SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2017-2018 MTL Canadiens standings predictions (using only stats from Price + backups)

MTL will finish the season with more than 100pts
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:15 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Edited Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:24 p.m.
Here is my prediction of where MTL finishes in the standings, using only Stats from Price and his backup (Lindgren, Montoya, etc...)

I'm only using Price's stats from now going back to the 2013-2014 season (after the lockout shortened season) as I think this better represents how Price is playing now.

So since 2013-2014, Price has played 199games. He won 125 of those games, which gives him roughly a win percentage of 63%.

Price also averages 62 games a season since 2013. (Price's injured 2015-16 season was removed from this average since he only played 12games)
So putting his win percentage (63%) to the avg games he plays (62games). Price, ON AN AVERAGE SEASON, should put up 39 wins or 78 Pts.
Again 39wins is just an AVG, and not a definitive number. I consider Price to have had an AVG season this past year (even if he still got nominated for the Vezina, I think everyone can agree that he wasn't going to win it) and he had 37wins. It's also worth noting that during Price's MVP season, he had 44wins.

This isn't even counting losses in overtime which would give an extra 1point per game, and just taking a look at Prices stats since 2013, and he usually avg 5 or 6 OT losses a season. so lets add 5pts to the 78 avg. Now we have 83pts

So if Price puts up 83pts on an "ok" season playing 62games, there are still 20games left for the backups.
So if I do the same for Montoya as did for Price, since 2013, Montoya has played 92games and has won 39. a win % of 42...very meh
so let's put a 42% win percentage over 20games...about 8 wins, so 16pts. Montoya's OT losses avg to about 3 a season, so now we are at 19pts.

MTL with both Goalies having just an "ok" season should get the Habs to 102pts. Definitely in the top 3 of their division at least.

I have not even taken into consideration the possibility of Lindgren taking over Montoya as backup. Lindgren will at the very least put similar or better stats than Montoya, which should increase the Pts MTL get at the end of the season.

All this to say, Price on an average season with a below average backup still gets the habs to about 100pts.

Let me know what you guys think! or let me know if there are any mistakes!
Liguori911 liked this.
Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:17 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I don't even think they make the playoffs.
Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:22 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

giphy.gif
Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:27 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni

giphy.gif

?
Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:29 p.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni

giphy.gif

?

you always do this after someone replies to you with a gif. Do you not see them?
nobody liked this.
Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Pasta88Sauce

?

you always do this after someone replies to you with a gif. Do you not see them?

i have no idea what he's trying to tell me.
Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:31 p.m.
giphy.gif
Pasta88Sauce, nobody and Caufzi liked this.
Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:31 p.m.

what is the guy doing in the gif?
nobody liked this.
Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:03 p.m.
Molson beer is meh

I still think if Price were to have a below average season + an average backup. MTL still makes the playoffs (a wild card position).
What I wrote doesn't mean the habs are going to go far in the playoffs (season success doesn't correlate to playoff success at all, see Washington for reference)
Anyways, when Price is healthy, MTL have consistently been in the top 2 of their division, so if Price stays healthy this upcoming season, I don't really see that changing.
Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:34 p.m.
My main concern with the Habs is that Price needs to be healthy. We saw the cliff that the Habs fell off when Price was hurt. Honestly any team that has Price and and decent backup like Montoya is they are a playoff team.
Honestly it depends on the teams around them too. If I am a Habs fan Tampa scares me. I'm wary of Toronto. Buffalo could make a playoff push (at least fight for a wildcard spot.) Boston, Ottawa, and Florida I have some questions about their line ups but they'll be in the mix.
I expect Montreal (Just based on what Price and Montoya can do) to be in 2 or 3 seed and play Toronto in the first round, which I am all for 100%, sign me up for that kind of series.
Blazingbat11 liked this.
Aug. 4, 2017 at 11:12 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

laughing?
Aug. 4, 2017 at 11:15 p.m.

laughing?

Are you guessing? If not what's the purpose of the question mark???
Pasta88Sauce and phillyjabroni liked this.
Aug. 4, 2017 at 11:29 p.m.
giphy.gif
nobody liked this.
Aug. 4, 2017 at 11:44 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I wouldn't be stunned if Montreal missed the playoffs honestly. Their defense is slow, plus they said they plan to have Galchenyuk at the wing. Until they stop being stupid and realize he's their number one center, I think they'll be in trouble, especially with teams like Carolina and Buffalo improving greatly and catching up. I don't think they miss, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do
Aug. 5, 2017 at 8:28 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: krakowitz
I wouldn't be stunned if Montreal missed the playoffs honestly. Their defense is slow, plus they said they plan to have Galchenyuk at the wing. Until they stop being stupid and realize he's their number one center, I think they'll be in trouble, especially with teams like Carolina and Buffalo improving greatly and catching up. I don't think they miss, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do

I usually watch every Habs game, I rarely miss them. And seeing Galchenyuk play since he started, I personally think he is better suited on the Wing; plays well in the corners, wicked one-timer, not really a setup guy, gets lost in the middle of the ice. Sadly, I also think he is MTL best centerman, goes to show how desperate they are for a Top 6 C, let alone a #1 C. Danault, Plekanec, even Shaw are decent Centers, just not top 6.

I think most NHL teams have a chance to bottom out and miss the playoffs, especially with the parity in the NHL these days. But I agree with you that I wouldn't be surprised if it was MTL. But with how consistent Price has been, if he stays healthy. I just don't see it happening.
Aug. 5, 2017 at 9:33 a.m.
Your team still can't score. Also, that slow defense won't help much against the faster teams in their conference like Carolina, Toronto and Tampa
Aug. 5, 2017 at 10:14 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: boltscharge17
Your team still can't score. Also, that slow defense won't help much against the faster teams in their conference like Carolina, Toronto and Tampa

I definitely agree that MTL are in need of more goal scorers, The series against the Rangers proved that. But again that was in the playoffs. and because it was the most recent Habs games, it's what we're talking about until next season. If you actually look at MTL season stats, they are far from the worst offensive team, they are literally in the middle of the pack, 15th overall - 223 goals for, during the 2016-17 season.

I should note that I think this offseason made zero improvements to help them win now or get better in the future, with the loss of Radulov and being replaced by Drouin (different styles but similar offensive #) but at the cost of Sergachev. Really terrible, and GM Bergevin should be on thin ice.
Aug. 5, 2017 at 1:28 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Blazingbat11

I usually watch every Habs game, I rarely miss them. And seeing Galchenyuk play since he started, I personally think he is better suited on the Wing; plays well in the corners, wicked one-timer, not really a setup guy, gets lost in the middle of the ice. Sadly, I also think he is MTL best centerman, goes to show how desperate they are for a Top 6 C, let alone a #1 C. Danault, Plekanec, even Shaw are decent Centers, just not top 6.

I think most NHL teams have a chance to bottom out and miss the playoffs, especially with the parity in the NHL these days. But I agree with you that I wouldn't be surprised if it was MTL. But with how consistent Price has been, if he stays healthy. I just don't see it happening.

Carey Price is going to have to make some big saves after their slow defense gets skated right past. There is also a lot of weight on the shoulders of Drouin to be really good for them this year. We all know what Paccioretty is going to do, but Drouin is kind of a wild card here. I think he can be an adequate replacement for Radulov, but man, if he doesn't, Price is going to have to turn in another MVP performance this season
Daryl liked this.
Aug. 5, 2017 at 3:13 p.m.
Molson beer is meh

Carey Price is going to have to make some big saves after their slow defense gets skated right past. There is also a lot of weight on the shoulders of Drouin to be really good for them this year. We all know what Paccioretty is going to do, but Drouin is kind of a wild card here. I think he can be an adequate replacement for Radulov, but man, if he doesn't, Price is going to have to turn in another MVP performance this season

general question, how is this upcoming MTL defensive squad slower than last year?? Schlemko I would say is an upgrade over Emelin in terms of speed and puck moving, Beaulieu was no speed demon and I would take Alzner over him any day. the one big loss was Markov who was a great puck mover and a powerplay general, but was the slowest defender the Habs had. His offense will be missed but he's gonna be replaced one of Jerabek, Davidson, or J. Morrow. all of which are much younger players with more speed.

to be clear, I'm not saying this squad is going to be any good this upcoming season, very average if you ask me. But I don't think speed will be the issue, the lack of high end talent that can produce 5v5 or on the powerplay aside from Weber is the problem.
Aug. 7, 2017 at 12:13 a.m.
Edited Aug. 7, 2017 at 8:53 a.m.

general question, how is this upcoming MTL defensive squad slower than last year?? Schlemko I would say is an upgrade over Emelin in terms of speed and puck moving, Beaulieu was no speed demon and I would take Alzner over him any day. the one big loss was Markov who was a great puck mover and a powerplay general, but was the slowest defender the Habs had. His offense will be missed but he's gonna be replaced one of Jerabek, Davidson, or J. Morrow. all of which are much younger players with more speed.

to be clear, I'm not saying this squad is going to be any good this upcoming season, very average if you ask me. But I don't think speed will be the issue, the lack of high end talent that can produce 5v5 or on the powerplay aside from Weber is the problem.

Okay, let's look at that.

On their first powerplay, Montreal is probably featuring Drouin-Patches-Weber-Gallagher-Galchenyuk. With Drouin's passing ability, Pacioretty's ability to shoot, Gallagher's net front presence, and Weber's blast, there's more than enough talent to make the 1st PP work. If anything, the biggest concern should be Julien; the Bruins powerplay was below average for a long time before the past two seasons, and that could potentially return.

But then speed and 5v5 talent come back to the same thing: who is taking the puck up the ice for the Habs? The only puck mover on the back end worth anything is Petry, and even if Alzner is better than Beaulieu (which, if he is, it's marginal, and not in the passing game), he doesn't solve their biggest need. As you've said, they have no centers than can go beneath their own goal line and skate the puck. So how are they going to set up in the offensive zone? How are they going to get from point A to point B? Even as LA has been slow, they've had Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, Martinez, etc.

I would also argue that this is the worst Montreal blue line in recent memory, and with no center depth either, Price is going to have a rough time, even with the Julien system. I have them as 4th in the Atlantic, 10th in the east, and outside looking in.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit