Forums/Armchair-GM

Big assumption for Trouba

Created by: palhal
Team: 2017-18 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 11, 2017
Published: Aug. 11, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I don't really think Trouba is really that great a fit for a Leafs/Jets deal. Trouba is going to a UFA in three years so can the Jets who aren't winning this year might be best with futures. After this season he has two years of arbitration contracts unless a long term deal can be made.

I'd be interested in seeing any Trouba to any other besides the Leafs, and the Wings/Bruins I see so few. And while the Leafs aren't giving up any of their best players or potential stars....neither is any other team IMO. And any CapFriendly posts no one is.
So maybe the Leafs have the best package to offer than any team. Dermot is the wild card in the deal. I see him as a long term good NHL Dman.
Of the Jets are happy with their status quo, of course they don't deal.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Brown, Connor
5$3,400,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Carrick, Connor
  2. Dermott, Travis
Additional Details:
Connor Brown
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$67,112,499$0$4,000,000$7,887,501
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,700,000$4,700,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,600,000$5,600,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,125,000$1,125,000
C
UFA - 1
Brown, Connor
$3,400,000$3,400,000
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,125,000$2,125,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD
UFA - 1
$7,600,000$7,600,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$4,100,000$4,100,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,333,333$4,333,333
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:08 p.m.
A bottom pair defender, an unproven nhler, and a guy who only scored 20 cause he played for Matthews for a young top 4 talented defenseman. you must be dreaming. be ready to give away nylander marner or rielly to get him.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:12 p.m.
You get the jets roster is likely stronger than the leafs if goalie play is all equal. What the hell are people smoking in the big smoke.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:16 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
A bottom pair defender, an unproven nhler, and a guy who only scored 20 cause he played for Matthews for a young top 4 talented defenseman. you must be dreaming. be ready to give away nylander marner or rielly to get him.

Your MO is state in any Leaf trade, that their top players have to included in the deal. OK this deal may not be enough to get Trouba, but I have never any other posts that include your studs traded for Trouba. So maybe Trouba stays a Jet for three years. Could you suggest what you think would be fair deal for Trouba? Try to using any other except the Leafs as a trade partner, cause I to see if any of the other young studs on any other team is traded.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
[
JuniorGM. If you are talking to me, I don't live in Toronto. Maybe you're right about the Jets goaltending. But Mason is iffy as an improvement and Jets have to overpay for UFAs, and Kulikov was bad last season. As I wrote, if the Jets are happy with the status quo....I don't see who they bump out of the playoffs
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:33 p.m.
Quoting: palhal

Your MO is state in any Leaf trade, that their top players have to included in the deal. OK this deal may not be enough to get Trouba, but I have never any other posts that include your studs traded for Trouba. So maybe Trouba stays a Jet for three years. Could you suggest what you think would be fair deal for Trouba? Try to using any other except the Leafs as a trade partner, cause I to see if any of the other young studs on any other team is traded.

so lets say Edm wants Trouba. Highly unlikely to occur, but the trade would most likely be Puujlarvi, Ethan bear and a high pick (either 1st or 2nd) for Trouba. The only reason I keep saying Marner, Nylander or Rielly is because the value of defensemen is high. Every team can offer different packages with equal value. with the edm trade, Puujlarvi is a former 4th overall pick, who is loaded with potential as a stud top 6, and is going to a big physical scoring winger with mcdavid for years to come. Ethan bear is a 70 point defenseman in the whl, who is projected top 4 offensive defenseman. the pick could be conditional, but needs to be added as Trouba is a defenseman, and has proven himself to be a star defenseman at a very young age. if leafs want him, you would offer Nylander who is gonna be a star in this league, same for Marner. But just looking at the Hall for Larsson trade and you get an idea that top 4 defenseman are extremely expensive, esp rhd.
MajesticWalrus liked this.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:33 p.m.
[
JuniorGM. If you are talking to me, I don't live in Toronto. Maybe you're right about the Jets goaltending. But Mason is iffy as an improvement and Jets have to overpay for UFAs, and Kulikov was bad last season. As I wrote, if the Jets are happy with the status quo....I don't see who they bump out of the playoffs/quote]

People get the jets played with a healthy defense core for 66 mins last year. Yea just over a game. The jets had the 2nd most man games lost to injury accounting for likely 8-10 points in the standings. Which would have put them easily in the playoffs and having more points than the leafs. Thats with the 3rd worst goal-tending in the nhl last season. Mason is a huge upgrade over Pav and Hutch and thats all the jets need to get in.

Also Rielly is even a top 5 dmen from his draft class I know its off target but it really should be said more often.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:37 p.m.
GM - Canucks
A 4th overall pick, AKA Pulijuarvi would straight up get you Trouba.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:40 p.m.
Leafs Fan

so lets say Edm wants Trouba. Highly unlikely to occur, but the trade would most likely be Puujlarvi, Ethan bear and a high pick (either 1st or 2nd) for Trouba. The only reason I keep saying Marner, Nylander or Rielly is because the value of defensemen is high. Every team can offer different packages with equal value. with the edm trade, Puujlarvi is a former 4th overall pick, who is loaded with potential as a stud top 6, and is going to a big physical scoring winger with mcdavid for years to come. Ethan bear is a 70 point defenseman in the whl, who is projected top 4 offensive defenseman. the pick could be conditional, but needs to be added as Trouba is a defenseman, and has proven himself to be a star defenseman at a very young age. if leafs want him, you would offer Nylander who is gonna be a star in this league, same for Marner. But just looking at the Hall for Larsson trade and you get an idea that top 4 defenseman are extremely expensive, esp rhd.

That trade is heavily tilted to Edmonton. Puljujarvi right now is a questionable draft pick based on how he has under-performed, a WHL prospect is just that. A first rounder helps but not near enough. No one on the Jets side would ever go for this.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:40 p.m.
Quoting: TMLSage
A 4th overall pick, AKA Pulijuarvi would straight up get you Trouba.

After a player is drafted what he was drafted at has no barring on his value just his results that follow. This isn't a hard thing to get.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:45 p.m.
Quoting: Billius

That trade is heavily tilted to Edmonton. Puljujarvi right now is a questionable draft pick based on how he has under-performed, a WHL prospect is just that. A first rounder helps but not near enough. No one on the Jets side would ever go for this.

Not every player who gets drafted in the top 5, turns into an nhl star in the season after getting drafted. pastarnak wasn't even a top 5 pick, and look at what he has become a full 2 seasons after being drafted. ethan bear is 70 point defenseman, and its a relatively known fact that the more u score in juniors, the better chance u have at making an impact at the nhl level.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:58 p.m.
TrueNorth
Jets are really not in a position to take a quantity for quality trade on Trouba. They were the 7th highest scoring and second youngest team in the NHL last year. From that regard, the future would seem bright. Unfortunately, they were also near the bottom of the league for goals against. Getting Myers back is already a nice add and Kulikov is a question mark, he was great in Florida, mediocre, at best in Buffalo. If Trouba were to force their hand into a trade, I would have to believe that Chevy would hold out for major defensive pieces coming back. I don't blame Hellebuyck for last year's results. Carey Price would have been shellacked as well with Stuart, Melchiori, Postma, and Chariot trying to fill the holes caused by injuries. Toronto likely isn't the best trading partner as they too have a plethora of young talent up front but holes on their back end.
Price_is_the_goat liked this.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 5:02 p.m.
Leafs Fan
Quoting: TrueNorth
Jets are really not in a position to take a quantity for quality trade on Trouba. They were the 7th highest scoring and second youngest team in the NHL last year. From that regard, the future would seem bright. Unfortunately, they were also near the bottom of the league for goals against. Getting Myers back is already a nice add and Kulikov is a question mark, he was great in Florida, mediocre, at best in Buffalo. If Trouba were to force their hand into a trade, I would have to believe that Chevy would hold out for major defensive pieces coming back. I don't blame Hellebuyck for last year's results. Carey Price would have been shellacked as well with Stuart, Melchiori, Postma, and Chariot trying to fill the holes caused by injuries. Toronto likely isn't the best trading partner as they too have a plethora of young talent up front but holes on their back end.

This sounds like a reasonable summary. Jets are no longer building, they have a good young team with a lot of talent that should start challenging if they get the goaltending.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 5:37 p.m.
Yeah Bill, I do think Winnipeg management would be under some pressure to grab deal that lent itself to advancing their situation now! Pal's deal above, is not that far off. Gardiner, and Carrick/Brown should be more than enough for what I believe is a player no longer wanting to play in Winnipeg!
Aug. 11, 2017 at 6:19 p.m.
Elite d men are pricey. You aren't getting Trouba for one prospect, unless youre talking about an elite or generational talent. Like pointed out above, no teams are in any rush to trade off such players. It's gonna be a package deal, or it's gonna be a Larkin, Nyalnder, Marner esque straight up type of thing. It's going to have to be something the Jets see as equal, current roster value. With that being said, the draft and hot stove period came and went without anything happening. I don't think this guy gets traded until the deadline when the Jets will feel pressure to get value before his current deal runs out. I know he is an RFA, but the venom of the process (contract extension/arbitration) will really sour an already fragile relationship. His value only tanks from there, because it seems pretty clear even from afar...he isn't going to sign a long term deal with the Jets.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 6:25 p.m.
Banned
It would take Brown+Gardiner at the very least for Trouba your proposal doesn't cut it in the very least. And besides it's been widely stated that Trouba wants no part in playing in Canada other then Winnipeg because he's stuck there for the next 3 years or so. And Toronto is the very last place Trouba would play for he he hated them growing up a diehard Red Wings fan.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 7:16 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: JuniorGM
[
JuniorGM. If you are talking to me, I don't live in Toronto. Maybe you're right about the Jets goaltending. But Mason is iffy as an improvement and Jets have to overpay for UFAs, and Kulikov was bad last season. As I wrote, if the Jets are happy with the status quo....I don't see who they bump out of the playoffs/quote]

People get the jets played with a healthy defense core for 66 mins last year. Yea just over a game. The jets had the 2nd most man games lost to injury accounting for likely 8-10 points in the standings. Which would have put them easily in the playoffs and having more points than the leafs. Thats with the 3rd worst goal-tending in the nhl last season. Mason is a huge upgrade over Pav and Hutch and thats all the jets need to get in.

Also Rielly is even a top 5 dmen from his draft class I know its off target but it really should be said more often.

I know it's off target Reilly may not even be the Leafs best Dman is you went by last year. Gardiner, Reilly, Hainsey played most minutes of any Pens Dman in the playoffs, and Carrick and Zaitsev were NHL rookies last year.
Can't imagine the Jets defence is better than the Leafs.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 7:19 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Larkinisking
It would take Brown+Gardiner at the very least for Trouba your proposal doesn't cut it in the very least. And besides it's been widely stated that Trouba wants no part in playing in Canada other then Winnipeg because he's stuck there for the next 3 years or so. And Toronto is the very last place Trouba would play for he he hated them growing up a diehard Red Wings fan.

Larking: Are you saying that Trouba is not going to report to the Leafs and give up three years of NHL hockey.? The only person who widely states that Trouba want no part of Canada is you. Not a credible source for what Larking would do.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 7:47 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Mr Price Goat: Thanks for at least offering an alternative suggestion in a trade, Bear, Puuljarvi and a 1st. I guess the only problem with that is it too much "futures" for the Jets? Are :Puuljarvi and Bear close to NHL ready? Anyway that's the alternative suggestion.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 7:52 p.m.
Mr Price Goat: Thanks for at least offering an alternative suggestion in a trade, Bear, Puuljarvi and a 1st. I guess the only problem with that is it too much "futures" for the Jets? Are :Puuljarvi and Bear close to NHL ready? Anyway that's the alternative suggestion.

Ah well. I mean the jets are still in some sort of rebuild mode until they fix thier goalie situation. acquiring future talent for a guy who doesn't want to play here makes sense. Puujlarvi will prob start next season in the nhl. he is projected to play beside Juusi Jokinen in edm, a fellow finnish player, so he tweak some aspects of his game.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 7:52 p.m.
Quoting: Larkinisking

Larking: Are you saying that Trouba is not going to report to the Leafs and give up three years of NHL hockey.? The only person who widely states that Trouba want no part of Canada is you. Not a credible source for what Larking would do.

If he doesn't play, leafs will find a suitable trade partner
Aug. 12, 2017 at 6:23 p.m.

If he doesn't play, leafs will find a suitable trade partner

I think this is overstated. His problem seems to be playing for Winnipeg. Toronto is an original 6, loaded with young talent, playoff team that is an hour flight from his home town. Have you ever been to Toronto? Nice place! The guy is professional hockey player, I doubt very much he decides to sit out and ruin his career because he grew up a Redwing fan lol.
Aug. 12, 2017 at 6:26 p.m.

Ah well. I mean the jets are still in some sort of rebuild mode until they fix thier goalie situation. acquiring future talent for a guy who doesn't want to play here makes sense. Puujlarvi will prob start next season in the nhl. he is projected to play beside Juusi Jokinen in edm, a fellow finnish player, so he tweak some aspects of his game.

I think the key part is that the rope is already very frayed between the Jets and this guy. If you can come close to fair value, I don't think it has to be exact value, I think they take it and move on knowing the situation. The price has to be something they can add to the roster today to put in front of their fans.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll