SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Why Trading Nylander is a bad idea

Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 9, 2018
Published: Nov. 9, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
He is a top 10 RW in the league and people want to get him + for guys who play on the top pair but aren't top defenceman.

Pesce, Manson, Montour, Faulk, Muzzin etc none of those guys are top defenceman on their team let alone the league. While Nylander would in many cases be their best RW easily.

The conclusion every fan on here should reach is this, TO can't trade Nylander for a fair price, they'd be selling low to get an upgrade in an area that isn't as weak as anyone thinks.

At this point, keeping Nylander is the best option. Before Dec 1 I anticipate a bridge deal of 2 years and around 5.5 million a season.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,500,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$72,133,333$2,550,000$5,400,000$7,366,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 9, 2018 at 11:57 a.m.
exo2769
@LoganOllivier I noticed the top 10 comps too.. smile I think TOR should trade Nylander for Pesce + . The "+" is very debatable...maybe it's a pick and Jake Bean??? IDK, but Pesce will help them out and if TOR is truly concerned for the future cap hit...Pesce has a GOOD cap hit (For the BEST years of his career) and picks/prospects also have good cap hits.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:01 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: t2a2e9j12k2
thats where you are wrong though rw/lw have considerable less value than number 1 or 2 defencemen. this is proven by the fact that the leafs dont wanna pay him his asking price. If nylander was a true center or a young 1 or 2 defenceman than the leafs would of signed him long ago.

If he was a defenceman with his skill level, of course he'd be worth more. I have never debated that top flight defenceman aren't worth as much as forwards. But lets be serious, is Brett Pesce a top defenceman? Is he even a top defenceman on his team? He's probably 3rd best or maybe 4th depending on how much you value moving the puck. He wouldn't be the top guy in Toronto, he'd probably be 3rd there as well, he isn't as valuable as Rielly or Gardiner.

I really don't understand how this debate always moves back into this rhetoric.

Nylander is somewhere in the top 10-15 RW's in the entire league, I don't at all think that means he should get a top 15 defenceman in return. The point though of all of this, is being a top 15 winger should get you more than a middle pair defenceman.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:05 p.m.
god like
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I like how everyone that says, "Nylander is definitely not a top 10 RW!" Then lists of 8-10 guys, most are better and some are comparable and then say "See". Okay he's the 11th best RW, should I say Nylander is somewhere in the top 15 RW's in the entire league? Even at that its a top player in the league.

Manson has had 1 season where he put up a lot of points, he's good but lets not go nuts based off 1 decent offensive season.

I also pointed out that the trade I proposed was bad, but Nylander + for Manson is much worse, because Nylander is a better player. That was the point.

I am not undervaluing defensmen. I am comparing valuation based off what salary makes sense for the players. If a fair contract for Pesce is 4 million and a fair contract for Nylander is 6.5 million, they are not equal players. Why would a GM pay a guy less money if he's as good as a different player but just plays a different position? This isn't football where a punter never gets paid much because they aren't nearly as important as a Left Tackle.

Pesce will never make more than 5 million a season, why? Because he has pretty much no offensive capabilities but is really good defensively.

As for Nylander's lower value, go ahead and think that. If we were opposing GM's and you said that to me, I'd just hang up the phone. Think it all you want, Nylander is a fantastic player and one that has massive upside, his value isn't lower. Don't call back until you are ready to be serious here.

nylander + for mason is a bit much that is true.

pesce on the leafs number 1 pairing would be a 30-40 point defenseman. plus make it possible for Rielly to expand his game on the offensive side.

the problem you would then have as a gm is you would have to pay nylander what he wants. if you hang up on all the gms making these offers you wont get much accomplished as a gm either. you need to think about the fact that yes nylander is an amazing young player but he plays the wing which no matter how you look at it have less value than d men and centers,
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:06 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: exo2769
@LoganOllivier I noticed the top 10 comps too.. smile I think TOR should trade Nylander for Pesce + . The "+" is very debatable...maybe it's a pick and Jake Bean??? IDK, but Pesce will help them out and if TOR is truly concerned for the future cap hit...Pesce has a good cap hit (For the BEST years of his career) and picks/prospects also have good cap hits.

I am against pretty much any Pesce trade at this point.

Pesce is a terrific defensive player, but he for a bigger guy he isn't very physical and his offensive game is weak. I keep hearing people say he has a great contract, and I have no idea why. Just because its relatively cheap compared to Nylander doesn't make it a good contract. He doesn't deserve any more than he makes. He's a defensive defenseman and they aren't worth more than that.

A great contract would be Pesce locked up for 6 years at 2.25 million. That's be terrific, but at his current rate its just fair.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:09 p.m.
god like
If he was a defenceman with his skill level, of course he'd be worth more. I have never debated that top flight defenceman aren't worth as much as forwards. But lets be serious, is Brett Pesce a top defenceman? Is he even a top defenceman on his team? He's probably 3rd best or maybe 4th depending on how much you value moving the puck. He wouldn't be the top guy in Toronto, he'd probably be 3rd there as well, he isn't as valuable as Rielly or Gardiner.

I really don't understand how this debate always moves back into this rhetoric.

Nylander is somewhere in the top 10-15 RW's in the entire league, I don't at all think that means he should get a top 15 defenceman in return. The point though of all of this, is being a top 15 winger should get you more than a middle pair defenceman.

omg i would take pesce 10000000000000000000 times before i would let gardiner sit in the press box.

that is what wings are worth though and you are undervaluing pesce and most deals have a + with pesce not a huge one but a decent sized +
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:12 p.m.
Analytics are good
Nylander is not a top 10 RW LOL
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
Banned
nylander + for mason is a bit much that is true.

pesce on the leafs number 1 pairing would be a 30-40 point defenseman. plus make it possible for Rielly to expand his game on the offensive side.

the problem you would then have as a gm is you would have to pay nylander what he wants. if you hang up on all the gms making these offers you wont get much accomplished as a gm either. you need to think about the fact that yes nylander is an amazing young player but he plays the wing which no matter how you look at it have less value than d men and centers,

Every one keeps talking about value, and how wingers have lower value than defenceman. Okay, fine, I won't argue that.

What I will argue though is how that makes any sense to this argument? If Pesce on a fair contract is worth around 4 million and Nylander on a fair contract is worth 6.5 then they are not equal and Nylander is worth more. That is just simple economics.

Let's say I have a Porsche and everyone in the world tells me that I already have a couple of Porches so I should get a Truck. Joe Smith offers to trade me something for my Porshe and offers me a Ford F150. Sure I may need the F150 but the Porsche is worth more so trading it for the truck is a poor use of assets.

If Pesce or Manson, or any of the guys being traded for Nylander were as valuable, they'd be making more money.

How can GM's value guys at around 4 million and then argue, "well defenceman are worth more than wingers so that makes this even." That is just an insane way to look at things.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:16 p.m.
exo2769
I am against pretty much any Pesce trade at this point.

Pesce is a terrific defensive player, but he for a bigger guy he isn't very physical and his offensive game is weak. I keep hearing people say he has a great contract, and I have no idea why. Just because its relatively cheap compared to Nylander doesn't make it a good contract. He doesn't deserve any more than he makes. He's a defensive defenseman and they aren't worth more than that.

A great contract would be Pesce locked up for 6 years at 2.25 million. That's be terrific, but at his current rate its just fair.

Where I'll disagree is that Pesce played on CAR's top pair last year. It's not Pesce's fault that CGY wanted to get younger with Hanifin and decided to send back a better Dman in Hamilton. If I were a TOR fan I'd then say...what about Hamilton??? I could see an argument here too! Hamilton is better than Pesce. Also, a pretty good contract.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:19 p.m.
Banned
omg i would take pesce 10000000000000000000 times before i would let gardiner sit in the press box.

that is what wings are worth though and you are undervaluing pesce and most deals have a + with pesce not a huge one but a decent sized +

The most common Pesce trade I've seen is Pesce and a 3rd for Nylander which is a joke. It would have to be something like Pesce, Necas and a conditional 1st for Nylander and Carolina fans say that is insane and it should be Nylander + for Pesce.

I am not overvaluing or undervaluing anyone.

Here is the reality.

Pesce is on a fair contract for what he brings to the table, he's a terrific defensive player with very limited offense. That makes his 4 million dollar deal fair.

Nylander on a fair contract would be somewhere in the ballpark of 6.5-7 million dollars a year for what he brings to the table.

If defenseman are worth more than wingers and these players are of equal skill level, then Pesce would make more salary because defenceman are worth more. The fact that he doesn't now or ever will make more than Nylander, means he is less valuable than Nylander. Why is this so difficult for people to understand.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:22 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: exo2769
Where I'll disagree is that Pesce played on CAR's top pair last year. It's not Pesce's fault that CGY wanted to get younger with Hanifin and decided to send back a better Dman in Hamilton. If I were a TOR fan I'd then say...what about Hamilton??? I could see an argument here too! Hamilton is better than Pesce. Also, a pretty good contract.

Hamilton has a bad attitude and is great if you want to take a lot of stupid penalties. I am not at all a fan of Hamilton. Anyone young guy who gets traded twice because of a questionable attitude is a huge red flag.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:23 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: JayBeagleFanAccount
Nylander is not a top 10 RW LOL

This is the same thing I have heard so many people say and then give me a list where he is 11th or 12th. Let's just say he's a top 15 RW in the league then. He'd certainly be by far the best RW in Washington.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:23 p.m.
god like
The most common Pesce trade I've seen is Pesce and a 3rd for Nylander which is a joke. It would have to be something like Pesce, Necas and a conditional 1st for Nylander and Carolina fans say that is insane and it should be Nylander + for Pesce.

I am not overvaluing or undervaluing anyone.

Here is the reality.

Pesce is on a fair contract for what he brings to the table, he's a terrific defensive player with very limited offense. That makes his 4 million dollar deal fair.

Nylander on a fair contract would be somewhere in the ballpark of 6.5-7 million dollars a year for what he brings to the table.

If defenseman are worth more than wingers and these players are of equal skill level, then Pesce would make more salary because defenceman are worth more. The fact that he doesn't now or ever will make more than Nylander, means he is less valuable than Nylander. Why is this so difficult for people to understand.

pesce is on a steal of a deal only you and other leafs fans think its fair. value on what a guy gets paid and value to a team are also vastly different also.

yes you are over and under valuing players.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:24 p.m.
Banned
pesce is on a steal of a deal only you and other leafs fans think its fair. value on what a guy gets paid and value to a team are also vastly different also.

yes you are over and under valuing players.

Would you pay Pesce 7 million a year?
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:28 p.m.
exo2769
Hamilton has a bad attitude and is great if you want to take a lot of stupid penalties. I am not at all a fan of Hamilton. Anyone young guy who gets traded twice because of a questionable attitude is a huge red flag.

That's fair. It's not a production thing though..He's producing.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:29 p.m.
I like how everyone that says, "Nylander is definitely not a top 10 RW!" Then lists of 8-10 guys, most are better and some are comparable and then say "See". Okay he's the 11th best RW, should I say Nylander is somewhere in the top 15 RW's in the entire league? Even at that its a top player in the league.

Manson has had 1 season where he put up a lot of points, he's good but lets not go nuts based off 1 decent offensive season.

I also pointed out that the trade I proposed was bad, but Nylander + for Manson is much worse, because Nylander is a better player. That was the point.

I am not undervaluing defensmen. I am comparing valuation based off what salary makes sense for the players. If a fair contract for Pesce is 4 million and a fair contract for Nylander is 6.5 million, they are not equal players. Why would a GM pay a guy less money if he's as good as a different player but just plays a different position? This isn't football where a punter never gets paid much because they aren't nearly as important as a Left Tackle.

Pesce will never make more than 5 million a season, why? Because he has pretty much no offensive capabilities but is really good defensively.

As for Nylander's lower value, go ahead and think that. If we were opposing GM's and you said that to me, I'd just hang up the phone. Think it all you want, Nylander is a fantastic player and one that has massive upside, his value isn't lower. Don't call back until you are ready to be serious here.

So a player that isn’t signed doesn’t have lower value than he would if he was signed? That’s a joke if I’ve ever heard one, seems like you’re the typical delusional Toronto fan a top 10-15 wing doesn’t equal a top pair Dman, funny how you talk about being serious though “Dont under value my teams player but let me do that to yours” get out of here with that garbage, I never said Nylander had no value, I said he is valuable, just not worth a top pair Dman, especially while he isn’t signed. And I never said Manson is worth Nylander +, although in the current scenario he would be since Toronto has 0 leverage in the deal and the Ducks have 0 reason to trade Manson
t2a2e9j12k2 liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:34 p.m.
god like
Would you pay Pesce 7 million a year?

i would be very willing to discuss it with his agent depending on my teams needs very similar to what leafs are doing with nylander. his reported ask is 8 + million the leafs are deep on the wings and dont need to pay him that because there need is not there.

how do you know what pesce will get paid.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:36 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Salzy
So a player that isn’t signed doesn’t have lower value than he would if he was signed? That’s a joke if I’ve ever heard one, seems like you’re the typical delusional Toronto fan a top 10-15 wing doesn’t equal a top pair Dman, funny how you talk about being serious though “Dont under value my teams player but let me do that to yours” get out of here with that garbage, I never said Nylander had no value, I said he is valuable, just not worth a top pair Dman, especially while he isn’t signed. And I never said Manson is worth Nylander +, although in the current scenario he would be since Toronto has 0 leverage in the deal and the Ducks have 0 reason to trade Manson

Who would trade anything for a player that they don't know they can sign. Come on man, don't get silly here. If anyone wants to trade for Nylander they will be given permission to offer him a contract and then make the trade once he's agreed to it in principal. That's how these work, and everyone knows that. This whole "his value is getting really low" stuff is just opposing fans wanting to see Toronto bleed a little. It has no basis in reality.

I've repeatedly said that a top 15 RW isn't worth a top 15 defenceman. But tell me, who is the top 15 defenceman being traded to the Leafs? Is Brett Pesce a top 15 defenceman? Not even close.

Who am I overvaluing and who am I undervaluing?

The thing I keep getting blasted for is saying Pesce isn't equal to Nylander, he just isn't. Pesce is a defensive defenceman who is worth about 4 million a year. He is on a fair contract for what he does. Pretty much everyone agrees on that.

Nylander is worth about 6.5 to 7 mill a season, pretty much everyone agrees on that as well.

So I say they are not equal nor are they worth the same. Then everyone loses their minds and tells me I am overvaluing a winger and undervaluing a defenceman.

So explain to me, how a player is worth 4 million salary wise but somehow worth more in a trade than a player who is worth 6.5 million salary wise?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
Banned
i would be very willing to discuss it with his agent depending on my teams needs very similar to what leafs are doing with nylander. his reported ask is 8 + million the leafs are deep on the wings and dont need to pay him that because there need is not there.

how do you know what pesce will get paid.

Because he has a contract that is fair for his contributions. Would anyone really want to give 7 million dollars to a player who puts up 20 some points a season? I sure wouldn't.

Would people be willing to pay a top 15 RW 7 mill a season? Pretty much every team would if they had the chance to do so.

Pesce is only good on a smaller contract, give him 7 million and watch him get 20 points and that GM is fired.

Seriously has no one learned anything from the Hall for Larsson trade?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
Analytics are good
This is the same thing I have heard so many people say and then give me a list where he is 11th or 12th. Let's just say he's a top 15 RW in the league then. He'd certainly be by far the best RW in Washington.

Kucherov
Kane
Stone
Wheeler
Tarasenko
Granlund
Pasta
Radulov
Arvidsson
Kessel
Marner
Rantanen
Boeser
Voracek
Eberle
Pavelski
Aho
Gallagher
Lindholm

20 RWs
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:40 p.m.
Banned
Kucherov
Kane
Stone
Wheeler
Tarasenko
Granlund
Pasta
Radulov
Arvidsson
Kessel
Marner
Rantanen
Boeser
Voracek
Eberle
Pavelski
Aho
Gallagher
Lindholm

20 RWs

Don't you have anything better to do than to just troll Leaf fans? You have no credibility.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:44 p.m.
Who would trade anything for a player that they don't know they can sign. Come on man, don't get silly here. If anyone wants to trade for Nylander they will be given permission to offer him a contract and then make the trade once he's agreed to it in principal. That's how these work, and everyone knows that. This whole "his value is getting really low" stuff is just opposing fans wanting to see Toronto bleed a little. It has no basis in reality.

I've repeatedly said that a top 15 RW isn't worth a top 15 defenceman. But tell me, who is the top 15 defenceman being traded to the Leafs? Is Brett Pesce a top 15 defenceman? Not even close.

Who am I overvaluing and who am I undervaluing?

The thing I keep getting blasted for is saying Pesce isn't equal to Nylander, he just isn't. Pesce is a defensive defenceman who is worth about 4 million a year. He is on a fair contract for what he does. Pretty much everyone agrees on that.

Nylander is worth about 6.5 to 7 mill a season, pretty much everyone agrees on that as well.

So I say they are not equal nor are they worth the same. Then everyone loses their minds and tells me I am overvaluing a winger and undervaluing a defenceman.

So explain to me, how a player is worth 4 million salary wise but somehow worth more in a trade than a player who is worth 6.5 million salary wise?

Again you’re trying to put words in my mouth, I never said it’s really low, I said it’s lower than if he was already signed, if a deal gets agreed to before the trade great his value is at what it should be, they can also just trade his rights for a lower value package, not saying that’s what they should do, and neither of us know what’s happening in trade talks and you can’t assume you do, I never said pesche was a top 15 Dman but a top 62 (Top pairing) he certainly is.

With regards to the salary so you wouldn’t want a top pair defenceman in Manson at 4 million a season? If anything that deal makes him more valuable rather than less.
I agree that that’s what Nylander is worth I never said otherwise, but the idea that salary is an exact indicator of value isn’t true at all, there are plenty of bad contracts and plenty of steals.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:49 p.m.
Analytics are good
Don't you have anything better to do than to just troll Leaf fans? You have no credibility.

I'm trolling? This is news to me.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:57 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Salzy
Again you’re trying to put words in my mouth, I never said it’s really low, I said it’s lower than if he was already signed, if a deal gets agreed to before the trade great his value is at what it should be, they can also just trade his rights for a lower value package, not saying that’s what they should do, and neither of us know what’s happening in trade talks and you can’t assume you do, I never said pesche was a top 15 Dman but a top 62 (Top pairing) he certainly is.

With regards to the salary so you wouldn’t want a top pair defenceman in Manson at 4 million a season? If anything that deal makes him more valuable rather than less.
I agree that that’s what Nylander is worth I never said otherwise, but the idea that salary is an exact indicator of value isn’t true at all, there are plenty of bad contracts and plenty of steals.

I think there is a huge difference between what people call a top pairing defenceman and a #1 defenceman. There are 62 defenceman in the league who play on the top pair, I'd say there could be less than 31 #1 defenceman. For crying outloud, technically Hainsey is a top pairing defenceman. Now with that said, I don't want that taken in the way that Manson isn't good. He's absolutely good, I haven't seen enough of him to form my own opinion of him but he's certainly a very good player. Not a #1 but definitely looks like he'd compliment Rielly well.

I still wouldn't put him at the same value as Nylander though, offense is the hardest thing in the game to find and Nylander is an offensive machine at 5v5 and is one of the best puck retrievers in the offensive and neutral zones.

If you could trade Nylander for Manson and a 1st or 2nd then it's a trade that makes sense, 1 for 1 and the Leafs lose the trade.

With all of that said, I am certain some right handed defenceman on a decent or expiring contract will be available at the deadline that will cost the Leafs far less than Nylander and upgrade the 1RHD position in a big way. Lets be honest here, upgrading over Hainsey isn't exactly a big addition.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:58 p.m.
Banned

Radulov....enough said. Go back to staring at your Tom Wilson poster.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 9, 2018 at 12:58 p.m.
Jah1722

Not many of them make more than what Nylander is asking for so they aren’t better.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll