SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

May 5 at 4:27 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Cowan pots a long range empty netter while under pressure. London up 4-2 30 sec left. They will advance to the finals
May 5 at 4:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: fangm
I think you are massively underestimating how attractive this trade would be for Blake.

It's much easier to sell that he moved Villager and Clarke for Marner than having sold a top 6 PWF for 14 years of dead cap.

If he goes through with the buyout he's likely fired or close to it. This trade buys him time.

LA would not trade Clarke for Marner. Marner's a pending UFA and costs more than PLD and like him underperformed.

Last thing LA wants is an future 11m wing

TOR should want nothing to do with PLD either. Guys not been good either

LA's options rn are keep PLD, trade him for almost nothing to create cap space, or buyout
May 5 at 4:34 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: LeafsForLife
Seeing a lot of stuff on this forum on whether or not the Core 4 would succeed in the playoffs under different coaching (HC and all ACs). What would everyone think of this idea:
Obviously, fire entire coaching staff. Since Tavares’ and Marner’s contracts end next year, they have 1 year to prove it was the coaching that was the problem. If the Leafs follow this plan and go on a run, that’s great. If not, their contracts are off the books.
If you don’t like this idea, fair enough, but explain why you think it wouldn’t work.

If it truly is going to be the last year for Marner and Tavares, fine. I just know if they’re kept around they’re probably going to get resigned, which would be a horrible idea
May 5 at 4:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
If it truly is going to be the last year for Marner and Tavares, fine. I just know if they’re kept around they’re probably going to get resigned, which would be a horrible idea

If the leafs let JT walk and signed Marner to 11m x 6 years I wouldnt be ecstatic but wouldn't be to bothered either as then you have JT's money to work with which is a lot

Can go get a cheaper 2c and other stuff like Bennett
May 5 at 4:42 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
Hyman didnt score then but how do we know what were seeing in EDM would not have happened

What we had wasnt prime Hyman and what EDM is getting be prime Hyman as through the years he's just been getting better and better.

Hyman had 7 playoff goals in 1 round for EDM. TOR scored 12 goals total

While we will never know losing him is biting them especially with the issue of this team having the inability to score via playoffs

Hyman plays with McDavid. That's why he scores more now. He's definitely a good player but he didn't score in TO either. No one scores in TO. Why?

Bertuzzi had 8 points in 7 games last year and had a goal this season. Did he forget how to play? Did Domi? No one scores in TO. The way they play is the same every year and they don't score. Why is that?

Changing the coach has to happen. It's a major problem, the system sucks for the playoff hockey. Get a new coach and see what happens.

You can make a very strong argument that Marner has to go, but if you can't get good value in trading him, keep him and hope a new coach can unlock something else there.
May 5 at 5:13 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
If the leafs let JT walk and signed Marner to 11m x 6 years I wouldnt be ecstatic but wouldn't be to bothered either as then you have JT's money to work with which is a lot

Can go get a cheaper 2c and other stuff like Bennett

No. I don’t want Marner resigning with this team unless it’s for like 8 mil or less. Which is not happening obviously. Not do I want JT back for anything over like 4 mil
May 5 at 5:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
No. I don’t want Marner resigning with this team unless it’s for like 8 mil or less. Which is not happening obviously. Not do I want JT back for anything over like 4 mil

He's never gonna agree to it and in open market can get what he's getting or more. Cause honestly after seeing Hyman leave us and dominate with EDM thats my fear with Marner. He goes to pick the team and when they make the playoffs he gives them 3 goals and 7 assists and helps them go to R2.

Both sides of the Marner camp rn have a valid argument rn and it sucks. As he's just gonna be another guy we drive away and then has more success elsewhere. Kadri still be laughing at us rn

JT time is up guys to slow and these playoffs was more of a ghost than Marner. Other than the PP goal noticed him on the Knies OT winner thats it

If TOR decided to stick to the young guys but build a very balanced team around them with JT's money things could be interesting

But again so many other factors involved
May 5 at 6:30 p.m.
Rip

This is just an emotional response again. Marner and JT are the problem.

The whole argument that if you didn't have those guys you would have better balance and score more in the playoffs. But no one scored for TO. No one does in the playoffs under Keefe. Ever. It's been a theme under him. Vs Columbus, then Montreal, then Tampa, then they got lucky once and then couldn't score vs Florida and now Tampa.

Why is that? Marner and JT are somehow working to make sure no one else scores? That doesn't make any sense.

People talking about "we could have kept Hyman, he scored 7 goals in the first round!". Well he didn't score in TO either. Bertuzzi had 8 points in the first round last year for Boston. He was brought in to be a playoff guy who produces, he didn't. Domi? Nope.

No one scores for TO. Doesn't matter if they did elsewhere they come here and nothing. People leave TO and produce. Why?

Fire the coach and get someone who knows how the NHL playoffs work. Keefe doesn't. He's the biggest problem on the team without question.
May 5 at 6:36 p.m.
Rip
He's never gonna agree to it and in open market can get what he's getting or more. Cause honestly after seeing Hyman leave us and dominate with EDM thats my fear with Marner. He goes to pick the team and when they make the playoffs he gives them 3 goals and 7 assists and helps them go to R2.

Both sides of the Marner camp rn have a valid argument rn and it sucks. As he's just gonna be another guy we drive away and then has more success elsewhere. Kadri still be laughing at us rn

JT time is up guys to slow and these playoffs was more of a ghost than Marner. Other than the PP goal noticed him on the Knies OT winner thats it

If TOR decided to stick to the young guys but build a very balanced team around them with JT's money things could be interesting

But again so many other factors involved

The whole "balanced roster idea" is so off base. Or at least it's not a real argument until we see what happens with a different coach. Because it can't be denied that no one scores under Keefe in the playoffs. I am sure you'll point to the 1 series where they found some success. But every other series with Keefe as the head coach, this team can't score in the playoffs.

Point to anyone, Hyman, whoever. He didn't score here with Keefe as the coach. He didn't. No one does.
May 5 at 9:20 p.m.
Now the rant.

Shanahan and Keefe need to be gone. Absolutely no justification for them being with this team next year. Tree get a bit of grace with it being his first year on the job but I want a new president pressuring him to make big changes.

Marner at a minimum need to be gone from the core 4. Tavares is going to be hard to move, but I don’t care, find a way. Buy him out if you have too. And maybe it’s an overreaction but I honestly think a Matthews trade should be explored. How many more crap playoff performances do we need to endure before we hold him accountable. I’m sick of Matthews getting a pass because he’s a generational talent. Trade him and get a massive haul and retool on the fly.

At this point I want them to look at Matthews trades. We need to stop only criticizing Marner and giving Matthews a pass. Matthews has been crap in the playoffs year after year and every year we go “well he’s a generational talent”. I don’t care, if he’s only going to score 1 goal every playoff round in a random game 2, he’s a useless player.

Here's my backup to your point: Imagine where Edmonton and Colorado would be if the likes of McDavid/Draisaitl, MacKinnon/Makar were putting up numbers that Matthews and Marner have these playoffs and past playoffs.

Our top players are paid similar to what other top players around the league make so the production offensively and defensively has to match that of other players around the league.
Saskleaf and Trickster liked this.
May 5 at 9:40 p.m.
Here's my argument for those who blame Keefe for the scoring issues and no I am not letting him off either its just not a clear cut case as many people think

In TOR in 13 of 14 couldnt get more than 3 goals

This was an issue that started game 5 of the TBL series last year so okay its Keefe

Hold on

Game 1-4 of that series TOR scored 3 goals game 1, 7 game 2, 4 game 3, and 5 game 4. Was Keefe not HC then?

Special teams were also good that series to. So what happened between game 4 and now

But after game 4 they just seemed to lose their playoff scoring Mojo to where the one time they scored 3 was with Boston's 1B in net.

Maybe a new coach or system will fix the issue but yea its a problem that needs to get fixed otherwise we go no where. Dont matter about regular season, or whose in net/dcore if we have trouble scoring especially on the PP were going no where.

Keefe has definitely been an issue but also part of why this discussion gets muddy is when the team continues to not start on time. We can point that as a coaching issue but at what point are we going to say "hey players wake the **** up and go earn those contracts and accolades media and fans have lauded your way".

Like game 4 of this series...team just didn't start on time and it went downhill from there but we're wondering why we couldn't win in game 7.

Why did it need to get to game 7? Oh...right..they handed games to Boston.
May 5 at 9:46 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: oneX
Here's my backup to your point: Imagine where Edmonton and Colorado would be if the likes of McDavid/Draisaitl, MacKinnon/Makar were putting up numbers that Matthews and Marner have these playoffs and past playoffs.

Our top players are paid similar to what other top players around the league make so the production offensively and defensively has to match that of other players around the league.

Marner had 9 points in 7 games vs the Bruins back when Babs was the coach. New coach comes in and no one in TO can score.

Our team does what the coach says and it doesn't work.

Keefe is gone.

If you can trade Marner and find value, then I think you can make a strong argument to do so. If it's a trade you lose cleanly, just keep him. JT's money, or most of it will go to the next wave of young guys coming up. Cowan and Minten are going to be really good players along with Knies. The team has good depth, especially if you can resign Domi at 4 or under for 4 years or so.

So fire the coaching staff, get a better replacement. That's the first major step needed. Who knows if it works. I don't believe these guys don't have it in them to win. But the team never scores.
oneX liked this.
May 5 at 9:50 p.m.
Quoting: fangm
I think you are massively underestimating how attractive this trade would be for Blake.

It's much easier to sell that he moved Villager and Clarke for Marner than having sold a top 6 PWF for 14 years of dead cap.

If he goes through with the buyout he's likely fired or close to it. This trade buys him time.

I'm not sure why you would want PLD as a Leaf. I mean sure, some of us are pissed off at Marner for his current and past playoff performances but we at least know he is a good regular season player.

What is PLD? A guy who plays when he feels like?

If a PLD trade is the best the Leafs can get then I'd rather just ride out Marner's contract and tell him sayonara at the end. It's not ideal but such is life.
May 5 at 9:54 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
Marner had 9 points in 7 games vs the Bruins back when Babs was the coach. New coach comes in and no one in TO can score.

Our team does what the coach says and it doesn't work.

Keefe is gone.

If you can trade Marner and find value, then I think you can make a strong argument to do so. If it's a trade you lose cleanly, just keep him. JT's money, or most of it will go to the next wave of young guys coming up. Cowan and Minten are going to be really good players along with Knies. The team has good depth, especially if you can resign Domi at 4 or under for 4 years or so.

So fire the coaching staff, get a better replacement. That's the first major step needed. Who knows if it works. I don't believe these guys don't have it in them to win. But the team never scores.

I'm taking the whole playoff history into account not just the Keefe ERA or Babcock ERA.

You can only use the coach excuse so much because when Marner and Matthews make as much $$$ there needs to be some self pride there to bring it regardless of what the situation is.
May 5 at 10:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Keefe has definitely been an issue but also part of why this discussion gets muddy is when the team continues to not start on time. We can point that as a coaching issue but at what point are we going to say "hey players wake the **** up and go earn those contracts and accolades media and fans have lauded your way".

Like game 4 of this series...team just didn't start on time and it went downhill from there but we're wondering why we couldn't win in game 7.

Why did it need to get to game 7? Oh...right..they handed games to Boston.

Yep game 3 to me they full on handed to BOS

0/5 PP said enough

Like what more can you say if your PP cant help yah.
oneX liked this.
May 5 at 10:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Expect Marner to VGK rumours with the R1 loss to DAL

Its the most VGK thing to see/happen
May 5 at 10:39 p.m.
Rip
I'm taking the whole playoff history into account not just the Keefe ERA or Babcock ERA.

You can only use the coach excuse so much because when Marner and Matthews make as much $$$ there needs to be some self pride there to bring it regardless of what the situation is.

Matthews gives it his all, no question. So does Marner I am sure but he's a pretty fragile guy so once things start turning on him, they get really bad.

Also using their first few playoff rounds when they were in their first few seasons is just not wise. Same with using different coaches. Too many variables. When trying to find causation you want to eliminate as many variables as possible to find root causes.

For the leafs in the Matthews era, many problems have come and gone. And all have certain degrees of impact. One constant in the Keefe era is the team can't score in the playoffs. They get figured out and their game plan goes to ****.

Credit does need to be given to Swayman and Boston for defending well. It wasn't going to be easy to score on them. Especially when the best goal scorer in the game was sick/hurt. Expecting TO to score a lot was ridiculous. Should have scored more for sure but it was going to be low scoring games.

Fire the coaching staff
May 5 at 10:44 p.m.
Amirov Forever
We're picking at 23. Right in Michael Hage range 👀
May 5 at 10:47 p.m.
Rip
Yep game 3 to me they full on handed to BOS

0/5 PP said enough

Like what more can you say if your PP cant help yah.

Sammy was very bad in that game as well. Terrible first goal, didn't look great on the 2nd and dropped his stick and went down early on the 3rd goal.

The coach doesn't make the right decisions, doesn't employ the right gameplan, and doesn't adjust. This is not new, it's literally the same thing every year in the Keefe era. A whole new staff (if it's the right coach, which muddies it all up) could push the right buttons to fix some of the problems. B
May 5 at 11:14 p.m.
I'm not sure why you would want PLD as a Leaf. I mean sure, some of us are pissed off at Marner for his current and past playoff performances but we at least know he is a good regular season player.

What is PLD? A guy who plays when he feels like?

If a PLD trade is the best the Leafs can get then I'd rather just ride out Marner's contract and tell him sayonara at the end. It's not ideal but such is life.

I don't want him but I think if we get him then we can get Clarke.
May 5 at 11:17 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
BTW,

Because London has made the OHL finals, TSN will be doing the coverage and you will all be able to watch the games legally. Happy to have you on the bandwagon to cheer on Cowan
May 5 at 11:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 6 at 3:28 a.m.
Sammy was very bad in that game as well. Terrible first goal, didn't look great on the 2nd and dropped his stick and went down early on the 3rd goal.

The coach doesn't make the right decisions, doesn't employ the right gameplan, and doesn't adjust. This is not new, it's literally the same thing every year in the Keefe era. A whole new staff (if it's the right coach, which muddies it all up) could push the right buttons to fix some of the problems. B

Again he wasnt the issue that game or series. Issue was our PP was dog**** 1/21 and this team couldnt score to save its life

Sammy had a 0.910 that game

Basically how we were playing was to where goalie had to get a shutout or only allow 1 goal to win not a viable strategy for a team who in the regular season averaged around 3.65 goals per game

This teams paying a bunch of guys to score but in 13 of their last 14 couldnt get it done enough

As said before did not matter who was in net the bigger problems caught up. 12 goals in 7 games = unacceptable for TOR who finished second in goals this season

Nylander came in late and had the same goals by the end as JT, Marner, Matthews combined lul. He gets the pass rest no way hose

Embarrassing as the last issue for TML should be scoring goals since game 5 of last playoff vs TBL they have had this problem

As for new coaching to solve its not enough. Marner Matthews and Willy have been here 8 years and JT 6 and of that 1 series win. Were paying these guys as if they won cups and for regular season performances but come playoffs the fizzle out with only Will performing good enough for now. Once that 11.5m kicks in he's also gonna have to step it up a bit. Enough its time for a change

Cant just keep building around the edges or replacing GM'S, HC, etc time to fix this team at its core

FLA was not afraid to trade Huberdeau

VGK trades guys almost all the time

Its time to start the winds of change and start a new era for TOR. Follow the raptor formula get a new HC and trade a core piece out to balance the team
May 6 at 2:35 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 6 at 3:11 a.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
We're picking at 23. Right in Michael Hage range 👀

Honestly this draft isn't crazy and I'm honestly tempted to say trade the pick for someone who can help the team now

We have a 4 year window and whoever we draft probs not be ready for 2-5 years as that's often the case with these guys

Brad should target an RFA or someone with term who can be a nice piece here like with what TBL did with Hagel or AVS did with Lehkonen

Keep Cowen but everything else should be on the table to improve this team especially if JT or Marner won't waive

Division is only gonna get better next year we can't wait to long

Necas, Farabee, Gustavsson, Saros, heck even Jireck could all be options to explore

Personally would love to get Farabee

24 years old and still a lot of potential

Another guy on the flyers would love to try and get Sean Couturier. He was frustrated with Torts and I think it could boil over. He makes a tonne of sense here as he can be JTs replacement
May 6 at 8:40 a.m.
Rip
Again he wasnt the issue that game or series. Issue was our PP was dog**** 1/21 and this team couldnt score to save its life

Sammy had a 0.910 that game

Basically how we were playing was to where goalie had to get a shutout or only allow 1 goal to win not a viable strategy for a team who in the regular season averaged around 3.65 goals per game

This teams paying a bunch of guys to score but in 13 of their last 14 couldnt get it done enough

As said before did not matter who was in net the bigger problems caught up. 12 goals in 7 games = unacceptable for TOR who finished second in goals this season

Nylander came in late and had the same goals by the end as JT, Marner, Matthews combined lul. He gets the pass rest no way hose

Embarrassing as the last issue for TML should be scoring goals since game 5 of last playoff vs TBL they have had this problem

As for new coaching to solve its not enough. Marner Matthews and Willy have been here 8 years and JT 6 and of that 1 series win. Were paying these guys as if they won cups and for regular season performances but come playoffs the fizzle out with only Will performing good enough for now. Once that 11.5m kicks in he's also gonna have to step it up a bit. Enough its time for a change

Cant just keep building around the edges or replacing GM'S, HC, etc time to fix this team at its core

FLA was not afraid to trade Huberdeau

VGK trades guys almost all the time

Its time to start the winds of change and start a new era for TOR. Follow the raptor formula get a new HC and trade a core piece out to balance the team

Florida won the Tkachuck trade. Do you think we are going to win a Marner trade? We literally have the GM who lost that trade making the decisions.
Random2152 and Trickster liked this.
May 6 at 10:47 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Well it's pretty clear by now that Shanahan is a huge problem. I am not a fan of Treliving either.

So at this point, what's the best idea, lose a Marner trade, spend that cap on more Bertuzzi's and Domi's? How many goals did those guys score in games 5 through 7?

That's where I get really annoyed with this talk, blame Marner or JT or Matthews and say it's the lack of depth that kills them. Well Bertuzzi and Domi are supposed to be difference makers in the playoffs and made no difference for TO.

Willy made a difference. Matthews when healthy made a difference. I am not sure what to do with Marner. But the coach has to go and the Blueline needs to be fixed. It needs to get younger and more mobile while also being physical.

Bert and Domi had more goals than Marner did and both were cheaper against the cap... Bert had more points and so did Domi...

Both of them were also not caught lacking on the goal that costed them the series (for the 5th time this series)...

Bert and Domi tied TO's lead for points with AM34 (but AM34 gets more credit as he played injured and 2 less games)

Matthews made a difference when hurt... G3: 8 hits, multiple grade A chances, G4: 6 hits: multiple good chances... G7: 1 assist and was the only line to have consistent pressure on Boston... That difference wasn't enough...

Trade Marner, Fire Keefe, Fire Shanny and hope Carolina does sh1t agaisnt the Rangers and throw a ton of money at RBA's way
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll