games total and if we divide it up 1,3,2,1

Embarrassing

This team should be scoring 3-5 goals easily this series per game if the big boyz or the group in general are clicking like they did in the regular season but they aint. Look at the TBL series thats what we should be seeing not this. This is the CBJ series all over again they just lucky they havent got shutout lul

Series aint over but they have not shown us anything to make us think they can do it even with a different goalie in net. If they want any hope of winning got to start scoring more than 2 goals a game thats a start then start getting PP goals and killing penalties

No one is defending the offence though. It's a problem.

I blame Keefe more than the players for that but no one is getting a free pass.

But the offence has nothing to do with Sammy allowing too many goals and killing momentum. He can't start anymore.
Apr. 29 at 6:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
With a few exceptions, he's been fine. That's our starter, and the backup fared very poorly both recently and against Boston this year. Woll would be coming into the series mostly cold and since Sammy isn't the issue - that risk may not be worth it

If anything it may just give us more questions than answers

As to me 2024-2025 will be a defining moment for what goaltending could look like here for years to come

If Woll cant hang or struggles to stay healthy for 40 games and then in playoffs we go out again we may have to bite the bullet and go trade for someone

Our window aint that big so tough decisions ahead
Apr. 29 at 6:58 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
If anything it may just give us more questions than answers

As to me 2024-2025 will be a defining moment for what goaltending could look like here for years to come

If Woll cant hang or struggles to stay healthy for 40 games and then in playoffs we go out again we may have to bite the bullet and go trade for someone

Our window aint that big so tough decisions ahead

Really would have liked if they gave Hildeby a start or 2 when they had the chance. Just to see if there was anything there
aadoyle liked this.
Apr. 29 at 7:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 29 at 7:12 p.m.
Really would have liked if they gave Hildeby a start or 2 when they had the chance. Just to see if there was anything there

I think he's gonna get games next year as injuries do happen and Woll does have a history

Heck maybe he has a solid pre-season and completely changes the dynamic of who we may go with

As if Woll struggles in preseason and Hildeby thrives u may see them carry 3 for a bit to just see hmmm

But yea this FA is gonna be interesting. Do they trade for someone who can take the starting job if the kids struggle or just be the man, do they sign a fringe tandem guy and see what they got with the kids, or is it let the kids grow and potentially waste a year lets see.
Apr. 29 at 7:10 p.m.
Rip

A few exceptions? Like half this season, the past 10 regular season games, his entire playoff career and this series where he has been soundly out played. Other than those times he's been fine eh?
Apr. 29 at 7:16 p.m.
Rip

It was so strange that he didn't get any starts. Not even a back to back when played ****ty teams.

Another in the long list of what is Keefe thinking.
Apr. 29 at 7:19 p.m.
Rip
I think he's gonna get games next year as injuries do happen and Woll does have a history

Heck maybe he has a solid pre-season and completely changes the dynamic of who we may go with

As if Woll struggles in preseason and Hildeby thrives u may see them carry 3 for a bit to just see hmmm

But yea this FA is gonna be interesting. Do they trade for someone who can take the starting job if the kids struggle or just be the man, do they sign a fringe tandem guy and see what they got with the kids, or is it let the kids grow and potentially waste a year lets see.

It's weird to me that Woll has been entirely written off but Sammy gets endless support despite the season he's had. It doesn't make sense. Woll has the best stats out of our goalies this season. He was terrific in his brief playoff appearance last season as well. Injuries have been a problem but the kid has been really good when healthy. Had he not gotten a high ankle sprain, he would have been the starter for the whole season.
Apr. 29 at 8:07 p.m.
You don't win the cup with a goalie allowing 3 goals a game. You don't. Not in this era anyways.

Sammy should never again see the crease for the Leafs. Doesn't matter how Woll does. 20+ games if the same thing from Sammy seals it all

I mean, 3 of the last 8 conference finalists have had a 3GAA or worse (4 if we drop it to 2.9). It's not ideal, but... It's certainly not insurmountable.
aadoyle liked this.
Apr. 29 at 8:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I mean, 3 of the last 8 conference finalists have had a 3GAA or worse (4 if we drop it to 2.9). It's not ideal, but... It's certainly not insurmountable.

Yea didnt Kuemper win with a 0.902 SV with the Avs 2 years ago or was that Hill with VGK.

Like this playoffs were seeing guys who were in the Vezina convo **** the bed and guys who were awful in reg have amazing playoffs

Connor Hellybuyck is gonna win the Vezina but man he's been rough to watch these playoffs and even got Dangle quoted

The thing im more concerned and I think we all should be

Team is struggling to score and special teams be a dumpster fire
Apr. 29 at 8:21 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
The silver lining with this early playoff exit is that we still have our 1st round pick and have the potential to walk away from the draft with a pretty good defenseman/center

Just to add....the Leafs don't have a pick in the first four rounds in the June 2025 draft. Next season would be a terrible time to "tank" deliberately or not.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 8:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
Just to add....the Leafs don't have a pick in the first four rounds in the June 2025 draft. Next season would be a terrible time to "tank" deliberately or not.

Yep, they dont have the assets to trade in 2025 and so options are limited

I say pick one area to improve start there then in 2026 once JT is done improve the other area's

Dcore 2024-2025
Forward and Goalie 2025-2026
palhal and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 8:28 p.m.
I feel next year kind of has to be an almost all in for FA

They dont have the assets to trade in 2025 and so options are limited

Going "all in" in FA is incredibly dumb. An unbelievable amount of bad money is gifted to mid players who don't deserve it and BT is one of the worst offenders. There's actually a pretty solid field of guys who fill needs for us this year. He needs to not get stuck in a bidding war for who he decides is "our guy" but rather submit fair offers to the lot and see who takes.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Apr. 29 at 8:31 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yep, they dont have the assets to trade in 2025 and so options are limited

I say pick one area to improve start there then in 2026 once JT is done improve the other area's

Yeah, the Leafs will be all in...spending to the cap, like so many other teams. Is Trevling up for the job? By the way, the Leafs don't have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounder in 2026 draft. You're right about 11m Tavares being gone in 25/25, Hopefully the Leafs get some cost efficient players like Niemela, Cowan, Webber, Minten playing above their contracts. Guess the other question is Mitch (and his cap) a Leaf after next season.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll