SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

We're trying hard, John. Please don't leave! Snow goes all or nothing mode.

Created by: mmobley
Team: 2018-19 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: May 10, 2018
Published: May 14, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,750,000
1$2,000,000
1$750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$11,000,000
1$1,500,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Ho-Sang, Joshua
Additional Details:
2018 1st round pick (NYI, 12th overall)
Rights to RFA Devon Toews
NYI
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (OTT)
COL
  1. Boychuk, Johnny ($3,000,000 retained)
  2. Quenneville, David
NYI
  1. Orpik, Brooks
Additional Details:
Rights to RFA Philipp Grubauer

Taking on Orpik's contract gives WSH room to resign Carlson. Looking at their cap space, WSH isn't going to be able to afford Grubauer. Getting a high pick in the 2018 and a solid D prospect is a good fit for the trade.
WSH
    2018 2nd round pick (CGY, 43rd overall)
    Rights to RFA Kyle Burroughs
    NYI
    1. 2019 3rd round pick (CAR)
    NYI
    1. Johnson, Tyler
    Additional Details:
    Ladd gives TBL a change on the wing, a little more toughness and some scoring touch. NYI taking on part of Ladd's salary also helps TBL make room for the other players the need to sign for the future.
    TBL
    1. Ladd, Andrew ($2,750,000 retained)
    Additional Details:
    Getting Johnson stabilizes NYI down the middle. Tavares, Barzal and Johnson would one of the best C lineups in the league.
    NYI
    1. Bracco, Jeremy
    Additional Details:
    Rights to RFA Connor Carrack

Neslon provides TOR with the 3rd line C that they are have been trying to find. Is young and has some offensive ability. Would be a good fit in TOR.
    TOR
      Rights to RFA Brock Nelson

Nelson is a great player, but NYI would have to trade him to create some cap space. Can find a less expensive UFA to fill a fourth line role.
      NYI
      1. Galchenyuk, Alex
      Additional Details:
      2018 2nd round pick (38th overall)
      MTL
      1. Cizikas, Casey
      Additional Details:
      2018 1st round pick (11th overall)
      2018 3rd round pick (72nd overall)
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      Buried
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the CAR
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the NYI
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      20$78,000,000$70,464,999$0$3,525,000$7,535,001
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $11,000,000$11,000,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 7
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW, LW, C
      UFA - 6
      $4,900,000$4,900,000
      LW, C, RW
      UFA - 2
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
      C, RW
      UFA - 2
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW, C, LW
      NTC
      UFA - 6
      $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
      LW, RW
      UFA - 3
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,200,000$2M)
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      RW
      UFA - 4
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      G
      UFA - 3
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $1,600,000$1,600,000
      LD
      UFA - 3
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      G
      UFA
      $1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
      LD
      NTC
      UFA - 1
      $1,450,000$1,450,000
      RD
      UFA - 5

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      May 14, 2018 at 12:14 a.m.
      Bcarlo25
      Doesn't work with the cap, no room for injuries
      May 14, 2018 at 12:25 a.m.
      Sens are not even going to consider that. A talented winger with attitude problems, a 1st and a 24 year old prospect at a position the sens are already deep at. not enough. If the sens can't get a young RHD for the future I can't see a deal getting done. With New York, that would be Quenneville, and that would likely be a non starter with Isles fans
      May 14, 2018 at 12:25 a.m.
      I think you’ll need to add more to the Tampa trade...
      May 14, 2018 at 12:44 a.m.
      mmobley
      Quoting: Claesson4Norris
      Sens are not even going to consider that. A talented winger with attitude problems, a 1st and a 24 year old prospect at a position the sens are already deep at. not enough. If the sens can't get a young RHD for the future I can't see a deal getting done. With New York, that would be Quenneville, and that would likely be a non starter with Isles fans

Thanks for the post. It's hard to tell the real reasons why NYI isn't playing Ho-Sang, we get the speculations from the media. Weight has come out and said that he wanted him on the team more this season when he addressed the media, so who knows what's going on in NY behind the scenes. The one thing that is a fact is that Ho-Sang has brought value and production to the NYI line up when he's be in. A new start could be good for both parties.

You make some good points about the Karlsson trade. I could see OTT asking for Quenneville. The reason I through Teows into the trade is because he is knocking on the door is NHL ready or very damn close. Quenneville would need more time to develop and it's still hard to say how well he'll do at the pro level because of his size. He's not a burner or an exceptional skater as a undersized D, but has a great IQ and a massive shot. But mobility is typically a must for smaller D to be able to make it at the NHL level. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Quenneville fan and I think he'll do well, but he's still unproven. And I'm honestly not trying to be rude when I say this, but I don't think OTT is deep in any position. I think you're right in that D might be the strongest of their positions, but they could certainly use more help there and everywhere. Also- a 12th overall pick, along with OTT already having the 3rd overall pick is very valuable, so you have to factor that into the trade as well.

What is your specific ideal trade for Karlsson? Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
      May 14, 2018 at 12:50 a.m.
      mmobley
      Quoting: Ajp_18
      I think you’ll need to add more to the Tampa trade...

Thanks for the post. Very possible that TBL would ask for more. The main reason for the trade would be clear cap room for TBL. They also get a veteran player who brings grit and cup experience. His best scoring days are probably behind him, but he could still be effective in a secondary scoring role.

What are your suggestions for adding to the trade? Thanks!
      May 14, 2018 at 1:03 a.m.
      Quoting: mmobley
      Thanks for the post. Very possible that TBL would ask for more. The main reason for the trade would be clear cap room for TBL. They also get a veteran player who brings grit and cup experience. His best scoring days are probably behind him, but he could still be effective in a secondary scoring role.

What are your suggestions for adding to the trade? Thanks!

Maybe the dman you go from Toronto? Carrick?
      May 14, 2018 at 1:17 a.m.
      Quoting: mmobley
      Thanks for the post. It's hard to tell the real reasons why NYI isn't playing Ho-Sang, we get the speculations from the media. Weight has come out and said that he wanted him on the team more this season when he addressed the media, so who knows what's going on in NY behind the scenes. The one thing that is a fact is that Ho-Sang has brought value and production to the NYI line up when he's be in. A new start could be good for both parties.

You make some good points about the Karlsson trade. I could see OTT asking for Quenneville. The reason I through Teows into the trade is because he is knocking on the door is NHL ready or very damn close. Quenneville would need more time to develop and it's still hard to say how well he'll do at the pro level because of his size. He's not a burner or an exceptional skater as a undersized D, but has a great IQ and a massive shot. But mobility is typically a must for smaller D to be able to make it at the NHL level. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Quenneville fan and I think he'll do well, but he's still unproven. And I'm honestly not trying to be rude when I say this, but I don't think OTT is deep in any position. I think you're right in that D might be the strongest of their positions, but they could certainly use more help there and everywhere. Also- a 12th overall pick, along with OTT already having the 3rd overall pick is very valuable, so you have to factor that into the trade as well.

What is your specific ideal trade for Karlsson? Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

I totally disagree about the sens not being deep at any position. At LD and at Centre they have a lot of good players in the pipe. Centre there is Logan Brown who was bending the OHL over a barrel in the playoffs before the Rangers were eliminated, White who's looked pretty good at the World Championship, Batherson who was the leading scorer in the QMJHL playoffs. they also have a good supply of Left handed defensemen with Wolanin being the clear standout. I will admit the cupboards are pretty bare at every other position, especially at RHD.

As for an Ideal trade, I don't think I'd trade with the Islanders but if I had to maybe, Quenneville, Hosang, the 12th and two 2nds? for Karlsson and Condon. Condon had a .902, but that is because the Sens penalty kill absolutely sewered his numbers. He put up a .920 at 5 on 5, which is fantastic considering just how bad the sens were defensively this year. that would still leave you with the Greiss problem, but you'd at least have one goalie figured out for next year.

Edit: I make all my trades on the assumption that Karlsson agrees to sign 8 years at 10 million.
      May 14, 2018 at 6:41 a.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      I just can't see that there are many teams that are going to give a lot of acquire Karlsson. Isles still could finish out of the playoffs, and then they have given up a whole lot of young assets for one year of Karlsson And looking at the cap, the Isles wouldn't likely have cap to resign Karlsson anyway. Then you put in the useless clause. "Karlsson agrees to an extension". What's in for EK? So rarely happens....Make the trade for one year only.
      I even at that in this post, you've traded a bunch of high price players that probably no other teams wants.....Griess, Ladd, even NMC Boychuk..
      May 14, 2018 at 7:33 a.m.
      Who adds what?
      Quoting: Bcarlo25
      Doesn't work with the cap, no room for injuries

So, while people are on LTIR, the players you recall to replace them are counted as part of their cap hit,a s long as they earn less than them.

Adding vets who tend to play most of the games in a season is the main way this roster is improved. This year only Pelech and Leddy played 70+ games. Karlsson has played 70+ games, eventhrough well publicized injuries, the last five straight years. He shows up and does something. Orpik has played 70+ games in four out of the last five. Pulock was a rookie last year and may have the durability to play a full slate.

Whether or not Washington takes a cr@p deal that pretends that, just because they can't afford them, the league's best backup goalie and the guy currently leading playoff defensemen in +/-, who's also top ten in hits and shot blocks and top 40 in points, has negative value. He doesn't. Orpik's worth a 3rd because even though he's made the second round in six straight years by always improving under pressure (and taken the shot that got his team out of the first round in two of these six years), he's really old and only plays 3rd pair. Grubauer's worth a 1st.

But regardless of the trade values, you've gotten the Isles defense much more durable and consistent. That's going to make a big difference.
      May 14, 2018 at 7:46 a.m.
      Log off the internet
      Johnson might be overpaid but he can at least produce, unlike Ladd
      clark liked this.
      May 14, 2018 at 10:42 a.m.
      Nyr_55
      Johnson trade is a joke and if tavares is staying he gets an 8th year and more money
      May 14, 2018 at 10:45 a.m.
      No reason for the Avs to trade for Boychuk even with retention. Not a good fit.
      May 14, 2018 at 2:12 p.m.
      Bcarlo25
      Quoting: Eli
      So, while people are on LTIR, the players you recall to replace them are counted as part of their cap hit,a s long as they earn less than them.

Adding vets who tend to play most of the games in a season is the main way this roster is improved. This year only Pelech and Leddy played 70+ games. Karlsson has played 70+ games, eventhrough well publicized injuries, the last five straight years. He shows up and does something. Orpik has played 70+ games in four out of the last five. Pulock was a rookie last year and may have the durability to play a full slate.

Whether or not Washington takes a cr@p deal that pretends that, just because they can't afford them, the league's best backup goalie and the guy currently leading playoff defensemen in +/-, who's also top ten in hits and shot blocks and top 40 in points, has negative value. He doesn't. Orpik's worth a 3rd because even though he's made the second round in six straight years by always improving under pressure (and taken the shot that got his team out of the first round in two of these six years), he's really old and only plays 3rd pair. Grubauer's worth a 1st.

But regardless of the trade values, you've gotten the Isles defense much more durable and consistent. That's going to make a big difference.

Ya, that's not how the league works though. If some guy has the flu you don't put him on LTIR. If someone has a mild muscle pull or something you can't just put him on LTIR. LTIR has to be a certain number of days. This happened with the Devils a few years ago when they still had Kovalchuk. They were so tight against the cap that when they had a few minor injuries, they wound up playing a game with only 9 forwards.

This roster doesn't work with the cap.
      Eli liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll