SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2024 2025 Offseason Discussion Part 1: Kill or Be Killed

May 24 at 11:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I’d LOVE to take a swing on Beavillier on a deal like that. Think there’s potential for real reward there

Projections have him 900k yea I would explore it

As IMO one of Vrana, Arvidsson, Beau, Lebanc would not be bad options on 1 year gamble deals
May 25 at 2:39 a.m.
Quoting: Trickster
I'd want Pinto and Kleven

I'd like those two players as well but I don't think Ottawa is dumb enough to trade them.
May 25 at 2:45 a.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
Marner scored when Babcock was the coach but not much since Keefe took over. The coach deserves way more blame than he gets. Hopefully Berube does better

There's no more "hopefully". For better or worse, the coach excuse is over. Either the core guys elevate their play or it's not ever happening for the Leafs with these guys.

How long do you want to keep going with first round exits before you think it's time to have these guys be accountable? It's already been 7-8 years.
Trickster liked this.
May 25 at 2:51 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Honestly man im stuck on OTT as a trade partner for Marner. NSH is the close second but in terms of forward value OTT is the team

Something like

Marner + Timmins for Greig + Batherson + Chycrun would not be bad IMO

You get 2 nice wings and a top 4 Dman for Marner with Timmins as the throw in

Chycrun can take over PP1 moving Rielly to PP2

I don't see an Ottawa trade happening. The guys I'd want probably aren't available and everyone else seem like players I wouldn't want.

Chycrun is the best example for this. Everyone was saying how good he was on a bad Arizona team but then when he was traded to Ottawa, nothing changed. He didn't help elevate the D in Ottawa and..infact the D was as horrible as ever even when his advanced analytics are suggesting he was good.

I want nothing to do with him.
Trickster liked this.
May 25 at 4:23 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 25 at 4:30 a.m.
Quoting: oneX
I don't see an Ottawa trade happening. The guys I'd want probably aren't available and everyone else seem like players I wouldn't want.

Chycrun is the best example for this. Everyone was saying how good he was on a bad Arizona team but then when he was traded to Ottawa, nothing changed. He didn't help elevate the D in Ottawa and..infact the D was as horrible as ever even when his advanced analytics are suggesting he was good.

I mean let's be real was OTT any better than Arizona. Defense was still optional there and it seems they bring the worst out of these guys. Look at Debrincat before and after OTT

Chycrun primary partners were Chabot and JBD not really all that great when yah think about it.

Brad knows how to build a Dcore and like Reilly you get him the right partner your set.

Like just imagine

Rielly-Demelo
Chycrun-Roy
Benoit - McCabe

But also how could you not want that Chycrun clapper on our PP
oneX liked this.
May 25 at 8:30 a.m.
Rip
There's no more "hopefully". For better or worse, the coach excuse is over. Either the core guys elevate their play or it's not ever happening for the Leafs with these guys.

How long do you want to keep going with first round exits before you think it's time to have these guys be accountable? It's already been 7-8 years.

Emotional
May 25 at 8:31 a.m.

That is a really weird take. He was good in Arizona and good in Ottawa. No one's saying he's a bonafide 1D right now, but that's a guy who can put up 15-20(+) goals and 40-50(+) points from the backend while also being pretty solid defensively. Why on Earth would you want nothing to do with him?
aadoyle and oneX liked this.
May 25 at 8:31 a.m.
Rip
I mean let's be real was OTT any better than Arizona. Defense was still optional there and it seems they bring the worst out of these guys. Look at Debrincat before and after OTT

Chycrun primary partners were Chabot and JBD not really all that great when yah think about it.

Brad knows how to build a Dcore and like Reilly you get him the right partner your set.

Like just imagine

Rielly-Demelo
Chycrun-Roy
Benoit - McCabe

Chychrun wasn't very good last year. Calgary hasn't been great defensively for 2 years. People don't pay attention
May 25 at 11:08 a.m.
average joe
Just looked at NHL leaders.

Most Points - 4 Oilers.
Most Goals - former Leaf Hyman.
Best GAA - current Leaf Woll.
Most Wins - Top 4 are goalies from Teams still alive.

Maybe the Hyman argument needs to be whether Hyman, Mikheyev, Campbell and Hyman are worth 15.25M per year.
May 25 at 12:13 p.m.
Rip
That is a really weird take. He was good in Arizona and good in Ottawa. No one's saying he's a bonafide 1D right now, but that's a guy who can put up 15-20(+) goals and 40-50(+) points from the backend while also being pretty solid defensively. Why on Earth would you want nothing to do with him?

In reality, Chychrun has not been pretty solid defensively.
May 25 at 12:19 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Emotional

Do you even know the definition of that word?
Your beyond ridiculous at this point and continue to skirt the issue.

The first round exists are not just on the coach, players are the ones on the ice and are men, not kids
aadoyle liked this.
May 25 at 12:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Yep

But lets be real here the moment he want from ARI to OTT people were joking his numbers were gonna drop as it just seems to be a thing that happens to players there

Ducnene, Debrincat and now add him to the list.

To me you bring him here give him the right partner and put him on PP 1 were set
May 25 at 1:42 p.m.
In reality, Chychrun has not been pretty solid defensively.

Based on?
May 25 at 1:47 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Trickster
Do you even know the definition of that word?
Your beyond ridiculous at this point and continue to skirt the issue.

The first round exists are not just on the coach, players are the ones on the ice and are men, not kids

When people are making decisions because they are mad. What else do you call it? It's a known fact that people are generally not good at regulating their emotions and seeing how angry people are about this sports team is a good indicator of that.
Rip
Based on?

His results.
Leafs going to Leafs
It's more like $4m in cap space, but that's not lost on me. Doesn't change my opinion.

It should... The thing with a Marner trade isn't about bringing in another star guy... Then, the issue stays the same... It's about having more depth in other areas...

Marner scored when Babcock was the coach but not much since Keefe took over. The coach deserves way more blame than he gets. Hopefully Berube does better

In playoffs:
Marner with Babcock: 17 pts in 20 games (.85 PPG)
Marner with Keefe: 33 pts in 37 games (.89 PPG)

Marner with Babcock: 5 goals in 20 games (.25 GPG)
Marner with Keefe: 6 goals in 37 games (.16 GPG)

And this is including the BOS series, his worst effort-level series of his career... We take that out and:

Marner pts: 30 pts in 30 games (1 PPG)
Marner goals: 5 goals in 30 games (.166 GPG)

So, you are wrong...
RipNasty liked this.
May 25 at 1:53 p.m.
His results.

K, not gonna bother if this is how you're gonna be
May 25 at 1:58 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
It should... The thing with a Marner trade isn't about bringing in another star guy... Then, the issue stays the same... It's about having more depth in other areas...

Until that money is spent, it's magic beans. Last year that $4m went to John Klingberg. And the idea of depth comes from the top down. The trade should absolutely be about bringing in another star guy one way or the other, just a different one to change the mix and hopefully at a better price point.
May 25 at 3:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Until that money is spent, it's magic beans. Last year that $4m went to John Klingberg. And the idea of depth comes from the top down. The trade should absolutely be about bringing in another star guy one way or the other, just a different one to change the mix and hopefully at a better price point.

The one thing I will say about Klingberg is we sure could have used him for that BOS series as our PP stunk and maybe he would have helped it at least be 3/21 or something lul

Its just the 4m price point that was the big problem but hey was only for a year. At 2.5m I dont think anyone would have batted an eye but what can yah do

But what I think Brad was going for in that signing was the fact TOR lacks a legit threat on that backend offensively besides MO who also didnt have the best of series vs. BOS in comparison to the B2B TBL series we saw.
May 25 at 9:31 p.m.

Like just imagine

Rielly-Demelo
Chycrun-Roy
Benoit - McCabe

I'm not questioning Treliving's ability to build a menacing defense. All I was saying is Chycrun from a defensive side of the game isn't as great as the Leafs probably need him to be.

I think everyone looks at his offensive stats and the shot he has and think "hey he would look great on our blueline". I watched a few Sens games this year and seriously, Chycrun didn't look that impressive defensively.
May 25 at 9:38 p.m.

Right, he's not a bonafide number 1 D, that's the problem. We need at least one of those. Now we may not be able to add one this off season but that doesn't necessarily mean adding Chycrun is a good idea.

The other thought we may want to consider is if traded for Chycrun, what does a deal for him look like? Then...compare it to what Montour might get soon.

I'd hate to trade for Chycrun specifically speaking and then on his new contract he's making more than 7+ million. I don't view Chycrun as a 7+ million D.
May 25 at 9:46 p.m.
Edited May 25 at 9:56 p.m.
When people are making decisions because they are mad. What else do you call it? It's a known fact that people are generally not good at regulating their emotions and seeing how angry people are about this sports team is a good indicator of that.

I wasn't mad when I made the post about coach excuses being a non starter anymore. I was being rational based on the number of years this core has had to develop and grow up to realize what it really takes to win in the playoffs.

I'll tell you what...people can accuse me of being harsh on the team but you know what nobody will ever accuse me of regarding this team? Blind homerism.

BTW you never answered the question. I mean I don't care if you do but I was curious to at least know what's your limit on when you're done making excuses for the core guys. It's fine...you don't have to have a limit LoL.
May 26 at 2:49 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 26 at 4:03 p.m.
I'm not questioning Treliving's ability to build a menacing defense. All I was saying is Chycrun from a defensive side of the game isn't as great as the Leafs probably need him to be.

I think everyone looks at his offensive stats and the shot he has and think "hey he would look great on our blueline". I watched a few Sens games this year and seriously, Chycrun didn't look that impressive defensively.

I never look at how guys play in OTT as it seems OTT is a place where the soul leaves yah and yah struggle

Duchene and Debrincat were notables

Its like the new culture there is **** around and hurt perceptions around yah lul

Like to me Chycrun comes we get the guy being a monster in ARI we set

https://x.com/JFreshHockey/status/1631069513381732352
May 26 at 4:02 p.m.
If anyone is interested, I have my own Youtube channel talking about the Leafs. I just made a video talking about potential destinations for Marner. If anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tch2iuuovY - Hope everyone is well <3
May 26 at 5:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 26 at 6:05 p.m.
David Kampf and CZH win gold at the IIHF world tournament

Holmberg and SWE win bronze

Tavares and CAN nothing

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll