Forums/Armchair-GM

Is it time

Created by: GenXHockey
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 23, 2018
Published: Dec. 23, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Nylander seems to be back to speed. This would generate 3 very dangerous lines. When Hyman gets back put Johnsson back with Matthews and put marleau with Kadri and kappy.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$77,561,111$2,550,000$6,250,000$1,938,889
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$10,277,778$10,277,778
RW
UFA - 6
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 23, 2018 at 10:31 p.m.
Kind of hard to demote Kapanen.
shaf_daddy liked this.
Dec. 23, 2018 at 10:51 p.m.
Shaf_daddy
Hard no.
Dec. 23, 2018 at 10:52 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Goulet
Kind of hard to demote Kapanen.

I don’t think so. That was the line he was on with Matthews out and I think did very well. Rolling these three lines for 18 minutes a night each would put up great numbers. Kappy is going and could get Kadri hot again. Really our top nine is just that. Our best nine players.
Dec. 23, 2018 at 10:54 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: shaf_daddy
Hard no.

Any reason why?
Dec. 23, 2018 at 11:11 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Moore one game, one point. Nylander eight games, two points. Maybe Moore get prime time instead of Nylander.smile Nylander still looks off his game to me
Dec. 23, 2018 at 11:19 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: palhal
Moore one game, one point. Nylander eight games, two points. Maybe Moore get prime time instead of Nylander.smile Nylander still looks off his game to me

I thought he was looking really good tonight. Moore did as well and maybe he pushes out ennis and is given a shot to work up the roster.

Was it just me or did Moore look like he was skating with the leafs as easily as the marlies? Just a smart calm and quick game. And that assist, although it wasn’t primary showed great vision. I am impressed.

The skate nylander had tonight when he went through the defender’s legs showed that drive, and then the fake shot pass to the tip off the crossbar, I like that vision too.
Dec. 23, 2018 at 11:31 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Jamiepo
I thought he was looking really good tonight. Moore did as well and maybe he pushes out ennis and is given a shot to work up the roster.

Was it just me or did Moore look like he was skating with the leafs as easily as the marlies? Just a smart calm and quick game. And that assist, although it wasn’t primary showed great vision. I am impressed.

The skate nylander had tonight when he went through the defender’s legs showed that drive, and then the fake shot pass to the tip off the crossbar, I like that vision too.

Good for Moore. There aren't many forwards who make NHL at age 24. Don't know if he much NHL upside (though he does have 17 goals this season)). With injuries and a hopeful long playoff run, Leafs just might need another competent winger. Maybe it's Moore this season. as the "10th" forward.
Dec. 23, 2018 at 11:50 p.m.
I don’t think so. That was the line he was on with Matthews out and I think did very well. Rolling these three lines for 18 minutes a night each would put up great numbers. Kappy is going and could get Kadri hot again. Really our top nine is just that. Our best nine players.

I think you're right and we'll see Kappy with kadri and Marleau. That line has the makings of a nice shut down line for the playoffs. Let JT, Marner and Hyman go head to head with anyone and then Matthews, Nylander and Johnsson get some gravy match and light the lamp. Even when we're on the road and the other team tries to match JT or Matthews lines with their top 2 lines, then a line of Marleau, Kadri and Kappy getting 3rd line matchups is going to result in those three putting up some points. Man, this forward depth is nice to have!

Thought Moore looked good in limited minutes. Liking the Goat more with each passing game (does he turn into a Brian Boyle kinda guy??). The shine is wearing off LIndholm for me. Brown did an awesome job Pk'ing. I tried to watch Jensen as much as I could tonight. I like him. He might look good in blue at the trade deadline
Dec. 24, 2018 at 12:47 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
I think you're right and we'll see Kappy with kadri and Marleau. That line has the makings of a nice shut down line for the playoffs. Let JT, Marner and Hyman go head to head with anyone and then Matthews, Nylander and Johnsson get some gravy match and light the lamp. Even when we're on the road and the other team tries to match JT or Matthews lines with their top 2 lines, then a line of Marleau, Kadri and Kappy getting 3rd line matchups is going to result in those three putting up some points. Man, this forward depth is nice to have!

Thought Moore looked good in limited minutes. Liking the Goat more with each passing game (does he turn into a Brian Boyle kinda guy??). The shine is wearing off LIndholm for me. Brown did an awesome job Pk'ing. I tried to watch Jensen as much as I could tonight. I like him. He might look good in blue at the trade deadline

Jensen didn’t look bad but no better than marincin or Oz.

That was my thinking as well with the lines. I am starting to feel the same way about lindholm but really I think that goes for anyone on our fourth line. I seem to go from player to player on that line wanting to fire them into the sun. Never gauthier really because of the low expectations. Next Boyle, I’m not sure about that but if he could just be Matt Martin under 1m I think he has a place next year. But he never will be. We need a tough guy, badly.

To be honest I think we have too much cheap talent in the AHL to sign any ufa’s next season. Moore and grundstrom could easily replace ennis and lindholm. Maybe a cheap league minimum vet 4c.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 12:51 a.m.
Shaf_daddy
Any reason why?

I just think Kapanen deserves it more & I hope he sticks around longer than Willy, though that's likely doubtful. I think either way the best scenario is to have him showcased more. Either you get a bigger return or you see he's more valuable to this team than some have expected.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 2:12 a.m.
Banned

why so Kappy, Marner and Matthews can rack up garbage points when the game is already over in contract years. My god, they should be playing their 4th line 25 minutes a night by now.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 4:57 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: pharrow
why so Kappy, Marner and Matthews can rack up garbage points when the game is already over in contract years. My god, they should be playing their 4th line 25 minutes a night by now.

Ever say anything constructive or correct? You realize those players have been scoring first goals and game winning goals right?
Dec. 24, 2018 at 8:07 a.m.
Jensen didn’t look bad but no better than marincin or Oz.

That was my thinking as well with the lines. I am starting to feel the same way about lindholm but really I think that goes for anyone on our fourth line. I seem to go from player to player on that line wanting to fire them into the sun. Never gauthier really because of the low expectations. Next Boyle, I’m not sure about that but if he could just be Matt Martin under 1m I think he has a place next year. But he never will be. We need a tough guy, badly.

To be honest I think we have too much cheap talent in the AHL to sign any ufa’s next season. Moore and grundstrom could easily replace ennis and lindholm. Maybe a cheap league minimum vet 4c.

I don't know, Jensen played like 22 mins last nigth and came out a plus 1, for what that's worth. I like Oz (Mar Mar not so much) but he;s like 14 mins a night, no pk and pp time. I think he looks good with Dermott and I think he can grow into a really good 5/6 d. But I could see a play for Jensen, who does alot of Pking, throw him out with Mo and push Hainsey down with Dert. That lands Oz in the press box and gives us good d depth for the playoffs with Bab's trusting OZ to fill in for injuries if needed. Its easy to tell he doesn't trust Holl. Plus Jensen is a super cheap cap hit, wouldn't cost much in a trade and he could walk as a UFA if it didn't work out.

I'm on the fence with the Goat. He can look slow as molasses and can have hands of stone, but he does remind me a bit of Boyle in that they're both huge and Boyle didn't even get a regular shift until he was like 25yrs old. My expecations for the Goat have always been tempered but he could be a diamond in the rough.

I hear ya on the 4th line lack of love. Somepne posted a signing of Rick Nash the other day. If he is healthy that could be a neat Mike Fisher kinda signing for the playoffs and give us a 4th line of Nash, Goat, Brown, and leave us with a press box of Lindholm, Ennis and Oz if we got Jensen. That's good depth for the playoffs and Babs trusts all of them.

I also hear ya on the potential need for toughness. I think this aspect gets poo pooed to often, and maybe from folks who've never played the game at a high level. I know from my pathertic career in competitive hockey that when there is a guy like a Tom Wilson running amok against your team, he can take your team off its game and it helps to have someone who can set him straight. I love kadri, but I don't think its fair to give him that assignment.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 12:21 p.m.
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
I don't know, Jensen played like 22 mins last nigth and came out a plus 1, for what that's worth. I like Oz (Mar Mar not so much) but he;s like 14 mins a night, no pk and pp time. I think he looks good with Dermott and I think he can grow into a really good 5/6 d. But I could see a play for Jensen, who does alot of Pking, throw him out with Mo and push Hainsey down with Dert. That lands Oz in the press box and gives us good d depth for the playoffs with Bab's trusting OZ to fill in for injuries if needed. Its easy to tell he doesn't trust Holl. Plus Jensen is a super cheap cap hit, wouldn't cost much in a trade and he could walk as a UFA if it didn't work out.

I'm on the fence with the Goat. He can look slow as molasses and can have hands of stone, but he does remind me a bit of Boyle in that they're both huge and Boyle didn't even get a regular shift until he was like 25yrs old. My expecations for the Goat have always been tempered but he could be a diamond in the rough.

I hear ya on the 4th line lack of love. Somepne posted a signing of Rick Nash the other day. If he is healthy that could be a neat Mike Fisher kinda signing for the playoffs and give us a 4th line of Nash, Goat, Brown, and leave us with a press box of Lindholm, Ennis and Oz if we got Jensen. That's good depth for the playoffs and Babs trusts all of them.

I also hear ya on the potential need for toughness. I think this aspect gets poo pooed to often, and maybe from folks who've never played the game at a high level. I know from my pathertic career in competitive hockey that when there is a guy like a Tom Wilson running amok against your team, he can take your team off its game and it helps to have someone who can set him straight. I love kadri, but I don't think its fair to give him that assignment.

Agreed. Here are my trades to address the toughness issue prior to the trade deadline. I may be a little light on what we give up but I think it addresses the issue. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/edit/944150
Dec. 24, 2018 at 12:47 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: aporter0509
Agreed. Here are my trades to address the toughness issue prior to the trade deadline. I may be a little light on what we give up but I think it addresses the issue. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/edit/944150

You put the link up in edit mode
Dec. 24, 2018 at 3:49 p.m.
You put the link up in edit mode

Oh. Not good. How do I do it otherwise?
Dec. 24, 2018 at 6:18 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: aporter0509
Oh. Not good. How do I do it otherwise?

Just go to the agm but not in the edit and copy the link, I couldn’t get to it. Did you publish it yet?
Jan. 8, 2019 at 12:09 p.m.
Just go to the agm but not in the edit and copy the link, I couldn’t get to it. Did you publish it yet?

Sorry for the delay. Here it is. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/944150

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll