Forums/Armchair-GM

24-25

Created by: swinny
Team: 2024-25 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 17, 2024
Published: Apr. 28, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Oddly, I found this a difficult roster with which to work. The forward corps is solid, deep and can play, yet there is a need to add. Finding a "fit" to move a contract off the blueline equally difficult. I thought this would be one of the easier teams - defintely not. All the pieces are there, but finding the possible move to push it forward that made sense took weeks..... literally. For me, just wasn't sold on what was available via the UFA market given where I see the Wings at - felt too much money amd term would be required. The goaltending remains questionable; but again, there simply isn't a clear upgrade on Husso that has a buyout making any sense.

Still, the forward corps is just deep and frankly, interchangeable. Lots of possibilities on how to mix and match there. Set up again to roll 4 lines.

The blueline remains intact for the most part, but this is just Edvinsson's time.

UFA Signings:

Kulikov: A slight upgrade on Holl, and cheaper imo. Has the size and bite to his game Yzerman would be looking for. Easily fits the line up as an insurance policy on Edvinsson; and allows another year for Wallinder to develop.

Kane: Some may see as the number being light, but if he wants to stay in Detroit, I think the number works. Close to his prorated deal from 23-24. Maybe older than I like, but he fit and got better as he found his legs.

Side Notes:

1. As mentioned, would really like to improve on Husso - but there simply isn't a way to do that in the market without moving assets. Not about to do that. So, fingers crossed Lyon can repeat and Husso can somewhat put it together.

2. Garland lol. Oh, I am sure Wings fans will dislike it, but a means of getting out of Holl's contract (which will be difficult). Contigent if the parties want that marriage to end. Still, I think Garland is a solid short term fit. Like the goaltending, there just wasn't much if anything in the UFA market worth persuing that would have moved the needle here - imo anyhow.

3. The forward lines are quite interchangeable except for the 1st (that I roll with). I think that could prove to be an additional advantage for the Wings.

4. Some want Kasper on the team. I think he needs another year to round out his game. Definitely a first call up option.

5. Sill enough cap to sign a depth player..... pick one.

Overall:

Still see this as a team that pushes for a wildcard spot. The talent is there. The big question is goaltending. And where yes, I guess it can be improved, the cost of doing so asset wise just doesn't make sense right now.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$6,000,000
2$950,000
2$2,000,000
8$8,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,500,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
DET
  1. Garland, Conor
Additional Details:
If Garland still wants out of Vancouver...... this is quite functional. Simply nothing in the UFA market that for me fits the Wings for the money and term required to bring them in. Clearly, if Garland has changed his mind, or Vancouver has changed their mind on him - this just doesn't happen.

He maybe smaller than I would like, but he can generate offense (40-50 points), even with his icetime decreasing in Vancouver. Puts pucks on the net, an above average shooting percentage.

I get his night to night performance is polarizing it seems. But, seeing this as a change of scenery deal. Holl won't be easy to move. Vancouver's blueline need filling out, and neither contract is particularly great - let's be honest.

But, what made the Wings team push for a spot in 23-24 was the offense balance amongst the forwards. Garland fits that construct without adding major money or term on the books. It allows the time for another year for Kasper to marinate and the time to develop Danielson.
VAN
  1. Holl, Justin
Additional Details:
Holl simply didn't fit into Detroit has planned. Plain and simple. Struggled to find a role..... and ultimately didn't.

Having said that, Holl is still a very effusive 3rd pairing D that can play up the line up. I know full well how maligned he was as a Leaf, but that people was more the media than the game imo. Still, just like Garland's contract is inflated for what he does, so is Holl's.

What works here for the Canucks is:

1. They need 3 D to fill out the blueline. Holl I think can fit nicely with Soucy on the 3rd pair. He can play up the line up in a pinch and munch some minutes.

2. Canucks save about $1.5 million in cap space while not taking on term.

3. Seems like they want to move on from Garland, and if things remain the same as at the beginning of the year, so does Garland.

Really, the ole "change of scenery" deal.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$87,700,000$86,405,140$0$850,000$1,294,860
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NTC
UFA - 7
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
UFA
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,100,000$5,100,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
RFA
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 4
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
RW, LW
RFA
$878,333$878,333
LW, C
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
RFA
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,500,000$8,500,000
RD
RFA
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 2
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 28 at 1:14 p.m.
VAN trades a 45-50 point forward for a guy who couldn't even push JEFF PETRY out of a spot.

... That's probably a no.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:17 p.m.
Nevermind that this gives us:

Raymond - 5' 11" 188 lbs
Debrincat - 5' 8" 180 lbs
Kane - 5' 10" 177 lbs
Fabbri - 6' 1" 185 lbs
Garland - 5' 10" 165 lbs

Nah.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:22 p.m.
VAN
Mikheyev for Holl
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:24 p.m.
Quoting: Prime_Jimbo
Mikheyev for Holl

Or we could just buy Holl out for peanuts...
Apr. 28 at 1:25 p.m.
Quoting: DanielSan92
VAN trades a 45-50 point forward for a guy who couldn't even push JEFF PETRY out of a spot.

... That's probably a no.

One season doesn't define what Holl is. However, I think everything depends on whether one or both sides want to end the relationship. Holl in Detroit was always a head scratcher. I frankly never saw that fit. Soucy and Holl I think make a good 3rd pairing.

Garland's contract is inflated. Fact.... and that makes a move difficult. Moreover, there are debates on his consistency.

The buy in for the Canucks here is the $1.5 million in cap savings......
Apr. 28 at 1:26 p.m.
Nevermind that this gives us:

Raymond - 5' 11" 188 lbs
Debrincat - 5' 8" 180 lbs
Kane - 5' 10" 177 lbs
Fabbri - 6' 1" 185 lbs
Garland - 5' 10" 165 lbs

Nah.

I noted the size factor. Agreed. Less than ideal.
DanielSan92 liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:26 p.m.
Mikheyev for Holl

Another direction to go. Soup has energy. His finishing however is interesting.
Apr. 28 at 1:27 p.m.
Quoting: swinny
One season doesn't define what Holl is. However, I think everything depends on whether one or both sides want to end the relationship. Holl in Detroit was always a head scratcher. I frankly never saw that fit. Soucy and Holl I think make a good 3rd pairing.

Garland's contract is inflated. Fact.... and that makes a move difficult. Moreover, there are debates on his consistency.

The buy in for the Canucks here is the $1.5 million in cap savings......

"One season doesn't define what Holl is."

Ummm, he was **** in Toronto and people were scratching their heads as soon as the contract was announced. This is not "Good player had a bad season".

He's not good. He's getting bought out this season. Likely by Detroit, unless they can find somebody willing to take him without having to throw any compensation their way.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:27 p.m.
Or we could just buy Holl out for peanuts...

Looked at that. And although an option, thins out options to fill in the forward units imo.
Apr. 28 at 1:30 p.m.
Looked at that. And although an option, thins out options to fill in the forward units imo.

We don't have to fill in the forward units though.

Raymond back. Veleno likely back. I'd re-sign Fischer. That doesn't account for the possibility of Berggren/Kane/Perron returning.

Realistically what cap we'll have left after extending Seider/Raymond and hopefully Kane is going to have to go to the abomination that is our RHD.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:31 p.m.
"One season doesn't define what Holl is."

Ummm, he was **** in Toronto and people were scratching their heads as soon as the contract was announced. This is not "Good player had a bad season".

He's not good. He's getting bought out this season. Likely by Detroit, unless they can find somebody willing to take him without having to throw any compensation their way.

Disagree. I am not about to claim Holl was a world beater as a Leaf, but was solid. The media was particularly hard on him..... and was playing more minutes than he should have been which did affect is game.

Playing within his means he is solid. Not great, but solid. Not worth the contract for sure. But in this scenario, neither is Garland frankly. Garland is simply easier to flip with retention than burning cap space on a buyout.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:35 p.m.
We don't have to fill in the forward units though.

Raymond back. Veleno likely back. I'd re-sign Fischer. That doesn't account for the possibility of Berggren/Kane/Perron returning.

Realistically what cap we'll have left after extending Seider/Raymond and hopefully Kane is going to have to go to the abomination that is our RHD.

The RD I leave for the year imo.

Sandin Pellika is closer than some may think (provided he signs of course); Gibson looks good as well - albeit it further out.

What is available on the RD doesn't do much for me honestly. Not sure it moves the needle fornthe Wings either. If the right fir was there, absolutely. Just not sold it is.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:36 p.m.
Disagree. I am not about to claim Holl was a world beater as a Leaf, but was solid. The media was particularly hard on him..... and was playing more minutes than he should have been which did affect is game.

Playing within his means he is solid. Not great, but solid. Not worth the contract for sure. But in this scenario, neither is Garland frankly. Garland is simply easier to flip with retention than burning cap space on a buyout.

He's terrible, but we're not gonna agree on that point so I'll move on to the next... I'd take Holl bought out at $1.1M x 4 over Garland flipped retaining $2.425M x 2.

The four years sucks, yeah. But in years three and four we're likely to see Danielson/Kasper/ASP on the roster at ELC money, with the cap at about $96.6M.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:37 p.m.
The RD I leave for the year imo.

Sandin Pellika is closer than some may think (provided he signs of course); Gibson looks good as well - albeit it further out.

What is available on the RD doesn't do much for me honestly. Not sure it moves the needle fornthe Wings either. If the right fir was there, absolutely. Just not sold it is.

ASP is likely two years away. Yzerman's already said the team would prefer him back in the SHL next season, and he probably gets a season in GR after that to acclimate himself with smaller ice.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:39 p.m.
PDG over PDO
Yeah there's no Value here for Vancouver at all, Garland has been abouslety fantastic this year for us and has driven our "3rd" line all year to be one of the best 3rd lines in the leauge, he's pretty untouchable right unless a perfect offer came along, this Is certainly not that package I have doubts that Holl would even beat out Juulsen on our blue line, the value here is completely out to lunch. Vancouver certainly isn't looking to move him and Garlands never asked out
remowilliams liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:43 p.m.
He's terrible, but we're not gonna agree on that point so I'll move on to the next... I'd take Holl bought out at $1.1M x 4 over Garland flipped retaining $2.425M x 2.

The four years sucks, yeah. But in years three and four we're likely to see Danielson/Kasper/ASP on the roster at ELC money, with the cap at about $96.6M.

Valid point. I mean there is an argument Kasper is there this year- I don't see it, which is why I tried to be inventive.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:45 p.m.
Valid point. I mean there is an argument Kasper is there this year- I don't see it, which is why I tried to be inventive.

I don't see it either. Yzerman already said in the season closer that while a summer of improvement could change things, he doesn't see anybody outside Berggren and Johansson being a possibility for the NHL roster.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:47 p.m.
Quoting: theleano1
Yeah there's no Value here for Vancouver at all, Garland has been abouslety fantastic this year for us and has driven our "3rd" line all year to be one of the best 3rd lines in the leauge, he's pretty untouchable right unless a perfect offer came along, this Is certainly not that package I have doubts that Holl would even beat out Juulsen on our blue line, the value here is completely out to lunch. Vancouver certainly isn't looking to move him and Garlands never asked out

As I said in the trade, the whole thing depends on if anyone wants the marriage to end. It certainly seemed that way.

As for Juulsen, maybe he is a late bloomer, but I am.not sold on him. I think Holl is solid. Not worth the contract (as I said), but neither is Garland.

The point is, if Garland and the Canucks have made up, there is zero reason to entertain anything.
Apr. 28 at 1:50 p.m.
I don't see it either. Yzerman already said in the season closer that while a summer of improvement could change things, he doesn't see anybody outside Berggren and Johansson being a possibility for the NHL roster.

Berggren should be there I think.

Really, the last thing to do here is add a contract that is pricey and with term. Anywhere for anyone. At this juncture it makes no sense for the Wings imo.

The team there. The goaltending isn't. And even there, moving assets to improve that right now lacks logic.

Just a strange offseason for the Wings. Need to push the envelope, but doing so doesn't fit at the moment. Almost feels like running it back is the best choice.
Apr. 28 at 1:52 p.m.
Berggren should be there I think.

Really, the last thing to do here is add a contract that is pricey and with term. Anywhere for anyone. At this juncture it makes no sense for the Wings imo.

The team there. The goaltending isn't. And even there, moving assets to improve that right now lacks logic.

Just a strange offseason for the Wings. Need to push the envelope, but doing so doesn't fit at the moment. Almost feels like running it back is the best choice.

Realistically, Berggren and Johansson either have to be here or will be on another team. They're not making it through waivers.

I don't think goaltending is the greater issue here. Ned was good before he got here. He's good after he left here. Husso was good before he got here.

The defense is a ****ing abomination. Ed should help. Getting an NHL caliber RHD behind Seider would help even more.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 1:55 p.m.
Realistically, Berggren and Johansson either have to be here or will be on another team. They're not making it through waivers.

I don't think goaltending is the greater issue here. Ned was good before he got here. He's good after he left here. Husso was good before he got here.

The defense is a ****ing abomination. Ed should help. Getting an NHL caliber RHD behind Seider would help even more.

🤔🤔🤔

Both Ned and Husso were good for one year before Detroit. Now, Ned as a Pen was quite solid.

Not saying your point about the RD isn't wrong, but short of going after Montour, not sure what is there does anything..... and Montour is gonna be $$$ witha term I don't see aging well.

Rock and a hard place situation.
Apr. 28 at 1:58 p.m.
🤔🤔🤔

Both Ned and Husso were good for one year before Detroit. Now, Ned as a Pen was quite solid.

Not saying your point about the RD isn't wrong, but short of going after Montour, not sure what is there does anything..... and Montour is gonna be $$$ witha term I don't see aging well.

Rock and a hard place situation.

Personally, I'd either trade a mid to late pick for early access to Roy, or throw together a package for Andersson.

I'm not overly high on 2024, so I wouldn't blink at centering a trade package around 15OA.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 28 at 3:13 p.m.
Lmao this is a terrible trade for the Canucks. Garland was one of our best forwards all season long and is actually worth his contract. We aren’t trading him for an overpaid, bad 3rd pair dman who’s already a buyout candidate 1 year into his contract
theleano1 liked this.
Apr. 28 at 3:15 p.m.
Mikheyev for Holl

It's not about the player coming to Detroit. It's about cap space and trading Holl for Garland or Mikheyev gives Detroit less cap space. Plus, Garland and Mikheyev both have more term than Holl.
Prime_Jimbo liked this.
Apr. 29 at 6:18 a.m.
Esquire
Having closely looked at Berggren and Raymond these past 2 years, Berggren should pull 75-80% AAV compared to Raymond. 950k AAV is a pretty massive undervalue and an insult to his skill level.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll