$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 18 at 9:57 p.m.
CBJ don’t want Marner. Stop wasting your time.
May 18 at 10:33 p.m.
Quoting: Jacketsman61
CBJ don’t want Marner. Stop wasting your time.

They were ready to offer sheet him.

Im pretty certain they are interested especially when goal scoring has been a constant issue and defensive play from forwards
May 18 at 10:40 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Quoting: CakeEaterBanks

Im pretty certain they are interested especially when goal scoring has been a constant issue and defensive play from forwards

The GM who made the offersheet was fired. The team has since signed two expensive wingers. They are developing a lot of young, skilled players and were 11th in 5v5 goal scoring and only 4 goals behind 6th so goal scoring is not an issue. Another expensive winger does not get the Jackets closer to the playoffs. Young players who fit the same timeline as Fantilli are what make sense for the Jackets.
Viqsi liked this.
May 18 at 10:41 p.m.
Edited May 18 at 10:47 p.m.

They could be but probably aren't giving up those two pieces. Their biggest need is C, so Sillinger is probably not going anywhere, and no one gives up their RD prospects up that easily. They have a heavy surplus of wingers, especially RFA wingers that need new contracts.

Utah is not going to give up one of their top 6F for that package. They are looking to add a top 6F (and top 4D) not lose one.
Viqsi liked this.
May 18 at 10:46 p.m.

Good lord man that was like 5 years ago. The Jackets moved on and Jarmo is gone. Jarmo tried to sign him to replace Panarin who left via FA. Marner since then has proved to be a great reg season player but a very poor playoff player. He is over paid. That deal killed his value.
Viqsi liked this.
May 18 at 10:48 p.m.
Quoting: dk325
The GM who made the offersheet was fired. The team has since signed two expensive wingers. They are developing a lot of young, skilled players and were 11th in 5v5 goal scoring and only 4 goals behind 6th so goal scoring is not an issue. Another expensive winger does not get the Jackets closer to the playoffs. Young players who fit the same timeline as Fantilli are what make sense for the Jackets.

The President who authorize that offer sheet is still there lmao.

Marner is 27 and fits the timeline to help the Jackets get into the playoffs.

Plus having Marner would unlock another level in Marchenko game.
May 18 at 10:49 p.m.
Good lord man that was like 5 years ago. The Jackets moved on and Jarmo is gone. Jarmo tried to sign him to replace Panarin who left via FA. Marner since then has proved to be a great reg season player but a very poor playoff player. He is over paid. That deal killed his value.

To get into the playoffs you need elite regular season players.

FYI check Matthew Tkachuk playoff stats in Calgary. That didn't tank his value and won't tank Marner's.
May 18 at 11:01 p.m.
SkateOrDie
every single team here declines.
Just some 1 sided garbage.
May 18 at 11:01 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
The President who authorize that offer sheet is still there lmao.

Marner is 27 and fits the timeline to help the Jackets get into the playoffs.

Plus having Marner would unlock another level in Marchenko game.

Dude, give it up. You clearly are speaking out of your ass. JD resigned on May 17 and signed with the Rangers 2 days later. He literally was not a part of the org when that happened. God damn you Leafs fans are impossibly dense.
Viqsi liked this.
May 18 at 11:02 p.m.
Edited May 19 at 12:11 a.m.

CLB has bigger issues than getting a winger, but Marner isn't overpaid at 10.9M (he'll likely be on his next deal). As an RFA he probably shouldn't have gotten that deal (or at least 2 more years), but he's lived up to it and is an 11M winger today. As much as flack, Marner gets for his playoff performance he's still a PPG player in the playoffs, and a change of scenery could do him good. CLB probably still needs to get into the playoffs before they worry about his performance, but if they aren't filling their needs, they probably don't make it even with Marner.

If there were a trade between the two it's probably Laine + an Rfa winger +, but since Laine is in the assistance program (even if he gets out he's played a limited amount of games since his injury) he can't be traded. So, the timeline for his return and a Marner trade probably don't line up, unless Marner is being dealt as a rental at TDL for a smaller return.
May 18 at 11:03 p.m.
Dude, give it up. You clearly are speaking out of your ass. JD resigned on May 17 and signed with the Rangers 2 days later. He literally was not a part of the org when that happened. God damn you Leafs fans are impossibly dense.

You think they start talking about that after the playoffs lmfao.

I think you're the one who dense especially when trades are done by the agents not by the GMs 90% of the time
May 18 at 11:08 p.m.
To get into the playoffs you need elite regular season players.

FYI check Matthew Tkachuk playoff stats in Calgary. That didn't tank his value and won't tank Marner's.

You are really trying to compare Marner to Tkachuk?? The Tkachuk boys are soooo much better than Marner. Look at the contract values. Tkachuk signed for much less and is by far better. This about the dumbest argument you could make.
May 18 at 11:08 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
CLB has bigger issues than getting a winger, but Marner isn't overpaid at 10.9M (he'll likely be on his next deal). As an RFA he probably shouldn't have gotten that deal (or at least 2 more years), but he's lived up to it and is an 11M winger today. As much as flack, Marner gets for his playoff performance he's still a PPG player in the playoffs, and a change of scenery could do him good. CLB probably still needs to get into the playoffs before they worry about his performance though.

If there were a trade between the two it's probably Laine + an Rfa winger +, but since Laine is in the assistance program (even if he gets out he's played a limited amount of games since his injury) he can't be traded. So, the timeline for his return and a Marner trade probably don't line up, unless Marner is being dealt as a rental at TDL for a smaller return.

For me the reason I am trading Marner is because he's lost the respect of the city and unfortunately we have to admit it will never work out with him.

I know for a fact he will be elite playoff player the second we trade him but the reality is it won't ever be here and we need right shot on the point that can open up the wing for Matthews on the power play. There's a reason why the PP in February was at like 50% when Rielly was out. IT was because Liljegren QB the 1st PP. Jireck is guy that can become that and as much as I like Montour its a bad signing waiting to happen.

Maybe we trade Marner to get Artym Levnshov to get a top 5 pick but a Marner trade needs to happen and Tree and Shanty knows it
May 18 at 11:11 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
You think they start talking about that after the playoffs lmfao.

I think you're the one who dense especially when trades are done by the agents not by the GMs 90% of the time

You think his mind was on offersheeting Mitch Marner when he clearly had his job in New York lined up well before the season ended? Stop being thick. You're simply wrong.

Ok, so now you're just moving the goalposts. First you said the team offersheeted Marner so they must still be interested. Then because the GM has since been fired you said the President is still there. Then when you find out the President wasn't there when this offersheet happened you say the agents are the ones who really make the trades. Shut up already. You Leaf fans are just exhausting. Your proposals suck, they make no sense, and they're never going to happen. The Leafs suck and are going to suck for another 60 years at least and you get to watch them blow the Matthews window live. Enjoy.
Viqsi liked this.
May 18 at 11:12 p.m.
You are really trying to compare Marner to Tkachuk?? The Tkachuk boys are soooo much better than Marner. Look at the contract values. Tkachuk signed for much less and is by far better. This about the dumbest argument you could make.

Tkachuk contract value is inflated by zero state tax in Florida. If he signed elsewhere it would've been for more money.

As for comparison that is a fair compassion as he was the last true elite winger available and look at the price Florida payed for him with no contract. Hubderdeau (at the time 1st line forward), Weever (top pairing Dean) and a 1st. Not saying it will be the same value but it should be the basis of any Marner trade
May 18 at 11:21 p.m.
You think his mind was on offersheeting Mitch Marner when he clearly had his job in New York lined up well before the season ended? Stop being thick. You're simply wrong.

Ok, so now you're just moving the goalposts. First you said the team offersheeted Marner so they must still be interested. Then because the GM has since been fired you said the President is still there. Then when you find out the President wasn't there when this offersheet happened you say the agents are the ones who really make the trades. Shut up already. You Leaf fans are just exhausting. Your proposals suck, they make no sense, and they're never going to happen. The Leafs suck and are going to suck for another 60 years at least and you get to watch them blow the Matthews window live. Enjoy.

LMAO the last time the jackets were relevant was when they had walk back the Mike Babcock signing so you can't really talk about Leafs blowing Matthews window.

As. for my proposals look back I've been close on actual proposals that went through in real life and even overpaid on most. I had Domi, Murphy and Lafferty to Toronto back in 2023 when I had similar value given up for the Jake McCabe trade.

The fact of the matter is we overvalue and undervalue based off fan reactions when in reality there have been teams that called about Marner
May 18 at 11:30 p.m.
For me the reason I am trading Marner is because he's lost the respect of the city and unfortunately we have to admit it will never work out with him.

I know for a fact he will be elite playoff player the second we trade him but the reality is it won't ever be here and we need right shot on the point that can open up the wing for Matthews on the power play. There's a reason why the PP in February was at like 50% when Rielly was out. IT was because Liljegren QB the 1st PP. Jireck is guy that can become that and as much as I like Montour its a bad signing waiting to happen.

Maybe we trade Marner to get Artym Levnshov to get a top 5 pick but a Marner trade needs to happen and Tree and Shanty knows it

Probably zero chance the Leafs end up getting Levnshnov or a top 5 pick. Maybe they could get pick 6, but doubt it. Even if they did get a high pick, by the time any of those guys start making any type of impact, Matthews is probably in the final year of the deal. The Leafs should definitely look at drafting multiple RHD (and Cs) in this draft with their 1st and late picks, but they are going to have to address their RHD via free agency/trade.

They reportedly want Pesce, so I don't think they will go after Montour. They'll likely take their time with finding a better PP QB than Rielly (maybe they should give Timmins a shot at a spot this year, and perhaps if he becomes a regular he can fill that role). If Marner is getting traded, then he's likely being dealt for a TWD that could fill that role like Shea Theodore, would also be beneficial for the Leafs to send Marner out west if he is dealt.
May 18 at 11:39 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
LMAO the last time the jackets were relevant was when they had walk back the Mike Babcock signing so you can't really talk about Leafs blowing Matthews window.

As. for my proposals look back I've been close on actual proposals that went through in real life and even overpaid on most. I had Domi, Murphy and Lafferty to Toronto back in 2023 when I had similar value given up for the Jake McCabe trade.

The fact of the matter is we overvalue and undervalue based off fan reactions when in reality there have been teams that called about Marner

I can talk about whatever I please. The team I choose to follow has zero bearing on that. Just like the Jackets being a complete ****show has no bearing on the fact that the Leafs are just as much of a ****show that can't even accomplish anything when they've been giftwrapped actually good players and a city where UFAs want to sign.

I'm not going to waste my time looking at your past proposals. I know everything I need to know about your hockey knowledge by the quality of your proposals here. I mean come on, you're saying your motivation for trading Marner is because he has lost the respect of the city? The average Leafs fan's opinion isn't worth jack **** when the actual people in charge are considering how to build their roster. Talk about an overinflated ego, holy ****.
Viqsi liked this.
May 18 at 11:49 p.m.
mostly harmless
For the sake of the OP, let's assume that Marner to the Jackets is actually plausible. In such a scenario, Jiricek is a nonstarter. Other nonstarters include the 4th overall, Werenski, and Fantilli. And Jenner is also one for all practical purposes, but y'all should know that already given how many times we've had to reiterate that.

Having three wingers paid about $30m is not going to be a thing here, so you would be obliged to take back some kind of significant cap. Which pretty much means Laine. But Laine is our house money guy; if he's in the deal, it's because if he bounces back he's a top-line scoring winger. So he would not be a "cap dump" inclusion; he'd have to be considered as part of the value proposition of the deal for Toronto. So you're looking at, as a basis, Laine+ for Marner. If that's not acceptable then all discussions are already over.

Where to go from there is negotiable. We've had productive discussions along the lines of KJ+Laine for Marner before, for example. But there are some lines that really won't be crossed in this stuff, because at the end of the day, we're not seeking Marner. We'll take an interest in the opportunity if it's cost-effective and practical, but he's not someone the Jackets would be falling all over themselves to get.
GMBL, squashmaple and SK101 liked this.
May 18 at 11:50 p.m.
Tkachuk contract value is inflated by zero state tax in Florida. If he signed elsewhere it would've been for more money.

As for comparison that is a fair compassion as he was the last true elite winger available and look at the price Florida payed for him with no contract. Hubderdeau (at the time 1st line forward), Weever (top pairing Dean) and a 1st. Not saying it will be the same value but it should be the basis of any Marner trade

Doesn’t matter about the state. Tkachuk is so much better than Marner and yet you Leafs fans continue value him as if you are trading a McDavid. Marner has a NMC, is overpaid, and a poor playoff performer. Those are undeniable facts.
May 18 at 11:54 p.m.
Quoting: Viqsi
For the sake of the OP, let's assume that Marner to the Jackets is actually plausible. In such a scenario, Jiricek is a nonstarter. Other nonstarters include the 4th overall, Werenski, and Fantilli. And Jenner is also one for all practical purposes, but y'all should know that already given how many times we've had to reiterate that.

Having three wingers paid about $30m is not going to be a thing here, so you would be obliged to take back some kind of significant cap. Which pretty much means Laine. But Laine is our house money guy; if he's in the deal, it's because if he bounces back he's a top-line scoring winger. So he would not be a "cap dump" inclusion; he'd have to be considered as part of the value proposition of the deal for Toronto. So you're looking at, as a basis, Laine+ for Marner. If that's not acceptable then all discussions are already over.

Where to go from there is negotiable. We've had productive discussions along the lines of KJ+Laine for Marner before, for example. But there are some lines that really won't be crossed in this stuff, because at the end of the day, we're not seeking Marner. We'll take an interest in the opportunity if it's cost-effective and practical, but he's not someone the Jackets would be falling all over themselves to get.

Realistically, the only trade that would make any sense for Marner would be Marner for Laine, Boqvist, Texier, and 2024 2nd. That is it. I would want the Jackets to do the leg work on an extension and not reward the Leafs. We take the risk of him leaving while testing to see if he is a fit long term.
GMBL and Viqsi liked this.
May 19 at 12:05 a.m.
Realistically, the only trade that would make any sense for Marner would be Marner for Laine, Boqvist, Texier, and 2024 2nd. That is it. I would want the Jackets to do the leg work on an extension and not reward the Leafs. We take the risk of him leaving while testing to see if he is a fit long term.

I was thinking the same thing except one of the other wingers instead of Texier. Wouldn't be rewarding the Leafs anything, there's a lot of risk with Laine (his injury and they can't negotiate an extension so he could be a 2-year rental), and Boqvist and Texier are change-of-scenery candidates. So, it's probably pretty even in terms of risk, I do think it would have to be someone with more upside than Texier (like Chinakov), and probably a condition on the 2nd pick that it upgrades to a 1st if the Leafs miss the playoffs and the Jackets make it.

Something like KJ+Laine could work like @Viqsi suggested, but I wouldn't imagine that happens until Laine plays some more games. By then CLB might not be willing to move either guy or Marner could already be traded or re-signed.
May 19 at 12:14 a.m.
I was thinking the same thing except one of the other wingers instead of Texier. Wouldn't be rewarding the Leafs anything, there's a lot of risk with Laine (his injury and they can't negotiate an extension so he could be a 2-year rental), and Boqvist and Texier are change-of-scenery candidates. So, it's probably pretty even in terms of risk, I do think it would have to be someone with more upside than Texier (like Chinakov), and probably a condition on the 2nd pick that it upgrades to a 1st if the Leafs miss the playoffs and the Jackets make it.

Something like KJ+Laine could work like Viqsi suggested, but I wouldn't imagine that happens until Laine plays some more games. By then CLB might not be willing to move either guy or Marner could already be traded or re-signed.

The Jackets will not move Chinakhov and Laine. It would defeat the purpose. The Jackets are trying to get to the playoffs and finally become a contender.
Viqsi liked this.
May 19 at 12:19 a.m.
Doesn’t matter about the state. Tkachuk is so much better than Marner and yet you Leafs fans continue value him as if you are trading a McDavid. Marner has a NMC, is overpaid, and a poor playoff performer. Those are undeniable facts.

Tkachuk has been so much better than Marner only in the playoffs since moving to FLR (last 2-years). Of course, a lot of GMs would rather have Tkachuk for the type of player he is and the value he brings but that doesn't mean he's better than Marner.

Again Marner is not overpaid. Since signing his deal (last-5 years), there are only 7-players with a higher PPG rate, Kucherov, Panarin, and Pastrnak being the only wingers. Last 3-years:

Kucherov 1.55
Panarin 1.29
Marner, Patrnak, Rantanen 1.27
Kaprisov & Tkachuk 1.25

After that, there's a big drop off. Either all of those guys are 11M wingers now or there all overpaid because Kucherov makes 9.5M and is producing at a rate of 21+pts/season.
May 19 at 12:26 a.m.
Tkachuk has been so much better than Marner only in the playoffs since moving to FLR (last 2-years). Of course, a lot of GMs would rather have Tkachuk for the type of player he is and the value he brings but that doesn't mean he's better than Marner.

Again Marner is not overpaid. Since signing his deal (last-5 years), there are only 7-players with a higher PPG rate, Kucherov, Panarin, and Pastrnak being the only wingers. Last 3-years:

Kucherov 1.55
Panarin 1.29
Marner, Patrnak, Rantanen 1.27
Kaprisov & Tkachuk 1.25

After that, there's a big drop off. Either all of those guys are 11M wingers now or there all overpaid because Kucherov makes 9.5M and is producing at a rate of 21+pts/season.

But how much of his production is based on Matthews and Nylander? We don’t know. That is a huge risk considering his contract. Pasta has proven his value even being away from Bergeron. Notice the only player on that list that hasn’t done anything in the playoffs…Marner. Kaprizov is the outlier bc his team has not been consistently good enough to make the playoffs.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll