SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Remember the days when it didnt cost your first born to acquire a defenceman

Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:11 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: wojme
Your options are to pay the correct price for a stud or pay the low price for low value

So are we in a world were you are either a stud or a low value player? There is nothing in between? Every top 4 defenceman is worth Nylander and Liljegren and if you don't want to pay that much then you have to take a bad contract that is obviously a horrible for the cap situation in TO. Am I completely alone in thinking everything is just insane on here? How can there only be 2 options?
Eli liked this.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:12 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Eli
Thanks so much! This board is so much more fun when we all just get along and talk hockey.

By the way, because the Caps are close to the contract limit, and have no waiver exempt guys, they're probably going to throw in a roster player like Dowd or Stephenson, and a C prospect or two, before they're actually comfortable taking on two players for one..... if the teachers' pension approves.

I think the value of a player to a team depends a lot on the player, but also a lot on the team's needs, so if you're not picky, there's usually a way to find someone who can help a team at whatever you consider a reasonable price.

Which is the point I tried to make with this but it does seem that I can type one thing and most on here will jump in guns a blazin without actually having a clue what I actually said.
Eli liked this.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:17 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
So are we in a world were you are either a stud or a low value player? There is nothing in between? Every top 4 defenceman is worth Nylander and Liljegren and if you don't want to pay that much then you have to take a bad contract that is obviously a horrible for the cap situation in TO. Am I completely alone in thinking everything is just insane on here? How can there only be 2 options?

I think, IMO at least, that the pieces you are willing to give up make it very hard to come up with names that would actually make the Leafs better. I think Hainsey is fine, but struggles with the amount of minutes he gets...especially as we move later into the season.

From what I can gather, it seems you don't like Hainsey at all and so there may be a lot of players in the league you view as an improvement over him....methinks this is where the discconect is on this thread.

Again, IMO, the leafs D is only made better if you can slot someone ahead of Hainsey on the RH depth chart...which means you need a top pairing defenceman. Even if that guy isnt a 'stud', you can find a top pairing d-man for the assets suggested
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:20 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Hedman77
No, because you call anyone who disagrees with you a troll. I never even said there was a crazy trade proposal here lmao.. I probably should have expected once since you were the OP

If valuing defensemen for what they’re worth is trolling, then **** it I guess I’m a troll

Okay I think I figured you out. You get off on arguing. I call you and people like you a troll because you don't contribute anything. Literally nothing.

The point of this was to gauge what potential minor deals are out there. Read Eli's responses to this thread, thoughtful and respectful feedback from him. I asked a question, so I am not sure how I am mad because no one agrees with me, I didn't post anything that anyone could really agree or disagree with. In fact I was specifically asking for feedback to formulate a future idea that could be worth discussing. Had you said, I'd give you whoever, for Brown, that would be constructive feedback. You did not not that, nor do you ever do that. All you do on here is insult people and argue for kicks.

If that isn't the case, its up to you to change how you approach your posting on here. I'm willing to start over with a clean slate here, give me some sort of constructive feedback and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Juice liked this.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:25 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Juice
I think, IMO at least, that the pieces you are willing to give up make it very hard to come up with names that would actually make the Leafs better. I think Hainsey is fine, but struggles with the amount of minutes he gets...especially as we move later into the season.

From what I can gather, it seems you don't like Hainsey at all and so there may be a lot of players in the league you view as an improvement over him....methinks this is where the discconect is on this thread.

Again, IMO, the leafs D is only made better if you can slot someone ahead of Hainsey on the RH depth chart...which means you need a top pairing defenceman. Even if that guy isnt a 'stud', you can find a top pairing d-man for the assets suggested

The best seasons Erik Karlsson has had have been when he was paired with Marc Methot. He isn't a stud defenceman, he isn't even a top pair defenceman, he's a solid vet who can play reliable minutes and lets his partner do his thing. Hainsey did a great job of that to start his time in TO but he's lost a step and he gets caught out of position way too often. I'd much rather see him lower in the lineup and on the left side which is his strong side. I don't think you need a stud to play with Rielly, of course that would be awesome if you could get one but the cost to get one is massive right now. Way too much in my opinion, so to me there is likely some smaller move where you can give up a guy like Brown, a 1st and something else and get an upgrade that will either be just a deadline acquisition who walks this year or next year. I think the long term answer for the defence is coming in the way of Liljegren and Sandin.

So is it just impossible for the Leafs to find an upgrade on the back end at a fair cost that doesn't include a massive overpay?
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:25 p.m.
Banned
Ozhiganov isn't playing top 4, he's on the bottom pair. And the team that is right near the top of the league in Goals against doesn't desperately need a top defenseman. Again they already have one in Reilly, they need a better partner for him. A rental player would be fine, what's available in the rental market? If you are going to just jump back in here saying Nylander, Liljegren, Sandin, Marner and Matthews for Brett Pesce, just don't. Just go find a bridge and troll others.

actually I wasn't trolling you at first but know you getting all angry about it makes me want to troll you so have fun losing in the first round again you chimp
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:27 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: IAMAHOCKEYPLAYER69
actually I wasn't trolling you at first but know you getting all angry about it makes me want to troll you so have fun losing in the first round again you chimp

Do you enjoy trolling people? Why? In what way does trolling people benefit you? I am not angry, frustrated for sure, but not angry.

This site can get to me, mainly because someone can say one thing and many twist is all and go nuts and lose complete site of everything that matters.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:29 p.m.

You're not alone at all in thinking that. I think most commentary on this forum is a little cracked... but such is the nature of being a fan.

I read somewhere once that 20% of players would be playing in the NHL no matter what. They're just that good. The other 80% have had things break right for them with coach's and managment decisions throughout their playing life. Meaning, there isn't a huge difference between that 80% of NHL players vs guys in the AHL. Comes down to alot things beyond pure skill - attitude, work ethic, the ability to have chemistry with other players and in the locker room, your "gud pro" rating... that's really the beauty of hockey, it truly is a team game. Vegas made that point last year.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:31 p.m.
The best seasons Erik Karlsson has had have been when he was paired with Marc Methot. He isn't a stud defenceman, he isn't even a top pair defenceman, he's a solid vet who can play reliable minutes and lets his partner do his thing. Hainsey did a great job of that to start his time in TO but he's lost a step and he gets caught out of position way too often. I'd much rather see him lower in the lineup and on the left side which is his strong side. I don't think you need a stud to play with Rielly, of course that would be awesome if you could get one but the cost to get one is massive right now. Way too much in my opinion, so to me there is likely some smaller move where you can give up a guy like Brown, a 1st and something else and get an upgrade that will either be just a deadline acquisition who walks this year or next year. I think the long term answer for the defence is coming in the way of Liljegren and Sandin.

So is it just impossible for the Leafs to find an upgrade on the back end at a fair cost that doesn't include a massive overpay?

Is it not possible that Hainsey's play is allowing Rielly to thrive the same way Methot let Karlsson thrive? He's on the ice so much which is why he'll be more prone to making mistakes as he fatigues. I've mentioned on here and a few other threads...someone like a Deryk Engelland could be had from Vegas if they find themselves out of the playoff picture. Is he an upgrade on Hainsey? Probably not...but he's a vet that can be relied on for 20min and, as a pending UFA, might be had for a pair of mid-round picks.

Is it an upgrade? Debateable? But I think anyting you acquire with the pieces you've suggested will be debated in the same manner...are they actually an upgrade?
S1LV3R liked this.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:34 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Really that's the point? Oh thanks for the help.

The following isn't neccessarily directed at you more to pretty much everyone who has not at all understood what the point of this post is.

Guy 1 asks, hey internet friends and hockey fans. Here are a list of assets, what do you think I can get for these?

Internet people.

YOU CAN'T GET A STUD DEFENCEMAN FOR THAT PRICE YOU IDIOT! YOU ARE SO STUPID!

Guy 1

Ah, I didn't ask for a stud defenceman, I asked what defenceman I could get for the package of assets I listed.

Internet people.

Nylander or nothing.

Guy 1

"Excuse me? I gave a list of players can we work within the parameters listed above?"

Internet people.

"Are you stupid? We already said you aren't getting a stud defenceman unless you trade Nylander, a 1st and your top prospect!"

Guy 1

"Is anyone reading anything I am saying? I gave a list of assets and I am wondering what I can get for them, it doesn't have to be a stud defenceman."

Internet people,

"Auston Matthews!"

Guy 1

Face palm and quietly mutters, "well this really is my won fault, this is 100% the outcome of any realistic question on cap friendly"

Lol some sensitivity training might do you some good. Yelling at the internet won’t amount to anything.

If we were to isolate this thread on its own, you’d be right. You suggested a list of names and asked what they can get. People on here have just extrapolated from all your previous discussions from other threads, and the fact that the leafs need a top pairing guy.
Zaitsev is an adequate 2nd pairing guy, the Left side is good with Reilly and Gardiner. What’s missing? A top pairing RD and the list of guys you’re willing to give up doesn’t get a top pairing RD... and voilà! that’s how people got to their comments.
Juice liked this.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:35 p.m.
Do you enjoy trolling people? Why? In what way does trolling people benefit you? I am not angry, frustrated for sure, but not angry.

This site can get to me, mainly because someone can say one thing and many twist is all and go nuts and lose complete site of everything that matters.

These are the kinds of posts you need to just not respond to. He flat out told you he's having fun getting under your skin so just take away his platform by not replying....or only reply if you're in the mood for playful banter
S1LV3R liked this.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:37 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
You're not alone at all in thinking that. I think most commentary on this forum is a little cracked... but such is the nature of being a fan.

I read somewhere once that 20% of players would be playing in the NHL no matter what. They're just that good. The other 80% have had things break right for them with coach's and managment decisions throughout their playing life. Meaning, there isn't a huge difference between that 80% of NHL players vs guys in the AHL. Comes down to alot things beyond pure skill - attitude, work ethic, the ability to have chemistry with other players and in the locker room, your "gud pro" rating... that's really the beauty of hockey, it truly is a team game. Vegas made that point last year.

Absolutely man!

It gets so annoying when I write, "Nylander is worth more than Josh Manson." and all I get is responses like this, "You're an idiot if you think Manson isn't a good player." Totally didn't say he wasn't, just said he isn't the same level as Nylander. Then I'll get called more names because I am a Leafs homer for saying a 22 year old player with a sky high ceiling is better than a 27 year old defenceman who has a career high of 37 points. Its just silly how people just jump on others and get kicks out of insulting them. Its sad what people are like these days.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:39 p.m.
Banned
Is it not possible that Hainsey's play is allowing Rielly to thrive the same way Methot let Karlsson thrive? He's on the ice so much which is why he'll be more prone to making mistakes as he fatigues. I've mentioned on here and a few other threads...someone like a Deryk Engelland could be had from Vegas if they find themselves out of the playoff picture. Is he an upgrade on Hainsey? Probably not...but he's a vet that can be relied on for 20min and, as a pending UFA, might be had for a pair of mid-round picks.

Is it an upgrade? Debateable? But I think anyting you acquire with the pieces you've suggested will be debated in the same manner...are they actually an upgrade?

From a statistical examination, Hainsey is definitely a detriment to Rielly. Rielly's possession numbers are elite, as long as he isn't with Hainsey but then is average when he's with Hainsey. I am not sure how a 1st round pick, even a late one wouldn't be worth something better than Hainsey. Its like everyone on here thinks that even a depth deadline acquisition will be worth Nylander and 2 firsts. Its just silly.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.
Banned
These are the kinds of posts you need to just not respond to. He flat out told you he's having fun getting under your skin so just take away his platform by not replying....or only reply if you're in the mood for playful banter

I kind of want to understand why its fun for him though. I just don't get why trolling is celebrated. It doesn't contribute anything meaningful, makes you look like an asshole and saps all your credibility. Is any of that something people should strive for? I just don't understand it, its such a weird concept.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:43 p.m.
Absolutely man!

It gets so annoying when I write, "Nylander is worth more than Josh Manson." and all I get is responses like this, "You're an idiot if you think Manson isn't a good player." Totally didn't say he wasn't, just said he isn't the same level as Nylander. Then I'll get called more names because I am a Leafs homer for saying a 22 year old player with a sky high ceiling is better than a 27 year old defenceman who has a career high of 37 points. Its just silly how people just jump on others and get kicks out of insulting them. Its sad what people are like these days.

Sticks, stones, internet chat comments... don't let it rile you up. there's more to life.. beauty snowfall outside right now
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:44 p.m.
I kind of want to understand why its fun for him though. I just don't get why trolling is celebrated. It doesn't contribute anything meaningful, makes you look like an asshole and saps all your credibility. Is any of that something people should strive for? I just don't understand it, its such a weird concept.

If you're getting mugged in the park are you going to stop your assailant to ask him his motivations for wanting your watch and wallet? Some people enjoy being poop disturbers and don't really come to an internet message board to seek self reflection
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:46 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Blazingbat11
Lol some sensitivity training might do you some good. Yelling at the internet won’t amount to anything.

If we were to isolate this thread on its own, you’d be right. You suggested a list of names and asked what they can get. People on here have just extrapolated from all your previous discussions from other threads, and the fact that the leafs need a top pairing guy.
Zaitsev is an adequate 2nd pairing guy, the Left side is good with Reilly and Gardiner. What’s missing? A top pairing RD and the list of guys you’re willing to give up doesn’t get a top pairing RD... and voilà! that’s how people got to their comments.

Marc Methot was a top pair guy for years. Doesn't mean he's a top pair defenceman on his own, he was just a really good complimentary piece to Karlsson. That is what I want for the Leafs, a good complimentary piece for Rielly. Toronto has an unquestionable #1 dman in Rielly, he's going to be in the running for a Norris this season and he's only 24. They don't need to spend massive assets to obtain a #1 RHD. They need to find their own version of Marc Methot. I highly doubt it would cost you more than Brown and a 1st round pick to find someone who would be an upgrade over Hainsey that would be needed for 1-2 years tops until Liljegren or some other prospect is ready to contribute.

As for yelling at the internet, I am at a loss as to how to get meaningful discussion on here. As I said, I didn't direct that at you, more to the people who instead of reading and the post and contributing with constructive feedback, they just insulted me and Leaf fans for thinking they will get a stud dman for a bag of pucks. I don't think I can be anymore open about the fact I don't want to even think of pursing a stud dman, I know that would be a bad idea.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:48 p.m.
Banned
Sticks, stones, internet chat comments... don't let it rile you up. there's more to life.. beauty snowfall outside right now

Oh believe me, nothing these people say to me hurts my feelings. Its a pretend thing on the internet. It couldn't be much less meaningless to my day to day life. I just enjoy talking hockey and was hoping to get some real feedback. I unfortunately don't have enough time to follow every team so I was hoping some other fans would have something to offer.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:48 p.m.
Banned
If you're getting mugged in the park are you going to stop your assailant to ask him his motivations for wanting your watch and wallet? Some people enjoy being poop disturbers and don't really come to an internet message board to seek self reflection

Very true, although I was once told that no matter who you meet you can always learn something from them.
Juice liked this.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:57 p.m.
Banned

i enjoy trolling you since you are getting so frustrated by it and you're a Leafs fan so it is fun for me
Dec. 6, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
Log off the internet
Okay I think I figured you out. You get off on arguing. I call you and people like you a troll because you don't contribute anything. Literally nothing.

The point of this was to gauge what potential minor deals are out there. Read Eli's responses to this thread, thoughtful and respectful feedback from him. I asked a question, so I am not sure how I am mad because no one agrees with me, I didn't post anything that anyone could really agree or disagree with. In fact I was specifically asking for feedback to formulate a future idea that could be worth discussing. Had you said, I'd give you whoever, for Brown, that would be constructive feedback. You did not not that, nor do you ever do that. All you do on here is insult people and argue for kicks.

If that isn't the case, its up to you to change how you approach your posting on here. I'm willing to start over with a clean slate here, give me some sort of constructive feedback and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Ok, how about don’t do Parayko for Nylander and instead take the other team’s needs into consideration
Dec. 6, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
Oh believe me, nothing these people say to me hurts my feelings. Its a pretend thing on the internet. It couldn't be much less meaningless to my day to day life. I just enjoy talking hockey and was hoping to get some real feedback. I unfortunately don't have enough time to follow every team so I was hoping some other fans would have something to offer.

Real feedback is rare. But if that's what you're looking for, especially when talking hockey shop, I suggest your favorite pub is a good place to start smile
Dec. 6, 2018 at 4:02 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: IAMAHOCKEYPLAYER69
i enjoy trolling you since you are getting so frustrated by it and you're a Leafs fan so it is fun for me

Come on friend, you can do better than that. I want to know how this betters your day. Explain to me how the thought of making some angry brings you pleasure? It seems weird but I promise to keep an open mind.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 4:03 p.m.
Banned
Real feedback is rare. But if that's what you're looking for, especially when talking hockey shop, I suggest your favorite pub is a good place to start smile

Funny enough, my favourite pub is owned by Matt Murrays cousin. Its awesome!
Dec. 6, 2018 at 4:11 p.m.
Banned
Come on friend, you can do better than that. I want to know how this betters your day. Explain to me how the thought of making some angry brings you pleasure? It seems weird but I promise to keep an open mind.

it betters my day by giving myself a few laughs because someone like you lacks the understanding to take a joke

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll