SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Atlantic Deadline Preview

Feb. 2, 2018 at 12:05 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Boston Bruins
With a formidable top six, and a red hot goaltender the Bruins are legitimate contenders. Management should look to acquire some depth this deadline, preferably a forward like Vanek, Maroon, or Grabner.
Buffalo Sabres
Another failed season in Buffalo. Selling high on Kane while he's hot would be ideal, then get their fingers crossed for Dahlin.
Detroit Red Wings
The rebuild has been put off for far to long, Detroit needs to start moving contracts; guys like Green and Mrazek come to mind.
Florida Panthers
With a solid young core, the Panthers should seek to moving pending UFA's Vrbata and Sceviour, but don't expect deadline fireworks from this team.
Montreal Canadiens
A disastrous season has given management no choice but to retool the once respected Habs, trade Plekanec, and sell high on Pacioretty while his play is up.
Ottawa Senators
Give Erik Karlsson reason to stay by assembling a young core. Ship off guys like Brassard, Pageau, and Ceci, and build around Brown, White, Chabot, and the other young prospects.
Tampa Bay Lightning
One of the few Atlantic teams with a real shot at the cup, and with a projected 9 million in deadline cap space, expect the Lightning to be all out buyers.
Toronto Maple Leafs
Babcock said the Leafs need to earn help from their GM, and with extremely questionable defense don't be surprised if the Leafs go after someone named Green or Hjalmarsson.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 12:28 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I don't think the Leafs defence is extremely questionable. Gee, if they had allowed just nine fewer goals this season, they would fifth in GAA. Not saying they might get Dman help
Feb. 2, 2018 at 12:30 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: palhal
I don't think the Leafs defence is extremely questionable. Gee, if they had allowed just nine fewer goals this season, they would fifth in GAA. Not saying they might get Dman help

Well with Dermott playing like he’s 27 the defence is much easier to watch. When I say extremely questionable I’m talking in a playoff setting, meaning the Leafs won’t make it far without consistent defence.
Tmlfan06 liked this.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 12:41 p.m.
Below Market Value

Goaltending has made the defense look better than they are. I wouldn't say the defense is "extremely" questionable, but they are questionable. They've got the forwards and the goaltending, but they will make or break based on how that defensive core performs.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 12:44 p.m.
Below Market Value
Maroon just screams "Boston trade target". Big, heavy-playing forward that can chip in offensively when put with a playmaking center.
krakowitz liked this.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 1:35 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Maroon just screams "Boston trade target". Big, heavy-playing forward that can chip in offensively when put with a playmaking center.

Yes, but I'm not really sure he adds much more than DeBrusk and Spooner to the second line, especially not for the price. If we're going to make that kind of move, I'd like to see a bigger play, which pushes Spooner down the lineup and fills the RW2 slot.

I'd also like them try to acquire a top-four left handed defenseman, but that may be a pipe dream at the moment.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 1:51 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Toronto: Don't trade for JT, you can't sign him with your cap problems. Sorry Leaf fans but it's true.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Hjalmarsson to the Leafs makes a lot of sense for them. The big question is what do they give AZ? I'd assume they could part with a 2019 pick or two and a prospect like Nielsen? If they get it done, pairings like this?
Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Hjalmarsson
Dermott-Zaitsev

That D core looks pretty stout.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Toronto: Don't trade for JT, you can't sign him with your cap problems. Sorry Leaf fans but it's true.

No reasonable Leafs fan will claim that this is remotely possible.
Daryl liked this.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 2:13 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: krakowitz
No reasonable Leafs fan will claim that this is remotely possible.

7 of the last 13 armchair-gm teams on the Leafs in either 18-19 or 19-20 involve JT i believe.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 3:07 p.m.
get ur corsi up
7 of the last 13 armchair-gm teams on the Leafs in either 18-19 or 19-20 involve JT i believe.

Raif those Tavares armchair things are just for fun. Any Leafs fan who has at least a basic knowledge of the NHL, knows JT is not coming to Toronto.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:07 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Well, the Leafs don't have cap "problems". What they have is the same as other teams, a cap limit of 80m. Without signing Bozak and JVR the Leafs have about 9m for UFAs next year. Maybe trading Gardiner would make a JT signing possible, but I still doubt the Leafs are really prepared to pay the going JT price.
Daryl liked this.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:20 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan

I Strongly believe Toronto go for a cheap option. Dermott is proving he can stay and play with big minutes. We have 5 D now that can all play 20+ minutes a game. the 6th D comes into questioning. Carrick has been good this year but doesnt scream playoff difference maker. Polak doesnt fit the system. And Borgman has been too inconsistent to play heavy minutes. I believe Toronto should target someone that has the experience to log heavy minutes but won't come at a heavy price. My options: Justin Braun, Ceci, Lovejoy and Gudbranson.

Those guys can log minutes as well play bottom pairing roles but can fill in for bigger roles if playoff injuries occur. Braun might be the most expensive out of the bunch and Ceci is a little young but all 4 can do the same job at a cheaper price than likes of Mike Green and Tyson Bairre
Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Rodzikhockey93
I Strongly believe Toronto go for a cheap option. Dermott is proving he can stay and play with big minutes. We have 5 D now that can all play 20+ minutes a game. the 6th D comes into questioning. Carrick has been good this year but doesnt scream playoff difference maker. Polak doesnt fit the system. And Borgman has been too inconsistent to play heavy minutes. I believe Toronto should target someone that has the experience to log heavy minutes but won't come at a heavy price. My options: Justin Braun, Ceci, Lovejoy and Gudbranson.

Those guys can log minutes as well play bottom pairing roles but can fill in for bigger roles if playoff injuries occur. Braun might be the most expensive out of the bunch and Ceci is a little young but all 4 can do the same job at a cheaper price than likes of Mike Green and Tyson Bairre
Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:29 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Rodzikhockey93
en

Trouble is so many teams are in playoff contention they might not want give up any Dmen. So if you're talking about "out of playoff teams", how many players are really better than what the Leafs have that are available?

Even looking at the Tampa's and Boston and probably others sixth defencemen they don't scream any better than Carrick/Polak/maybe even Holl.
Feb. 3, 2018 at 12:15 a.m.
Trouble is so many teams are in playoff contention they might not want give up any Dmen. So if you're talking about "out of playoff teams", how many players are really better than what the Leafs have that are available?

Even looking at the Tampa's and Boston and probably others sixth defencemen they don't scream any better than Carrick/Polak/maybe even Holl.

Tampa's sixth D is Brayden Coburn, so you're probably right about that one, but they also have Victor Hedman as their #1, so they're winning on the top end.

Boston's sixth D (when healthy) is Kevan Miller, and his switch back to his natural side has made him much better, especially with Matt Gryzelcyk. He's definitely better than Carrick/Polak/Holl.

Honestly, I'm not sure the Leafs need to make another change, really. Unless they're getting a top-pairing guy, they should probably stand pat.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll