Forums/Armchair-GM

Hey nylander take a bridge contract

Created by: PuckPal
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 6, 2018
Published: Oct. 6, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So the more i think about this the more i realize that in nylanders situation a bridge is the best for both parties. The reason is that the leafs want nylander back at less than 7 million and nylander is worried that if he signs long term this year he might start putting up 80-90 pts and be significantly underpaid. Also Matthews and marner contracts will make him look stupid if he signs for his market value. Now yes over the next 2 years he will be paid fairly compaired to similar players (reinhart just got 2×3.75 i belive) this will allow him develop into a better player and may get a bigger AAV and allows the leafs to get rid of Hortons contract and have more capspace to make a better offer. It's a bit of a gamble but at the end of the day its the only chance he has to get an 8 mill AAV.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,500,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$70,983,333$2,550,000$5,400,000$8,516,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 6, 2018 at 6:10 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Not in the best interest for the leafs moving forward but certainly works with our cap and gives nylander the shot at some bigger money. I think he would be very motivated over the next two seasons.
Oct. 6, 2018 at 6:16 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Not in the best interest for the leafs moving forward but certainly works with our cap and gives nylander the shot at some bigger money. I think he would be very motivated over the next two seasons.

with the depth the leafs have in forward it more likely he will put up 80+ seeing they will see less talanted dman more often.
GenXHockey liked this.
Oct. 6, 2018 at 6:27 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo

you say it isn't in the leafs interest, but then if that's the case shouldn't the leafs just pay him the big money? not saying that nylander is 7 m worthy. it is apparent the two sides can't agree on long term deal so there are many options left. even if the leafs up the offer on a two year deal closer to about 5.75m, the Leafs have the cap for those two year and likely more, saying nylander would be motivated for two years, just what the leafs and Nylander need. puck pal, you and me say take this offer to to dubas.
Oct. 6, 2018 at 6:32 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: clark
you say it isn't in the leafs interest, but then if that's the case shouldn't the leafs just pay him the big money? not saying that nylander is 7 m worthy. it is apparent the two sides can't agree on long term deal so there are many options left. even if the leafs up the offer on a two year deal closer to about 5.75m, the Leafs have the cap for those two year and likely more, saying nylander would be motivated for two years, just what the leafs and Nylander need. puck pal, you and me say take this offer to to dubas.

If you are paying Nylander 5.75 you are getting minimum 4 years out of him, maybe even 5.
Oct. 6, 2018 at 6:33 p.m.
Edited Oct. 6, 2018 at 6:39 p.m.
Quoting: clark

The reason it not is though they have tremendous prospects comming up if they planed to go after a top pair shutdown d that plan will have to probable nixed. But yeah it will probably be a csp hit of 8 AAV but if you look at the cap situation it may help if a team tries to offersheet Marner or Matthews by giving 2 million additional capspace next year to get them locked. Also allows Nylander to see how they get the structure their contracts.
Oct. 6, 2018 at 6:53 p.m.
Oct. 6, 2018 at 6:56 p.m.

Never saw that post til right now. But hopefully we're both right on this.
Oct. 6, 2018 at 6:57 p.m.
Quoting: PuckPal
Never saw that post til right now. But hopefully we're both right on this.

Was joking still....i know noone can overwatch all the crap we are putting on this site.....
Oct. 6, 2018 at 8:21 p.m.
Big John T
for the record, MLSE has put word out in public that they have offered $6 and did not raise it a nickel, expecting Nylander to lower his offer before anything else happened. Then around opening day MLSE failed to pressure Nylander publicly and rumors started about MLSE being open to discussing a shorter term deal

Turris and Arizona set the record at 11 games missed, so long as Nylander is signed before that mark it's all ok. I don't think there will be bad blood, Nylander's side seems to be more professional and be aware that even if he gave a huge discount he'd end up traded to solve a mistake elsewhere in the lineup
Oct. 6, 2018 at 8:34 p.m.
Quoting: tatatavares
for the record, MLSE has put word out in public that they have offered $6 and did not raise it a nickel, expecting Nylander to lower his offer before anything else happened. Then around opening day MLSE failed to pressure Nylander publicly and rumors started about MLSE being open to discussing a shorter term deal

Turris and Arizona set the record at 11 games missed, so long as Nylander is signed before that mark it's all ok. I don't think there will be bad blood, Nylander's side seems to be more professional and be aware that even if he gave a huge discount he'd end up traded to solve a mistake elsewhere in the lineup

The thing is 6 million is not a huge discount his market value is around 6.5-6.75. I read that concern but if he's more concerned about putting down roots in a market on an inflated salary if he immediately doesn't start putting up 80-90 pts the fans and media will turn on him a be the reason they are not winning cups. And that point he might ask for a trade. Also this is why he dropped in the draft most team had him in the top 3 but was very concerned he father who was a journeyman due to always wanting an inflated overpriced contract and that this would happen. So really all nylander is doing is proving every team right about him.
Oct. 6, 2018 at 10:26 p.m.
Banned
he's not signing anything for 4.5 he can go play in the KHL for more than that.

The real issues are these young players aren't gonna take your low ball offers after they turned this team around and then watch you throw around cash to some FA who walks in the door. You can talk all day but don't think for one moment they don't realize that. Where was JT the last two years while Nylander was putting up 60+ points for Toronto. No where.
You gonna throw around money to FA you better be willing to cough it up to the players who turned things around. You can look at that young core. Nylander, Marner, Matthews and they are all gonna want their cash too.

Here is the real issue for Toronto. If you sign him to a 1 year deal, it doesn't even matter the amount. Look at the mess you will have on your hands next year trying to sign all 3 guys next year. There isn't even much of a difference between Nylander and Marner points or goals wise. So if Nylander is holding out on a low ball offer, what is Marner gonna do? You will have both of them sitting there telling each other, nah we want more money. Meanwhile they will be breaking the bank on Matthews. With the two of them both asking what about us, while wondering how the teams got 11 million for JT but they get low balled.
Oct. 6, 2018 at 10:52 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
he's not signing anything for 4.5 he can go play in the KHL for more than that.

The real issues are these young players aren't gonna take your low ball offers after they turned this team around and then watch you throw around cash to some FA who walks in the door. You can talk all day but don't think for one moment they don't realize that. Where was JT the last two years while Nylander was putting up 60+ points for Toronto. No where.
You gonna throw around money to FA you better be willing to cough it up to the players who turned things around. You can look at that young core. Nylander, Marner, Matthews and they are all gonna want their cash too.

Here is the real issue for Toronto. If you sign him to a 1 year deal, it doesn't even matter the amount. Look at the mess you will have on your hands next year trying to sign all 3 guys next year. There isn't even much of a difference between Nylander and Marner points or goals wise. So if Nylander is holding out on a low ball offer, what is Marner gonna do? You will have both of them sitting there telling each other, nah we want more money. Meanwhile they will be breaking the bank on Matthews. With the two of them both asking what about us, while wondering how the teams got 11 million for JT but they get low balled.

1st all three wanted tavares to come to toronto they were all in on the pitch and called him to persuade him knowing it would leave less pie for them. 2nd no one is low balling him look at the other players around the league putting up similar numbers they are making what the leafs are offering. 3rd he is asking for 8 million whithout proving he's worth that. Has he in the regular season or playoffs put up a point a game average? No. This is why he's worth only 6.75 on a long term and 4.5 million on a 2 which by the way puts him a year after matthews and marner sign which allows the other 2 to set the price. 4.5 is almost a million more than similar players are getting a bridge contracts 4th the KHL is broke that's why the stars are comming back to the NHL so he wouldn't make 4.5 in the KHL. BTW if he did that the leafs hold he rights and stays an RFA when he comes back so it really doesn't help him. So where is your logic. Yes nylander put up solid top 100 stats and help make the leaf credible again but he isn't a top 25 player in this league so why should he be paid that before proving he can be? Cause we owe him? We owe him to pay him market value which the leafs are trying to do. If he truly wants to put down roots get a NMC on his deal this way even if the leafs trade him he can dictate where he goes.
Oct. 6, 2018 at 11:11 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: PuckPal
1st all three wanted tavares to come to toronto they were all in on the pitch and called him to persuade him knowing it would leave less pie for them. 2nd no one is low balling him look at the other players around the league putting up similar numbers they are making what the leafs are offering. 3rd he is asking for 8 million whithout proving he's worth that. Has he in the regular season or playoffs put up a point a game average? No. This is why he's worth only 6.75 on a long term and 4.5 million on a 2 which by the way puts him a year after matthews and marner sign which allows the other 2 to set the price. 4.5 is almost a million more than similar players are getting a bridge contracts 4th the KHL is broke that's why the stars are comming back to the NHL so he wouldn't make 4.5 in the KHL. BTW if he did that the leafs hold he rights and stays an RFA when he comes back so it really doesn't help him. So where is your logic. Yes nylander put up solid top 100 stats and help make the leaf credible again but he isn't a top 25 player in this league so why should he be paid that before proving he can be? Cause we owe him? We owe him to pay him market value which the leafs are trying to do. If he truly wants to put down roots get a NMC on his deal this way even if the leafs trade him he can dictate where he goes.

uh huh, I'm sure thats the same story all players say about when a new player comes in being the highest paid. You know, politics. He's not gonna be like, I didn't want him here, now I'm gonna get paid less.

He's one injury away from ending a career. Every player knows that. He wants paid.

As for the KHL there are players there making 8 million. I'm sure he can manage 4.5

He's most likely going to get 7 million as that is more what his value is. The team is only offering 6.
And as I said before when you sign him to a 1 year deal where will you be next year. I'm about Positive Marner isn't gonna sign for 6 either. And their stats are pretty much identical.
Marner has a few more assists Willy has 1 more goal over the last 2 seasons, I think there is a 7-8 point difference between the two players over 2 seasons.
Then how does that conversation go. Especially when you hand Matthews double what you are offering him. Then you got 2 players both looking at the team saying I'm worth more than 6. And if you pay up for Marner who's stats are almost spot on, then how much bad blood is that gonna cause.
They don't sign him long term they might as well trade him because next year is gonna be ugly on a 1 year deal.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll