Forums/Armchair-GM

We have some trades to announce.

Created by: HawksFan28
Team: 2018-19 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 22, 2018
Published: Feb. 22, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Obviously the chances of any of these trades are slim to none, and such a shakeup of the Hawks roster is highly unlikely but I like the look of this team. On paper it's a tough, skilled, gritty two-way team that has all the pieces a team would need to contend for a cup. It's a good mix of youth, skill and veteran leadership.

I like the defense too, it's much improved from last season.

This team has it all, power forwards in Saad, Simmonds & Hartnell, Snipers in DeBrincat, Grabner & Kane, playmakers in Malkin & Kane., and grit and two-way play and defensive excellence in Bozak, Vermette, Wingles and Hartnell.... It also has some speed mixed in there with Saad, Hinostroza, Grabner, Duclair.... Then of course you got the sandpaper in Simmonds, Hartnall, Wingles, Hayden, Vermette and Saad..

Very good forward corps...

The defense isn't too shabby either. It's a nice mix of offense, defense and experience.

Ok, now criticize away.....
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,200,000
2$1,900,000
2$900,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
1$1,750,000
7$3,500,000
1$1,500,000
1$1,250,000
1$1,000,000
7$6,000,000
Sikura, Dylan
2$925,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Malkin, Evgeni
Additional Details:
Geno gets to be the #1 center which is something he is.
PIT
  1. Toews, Jonathan
Additional Details:
Pittsburgh gets the true elite two-way and complete #2 center they always wanted.
CHI
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (ARI)
ARI
  1. Hossa, Marián
Additional Details:
Arizona is basically buying 4.275 per in cap over the next 3 seasons for 1 million & second round pick.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$82,000,000$73,824,295$1,232,500$982,500$8,175,705
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,975,000$3,975,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW
UFA
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, LW
UFA
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, LW
UFA
Sikura, Dylan
$925,000$925,000
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 8
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$650,000$650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 22, 2018 at 1:40 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Clearly Geno has no interest in more cups with Pittsburgh, you know, that could get boring...

Obviously in a cap world, teams love to buy useless cap for draft picks...

That package is definitely worth much more than Gostisbehere, so definitely toss Simmonds in there...

Oh wait, none of those things are true. This is really bad. Like, travel-to-your-house-and-punch-you-in-the-face bad.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 1:55 p.m.
hawksfan88
Quoting: AK_tune
Clearly Geno has no interest in more cups with Pittsburgh, you know, that could get boring...

That package is definitely worth much more than Gostisbehere, so definitely toss Simmonds in there...

Oh wait, none of those things are true. This is really bad. Like, travel-to-your-house-and-punch-you-in-the-face bad.

lol yeah these values are so off
Jfstompers liked this.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 1:58 p.m.
Pop Pop
Toews is a good dude and leader yeah we know but as much as I hate him malkin is an absolute monster. No way they would ever move him for Toews you're kidding yourself. A second from Arizona to take a contract you don't like away. That's not how it work, maybe throw seabrooke in and they'll give you Keller to or oel
Feb. 22, 2018 at 1:59 p.m.
HawksFan28
Clearly Geno has no interest in 3 cups in a row...

Your attitude is travel-to-your-house-and-punch-you-in-the-face bad.

If you know what's fair then YOU make a team dummy!
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.
That package wouldn't get Gostisbehere, let alone adding Simmonds.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:06 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Jfstompers
Toews is a good dude and leader yeah we know but as much as I hate him malkin is an absolute monster. No way they would ever move him for Toews you're kidding yourself. A second from Arizona to take a contract you don't like away. That's not how it works. No just no

Yea, because most posters have no idea that Hossa has a 1 million dollar salary and a 5.275 cap hit, nor do they know the cap is going up hence the cap floor will rise, nor do they understand that Arizona has to reach the cap floor and that Arizona can do that by 5.275 for only 1 million in salary with Hossa's contract...

Yea, I mean why would Arizona want a 5.275 contract for a million bucks right? it only allows Arizona to pocket 4.275 profit right?

Hawks don't have to trade Hossa..

Pittsburgh doesn't have to trade Malkin, Hawks don't have to trade Toews nor Anisimov or Hartman and Philly doesn't have to trades Simmonds or Ghostbehere...

I mean WTF.......

Seriously tho, people should examine Hossa's contract and then understand HOW that contract can be useful to a team before they start talking crap on face value.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:07 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: HawksFan28
Your attitude is travel-to-your-house-and-punch-you-in-the-face bad.

If you know what's fair then YOU make a team dummy!

Ok, I'll give you some ideas.

1- Any move involving Hossa has to include valuable pieces FROM Chicago TO a team that can handle useless cap and is interested in gaining assets in return. I know Hoss has a low salary-high cap hit, but it doesn't make him desirable, it makes him tolerable if there is a sweetener involved.

2 - Guys like Malkin are untouchable. The Pens are making another cup run as we speak, not sure why Malkin would be upset if people don't think he's 'the guy' in PIT. He has 3 cups, a Conn Smythe, a Hart, and 2 Art Rosses to his name.

3 - Simmonds alone is probably worth that package... Gostisbehere is one of the best young D-men in the league, he's not getting moved just because he'd fit well on the Hawks...

The team you put together is amazing, but it's because the trades are unfair and unrealistic. Does that help?
Hockeyplayer1 liked this.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: phillyjabroni
That package wouldn't get Gostisbehere, let alone adding Simmonds.

In what universe, lol?

Let me guess? Simmonds is dynamo, Ghostbehere is only second behind Karlsson and Anisimov is trash, Hartman is a 4th line fringe NHL'er and Forsling is AHL fodder?

Anisimov, Hartman> Simmonds
Forsling, 2nd
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:13 p.m.
Pop Pop
Yea, because most posters have no idea that Hossa has a 1 million dollar salary and a 5.275 cap hit, nor do they know the cap is going up hence the cap floor will rise, nor do they understand that Arizona has to reach the cap floor and that Arizona can do that by 5.275 for only 1 million in salary with Hossa's contract...

Yea, I mean why would Arizona want a 5.275 contract for a million bucks right? it only allows Arizona to pocket 4.275 profit right?

Hawks don't have to trade Hossa..

Pittsburgh doesn't have to trade Malkin, Hawks don't have to trade Toews nor Anisimov or Hartman and Philly doesn't have to trades Simmonds or Ghostbehere...

I mean WTF.......

Seriously tho, people should examine Hossa's contract and then understand HOW that contract can be useful to a team before they start talking crap on face value.

He isn't worth a second round pick, not now not anymore. If he's so great keep him and stop telling me what a value he is.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:26 p.m.
HawksFan28
Ok, I'll give you some ideas.

1- Any move involving Hossa has to include valuable pieces FROM Chicago TO a team that can handle useless cap and is interested in gaining assets in return. I know Hoss has a low salary-high cap hit, but it doesn't make him desirable, it makes him tolerable if there is a sweetener involved.

2 - Guys like Malkin are untouchable. The Pens are making another cup run as we speak, not sure why Malkin would be upset if people don't think he's 'the guy' in PIT. He has 3 cups, a Conn Smythe, a Hart, and 2 Art Rosses to his name.

3 - Simmonds alone is probably worth that package... Gostisbehere is one of the best young D-men in the league, he's not getting moved just because he'd fit well on the Hawks...

The team you put together is amazing, but it's because the trades are unfair and unrealistic. Does that help?

1. Here is an idea, the Hawks can LTIR Hossa, they don't have to trade him. However, Hossa has a 5.275 cap hit and a 1 million dollar salary. Arizona is going to have to hit the cap floor this summer, and the cap floor is going up significantly.. Hossa's contract would allow Arizona to hit the cap floor for only 1 million dollars, they won't have to pay the 5-7 million cash as salary to get the cap hit they need............THAT's WHY HOSSA'S CONTRACT IS VALUABLE TO BUDGET TEAMS AT THE CAP FLOOR..

2. In what universe did I ever claim this was a deadline proposal? Toews has 3 cups too you know ..... Yes, there is no reason for Pittsburgh to make this trade now, however 95% of proposed ideas on these boards make no sense.... However IF Pittsburgh was looking for someone with Toews skillset - a skillset any team would love, weather they need it or not I think a deal like this would be good for both sides, sure perhaps The Hawks would have to add but Malkin is also almost 3 years older than Toews.

3. There is ZERO way Simmonds is worth that alone... I like Simmonds but he is literally the most overvalued player in the NHL..... Anisismov and Simmonds have almost IDENTICAL production ... So the offensive output of both are even - they just have different styles of play ... Anisimov is more of a big skilled playmaker and Simmonds is a physical power forward.. Ryan Hartman is already a great player at 23 but he can be the next James Neal and Forsling has is a young #5 defensemen, but he certainly has top 4 potential when he gets more NHL experience....

If anything the Hawks give up too much in that trade....

SO yea value-wise I'm close on all accounts.......
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:32 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Jfstompers
He isn't worth a second round pick, not now not anymore. If he's so great keep him and stop telling me what a value he is.

LOL, The Hawks don't have to trade him, he can go on LTIR.... Arizona is NOT doing the Hawks a favor , the Hawks are doing Arizona a favor..

You see how that works?

Ok, you're more than entitled to believe that a 5.275 cap hit for 1 million dollars in salary when you need cap space isn't worth a second round pick... I mean it's only 4.275 million in profit basically since the cap hit offsets.

You better believe a team that has to hit the cap floor and is strapped for cash will want Hossa's contract ... The cap floor is going up 5-7 million...
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:33 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
1. Here is an idea, the Hawks can LTIR Hossa, they don't have to trade him. However, Hossa has a 5.275 cap hit and a 1 million dollar salary. Arizona is going to have to hit the cap floor this summer, and the cap floor is going up significantly.. Hossa's contract would allow Arizona to hit the cap floor for only 1 million dollars, they won't have to pay the 5-7 million cash as salary to get the cap hit they need............THAT's WHY HOSSA'S CONTRACT IS VALUABLE TO BUDGET TEAMS AT THE CAP FLOOR..

2. In what universe did I ever claim this was a deadline proposal? Toews has 3 cups too you know ..... Yes, there is no reason for Pittsburgh to make this trade now, however 95% of proposed ideas on these boards make no sense.... However IF Pittsburgh was looking for someone with Toews skillset - a skillset any team would love, weather they need it or not I think a deal like this would be good for both sides, sure perhaps The Hawks would have to add but Malkin is also almost 3 years older than Toews.

3. There is ZERO way Simmonds is worth that alone... I like Simmonds but he is literally the most overvalued player in the NHL..... Anisismov and Simmonds have almost IDENTICAL production ... So the offensive output of both are even - they just have different styles of play ... Anisimov is more of a big skilled playmaker and Simmonds is a physical power forward.. Ryan Hartman is already a great player at 23 but he can be the next James Neal and Forsling has is a young #5 defensemen, but he certainly has top 4 potential when he gets more NHL experience....

If anything the Hawks give up too much in that trade....

SO yea value-wise I'm close on all accounts.......

Anisimov doesn't match Simmonds production. Simmonds has 4 x 50+pt seasons, AA has a career high of 45... but whatever...

Hossa isn't going to play anymore, i.e. his contract is dead weight. Sure, CHI can keep him and pay him his low salary and put him on LTIR. That's fine. Here's what you're missing - couldn't Arizona find a useful player with a similar cap hit? He could PLAY GAMES while they PAID HIM MONEY? After all, isn't that the concept of putting together a team?

There is at least one guy on every NHL team that has a high cap hit that teams would pay to get rid of (or trade away for pennies on the dollar), so why do you think that ARI would jump at the possibility to lose a nice draft pick just to get a guy who won't even play? There are hundreds of better ways to reach the cap floor.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:34 p.m.
Looks like homeboy getting cranky. Those deal are wack
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:36 p.m.
Also by your logic,

Ghost=bottom pairing dman, 3rd line fwd and 2nd round pick
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:50 p.m.
In what universe, lol?

Let me guess? Simmonds is dynamo, Ghostbehere is only second behind Karlsson and Anisimov is trash, Hartman is a 4th line fringe NHL'er and Forsling is AHL fodder?

Forsling, 2nd

Gostisbehere has immense value to Philadelphia. He has developed strong chemistry with Ivan Provorov and is on a steal at 4.5M w/ term.

Simmonds is lethal on the PowerPlay, but he isn't anything to write home about on 5v5.

Ryan Hartman is a top-six winger.

Your not taking any context into this transaction
Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:36 a.m.
In what universe, lol?

Forsling, 2nd

Why would the Hawks do this trade then?
Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:40 a.m.
Anisimov doesn't match Simmonds production. Simmonds has 4 x 50+pt seasons, AA has a career high of 45... but whatever...

Hossa isn't going to play anymore, i.e. his contract is dead weight. Sure, CHI can keep him and pay him his low salary and put him on LTIR. That's fine. Here's what you're missing - couldn't Arizona find a useful player with a similar cap hit? He could PLAY GAMES while they PAID HIM MONEY? After all, isn't that the concept of putting together a team?

There is at least one guy on every NHL team that has a high cap hit that teams would pay to get rid of (or trade away for pennies on the dollar), so why do you think that ARI would jump at the possibility to lose a nice draft pick just to get a guy who won't even play? There are hundreds of better ways to reach the cap floor.

While I think HawksFan28 is crazy on most of the deals I will try to explain what he is trying to get at about the Hossa contract. Arizona is a perennial cap floor team. They try to be just above the cap floor nearly every year and as we've seen they never exactly build a team to actually compete for a cup. They have about $46M counted against the cap next year and the floor is likely around $60M next season. They have to spend $14M on 6 players to get to the floor. Some of that will be on Domi, unless he is traded like rumors have suggested. They wont spend a dime more on forwards (other than Domi) because they have GREAT forwards in the AHL on ELC. So they need to fill 2 bottom pairing defenseman spots so lets assume $3M there, 1 goalie spot (Raanta resigning) $2-3M there, and 3 forward spots with ELC lets assume $3M there. That's only $9M spent to fill their roster the way they want to. Bad news is that they are still $5M below the cap floor.
This is where the Hossa contract comes in. Arizona doesn't want to spend more that $55M (they are content with their roster) but are required to by the league. So instead of spending another $5M in salary to players, which they feel they don't need given their franchise goals, they add Hossa to the roster and only pay his $1M salary to reach the $60M cap floor. They are essentially making a $4M profit internally by having Hossa on their books and not paying other players to fill that cap space.

I'm not saying this is what is going to happen or that Hossa's contract can be traded for a 2nd round pick, because it can't, I'm just explaining to you the thought processes on how HawksFan28 thinks Arizona might value it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll