SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Which active players deserve to have their numbers retired today?

Feb. 2, 2018 at 9:30 a.m.
Quoting: tadhockey
He will almost certainly pass the GP and Wins mark, but I don't know if he gets his number retired unless he wins a Stanley Cup (or two). He doesn't necessarily have to pull a Tim Thomas and carry the team, but he does need to eventually win the thing. 2013 was a great run, but the stink of 2010 still exists.

He's also only won a single Vezina, and hasn't been a finalist in any other year (he was top-5 one other time, in 2012-13). He is absolutely beloved, but he's gotta add a little more to the resume for me.

Technically he's won a Stanley Cup, but I know what you mean. His 2013 run is vastly underrated and overlooked. Going up against the 1st & 2nd ranked offenses during the final two rounds of the playoffs, Rask posted a 1.52 GAA / .951 SV% / 3 SO (talk about insane). If Rask ends his career as #1 or #2 among B's goalies all-time then I don't think he needs a Cup to have his number retired. Rask could finish his career as the NHL's all-time SV% leader which is huge as well.

This is going to sound really crazy, but I'm still not 100% on Chara having his number retired. The only current player that IMO is 100% lock to get his # retired is Bergeron. I do think that Chara gets his number retired, but if it didn't happen I wouldn't be shocked/angry about it. I think retiring a number really should be held for those franchise changing players that were great on and off the ice. I guess I always look at retired #'s as those immortal people that personifies what it means to be a "insert team mascot here"
Feb. 2, 2018 at 10:16 a.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
I like the idea of people posting the active players they think warrant THEIR OWN TEAM retiring their numbers. Since tribute is largely geared towards the specific fanbase involved, they're probably best situated to comment on it.

People should post THEIR favorite team and the active players who's numbers they think would be retired today, if it were possible.

For me; I think Miller has had a career in Buffalo worthy of having his #30 retired by Sabres. No other active player is deserving at this time from the organization..

Well put. Different teams have different criteria for how they retire jerseys, and like you said, it's more geared toward the organization itself and the fanbase rather than toward the league or hockey fans as a whole.
Hockeylover360 and ON3M4N liked this.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 10:55 a.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
This is a hypothetical question. I tried to find active players who's numbers could deserve to be retired by a team today.
This would exclude players with the potential to get there. I'm not looking at potential, but who has already had careers worthy of the honor.

Here's my list:
Ryan Getzlaf (Ducks #15)
Corey Perry (Ducks #10)
Ryan Miller (Sabres #30)
Zdeno Chara (Bruins #33)
Patrice Bergeron (Bruins #37)
Cam Ward (Hurricanes #30)
Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks #19)
Patrick Kane (Blackhawks #88)
Duncan Keith (Blackhawks #2)
Jamie Benn (Stars #14)
Zetterberg (Red Wings #40)
Kronwall (Red Wings #55)
Roberto Luongo (Panthers #1)
Drew Doughty (Kings #8)
Eric Staal (Hurricanes #12)
Mikko Koivu (Wild #9)
Shea Weber (Predators #6)
Carey Price (Canadiens #31)
Henrik Lundqvist (Rangers #30)
Sidney Crosby (Penguins #87)
Jaromir Jagr (Penguins #68)
Joe Thornton (Sharks #19)
Patrick Marleau (Sharks #12)
Daniel Sedin (Canucks #22)
Henrik Sedin (Canucks #33)
Alexander Ovechkin (Capitals #8)

Who would you argue against? Who would you nominate to add to the list?

You keep retiring that many players will be wearing triple digits in 20 years!!!!

Ridic........

Get rid of:

Perry
Miller
Ward
Zetterberg
Kronwall
Luongo
Staal
Koivu
Weber

you hand them out like candy at a kids party
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:02 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
Malkin and Backstrom should be added. I might take out Kronwall in addition to Koivu

Get Backstrom to win a cup first, then we discuss him......
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:08 a.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
None of the ANA players should have their numbers in the rafters. Haven't gotten them to a cup yet

Hello?? Where were you in 2007?
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:11 a.m.
Backstrom is nearly a point-per game in his career, and is the franchise leader in assists. Also fourth in points. The man's number will be retired.

All of Kronwall's accomplishments listed are international and/or team-based, except the All-Star point. That isn't even true. Yeah, Stanley Cups are nice. But Chris Kunitz won Cups with the Penguins, and nobody is calling for his number to be retired. The individual has to do something exceptional with the team to have their number retired, and Kronwall simply hasn't done that.

Ok but Backstrom still isn't "exceptional" either. They need to win a cup now or be listed as failures when they built teams that should have won the cup in the last 5 years!!!!
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:14 a.m.
Damn. I completely forgot that they were around then.

I'll rephrase and say they never have lead a team to a cup. In 07, ANA had Teemu, Pronger, the Niedermayers. Both Perry and Getzlaf were 21 when they won the cup. 11 years later and have nothing to show for it.

My God!! I can't "Trust the Process" anymore!!!!
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:16 a.m.
Quoting: PaulDunnill
My God!! I can't "Trust the Process" anymore!!!!

Confused as to what you are saying. @awatt understood what I am saying, and to an extend he agrees that the core hasnt lead to a cup
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:17 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
Not really looking at any other teams because I think retiring a number is more than just points, but for Boston I'd throw Rask's name into the ring...

Rank among Bruins Goalies All-Time
GP - 4th (only 41 shy of leader)
Wins - 4th (only 29 shy of leader
Saves - 1st
SV% - 1st
GAA - 2nd
SO - 2nd (34 behind leader)
Pts - 2nd (1 behind leader)

Rask also has a Vezina to his name and an Olympic bronze. He's been in the B's organization since 2005 and could very well play his entire career in Boston and go down as the best Bruins goalie of all-time. Does a lot for the local communities as well as larger charities, especially when it comes to young children with illnesses.

And a Stanley Cup Champion!! And 2-time Stanley Cup appearances!!
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:22 a.m.
Technically he's won a Stanley Cup, but I know what you mean. His 2013 run is vastly underrated and overlooked. Going up against the 1st & 2nd ranked offenses during the final two rounds of the playoffs, Rask posted a 1.52 GAA / .951 SV% / 3 SO (talk about insane). If Rask ends his career as #1 or #2 among B's goalies all-time then I don't think he needs a Cup to have his number retired. Rask could finish his career as the NHL's all-time SV% leader which is huge as well.

This is going to sound really crazy, but I'm still not 100% on Chara having his number retired. The only current player that IMO is 100% lock to get his # retired is Bergeron. I do think that Chara gets his number retired, but if it didn't happen I wouldn't be shocked/angry about it. I think retiring a number really should be held for those franchise changing players that were great on and off the ice. I guess I always look at retired #'s as those immortal people that personifies what it means to be a "insert team mascot here"

Chara does more than you think off the ice. He is also beloved by teammates and players around the league still say he is the hardest defender to play against!!!
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:22 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Ok but Backstrom still isn't "exceptional" either. They need to win a cup now or be listed as failures when they built teams that should have won the cup in the last 5 years!!!!

Cups aren't what makes a player exceptional. Is Marcel Dionne a "failure" because he never won a Cup? No. I'm not saying that Backstrom is at the caliber of Dionne, but Backstrom has been one of the two best set-up guys of this generation (Thornton). Backstrom's numbers speak for themselves. He is more "exceptional" than just about any of your precious Bruins.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:24 a.m.
Confused as to what you are saying. @awatt understood what I am saying, and to an extend he agrees that the core hasnt lead to a cup

Saying how could someone of Philly's immense hockey knowledge simply forget that Getzlaf and Perry were on the Ducks 2007 Cup winning team!!!!?????????????
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:26 a.m.
Cups aren't what makes a player exceptional. Is Marcel Dionne a "failure" because he never won a Cup? No. I'm not saying that Backstrom is at the caliber of Dionne, but Backstrom has been one of the two best set-up guys of this generation (Thornton). Backstrom's numbers speak for themselves. He is more "exceptional" than just about any of your precious Bruins.

Oh I could name 4 right now that are more exceptional than Backstrom
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:27 a.m.
Habs/Pens fan

Who?
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:30 a.m.
Chara does more than you think off the ice. He is also beloved by teammates and players around the league still say he is the hardest defender to play against!!!

Oh I'm not saying he doesn't. Like I said, I think BOS retires his number, but if they didn't I wouldn't be upset about it.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:33 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018

Bergeron has a better legacy due to all the Selkes. But that's it.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:42 a.m.
Saying how could someone of Philly's immense hockey knowledge simply forget that Getzlaf and Perry were on the Ducks 2007 Cup winning team!!!!?????????????

Yeah, people can be forgetful. Seeing as how "Trust the Process" has nothing to do with hockey, I'm not sure its relevancy in this discussion.

I corrected myself and said that I don't think that they should be retired just because they won the cup in '07. They were not the nucleus of the team, but they have been for around the next decade, but haven't won yet.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 12:01 p.m.

I would want Backstrom on my team over really any player on the Bruins (except McAvoy, but only because of his age/potential). The only other player that's even close is Bergeron.
krakowitz liked this.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 12:56 p.m.
It's not all about points and on ice stuff. It's also about what they mean to the franchise. I'd wager a guy like Shane Doan/Shea Weber get their jerseys retires for what they've done to grow their franchise before Backstrom does for what he's done on the ice for the Caps.

Selanne was a slam dunk because he did both. He put up the points on the ice and was the face of the franchise off it.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 1:18 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: Jimmybooboo
It's not all about points and on ice stuff. It's also about what they mean to the franchise. I'd wager a guy like Shane Doan/Shea Weber get their jerseys retires for what they've done to grow their franchise before Backstrom does for what he's done on the ice for the Caps.

Selanne was a slam dunk because he did both. He put up the points on the ice and was the face of the franchise off it.

Exactly. Shane Doan is a great example of this. Doan has very few actual NHL accomplishments: a King Clancy, 2 All Star games, and the Messier Leadership Award. But you can't tell me that Arizona isn't going to retire his number. It's 99.999999% a sure thing at this point.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 3:59 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: mtdavis311
I would want Backstrom on my team over really any player on the Bruins (except McAvoy, but only because of his age/potential). The only other player that's even close is Bergeron.

I'd probably take Pastrnak too, due to age and potential as well.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:01 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Jimmybooboo

Agreed. I reside in Arizona, and the Chas Roberts AC company still plays a commercial with Doan in it, and at the end it says, "thank you Captain Doan for your 20 years of service to the desert".
Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:01 a.m.
Quoting: Hockeylover360
Who?

Rask, Chara, Marchand, Bergeron
Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:02 a.m.
Oh I'm not saying he doesn't. Like I said, I think BOS retires his number, but if they didn't I wouldn't be upset about it.

So why wouldn't you be upset. What don't you like about Chara??
Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:03 a.m.

Bergy is 5 times the player Backstrom is.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll