UFA - 4
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
UFA - 8
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 8
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$660,000$660,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,966,667$3,966,667
RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$703,333$703,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:01 p.m.
Detroit accepts
Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:39 p.m.
No from Az
Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:42 p.m.
Waaaay too much for Green. No thanks. Caps need to keep their 1st and 2nd this year.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:47 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
The time to make "all-in" moves is during the offseason IMO. Take last year for example. Had Shattenkirk been able to go through training camp with the team and not had to learn on-the-fly, I'm sure he would've turned out better than what we got for him.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
Who adds what?
Orpik>Hjalmarsson.

Trotz prefers a veteran third pair on defense, when trailing in a series, yes. How about Chorney and Schenn? Might cost a 6th to add Schenn? He hits more than Hjalmarsson, but less than Orpik. Fits better with how gritty the Caps play, especially in the postseason.

Or, if the Caps must go all in and rent a defenseman, trade Djoos, not Orpik. Djoos isn't going to get ten minutes a night from Trotz as a rookie this year, and would be lucky to crack 15 next year, when Orpik will still play 20.

With a different coach, sure, try to get younger, faster, and more talented. But even then, Carlson for Hjalmarsson is a downgrade. Throwing in a goalie is ridiculous.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: krakowitz
The time to make "all-in" moves is during the offseason IMO. Take last year for example. Had Shattenkirk been able to go through training camp with the team and not had to learn on-the-fly, I'm sure he would've turned out better than what we got for him.

i dont want any of this to happen its just what they do every year minus the orpik move
Eli liked this.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:55 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: AZhopeful123
No from Az

Lucky for Washington!
Jan. 19, 2018 at 2:49 p.m.
Quoting: Eli
Or, if the Caps must go all in and rent a defenseman, trade Djoos, not Orpik. Djoos isn't going to get ten minutes a night from Trotz as a rookie this year, and would be lucky to crack 15 next year, when Orpik will still play 20.

Djoos is getting ten minutes a game... This year. He's averaging exactly 14 minutes a game playing with Carlson, and he's steadily improving. Trotz is progressively giving Djoos more time and more d-zone starts, indicating that his trust is going up. He's a future top 4D at this point for the caps, I wouldn't trade him. You aren't going to get what you should for him anyways.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Orpik>Hjalmarsson.

Stop.
Capitalfail67 and LicMysak liked this.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 3:43 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Orpik>Hjalmarsson.

Trotz prefers a veteran third pair on defense, when trailing in a series, yes. How about Chorney and Schenn? Might cost a 6th to add Schenn? He hits more than Hjalmarsson, but less than Orpik. Fits better with how gritty the Caps play, especially in the postseason.

With a different coach, sure, try to get younger, faster, and more talented. But even then, Carlson for Hjalmarsson is a downgrade. Throwing in a goalie is ridiculous.

nothing you say makes sense not being mean its just my opinion

hammer > orpik

and i wouldnt trade djoo hes going to be amazing thats a silly request
krakowitz liked this.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 3:46 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Capitalfail67
nothing you say makes sense not being mean its just my opinion

hammer > orpik

and i wouldnt trade djoo hes going to be amazing thats a silly request

I wouldn't say amazing, but he could be a solid #3 defenseman. Orlov, Johansen and Djoos is the future on the left side. With that, it gives us a ton of options.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 3:51 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: krakowitz
Stop.

Orpik's won at least one playoff round in five straight years and counting. Hjalmarsson can't even get the Yotes near the dance. They both play twenty minutes a night. They're each single digit in points, -single digit in plus/minus, one cup ring. Hjalmarsson barely has three hundred hits in his career. Orpik is the nastiest checker in the NHL and has injured a playoff opponent badly enough for them to miss a game every year he's been in Washington.

So let me rephrase that:

Orpik>>Hjalmarsson.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 3:56 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Orpik's won at least one playoff round in five straight years and counting. Hjalmarsson can't even get the Yotes near the dance. They both play twenty minutes a night. They're each single digit in points, -single digit in plus/minus, one cup ring. Hjalmarsson barely has three hundred hits in his career. Orpik is the nastiest checker in the NHL and has injured a playoff opponent badly enough for them to miss a game every year he's been in Washington.

So let me rephrase that:

Orpik>>Hjalmarsson.

Your comment is disgusting, especially praising the guy for injuring opponents. And trying to say that one player (especially a defensive defenseman!) is to credit or blame for playoff success? That's crazy. Hjalmarsson is a much better player than Brooks Orpik. Orpik was good, he is now bad. Orpik costs more. Hell I see mocks all the time with Caps fans paying teams a first rounder to take on Orpik. Don't see anyone doing that with Hjalmarsson.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:03 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

So let me rephrase that:

Orpik>>Hjalmarsson.

You have to be trolling. You have to.

Saying that Orpik has one a playoff series in some number of years means nothing. He wasn't a catalyst on any of those teams. Hjalmarsson isn't going to be a catalyst either. Hits don't always matter. Orpik isn't the nastiest checker in the league. We have a better hitter on our team in Willy. Ovechkin could be that hitter, but he's perserving his body. "Hjalmarsson can't get the Yotes near the dance". He's been injured forever, and it's not like he has the support to do it. Orpik isn't the reason we get to the playoffs either.

If you actually believe this to be true, you're an idiot Dwight.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:08 p.m.

So let me rephrase that:

Orpik>>Hjalmarsson.

What the actual ****? Praising a guy for injuring people? How low have you sunk? Just cuz you hit a lot doesnt make you a better defensive defenseman. Stralman for example, uses positioning and his stick to take the puck off players most off the time and also happens to be considered one of the top defensive dman along with Hjarlmasson. Gooing around like a madman and injuring people does not mean you are a very good defensive defenseman. I would take Hjalmarsson and Stralman over a pairing like Orpik and Big Buff any day
Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:08 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: AK_tune
Your comment is disgusting, especially praising the guy for injuring opponents. And trying to say that one player (especially a defensive defenseman!) is to credit or blame for playoff success? That's crazy. Hjalmarsson is a much better player than Brooks Orpik. Orpik was good, he is now bad. Orpik costs more. Hell I see mocks all the time with Caps fans paying teams a first rounder to take on Orpik. Don't see anyone doing that with Hjalmarsson.

Thank you.

I think it's disgusting, too.

Injuring people should not have a place in pro sports.

And I could totally see the Caps paying a draft pick to get rid of Orpik as soon as the NHL changes its rules so that injuring people on clean hits isn't how teams win playoff series.

I'm sure they'll fix that right after they ban fistfights...

Orpik was top ten in the NHL last year over the regular season. Hjalmarsson wasn't. This year, Orpik is playing extra minutes, against tougher competition, because the Caps lost Alzner in free agency. His plus minus is still about even with Hjalmarsson's.

While hitting to hurt is wrong, and shouldn't be a part of sports, hitting to take the puck away is hockey. Hjalmarsson's career total of successful bodychecks is in the three hundreds. Orpik has had multiple seasons with three hundred hits.

I don't like his style. I don't like what he represents. But if the Caps are trying to win at NHL hockey, Orpik is a lot better at that than Hjalmarsson, no matter what some high school kid on here told you.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:12 p.m.
Who adds what?
I agree with everyone saying that the game should change to reduce injuries. I would like to see a rule of automatic suspensions for injuring someone on an otherwise clean play.

When that happens, though, Orpik will still be a slightly better defenseman than Hjalmarsson, because statistics. Show me a counterexample, maybe, instead of just name calling.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:14 p.m.
Who adds what?
Also, someone published a quick survey last year of what percentage of rushes the Caps' defensemen could break up at the blueline with their sticks. Orpik was ahead of Carlson, Shattenkirk, Niskanen, Alzner, and Schmidt at that, so even if they banned hitting, Orpik is still a very, very good defenseman.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:22 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
I agree with everyone saying that the game should change to reduce injuries. I would like to see a rule of automatic suspensions for injuring someone on an otherwise clean play.

When that happens, though, Orpik will still be a slightly better defenseman than Hjalmarsson, because statistics. Show me a counterexample, maybe, instead of just name calling.

No one is name calling. Here, for starters, Orpik is dragging his pair to a really bad spot on this chart, which means when he's out there, teams are shooting at his net wayyy more than his team is shooting. https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/947464568909033472

It's just Corsi, so it doesn't paint the whole picture, but there aren't many stats you can look at to say a certain defensive defenseman is better than another. Those tools are available but I don't pay for subscriptions to people that have that data (zone exit %, zone entry against %, etc.). That said, I'd wager a lot of money that the eye test confirms what these advanced stats would say. Orpik is a step behind what he was and all he's good for is getting some hits and eating some minutes.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:23 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Also, someone published a quick survey last year of what percentage of rushes the Caps' defensemen could break up at the blueline with their sticks. Orpik was ahead of Carlson, Shattenkirk, Niskanen, Alzner, and Schmidt at that, so even if they banned hitting, Orpik is still a very, very good defenseman.

orpik played 3rd pairing with schmidt last year

schmidt is vegas leading ice time guy.....vegas the best team in the west............just saying
Eli liked this.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:28 p.m.
Who adds what?
No one is name calling. Here, for starters, Orpik is dragging his pair to a really bad spot on this chart, which means when he's out there, teams are shooting at his net wayyy more than his team is shooting. https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/947464568909033472

It's just Corsi, so it doesn't paint the whole picture, but there aren't many stats you can look at to say a certain defensive defenseman is better than another. Those tools are available but I don't pay for subscriptions to people that have that data (zone exit %, zone entry against %, etc.). That said, I'd wager a lot of money that the eye test confirms what these advanced stats would say. Orpik is a step behind what he was and all he's good for is getting some hits and eating some minutes.

No one is name calling? Two people said I'm praising violence. I would like to take violence out of hockey, and out of American life,so I do actually ind that bothersome.

What I'm doing isn't praising.

I'm observing that the NHL playoffs are a system that rewards violence, and that the Caps would be less prepared for that if they traded Orpik for Hjalmarsson straight up, let alone worried about his infamous contract.

I have heard so much belly achingabout how many changes his contract has made to this franchise. But today, you know what it's really cost the Caps? Karl Alzner.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/561519
Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:45 p.m.
Who adds what?

Funny, usually if two guys work badly together, but okay in other groupings, you blame "chemistry," or something abstract like that. And usually if a new guy and an old guy are together, messing up, you assume the new guy is learning the ropes, and they'll work out better once they get the hang of it. Madison Bowey is a very highly regarded prospect, with one half of a season of NHL experience, who has played, what, twenty games with Orpik? This is a small sample of growing pains.

I agree that Orpik is old and slow. Luckily, the goals in hockey are stationary, so as long as he's willing to stand in front of his own and get in the way of whatever opponent comes near him, he'll be harder to score against in the playoffs than Mike Green or Karl Alzner, the two salary cap casualties of Orpik and Niskanen's contracts in Washington. There was a playoff series when Crosby scored eight goals, all while standing next to Green. Orpik was slow and bad with a puck back then, but Caps fans knew him mostly for spearing Ovechkin, and looking okay in the Olympics.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll