SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Which active players deserve to have their numbers retired today?

Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:04 a.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Yeah, people can be forgetful. Seeing as how "Trust the Process" has nothing to do with hockey, I'm not sure its relevancy in this discussion.

I corrected myself and said that I don't think that they should be retired just because they won the cup in '07. They were not the nucleus of the team, but they have been for around the next decade, but haven't won yet.

Nice try at the save
Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:45 a.m.
Quoting: PaulDunnill
So why wouldn't you be upset. What don't you like about Chara??

Why do I have to not like something about Chara? For me personally, I hold retiring a number to a high standard. Take someone like Bergeron for example. The guy has spent his entire career in Boston and probably finishes it here. He's a Stanley Cup Champ, 4x Selke winner (could be more before he's done) and the guy could go down as the greatest two-way forward of his generation. On and off the ice Bergeron is a class act (not saying Chara isn't) and while he doesn't wear the "C" for the Bruins, people consider the Bruins as Bergeron's team. Not only that but look at the impact he's had grooming/developing guys like Marchand & Pastrnak.

In Boston, Bergeron is the standard, he's everything anyone wants in a player.

Again not saying Chara isn't a guy like that. I wish I could explain it better, but I honestly can't. Maybe I'm a little biased because Bergeron is my favorite non-goalie player.
Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:53 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
Why do I have to not like something about Chara? For me personally, I hold retiring a number to a high standard. Take someone like Bergeron for example. The guy has spent his entire career in Boston and probably finishes it here. He's a Stanley Cup Champ, 4x Selke winner (could be more before he's done) and the guy could go down as the greatest two-way forward of his generation. On and off the ice Bergeron is a class act (not saying Chara isn't) and while he doesn't wear the "C" for the Bruins, people consider the Bruins as Bergeron's team. Not only that but look at the impact he's had grooming/developing guys like Marchand & Pastrnak.

In Boston, Bergeron is the standard, he's everything anyone wants in a player.

Again not saying Chara isn't a guy like that. I wish I could explain it better, but I honestly can't. Maybe I'm a little biased because Bergeron is my favorite non-goalie player.

Ok but there is not only 1 number being retired. They both can earn it. And trust me, I hold retiring numbers to a high standard as well, that's why I was crapping on some of the players that were mentioned above.

I understand and agree with everything you said about Bergy. Imagine Chara though, he IS the captain and has been a great captain, but people call it Bergy's team? If you were Chara that would hurt a bit. Chara's not a rah rah guy, but neither is Bergy, they both lead by example.

Anyway, they are a close knit bunch right now who look up to each other, they're in a great place. When players like Marchand say that they enjoy just watching great players like Bergy and Chara, that says a lot!!!
Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.
Ok but there is not only 1 number being retired. They both can earn it. And trust me, I hold retiring numbers to a high standard as well, that's why I was crapping on some of the players that were mentioned above.

I understand and agree with everything you said about Bergy. Imagine Chara though, he IS the captain and has been a great captain, but people call it Bergy's team? If you were Chara that would hurt a bit. Chara's not a rah rah guy, but neither is Bergy, they both lead by example.

Anyway, they are a close knit bunch right now who look up to each other, they're in a great place. When players like Marchand say that they enjoy just watching great players like Bergy and Chara, that says a lot!!!

I don't think it bothers Chara, like you said he's a lead by example guy and understands how thing change and when it does he changes to make it work. He has been the Captain and been a great mentor to guys like Hamilton, McAvoy, Carlo and many more. Like I said I think both get their numbers retired, but at the end of the day I'd be disappointed if Bergy didn't more so than if Chara didn't. And again maybe that comes back to my biased as a Bergeron fan.

The other thing for me to (and I haven't really looked at the ranks) is where you stack up against other Bruins greats.
Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:03 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
I don't think it bothers Chara, like you said he's a lead by example guy and understands how thing change and when it does he changes to make it work. He has been the Captain and been a great mentor to guys like Hamilton, McAvoy, Carlo and many more. Like I said I think both get their numbers retired, but at the end of the day I'd be disappointed if Bergy didn't more so than if Chara didn't. And again maybe that comes back to my biased as a Bergeron fan.

The other thing for me to (and I haven't really looked at the ranks) is where you stack up against other Bruins greats.

Bergeron's number WILL be retired. Chara, I'm not so sure of, but personally I think it should eventually
ON3M4N liked this.
Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:50 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Rask, Chara, Marchand, Bergeron

Really?
Feb. 9, 2018 at 3:03 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: Hockeylover360
Really?

Yeah, I'm not sure why Boston would retire a Carolina player's number.
Feb. 9, 2018 at 3:28 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
And trust me, I hold retiring numbers to a high standard as well, that's why I was crapping on some of the players that were mentioned above.

So basically every player that isn't a Bruin doesn't deserve to have his number retired?
Feb. 14, 2018 at 8:58 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
So basically every player that isn't a Bruin doesn't deserve to have his number retired?

Only named 4 players. They've all won cups. I'm sorry but if you haven't won a cup you haven't done much
Feb. 14, 2018 at 8:58 a.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Yeah, I'm not sure why Boston would retire a Carolina player's number.

Oh now the funny guy gets a sense of humour!!!!!!>????????
Feb. 14, 2018 at 10:47 a.m.
Below Market Value
Only named 4 players. They've all won cups. I'm sorry but if you haven't won a cup you haven't done much

Yeah that Marcel Dionne was a scrub.
Feb. 14, 2018 at 12:13 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Oh now the funny guy gets a sense of humour!!!!!!>????????

So you first act like Nash means Riley Nash, which i gave you a like on that post because why not, right? But then you act like Rask can't mean Victor Rask. Not to be mean, but do you talk about any team other than the Bruins?
DoctorBreakfast and nobody liked this.
Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:44 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Yeah that Marcel Dionne was a scrub.

not bad career numbers, but Backstrom? He's not even finished his career yet!!
Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:47 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
So you first act like Nash means Riley Nash, which i gave you a like on that post because why not, right? But then you act like Rask can't mean Victor Rask. Not to be mean, but do you talk about any team other than the Bruins?

No reason to, I'm a Bruin fan, not a fan of "multiple teams" , that is an oxymoron, a fan is a fanatic supporter of 1 (ONE) team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:50 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Deleted Post
Feb. 17, 2018 at 1:02 a.m.
No reason to, I'm a Bruin fan, not a fan of "multiple teams" , that is an oxymoron, a fan is a fanatic supporter of 1 (ONE) team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What if you're a fan of hockey in general? You could then be a fan of multiple because you're a fanatic about things hockey.
Feb. 17, 2018 at 1:19 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018

You don't have to be a fan of a team to be educated about them, and you have zero knowledge on any team except the Bruins, and your knowledge on the Bruins is lackluster to say the least.
Feb. 18, 2018 at 5:28 a.m.
Quoting: Jimmybooboo
What if you're a fan of hockey in general? You could then be a fan of multiple because you're a fanatic about things hockey.

very weak. no passion there
Feb. 18, 2018 at 5:37 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
You don't have to be a fan of a team to be educated about them, and you have zero knowledge on any team except the Bruins, and your knowledge on the Bruins is lackluster to say the least.

wish there was a way to test your overall knowledge and (Bruin knowledge) with mine......I'd take you down
Feb. 18, 2018 at 9:05 a.m.
very weak. no passion there

You must be real fun at parties.
Feb. 19, 2018 at 12:29 p.m.
You must be real fun at parties.

they respect my passion for my team at parties
Feb. 19, 2018 at 12:51 p.m.
Edited Feb. 19, 2018 at 1:23 p.m.
they respect my passion for my team at parties

Then they probably move on because the discussion was "who is the best western conference team" and you insisted it was the Bruins.
DoctorBreakfast and TheTown liked this.
Feb. 19, 2018 at 1:46 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
wish there was a way to test your overall knowledge and (Bruin knowledge) with mine......I'd take you down

sure, you could say, "quiz me on other team's players"
and then you could look it up.
Feb. 23, 2018 at 10:11 a.m.
Then they probably move on because the discussion was "who is the best western conference team" and you insisted it was the Bruins.

.....and that's wrong because........???
Feb. 23, 2018 at 10:39 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
.....and that's wrong because........???

They're in the East

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll