Forums/Armchair-GM

Brassard for Nuge

Created by: Riddler
Team: 2018-19 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 6, 2019
Published: Jan. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
There is no question that Nuge is a valuable player to the Oilers. He is underrated, in my opinion. However, to build a contending roster around Connor, the Oilers need to spread out their salary better. Trust me, you don't want to be like the early 2010s Penguins. Sure they made the playoffs but the roster was carried by Sid, Geno, Tanger, and Fleury. You could argue that a player like Nuge is worth $6million for a contender. Edmonton is not a contender and to become one, they need to start making changes. Trading Hall should have been the drastic change but we know how that turned out. Brassard is only $3million and is a pending ufa. Edmonton can decide what to do with him then. Oleksiak is on pace for 7-9 goals this year, though his shot, if used more, can score some more. The Oilers need goals from other places than their top two lines. Jamie is a good shutdown defender who is a decent skater. Also, he is left handed but plays better on the right side.

So why would Edmonton retain salary on Nuge if this is supposed to be a cap dump? I think, sure it'd be smarter if Edmonton did any other deal that involved no retained salary but unless Maatta is the defenseman in this deal, Pittsburgh needs the retained salary. If Edmonton retains, they can get more back for Nuge. In this deal, on the surface, Edmonton gains no cap space and loses no cap space, but after this season, depending on what they do with Brassard, they save money even with retained salary.

Should Edmonton do this deal? I don't think so if there are obviously better offers but I believe the value is close to fair, it's just the reasoning seems pointless for Edmonton. Look, I just want Nuge on the Pens, alright?

Also, JS Dea is young, depth to sweeten the pot. Edmonton just has to give up Malone who is almost 30 and happens to be related to Ryan Malone so I threw him in. Sue me.

Kassian is another cap dump (yes, his contact matches Oleksiak's retained, though) and provides Pittsburgh a depth player, most likely a harmless healthy scratch at that contract. If the playoffs get rough, this might satisfy some people.

I think it's clear why the Pens would do this deal. Oleksiak won't be needed when Schultz comes back. Dea is another depth forward who probably won't be called up again. Brassard isn't working out and Nuge is obviously a help in scoring and penalty kill. And if there is retained salary for Nuge, then sweet. Also, the Pens are in win now, the first round pick is tradeable. They are good enough at drafting, it just takes players time to develop.

Do I think this is fair? It's close. Should Pitt do this? Yeah. Should Edmonton do this? Depends on the other offers for Nuge. No harm in keeping him either.

Just an idea, don't get too mad. Thanks for taking your time, and have a good day folks.
Trades
EDM
  1. Brassard, Derick
  2. Dea, Jean-Sébastien
  3. Oleksiak, Jamie ($187,500 retained)
  4. 2019 1st round pick (PIT)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$73,474,059$0$982,500$6,025,941
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$734,167$734,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 5
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$794,167$794,167
LD
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 5
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 8, 2019 at 8:13 a.m.
LeBRONTO_maple_leafs
I think the value is fair but I agree that Edmonton should consider other offers. Good explanation and trade, nonetheless
Jan. 8, 2019 at 8:15 a.m.
Austin Cookie
Quoting: LeBRONTOmapleleafs
I think the value is fair but I agree that Edmonton should consider other offers. Good explanation and trade, nonetheless

Agreed. I think if Brassard could be resigned for less than $6 million, than it would be good for Edmonton. I like the Oleksiak fit.
Riddler liked this.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 8:38 a.m.
Who adds what?
Tldr, but after the wheels came off Brass in Pittsburgh, Nugent Hopkins would be a huge upgrade.

I don't see the point for Edmonton, unless you give them some wings so they can make the playoffs, though. Or at least some trade chips to get some wings.
Riddler liked this.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 8:56 a.m.
Quoting: Eli
Tldr, but after the wheels came off Brass in Pittsburgh, Nugent Hopkins would be a huge upgrade.

I don't see the point for Edmonton, unless you give them some wings so they can make the playoffs, though. Or at least some trade chips to get some wings.

Yeah, unfortunately I agree. Ideally, they could flip Brassard or use the cap space in the off-season to sign a winger or two
Eli liked this.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 8:56 a.m.

Yeah, unfortunately I agree. Ideally, they could flip Brassard or use the cap space in the off-season to sign a winger or two
Jan. 8, 2019 at 8:57 a.m.
I don't know why it quoted three times my bad ^
Jan. 8, 2019 at 9:25 a.m.
exo2769
I understand why both Brassard and Nuge are being traded. The hard part IMO from the EDM side is the $3M retained for 2 more years. There are just other options for them where they probably won't have to retain. I do think PIT should trade Brassard @ the TDL regardless of their position. It's not that PIT isn't a not contender. Clearly they are, but I think they (now) have one of the worst farm systems in the NHL. It would be a smart move to get something for Brassard since he's not really helping out this PIT team.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 9:27 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Riddler

I think if you aren't counting on Schultz coming back this year, they could flip him to a rebuilding club for a top line wing. Most Pens builds seem to scratch Maatta this year. He's another good trade chip. Cheap Tall Guy fits Chiarelli's model of a hockey player better than any other GM's, so maybe he frees them up to trade a different defenseman with some value. It's not unworkable, and it's a heck of an upgrade. Good luck. Go Metropolitan Division!
Riddler liked this.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 9:47 a.m.
Very creative, and value is fair. Good job!
Riddler liked this.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 9:59 a.m.
Shibbal18
0% chance theyre retaining half on RNH, but the idea is fair
I think if you aren't counting on Schultz coming back this year, they could flip him to a rebuilding club for a top line wing. Most Pens builds seem to scratch Maatta this year. He's another good trade chip. Cheap Tall Guy fits Chiarelli's model of a hockey player better than any other GM's, so maybe he frees them up to trade a different defenseman with some value. It's not unworkable, and it's a heck of an upgrade. Good luck. Go Metropolitan Division!

Agreed all around and same to you! #Metro4TheCup
Eli liked this.
Quoting: toque
Very creative, and value is fair. Good job!

Thanks a lot!
Jan. 8, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18
0% chance theyre retaining half on RNH, but the idea is fair

Yeah that's the unfortunate part. You never know with Chiarelli I guess haha
Jan. 8, 2019 at 10:01 a.m.
Quoting: exo2769
I understand why both Brassard and Nuge are being traded. The hard part IMO from the EDM side is the $3M retained for 2 more years. There are just other options for them where they probably won't have to retain. I do think PIT should trade Brassard @ the TDL regardless of their position. It's not that PIT isn't a not contender. Clearly they are, but I think they (now) have one of the worst farm systems in the NHL. It would be a smart move to get something for Brassard since he's not really helping out this PIT team.

Agreed on the salary retention. Wishful thinking on my part. You never know, though. Thanks for the comment!
Eli and exo2769 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 10:04 a.m.
jimmmyg
Love it. I think Brass has done really well lately and Pearson-Brassard-Kessel might have been our best line on Sunday against Chicago - but I have loved RNH for some time now and think he would fit in great in PIT. You did a good job of explaining this move and I agree with you on most of it I just think $3m retained is a lot for EDM to swallow. It makes perfect sense capwise for this season, but if they did decide to keep Brassard then it would essentially be whatever his contract is plus another $3m. The compensation is there for the retention for sure I just think $3mil over the next two years is a lot. Easy fix though, just soften the retention to $2m and keep the trade as is, or swap out Dea for Simon (would hate to lose either, honestly).

Kassian would be a decent RW on the 4th line with ZAR and Sheahan too. Never a bad thing to have depth that can hop in and play bottom 6 minutes.
Riddler liked this.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 10:08 a.m.
ComYog
I think the issue is gonna be the retention. But it does have promise. I think maybe a Brass Maatta for RNH Kassian works a little better with only 2 retained.
Riddler liked this.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 10:18 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: ComYog
I think the issue is gonna be the retention. But it does have promise. I think maybe a Brass Maatta for RNH Kassian works a little better with only 2 retained.

Yeah, I think the players come out fair, there. As long as all of Edmonton's LHD keep spending half of each season on LTIR and then coming back, they have to build their team as if they have zero cap space, because, when healthy, they have zero cap space, but they also should be interested in an LHD who's been healthy a lot.
Riddler liked this.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 11:00 a.m.
Quoting: jimmmyg
Love it. I think Brass has done really well lately and Pearson-Brassard-Kessel might have been our best line on Sunday against Chicago - but I have loved RNH for some time now and think he would fit in great in PIT. You did a good job of explaining this move and I agree with you on most of it I just think $3m retained is a lot for EDM to swallow. It makes perfect sense capwise for this season, but if they did decide to keep Brassard then it would essentially be whatever his contract is plus another $3m. The compensation is there for the retention for sure I just think $3mil over the next two years is a lot. Easy fix though, just soften the retention to $2m and keep the trade as is, or swap out Dea for Simon (would hate to lose either, honestly).

Kassian would be a decent RW on the 4th line with ZAR and Sheahan too. Never a bad thing to have depth that can hop in and play bottom 6 minutes.

Agree with everything you said. Thanks a lot for the feedback and niceties!
Jan. 8, 2019 at 11:06 a.m.
Banned

He gets 59% of his starts in the Dzone, no power play time, and spent a large part of the year on a line with no help while Malkin played with Pearson and Kessel. What do you want from him, 40 goals?

This team will never get great production from it's 3C because they will always be put in difficult spots to actually make that happen. Unless this team finds a LW they will probably be right back to issues again.

While I like the value of the trade I don't think Edmonton does it. Swallowing 3 mil of cap space for time is a hard thing to swallow.
Eli liked this.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 11:06 a.m.
Nugent-Hopkins ($3,000,000 retained), Kassian, and Malone for Brassard, Oleksiak ($187,500 retained), Dea, 1st (#25ish)

This seems near equal value without the retention. I don't see enough going back to Edmonton to justify the retention though.

Edmonton will need to retain if they have any chance of moving Lucic... that mean A LOT of dead cap space for them.
Riddler and Eli liked this.
Jan. 8, 2019 at 11:13 a.m.
Quoting: biglite351
Nugent-Hopkins ($3,000,000 retained), Kassian, and Malone for Brassard, Oleksiak ($187,500 retained), Dea, 1st (#25ish)

This seems near equal value without the retention. I don't see enough going back to Edmonton to justify the retention though.

Edmonton will need to retain if they have any chance of moving Lucic... that mean A LOT of dead cap space for them.

Understandable but the retention is for two years and I would be shocked if they manage to move Lucic within that time. However, I'd probably lessen Nuge's retention to $2million as one of the comments suggested
Jan. 8, 2019 at 12:53 p.m.
ComYog
Quoting: biglite351

Lucic will only be moved as an when the next set of compliance buy outs are a sure thing. Then either edm holds on or pays to shift (but doesnt pay too much).
Right now he is unmoveable without paying a huge amount.
Riddler liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll