SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/The Box

Klefbom Kase: RAIF vs PJ

Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:39 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

it says that's baseball.

the concept still applies to that of other sports.

ok then, i guess it tells a lot, but for example, Brian Campbell was ahead of Drew Doughty this year, when i think most would say Doughty's better ... for example, moving the puck is a big part of how good a defenseman is, and i'm guessing that isn't shown in WAR?
Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:43 p.m.
Quoting: tadhockey

Could please provide a link to the WAR stats you have listed? I have not found the model updated for 2016/17.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_SgY5SHEPySR0gQNzQs4ZybowDSZat7y55iEWEi2ank/edit?usp=sharing

This is the ranking, but I mean the actual data. Similar to this, but for 16/17: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oLRAiER3r8phlbtuLkUv7E68v6-b0cqcBc_VXfVDr2g/edit#gid=1446195433

the concept still applies to that of other sports.

ok then, i guess it tells a lot, but for example, Brian Campbell was ahead of Drew Doughty this year, when i think most would say Doughty's better ... for example, moving the puck is a big part of how good a defenseman is, and i'm guessing that isn't shown in WAR?

Brian Campbell has a high WAR because he suppresses a lot of shots. WAR isn't designed to be the main contention, but will win an Oscar for best supporting advanced stat. WAR incorporates various metrics.

http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com -> HERO
https://www.hockey-reference.com -> general advanced stats
http://hockeyviz.com -> advanced stats w/ visual aids

basically you need to be a patreon sub to use that last site. Could you just add Torey Krug and Parayko to that list for me. I want to see how they stack up to the other guys
Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:45 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Brian Campbell has a high WAR because he suppresses a lot of shots. WAR isn't designed to be the main contention, but will win an Oscar for best supporting advanced stat. WAR incorporates various metrics.

yes, but one stat doesn't tell that much, even if it's WAR ... there are a lot of other things involved, like the things i mentioned.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:46 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
For example, leadership. Guys like Doughty, Keith, McDonagh, etc bring leadership, which is super important in hockey.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:46 p.m.

I have yet to find the actual data. I got the charts from Garret Hohl via Twitter, but those Media have since been removed. I will proactively look for the data.
tad77 liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:48 p.m.
For example, leadership. Guys like Doughty, Keith, McDonagh, etc bring leadership, which is super important in hockey.

Is there a quantitative way to measure the impact of a leader to another individual(s)?
nobody liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:49 p.m.

chara is the best defensmen in the game because "Leadership"
nobody, Daryl and phillyjabroni liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:49 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Is there a quantitative way to measure the impact of a leader to another individual(s)?

well it isn't all about stats ... leadership cannot be found in stats, but it's very valuable. I haven't heard of a stat that shows leadership, but there might be one.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:51 p.m.
Quoting: Pasta88Sauce

http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com -> HERO
https://www.hockey-reference.com -> general advanced stats
http://hockeyviz.com -> advanced stats w/ visual aids

basically you need to be a patreon sub to use that last site. Could you just add Torey Krug and Parayko to that list for me. I want to see how they stack up to the other guys

Done : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U5gF9iypiqQ4sfNiwI0XEpaWRCYiSQ9ri5cQqUIwKxg/edit?usp=sharing
Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:52 p.m.

well it isn't all about stats ... leadership cannot be found in stats, but it's very valuable. I haven't heard of a stat that shows leadership, but there might be one.

So there isn't a way for you to conclusively say that Doughty is more than a leader than Klefbom is, correct? If that is the case, then leadership is negligible for every player because there is no way to conclusively measure how impactful that individual is to another individual(s).
nobody liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:56 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

So there isn't a way for you to conclusively say that Doughty is more than a leader than Klefbom is, correct? If that is the case, then leadership is negligible for every player because there is no way to conclusively measure how impactful that individual is to another individual(s).

well based on what i've heard, guys like that are great leaders ... at least McDonagh, Karlsson, etc as they are captains of their teams.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 11:57 p.m.

well based on what i've heard, guys like that are great leaders ... at least McDonagh, Karlsson, etc as they are captains of their teams.

Can you conclusively and quantitatively determine that McDonagh is more impactful to his teammates than Klefbom is to his teammates?
Aug. 1, 2017 at 12:00 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

Can you conclusively and quantitatively determine that McDonagh is more impactful to his teammates than Klefbom is to his teammates?

no, but you can't do that the other way around either ... i guess i maybe even could by saying that McDonagh is the captain of his team. And Klefbom isn't even an assistant captain ... i mean, maybe Klefbom would go higher than some of these guys for who to build a team around, but if you're saying how good they are right now, i don't see why Klefbom would be a top 10 d-man in the league.
Aug. 1, 2017 at 12:02 a.m.
so whens the ruling? Some time tomorrow?
Aug. 1, 2017 at 12:04 a.m.

no, but you can't do that the other way around either ... i guess i maybe even could by saying that McDonagh is the captain of his team. And Klefbom isn't even an assistant captain ... i mean, maybe Klefbom would go higher than some of these guys for who to build a team around, but if you're saying how good they are right now, i don't see why Klefbom would be a top 10 d-man in the league.

You haven't been able to conclusively remove him from the conversation, which will result in reasonable doubt. Klefbom is 3rd in WAR, has higher HERO/TOI than most players (excluding those w/ 10 TOI), and has impressive visual aid graphs that support my claim.
nobody liked this.
Black Lives Matter

I think it's on Wednesday.

whenever the debate circles back to regurgitation of the same material.
Aug. 1, 2017 at 12:05 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

You haven't been able to conclusively remove him from the conversation, which will result in reasonable doubt. Klefbom is 3rd in WAR, has higher HERO/TOI than most players (excluding those w/ 10 TOI), and has impressive visual aid graphs that support my claim.

yes, but when you say 'most players', you might be right, but i'm sure there are 10 defenseman with better stats than Klefbom.
Aug. 1, 2017 at 12:08 a.m.

yes, but when you say 'most players', you might be right, but i'm sure there are 10 defenseman with better stats than Klefbom.

The burden of proof of the bolded statement is on you, not me. You have to rebuttal the stats I threw out (WAR, adj. HERO, etc.)
nobody liked this.
Aug. 1, 2017 at 12:10 a.m.
Let's cut the back and forth out for now.

Rangers, Id ask for you to rebuttal the arguments phillyjabroni has made in one post only
tad77 liked this.
Aug. 1, 2017 at 1:17 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DavidBooth7
Let's cut the back and forth out for now.

Rangers, Id ask for you to rebuttal the arguments phillyjabroni has made in one post only

So are you saying i can't answer him right now?
Aug. 1, 2017 at 4:10 a.m.
Tbh this is the first time RAIF's arguments didn't make me wanna slam my head against a wall
Duster, phillyjabroni and nobody liked this.
Aug. 1, 2017 at 6:31 a.m.
I'm a Skatman

without McDonagh the Rangers might not have made the playoffs in the past two years. in this specific case the numbers are not in his favor.. but then again, look at who he has his even strength minutes with and you'll understand.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll