SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Using the comparable logic to determine contracts

Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 11, 2019
Published: Jan. 11, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
People on here will continually smash Nylander's contract because his comparables are either making less or produce more.

With that in mind, I am going to do the same thing for Matthews and Marner and watch people tell me how wrong I am for doing what they did with Nylander.

Logic is only logic, if you use logic in all ways and all scenarios. Otherwise its just opinion, speculation and utter nonsense.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$7,500,000
8$11,500,000
4$3,500,000
3$2,600,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$76,525,976$0$602,500$6,474,024
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$11,500,000$11,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,600,000$2,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:13 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Logic is CapFriendly comparables? Logic in the NHL real GMs making comparables? What you wrote make sense. Still surprising to me to think Matthews should get paid the second highest amount in the NHL, though he probably will.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
Comparables dont work. Contracts are signed in different years, by different teams for different players when the salary cap is at different levels.

Had mcdavid signed in 2018 instead of 2017 (a year early) he would have gotten more.

If Stone, Skinner, Rantanen etc. sign before Marner, it pushes his price up.
Juice liked this.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:15 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Logic is CapFriendly comparables? Logic in the NHL real GMs making comparables? What you wrote make sense. Still surprising to me to think Matthews should get paid the second highest amount in the NHL, though he probably will.

If it worked that way everyone would be making less than Wayne Gretzky did in 1982
palhal and Juice liked this.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:19 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I'm trying to work out a metaphor about not only in the ballpark but on the infield, but it's not coming to completion.

It's people who advance a completely-left-field idea (stating with the baseball image) and then say that everyone's entitled to their own (stupid) opinion that irritate me. I posted a similar construction (RFA's in Light of Nylander Deal, to which you didn't respond) where some idiot newbie gave me one star because he thinks Matthews is going to get 13M and Marner 10 and thus my post (11.333 and 8.333) is without merit. I like your numbers here. But I'm outraged that you have Marchment in place of Trevor Moore. I should give you one star.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:22 p.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
If it worked that way everyone would be making less than Wayne Gretzky did in 1982

I am giving you a standing ovation right now
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:31 p.m.
Banned
Comparables dont work. Contracts are signed in different years, by different teams for different players when the salary cap is at different levels.

Had mcdavid signed in 2018 instead of 2017 (a year early) he would have gotten more.

If Stone, Skinner, Rantanen etc. sign before Marner, it pushes his price up.

And yet countless people on here used Pastrnak, Gudreau, Elhers etc as comparables to say Nylander is overpaid. It can't be cut both ways. Matthews will get paid close to or at McDavid's number but not more. Its too soon after he signed it and he is clearly a better player than Matthews. Matthews will very soon be the 2nd best player in the league but he'll never be the best. So using McDavid as the comparable, Matthews will get a little less than him.

I think Petterson may be the player who will eventually get a bigger deal than McDavid but that will be a full 4 years after he signed his deal so it'll make sense from an inflationary standpoint.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:35 p.m.
I feel like you're treating contract negotiations with star players the same way your home/auto insurance premiums are delivered to you.

It's not a computer program that takes your stats, compares it with everyone else in the area, and spits out your premium (or salary in this case).

You can do all the number crunching you want....and I'm sure both sides of the negotiation do. At the end of the day, if you present a number and term to the star player...and they say 'no'. What do you do? Run another simulation in excel and see if it comes up with different figures? Hold firm, never signing them to more that what your spreadsheet tells you and hope no one offer sheets two of the most desirable players in the league?

This is a negotiation between a franchise and it's two most important members. If you want them to sign to team-friendly terms, you don't accomplish that with a laptop and an iron-fist.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:43 p.m.
I think most of your numbers are pretty good - would be great for TML if MM would sign for that... if Kapanen is worth 3.5M then they should just trade him now as they wont be able to afford him and would be better off with a $4M D man ... just remember that Matthews is an RFA ... which deflates his price a little ... he should come in under JT in the 10-10.5 range ... I mean we ALL know who the best player in the world is right now & AM can not take over a game the way McDavid can.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:44 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
And yet countless people on here used Pastrnak, Gudreau, Elhers etc as comparables to say Nylander is overpaid. It can't be cut both ways. Matthews will get paid close to or at McDavid's number but not more. Its too soon after he signed it and he is clearly a better player than Matthews. Matthews will very soon be the 2nd best player in the league but he'll never be the best. So using McDavid as the comparable, Matthews will get a little less than him.

I think Petterson may be the player who will eventually get a bigger deal than McDavid but that will be a full 4 years after he signed his deal so it'll make sense from an inflationary standpoint.

It doesn't work that way. He will be paid what he wants to be paid really.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Juice
I feel like you're treating contract negotiations with star players the same way your home/auto insurance premiums are delivered to you.

It's not a computer program that takes your stats, compares it with everyone else in the area, and spits out your premium (or salary in this case).

You can do all the number crunching you want....and I'm sure both sides of the negotiation do. At the end of the day, if you present a number and term to the star player...and they say 'no'. What do you do? Run another simulation in excel and see if it comes up with different figures? Hold firm, never signing them to more that what your spreadsheet tells you and hope no one offer sheets two of the most desirable players in the league?

This is a negotiation between a franchise and it's two most important members. If you want them to sign to team-friendly terms, you don't accomplish that with a laptop and an iron-fist.

This isn't so much me saying that this is the only way to do things. I understand there is so much more that goes into contract negotiations than pushing a piece of paper with a dollar amount on it across a table. I just find it funny how certain people on here are 100% certain that Nylander is over paid because they use comparables from years ago but will then at the same time say that Matthews and Marner will set new bars because comparables don't matter.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:50 p.m.
This isn't so much me saying that this is the only way to do things. I understand there is so much more that goes into contract negotiations than pushing a piece of paper with a dollar amount on it across a table. I just find it funny how certain people on here are 100% certain that Nylander is over paid because they use comparables from years ago but will then at the same time say that Matthews and Marner will set new bars because comparables don't matter.

Anyone who wants to project the career of Nylander based on 15 games coming off no training camp is trolling
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:51 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BStockHockey
I think most of your numbers are pretty good - would be great for TML if MM would sign for that... if Kapanen is worth 3.5M then they should just trade him now as they wont be able to afford him and would be better off with a $4M D man ... just remember that Matthews is an RFA ... which deflates his price a little ... he should come in under JT in the 10-10.5 range ... I mean we ALL know who the best player in the world is right now & AM can not take over a game the way McDavid can.

I honestly don't know what is going to happen but I just find it funny how people on here say they use comparables to determine Nylander is completely overpaid but then are adamant that Matthews and Marner are going to set the bar for salaries moving forward. Some people want to see the Leafs burn more than they want their own teams to succeed.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:52 p.m.
Banned
Anyone who wants to project the career of Nylander based on 15 games coming off no training camp is trolling

Or just plain stupid. He's been playing much better and has been snake bitten, the advance stats for the Leafs with him on the ice have been better than without him. It'll turn around and he'll go for a run of 10 games where he scores a pile of points and everyone will shut up.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 12:55 p.m.
Banned
It doesn't work that way. He will be paid what he wants to be paid really.

More or less yes. There will be a negotiation and a contract will get signed. And when it does, it won't be a problem for the Leafs. Why? Because when you have the star power they have, you are doing pretty good no matter what they are getting paid. Teams that overpay depth are ones that have real problems. I think the middle class of the NHL will start feeling the pinch in the coming years.

The JVR's in the league won't be getting 7 million anymore, they'll be getting 4.5 million and guys like Beagle and the rest of the bottom 6 players Vancouver signed won't get over 1.5 million soon. It'll be stars getting star money and everyone scratching out what they can get but it won't be near as much as it used to be.
Juice liked this.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 1:17 p.m.
Teams that overpay depth are ones that have real problems.

Yes. Absolutely agree

The JVR's in the league won't be getting 7 million anymore, they'll be getting 4.5 million and guys like Beagle and the rest of the bottom 6 players Vancouver signed won't get over 1.5 million soon. It'll be stars getting star money and everyone scratching out what they can get but it won't be near as much as it used to be.

The only think I wonder about this...with the cap jumping up each year...those teams sitting near the cap floor will need to give their money somewhere. I'm thinking back to 2011-12 when Columbus signed James Wisniewski to a $5.5m contract which, if memory serves me correct...they kind of outbid what people figured he'd be worth because they needed to get to the floor. I may be wrong on that.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.
Lenny7
More entertaining game than whining about people undervaluing or overvaluing Nylander...

GUESS THE COMPARABLE'S!

-Matthews: Tavares (Easy enough...I mean, he could easily get McDavid money, but yeah, I see where your head is at)
-Marner: Tarasenko? Maybe...signed before the 15/16 season, so there'd be a bump, but sure.
-Kapanen: ? Can't guess this one. Thought Reinhart, which would make sense but he only signed for 2 years.
-Johnsson: ? Pageau is the closest $ amount that I can think of, but not sure who this one is either.

I think I'm 2/4, but could be wrong...can anyone guess the last 2?
Jan. 11, 2019 at 1:22 p.m.
Banned
Yes. Absolutely agree

The only think I wonder about this...with the cap jumping up each year...those teams sitting near the cap floor will need to give their money somewhere. I'm thinking back to 2011-12 when Columbus signed James Wisniewski to a $5.5m contract which, if memory serves me correct...they kind of outbid what people figured he'd be worth because they needed to get to the floor. I may be wrong on that.

There will always be GM's that need to make a splash and overpay guys but its going to become less and less. Especially if star players get the sort of contracts people on here are talking about. There will just be no case in giving mid range guys upper middle class money. (JVR getting 7 million a year is a mid range player getting upper class money) If the Leafs hand out a huge chunk of change to their stars, how can they give Kapanen 5 million? Or sign guys like Bozak and other middle 6 players that kind of money? Look at Tampa as an example, they are going to have to move out players like Johnson and Palat and essentially get nothing because they just really need to move salary to afford guys like Point, Sergachev and Vasilevsky.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 1:28 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Lenny7
More entertaining game than whining about people undervaluing or overvaluing Nylander...

GUESS THE COMPARABLE'S!

-Matthews: Tavares (Easy enough...I mean, he could easily get McDavid money, but yeah, I see where your head is at)
-Marner: Tarasenko? Maybe...signed before the 15/16 season, so there'd be a bump, but sure.
-Kapanen: ? Can't guess this one. Thought Reinhart, which would make sense but he only signed for 2 years.
-Johnsson: ? Pageau is the closest $ amount that I can think of, but not sure who this one is either.

For Matthews I used McDavid and Eichel as comparables. All 3 were drafted close to the same time, all 3 are franchise centres and Matthews is better than Eichel but not as good as McDavid.
Marner I used Pastrnak as a comparable but could also use Draisaitl as well.
Kapanen I used Boone Jenner
And I can't honestly remember who I used for Johnsson.

My main point was that I find it funny how the same people who used comparables to say Nylander is massively overpaid, throw that whole arguement in the trash and say Matthews will get 14 million at least.
Lenny7 liked this.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 1:35 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7

GUESS THE COMPARABLE'S!

I'd say the best comparison I can think of is the NHL Salary Cap and the Real Estate Market.

Just because someone paid $1m for a house two years ago doesn't mean someone today can buy a similar house in a similar neighbourhood for the same $1m. There's a chance you'd have to pay $1.3m to find a home on a smaller lot that still needs some renovations. The $1m home is still considered the more desirable property...but you're buying something today, in a completely different market.
Jan. 11, 2019 at 1:38 p.m.
Lenny7
I'd say the best comparison I can think of is the NHL Salary Cap and the Real Estate Market.

Just because someone paid $1m for a house two years ago doesn't mean someone today can buy a similar house in a similar neighbourhood for the same $1m. There's a chance you'd have to pay $1.3m to find a home on a smaller lot that still needs some renovations. The $1m home is still considered the more desirable property...but you're buying something today, in a completely different market.

Oh for sure, I was just trying to match up the contracts. @LoganOllivier: It would have taken me days to guess Boone Jenner hahaha

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll